external lan disk / hard drive? - OS2

This is a discussion on external lan disk / hard drive? - OS2 ; Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive 160 GB? How does this work? Is it done with samba? How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk? JMS...

  1. external lan disk / hard drive?

    Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive
    160 GB?
    How does this work?
    Is it done with samba?
    How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk?

    JMS

  2. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    Hi Martin

    Martin S. wrote:
    > Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive
    > 160 GB?

    Not sure about the above but generally speaking Yes.

    > How does this work?

    The LAN disk usually has an embedded linux operating system - and Yes, a
    version of samba.

    > Is it done with samba?
    > How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk?
    >
    > JMS

    I think speed varies from device to device. I used to have an NSLU2 with
    a USB drive attached which was maybe a touch slower than I would have
    liked but not the reason for sacking it.

    I got rid of the NSLU2 simply because of the difficulties of using the
    device for most of my users. They wanted to drag'n'drop files into their
    areas of the drive but the samba used would not cooperate as well as it
    should have.

    You will probably find the freecom device similar in that respect with
    no support for EAs at all and difficult to use with the Peer File and
    Print GUI.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:31:28 UTC, "Martin S."
    wrote:

    > Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive
    > 160 GB?
    > How does this work?
    > Is it done with samba?
    > How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk?
    >
    > JMS

    I have a SimpleTech 160Gb SimpleShare attached and access it via Peer
    and NFS from eCS, WinXP, and Linux. The disk is the same speed as most
    IDE drives. The access is limited to network speed.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  4. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Martin
    >
    > Martin S. wrote:
    >> Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive
    >> 160 GB?

    > Not sure about the above but generally speaking Yes.
    >

    >> How does this work?

    > The LAN disk usually has an embedded linux operating system - and Yes, a
    > version of samba.

    I'm hoping to put together some sort of NAS server since there are
    recent devlopments of Samba for OS/2, but I can't get anywhere setting
    it up.

    If anyone wants to give the latest version a try you can get it here

    http://svn.netlabs.org/samba

    If you get it going, please tell me what you did.

    >> Is it done with samba?
    >> How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk?
    >>
    >> JMS
    >>

    > I think speed varies from device to device. I used to have an NSLU2 with
    > a USB drive attached which was maybe a touch slower than I would have
    > liked but not the reason for sacking it.
    >
    > I got rid of the NSLU2 simply because of the difficulties of using the
    > device for most of my users. They wanted to drag'n'drop files into their
    > areas of the drive but the samba used would not cooperate as well as it
    > should have.
    >
    > You will probably find the freecom device similar in that respect with
    > no support for EAs at all and difficult to use with the Peer File and
    > Print GUI.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

  5. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    Hi jp

    jp wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >> Hi Martin
    >>
    >> Martin S. wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to attach a LAN disk like a freecom SL Network Drive
    >>> 160 GB?

    >> Not sure about the above but generally speaking Yes.
    >>

    >>> How does this work?

    >> The LAN disk usually has an embedded linux operating system - and Yes,
    >> a version of samba.

    > I'm hoping to put together some sort of NAS server since there are
    > recent devlopments of Samba for OS/2, but I can't get anywhere setting
    > it up.

    I've given up on embedded linux mini boxes running samba.

    For full compatibility with my network I have a
    mouse/keyboard/monitor-less system box running Warp4 fp15+. No silly
    lack of EA support problems and my users can use File and Print Client
    GUI to access their files on that server.

    If I need to do anything with the server - shutdown, reboot etc - I use
    remote control software, NetOp, to control the server from my system.

    Not as quiet and consumes more power than the Linksys NSLU2 it replaced
    but it works much better :-)

    Regards

    Pete

    > If anyone wants to give the latest version a try you can get it here
    >

    > http://svn.netlabs.org/samba
    >

    > If you get it going, please tell me what you did.
    >

    >>> Is it done with samba?
    >>> How is the speed? Is it much slower than the normal disk?
    >>>
    >>> JMS
    >>>

    >> I think speed varies from device to device. I used to have an NSLU2
    >> with a USB drive attached which was maybe a touch slower than I would
    >> have liked but not the reason for sacking it.
    >>
    >> I got rid of the NSLU2 simply because of the difficulties of using the
    >> device for most of my users. They wanted to drag'n'drop files into
    >> their areas of the drive but the samba used would not cooperate as
    >> well as it should have.
    >>
    >> You will probably find the freecom device similar in that respect with
    >> no support for EAs at all and difficult to use with the Peer File and
    >> Print GUI.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete

  6. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    > I have a SimpleTech 160Gb SimpleShare attached and access it via Peer
    > and NFS from eCS, WinXP, and Linux. The disk is the same speed as most
    > IDE drives. The access is limited to network speed.

    Thank you, sounds interesting.
    What do you mean with "peer"?

    JMS

  7. Re: external lan disk / hard drive?

    On Mon, 14 May 2007 06:46:47 UTC, "Martin S."
    wrote:

    > > I have a SimpleTech 160Gb SimpleShare attached and access it via Peer
    > > and NFS from eCS, WinXP, and Linux. The disk is the same speed as most
    > > IDE drives. The access is limited to network speed.

    > Thank you, sounds interesting.
    > What do you mean with "peer"?
    >
    > JMS

    Normal OS/2 file and print client.