ibeat mp3 player and memory stick - OS2

This is a discussion on ibeat mp3 player and memory stick - OS2 ; I don't have any problems to get other memory sticks to work with OS2 but how do I get trekstor i.beat censo mp3 player to work with os2. The stick will be recognized as a stick ( i get a ...

  1. ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    I don't have any problems to get other memory sticks to work with OS2
    but how do I get trekstor i.beat censo mp3 player to work with os2. The
    stick will be recognized as a stick ( i get a drive icon) but I could
    not any access to it. I also could not format it with dfsee. Dfsee
    recognized it not as a drive.

    Has anybody found a solution?

    Stefan

  2. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan.Radke wrote:
    > I don't have any problems to get other memory sticks to work with OS2
    > but how do I get trekstor i.beat censo mp3 player to work with os2. The
    > stick will be recognized as a stick ( i get a drive icon) but I could
    > not any access to it. I also could not format it with dfsee. Dfsee
    > recognized it not as a drive.
    >
    > Has anybody found a solution?
    >
    > Stefan

    You may have to delete the existing partition and recreate it - seems
    Windows partitioning tools are not overly friendly to other os's.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Peter Brown schrieb:
    > Hi Stefan
    >
    > Stefan.Radke wrote:
    >> I don't have any problems to get other memory sticks to work with OS2
    >> but how do I get trekstor i.beat censo mp3 player to work with os2.
    >> The stick will be recognized as a stick ( i get a drive icon) but I
    >> could not any access to it. I also could not format it with dfsee.
    >> Dfsee recognized it not as a drive.
    >>
    >> Has anybody found a solution?
    >>
    >> Stefan

    > You may have to delete the existing partition and recreate it - seems
    > Windows partitioning tools are not overly friendly to other os's.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    I found no way to do it. Neither Dfsee nor Ecs are able to get access
    and create a new partion.

    Regards

    Stefan

  4. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan.Radke wrote:
    > Peter Brown schrieb:
    >> Hi Stefan
    >>
    >> Stefan.Radke wrote:
    >>> I don't have any problems to get other memory sticks to work with OS2
    >>> but how do I get trekstor i.beat censo mp3 player to work with os2.
    >>> The stick will be recognized as a stick ( i get a drive icon) but I
    >>> could not any access to it. I also could not format it with dfsee.
    >>> Dfsee recognized it not as a drive.
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody found a solution?
    >>>
    >>> Stefan

    >> You may have to delete the existing partition and recreate it - seems
    >> Windows partitioning tools are not overly friendly to other os's.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete

    > I found no way to do it. Neither Dfsee nor Ecs are able to get access
    > and create a new partion.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stefan

    I have no experience of that particular mp3 player and can only offer
    some questions and limited experience as an attempt at help:-

    What buildlevels of the usb drivers and os2dasd.dmd are in use there?

    USB drivers E/O/UHCI.SYS, USBD.SYS, USBHID.SYS and USBMSD.ADD should all
    report 10.162 when using bldlevel command, OS2DASD.DMD should report
    14.104 - that will confirm you have the latest drivers installed.

    Is the mp3 player using fat32 format? - Do you have the current fat32
    drivers installed? http://fat32.netlabs.org/site/index.xml

    Does the mp3 player need to have extra software installed in order to
    access it with a USB capable Windows system? - If "Yes" then it is
    probably not a "standard" USB device - look for anything that states it
    is a U3 device as I think those have a hidden partition that may cause
    problems.

    I have not fiddled much with mp3 players - I prefer real sounds (LP, CD
    :-) but my youngest son has had several. Of these 1 had a fixed memory
    amount and was difficult to access with eCS(OS/2) but that may have been
    due to the older drivers that were current at the time. The device used
    fat16 but the partition had to be deleted and recreated using LVM before
    we could get to use it but even then it could stop responding when
    reading/writing sometimes needing a reboot to recover.

    The other 2 both had a drive slot for an external card and claimed on
    the packaging that they could be used as "normal" drives ie not mp3
    files only. These 2 worked fine with eCS and current drivers - needed
    fat32 drivers installed as well.

    A thought that does come to mind: If you have a Registered DFSee and
    none of the above has helped maybe you could try asking Jan (DFSee) for
    some help/advice - he may be the only person capable of explaining how
    your mp3 storage system works.

    Hope the above is of some help.

    Pete

  5. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Peter Brown schrieb:
    > Hi Stefan
    >
    > Stefan.Radke wrote:
    >> Peter Brown schrieb:
    >>> Hi Stefan

    >>> You may have to delete the existing partition and recreate it - seems
    >>> Windows partitioning tools are not overly friendly to other os's.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Pete

    >> I found no way to do it. Neither Dfsee nor Ecs are able to get access
    >> and create a new partion.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Stefan

    > I have no experience of that particular mp3 player and can only offer
    > some questions and limited experience as an attempt at help:-
    >

    > What buildlevels of the usb drivers and os2dasd.dmd are in use there?
    >
    > USB drivers E/O/UHCI.SYS, USBD.SYS, USBHID.SYS and USBMSD.ADD should all
    > report 10.162 when using bldlevel command, OS2DASD.DMD should report
    > 14.104 - that will confirm you have the latest drivers installed.
    >
    > Is the mp3 player using fat32 format? - Do you have the current fat32
    > drivers installed? http://fat32.netlabs.org/site/index.xml
    >
    > Does the mp3 player need to have extra software installed in order to
    > access it with a USB capable Windows system? - If "Yes" then it is
    > probably not a "standard" USB device - look for anything that states it
    > is a U3 device as I think those have a hidden partition that may cause
    > problems.
    >
    > I have not fiddled much with mp3 players - I prefer real sounds (LP, CD
    > :-) but my youngest son has had several. Of these 1 had a fixed memory
    > amount and was difficult to access with eCS(OS/2) but that may have been
    > due to the older drivers that were current at the time. The device used
    > fat16 but the partition had to be deleted and recreated using LVM before
    > we could get to use it but even then it could stop responding when
    > reading/writing sometimes needing a reboot to recover.
    >
    > The other 2 both had a drive slot for an external card and claimed on
    > the packaging that they could be used as "normal" drives ie not mp3
    > files only. These 2 worked fine with eCS and current drivers - needed
    > fat32 drivers installed as well.
    >

    > A thought that does come to mind: If you have a Registered DFSee and
    > none of the above has helped maybe you could try asking Jan (DFSee) for
    > some help/advice - he may be the only person capable of explaining how
    > your mp3 storage system works.
    >
    > Hope the above is of some help.
    >
    > Pete

    Thank Pete for your detailed answer.

    Indead I've installed the latest drivers and also the latest fat32
    driver is installed.
    I treid to format the stick as described in Voice newsletter June 2006
    wihout any success
    I guess it a good idea to ask Jan for some help.

    Thanks
    Stefan

  6. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Hallo Stefan,

    I have a Trekstor jump player and tried to get it working with OS/2
    but without success.

    Most likely this is because of the non-standard sector size: DFSee
    reports a sector size of 2048 byte! I tried and deleted the original
    partition (primary FAT) and recreated it with OS/2s fdisk and format.
    But the player did not work anymore, it got stuck at the initial "boot-
    logo". Deleting and recreating the partition on a Windows2000 system
    cured this.
    I'm surprised that FAT supports 2048 byte sectors.

    I've contacted Jan, but there seems to be no solution. AFAIK OS/2 is
    not able to handle non-512 byte sectors, and the player firmware seems
    to rely on this format :-(

    Regards
    Stefan

    On 12 Mai, 18:14, "Stefan.Radke" wrote:
    > Indead I've installed the latest drivers and also the latest fat32
    > driver is installed.
    > I treid to format the stick as described in Voice newsletter June 2006
    > wihout any success
    > I guess it a good idea to ask Jan for some help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stefan

  7. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    On 15 May 2007 04:00:59 -0700, Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > I have a Trekstor jump player and tried to get it working with OS/2
    > but without success.
    >
    > Most likely this is because of the non-standard sector size: DFSee
    > reports a sector size of 2048 byte!
    >
    > I've contacted Jan, but there seems to be no solution. AFAIK OS/2 is
    > not able to handle non-512 byte sectors, and the player firmware seems
    > to rely on this format :-(

    There's a driver from Dani called DANIN512.FLT that purports to enable
    support for non-512-byte/sector devices. I've no idea if it would work in
    this case, but you might investigate. A search on Hobbes should turn it
    up.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  8. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Alex Taylor schrieb:
    > On 15 May 2007 04:00:59 -0700, Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >> I have a Trekstor jump player and tried to get it working with OS/2
    >> but without success.
    >>
    >> Most likely this is because of the non-standard sector size: DFSee
    >> reports a sector size of 2048 byte!
    >>
    >> I've contacted Jan, but there seems to be no solution. AFAIK OS/2 is
    >> not able to handle non-512 byte sectors, and the player firmware seems
    >> to rely on this format :-(

    > There's a driver from Dani called DANIN512.FLT that purports to enable
    > support for non-512-byte/sector devices. I've no idea if it would work in
    > this case, but you might investigate. A search on Hobbes should turn it
    > up.

    Using DANIN512.FLT I can see via dfsee the stick, but all trials to get
    access are in vain. I get always the message the stick isn't correctly
    formated.

    Stefan

  9. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Alex Taylor schrieb:
    > On 15 May 2007 04:00:59 -0700, Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >> I have a Trekstor jump player and tried to get it working with OS/2
    >> but without success.
    >>
    >> Most likely this is because of the non-standard sector size: DFSee
    >> reports a sector size of 2048 byte!
    >>
    >> I've contacted Jan, but there seems to be no solution. AFAIK OS/2 is
    >> not able to handle non-512 byte sectors, and the player firmware seems
    >> to rely on this format :-(

    > There's a driver from Dani called DANIN512.FLT that purports to enable
    > support for non-512-byte/sector devices. I've no idea if it would work in
    > this case, but you might investigate. A search on Hobbes should turn it
    > up.

    Using DANIN512.FLT I can see via dfsee the stick, but all trials to get
    access are in vain. I get always the message the stick isn't correctly
    formated.

    Stefan

  10. Re: ibeat mp3 player and memory stick

    Alex Taylor schrieb:
    > On 15 May 2007 04:00:59 -0700, Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >> I have a Trekstor jump player and tried to get it working with OS/2
    >> but without success.
    >>
    >> Most likely this is because of the non-standard sector size: DFSee
    >> reports a sector size of 2048 byte!
    >>
    >> I've contacted Jan, but there seems to be no solution. AFAIK OS/2 is
    >> not able to handle non-512 byte sectors, and the player firmware seems
    >> to rely on this format :-(

    > There's a driver from Dani called DANIN512.FLT that purports to enable
    > support for non-512-byte/sector devices. I've no idea if it would work in
    > this case, but you might investigate. A search on Hobbes should turn it
    > up.

    Using DANIN512.FLT I can see via dfsee the stick, but all trials to get
    access are in vain. I get always the message the stick isn't correctly
    formated.

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread