Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM - OS2

This is a discussion on Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM - OS2 ; Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well? For evaluation ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk
    partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it
    supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well?

    For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0 and FDISK
    14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of unfixed W4.0 on it.
    One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended partition still smaller than 8032MB.
    Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit, which
    offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with the LVM boot
    manager instead.

    Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than seeing the
    white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see a black screen with
    a blinking under score and that's it.

    So first question:
    - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix level on
    those existing FDisk W4 installations.

    - if not, how can I recreate the partition boot sector of those W4.0 partitions?

  2. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Sir:

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk
    > partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it
    > supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well?
    >
    > For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0 and
    > FDISK 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of unfixed
    > W4.0 on it. One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended partition still
    > smaller than 8032MB.
    > Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit, which
    > offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with the LVM
    > boot manager instead.
    >
    > Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than seeing
    > the white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see a black
    > screen with a blinking under score and that's it.
    >
    > So first question:
    > - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix
    > level on those existing FDisk W4 installations.
    >
    > - if not, how can I recreate the partition boot sector of those W4.0
    > partitions?

    LVM conversion utility (VCU) only writes LVM info to the parts of the
    partition record that is not used by anything else. Thus, there should
    not be anything that will interfere with normal Warp 4 boot. This I
    know as I have one Warp 4 fp 9-12 partition that is bootable, without
    any LVM modifications (internal enhancements). Once you start adding
    LVM to a Warp 4 system, then you are in unsupported territory. I for
    one don't understand why you are attempting to do so as you own
    (possess) eCS. I understand the need to have one set of boot disks that
    will boot all versions of OS/2 (personal preferences). But why are you
    tinkering with updating Warp 4 with LVM on a fixed disk? Trying to
    create a system to convert to a bootable CD image?

    BTW, the black screen of death sound like you queered the boot process.
    Look to the bootloader. You may need a more recent one or re-install
    of the current one. Else, you changed the partition drive letter by
    adding another partition before the OS/2 partition and the drive letter
    is not correct (under DOS rules). Thus, the bootloader can not find itself.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 28.04.07 21.42 schrieb William L. Hartzell:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Wolfi wrote:
    >> Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4
    >> FDisk partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or
    >> is it supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as
    >> well?
    >>
    >> For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0
    >> and FDISK 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of
    >> unfixed W4.0 on it. One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended
    >> partition still smaller than 8032MB.
    >> Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit,
    >> which offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with
    >> the LVM boot manager instead.
    >>
    >> Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than
    >> seeing the white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see
    >> a black screen with a blinking under score and that's it.
    >>
    >> So first question:
    >> - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix
    >> level on those existing FDisk W4 installations.
    >>
    >> - if not, how can I recreate the partition boot sector of those W4.0
    >> partitions?

    > LVM conversion utility (VCU) only writes LVM info to the parts of the
    > partition record that is not used by anything else. Thus, there should
    > not be anything that will interfere with normal Warp 4 boot.

    This was my understanding so far as well, but recent experience told me
    differently, unfortunately.

    > This I
    > know as I have one Warp 4 fp 9-12 partition that is bootable, without
    > any LVM modifications (internal enhancements). Once you start adding
    > LVM to a Warp 4 system, then you are in unsupported territory. I for
    > one don't understand why you are attempting to do so as you own
    > (possess) eCS. I understand the need to have one set of boot disks that
    > will boot all versions of OS/2 (personal preferences). But why are you
    > tinkering with updating Warp 4 with LVM on a fixed disk? Trying to
    > create a system to convert to a bootable CD image?

    Simply because FDisk cannot handle to boot from where I now need to boot
    additionally installed systems (8GB limitation). And I really don't feel like
    to completely reinstall everything on my W4 box in order to accomplish just that.
    I'm trying to do sufficient FDidk/LVM pre-testing on that test HD before I
    would dare to install MCP/eCS, which would force me to LVM anyway.

    > BTW, the black screen of death sound like you queered the boot process.
    > Look to the bootloader. You may need a more recent one or re-install
    > of the current one.

    I tried several OS2LDR files, including in the end the one from the Beta, but
    it didn't make any difference. So it would indicate that the actual partition
    boot record entry somehow didn't get written correctly by LVM, wouldn't it?
    And re-installing only works by going through the installation process again
    until I can set the partition as Installation Partition?
    I couldn't find any sysinstx.exe on those W4 installations.

    > Else, you changed the partition drive letter by
    > adding another partition before the OS/2 partition and the drive letter
    > is not correct (under DOS rules). Thus, the bootloader can not find
    > itself.

    No, I checked for that. The assigned drive letters in LVM still match the ones
    used in each partition in question's Config.sys.

  4. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Sir:

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Am 28.04.07 21.42 schrieb William L. Hartzell:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Wolfi wrote:
    >>> Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4
    >>> FDisk partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them
    >>> or is it supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0
    >>> installations as well?
    >>>
    >>> For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0
    >>> and FDISK 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of
    >>> unfixed W4.0 on it. One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended
    >>> partition still smaller than 8032MB.
    >>> Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit,
    >>> which offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable
    >>> with the LVM boot manager instead.
    >>>
    >>> Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than
    >>> seeing the white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see
    >>> a black screen with a blinking under score and that's it.
    >>>
    >>> So first question:
    >>> - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix
    >>> level on those existing FDisk W4 installations.
    >>>
    >>> - if not, how can I recreate the partition boot sector of those W4.0
    >>> partitions?

    >> LVM conversion utility (VCU) only writes LVM info to the parts of the
    >> partition record that is not used by anything else. Thus, there
    >> should not be anything that will interfere with normal Warp 4 boot.

    > This was my understanding so far as well, but recent experience told me
    > differently, unfortunately.
    >
    >> This I know as I have one Warp 4 fp 9-12 partition that is bootable,
    >> without any LVM modifications (internal enhancements). Once you start
    >> adding LVM to a Warp 4 system, then you are in unsupported territory.
    >> I for one don't understand why you are attempting to do so as you own
    >> (possess) eCS. I understand the need to have one set of boot disks
    >> that will boot all versions of OS/2 (personal preferences). But why
    >> are you tinkering with updating Warp 4 with LVM on a fixed disk?
    >> Trying to create a system to convert to a bootable CD image?

    > Simply because FDisk cannot handle to boot from where I now need to boot
    > additionally installed systems (8GB limitation). And I really don't feel
    > like to completely reinstall everything on my W4 box in order to
    > accomplish just that.

    I've successfully installed MCP over Warp 4 system. I believe that it
    can be done with eCS 1.0 also. I've not experienced the problems that
    were show stoppers for some people, which is the basis for the
    recommendation to not try this with later versions of eCS. I would
    clone the Warp 4 partition and using the clone, try the install-over.

    > I'm trying to do sufficient FDidk/LVM pre-testing on that test HD before
    > I would dare to install MCP/eCS, which would force me to LVM anyway.
    >
    >> BTW, the black screen of death sound like you queered the boot
    >> process. Look to the bootloader. You may need a more recent one or
    >> re-install of the current one.

    > I tried several OS2LDR files, including in the end the one from the
    > Beta, but it didn't make any difference. So it would indicate that the
    > actual partition boot record entry somehow didn't get written correctly
    > by LVM, wouldn't it?

    Run VCU and see what it does.
    > And re-installing only works by going through the installation process
    > again until I can set the partition as Installation Partition?
    > I couldn't find any sysinstx.exe on those W4 installations.
    >
    >> Else, you changed the partition drive letter by adding another
    >> partition before the OS/2 partition and the drive letter is not
    >> correct (under DOS rules). Thus, the bootloader can not find itself.

    > No, I checked for that. The assigned drive letters in LVM still match
    > the ones used in each partition in question's Config.sys.

    Try Dfsee. It might know what is wrong.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > I've successfully installed MCP over Warp 4 system. *I believe that it
    > can be done with eCS 1.0 also. *I've not experienced the problems that
    > were show stoppers for some people, which is the basis for the
    > recommendation to not try this with later versions of eCS. *I would
    > clone the Warp 4 partition and using the clone, try the install-over.

    Bill, there are several nits that grab some folks - things like shadow
    folders on the desktop, etc. - when doing the upgrade from W4 -> MCP or
    W4/MCP -> eCS or even eCS 1 -> eCS2. Mike Luther - he of the exhaustive
    nit tracking fame - published something like 4 pages of tips a year or so
    back about upgrading versions. Well worth a Google search and read.

    I've been playing with the eCS beta and still can't get a reliable upgrade
    from 1.2, for example. W4 -> eCS is hopeless, especially if you have
    extensive path and libpath edits and lots of programs added on - like
    compilers and DB2 - in the old system. They change just enough to make
    fixing it up a whack-a-mole exercise.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 29.04.07 16.20 schrieb Will Honea:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> I've successfully installed MCP over Warp 4 system. I believe that it
    >> can be done with eCS 1.0 also. I've not experienced the problems that
    >> were show stoppers for some people, which is the basis for the
    >> recommendation to not try this with later versions of eCS. I would
    >> clone the Warp 4 partition and using the clone, try the install-over.

    > Bill, there are several nits that grab some folks - things like shadow
    > folders on the desktop, etc. - when doing the upgrade from W4 -> MCP or
    > W4/MCP -> eCS or even eCS 1 -> eCS2. Mike Luther - he of the exhaustive
    > nit tracking fame - published something like 4 pages of tips a year or so
    > back about upgrading versions. Well worth a Google search and read.
    >
    > I've been playing with the eCS beta and still can't get a reliable upgrade
    > from 1.2, for example. W4 -> eCS is hopeless, especially if you have
    > extensive path and libpath edits and lots of programs added on - like
    > compilers and DB2 - in the old system. They change just enough to make
    > fixing it up a whack-a-mole exercise.

    Since we're already at it, just out of curiosity, is it still possible to do a
    plain MCP installation from eCS 1.2R and/or eCS2.0beta or was this only
    possible with 1.1 and earlier?

  7. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:34:52 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    > Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk
    > partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it
    > supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well?
    >
    > For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0 and FDISK
    > 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of unfixed W4.0 on it.
    > One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended partition still smaller than 8032MB.
    > Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit, which
    > offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with the LVM boot
    > manager instead.

    This is a pretty vague description. What EXACTLY did you do? (I can't
    recall the eCS installer ever offering to "upgrade" partitions - and I
    helped design it, or at least prior versions of it.)

    > Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than seeing the
    > white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see a black screen with
    > a blinking under score and that's it.
    >
    > So first question:
    > - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix level on
    > those existing FDisk W4 installations.

    Again, I'm not following what you actually did. Simply installing an
    LVM-compatible system (and Boot Manager) on the same system shouldn't
    affect the existing Warp 4 systems in any way.

    OTOH, if you actually did something like try to replace the FDISK files
    with LVM files on the Warp 4 systems, then Warp 4 would certainly have to
    be at FixPak 13 or higher.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  8. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Quick summary of a lot of past work here..

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk
    > partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it
    > supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well?
    >
    > For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0 and
    > FDISK 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of unfixed
    > W4.0 on it. One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended partition still
    > smaller than 8032MB.
    > Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit, which
    > offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with the LVM
    > boot manager instead.
    >
    > Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than seeing
    > the white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see a black
    > screen with a blinking under score and that's it.
    >
    > So first question:
    > - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix
    > level on those existing FDisk W4 installations.
    >
    > - if not, how can I recreate the partition boot sector of those W4.0
    > partitions?

    Trying to upgrade Warp 4 to MCP level code only worked reliably for me under
    two conditions.

    A.) The Warp 4 box was at Fix Pack 15 level with all the at that time upgrades
    for everything from PEER to MPTS and TCP/IP in place. That also includes all
    the as of that time Device Drivers from at least a level two version for disk
    work and so forth. Recall that the device driver updates were separated out of
    the formal OS/2 Warp 4 Fix Packs. And in no case, per what I found should any
    of this ever be attempted on a level 12 system or earlier!

    B.) As cautioned by IBM, the conversion from Warp 4 to MCP first has to be done
    with a move to MCP1, followed by the Fix Pack 1 for MCP1 under certain
    conditions. The conversion to LVM which is a part of the MCP1 install only was
    supported and, per what I understand, works properly and interfaces with the
    other needed code with it. It does not work properly with MCP2.

    I didn't try this at all with eCs. At the time I spent many hours researching
    and then doing this on many boxes, it was admitted that the eCs tool set did
    not and would not work through the conversion process with the collection of
    things installed on your desktop, many changes made to your CONFIG.SYS file,
    development tools installed like VAC++, the IBM Developer Tool Box and on and
    on and on. I couldn't afford even more time to work with yet another layer of
    interface issues beyond all this, thus the time to research eCs was, and up
    until now has remained beyond me. This is no criticism of eCs, please....

    The conversion to MCP1 from Warp 4 also means you must move the whole desktop
    operation from Warp4 to the new MCP1 desktop. This means hand migrating the
    folders, applications and the whole user added works to the bare OS/2 install.
    But that is *NOT* the same thing as re-installing everything. It does mean
    you must be very careful about keeping track of every step of the process so
    that you don't mistakenly delete something without getting it moved to the new
    MCP1 desktop so that the exact same interface functionality is assured.

    Then, sigh, you must go through the very same process AGAIN to convert the MCP1
    system to MCP2, including the whole hand move desktop game all over again!
    Only after extensive use to prove you are where you want to be, in my opinion,
    should you kill off the Previous Desktop. Which if you have carefully moved,
    verified operation in the new arena, and are darned sure you have got it right,
    you will have deleted the old Previous Desktop object, thus leaving the
    Previous Desktop back to the pristine object it was when you started this whole
    diamond studded life you had with Warp 4.

    In the process anyone who goes down this pig trail had better have and use
    Checkini, Cleanini, Unimaint or whatever over and over to assure that the whole
    OS/2 INI operation remains stable in the process - at least as I went through
    it and saw all this.

    Further, in no case have I ever tried to work with OS/2 on a hard disk with any
    other operating system jointly installed on it. Thus the LVM issue and
    compatibility of the boot system with other operating systems is totally out of
    my experience level. I've avoided ever thinking about multiple operating
    systems except the possible use of virtual system hosting. Used mobile drive
    trays in a few cases to accomplish this and networking to connect things.

    I would really be interested in whether eCs can migrate a Warp 4 system now
    that it is up to 1.24R and headed for version 2.0. I actually have a proper
    paid for copy of 1.24R here never used, but reserved for 'what if' should that
    be the way needed toward a future. Thus if you can provide detailed
    information on that vector, I'd appreciate you posting your findings!

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  9. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Hi Mike,

    apparently my post was slightly mistakable. The issue I was reporting about
    was, that my 2 freshly installed W4.0 partitions didn't boot up anymore, after
    the eCS beta was installed and changed FDisk to LVM in the process.

    At the moment I'm about to recreate the situation and then additionally
    install the beta again, to get the exact wording of what the installer/LVM was
    saying about the converging process from FDidk/BM to LVM/BM to respond back to
    Alex T.

    I wasn't trying to migrate an existing, over time matured W4 system to eCS,
    rather than trying to learn about the shortcomings of the latest FDisk and
    potential dangers in possibly switching my W4 FP16+ box to LVM, in order to
    install and boot additional OS' from HDD areas beyond FDisk's (14.056/082)
    limited abilities.

    And from the outcome of my first test round, leaving the 2 W4.0 partitions
    unbootable after LVM took over, disaster is closer than assumed.
    Or earlier, when FDisk screwed up, while creating a messed up partition table,
    when it eagerly seemed to be able to handle logical installation partitions,
    reaching slightly beyond the magic 8032MB border. As a result, neither FDisk
    nor LVM could deal with the mess anymore, so I had to erase the partition
    table with a tool from the HDD manufacturer by writing "0" to the disk.
    Thank goodness, it's still just a test disk, at least for now.

    Am 30.04.07 13.08 schrieb mike luther:
> [...]

    > least as I went through it and saw all this.
    >

    > Further, in no case have I ever tried to work with OS/2 on a hard disk
    > with any other operating system jointly installed on it. Thus the LVM
    > issue and compatibility of the boot system with other operating systems
    > is totally out of my experience level. I've avoided ever thinking about
    > multiple operating systems except the possible use of virtual system
    > hosting. Used mobile drive trays in a few cases to accomplish this and
    > networking to connect things.
    >

    > I would really be interested in whether eCs can migrate a Warp 4 system
    > now that it is up to 1.24R and headed for version 2.0. I actually have
    > a proper paid for copy of 1.24R here never used, but reserved for 'what
    > if' should that be the way needed toward a future. Thus if you can
    > provide detailed information on that vector, I'd appreciate you posting

  10. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 30.04.07 09.35 schrieb Alex Taylor:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:34:52 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    >> Does the conversion (or what exactly it is called) of existing W4 FDisk
    >> partitions through LVM depend on a specific fix level on them or is it
    >> supposed to be successful on fresh vintage W4.0 installations as well?
    >>
    >> For evaluation purposes I had created a few partitions with Warp4.0 and FDISK
    >> 14.082 on an empty test HDD and installed 3 instances of unfixed W4.0 on it.
    >> One in a primary, the other 2 in an extended partition still smaller than 8032MB.
    >> Then I added eCS2.0b3 to the extended one beyond the 8032MB limit, which
    >> offered to modify the existing W4.0 partitions to be usable with the LVM boot
    >> manager instead.

    > This is a pretty vague description. What EXACTLY did you do? (I can't
    > recall the eCS installer ever offering to "upgrade" partitions - and I
    > helped design it, or at least prior versions of it.)

    OK, I now recreated the previous situation, with 2 partitions of W4.0
    freshly installed within the FDisk/BM 8032MB limit, which also was used for
    partitioning of that disk.
    Then I let the beta CD boot with the ALT-F2 option and after SNAP and
    OS2CDROM.DMD are displayed to have loaded, it shows:

    "Checking disk integrity....
    The eCS installer detected a problem in your disk layout, this can be fixed
    for you.
    We cannot be held liable <.......>
    Do you want to proceed Y/N
    The problem reported above is a missing LVM fingerprint."

    So, here is, where I said Y and let the problem be fixed, which in turn then
    made my 2 W4.0 partitions being stuck right after being selected in the LVM BM
    with the blinking underscore, where normally the white boot blob should
    briefly appear at that time.

    >> Now when I try to boot any of those W4.0 partitions, rather than seeing the
    >> white boot blob of that selected system, I only get to see a black screen with
    >> a blinking under score and that's it.
    >>
    >> So first question:
    >> - does the replacement of FDisk through LVM depend on a certain fix level on
    >> those existing FDisk W4 installations.

    > Again, I'm not following what you actually did. Simply installing an
    > LVM-compatible system (and Boot Manager) on the same system shouldn't
    > affect the existing Warp 4 systems in any way.

    Well, that's what I thought as well, but had to learn differently.

    > OTOH, if you actually did something like try to replace the FDISK files
    > with LVM files on the Warp 4 systems, then Warp 4 would certainly have to
    > be at FixPak 13 or higher.)

    No nothing like that at all. Both W4.0 installations still are unchanged right
    as they came from the CD.
    Hopefully that now cleared things up.

  11. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:26:56 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    >> This is a pretty vague description. What EXACTLY did you do? (I can't
    >> recall the eCS installer ever offering to "upgrade" partitions - and I
    >> helped design it, or at least prior versions of it.)

    > OK, I now recreated the previous situation, with 2 partitions of W4.0
    > freshly installed within the FDisk/BM 8032MB limit, which also was used for
    > partitioning of that disk.
    > Then I let the beta CD boot with the ALT-F2 option and after SNAP and
    > OS2CDROM.DMD are displayed to have loaded, it shows:
    >
    > "Checking disk integrity....
    > The eCS installer detected a problem in your disk layout, this can be fixed
    > for you.
    > We cannot be held liable <.......>
    > Do you want to proceed Y/N
    > The problem reported above is a missing LVM fingerprint."

    OK, this is new. This must be the new DFSee OEM checker that's been
    discussed. I'm not personally familiar with it; perhaps Jan would be of
    more help re what it actually does...

    > So, here is, where I said Y and let the problem be fixed, which in turn then
    > made my 2 W4.0 partitions being stuck right after being selected in the LVM BM
    > with the blinking underscore, where normally the white boot blob should
    > briefly appear at that time.

    I don't see any reason why it should be necessary to LVM-ize these
    partitions in the first place. Why don't you say No when it asks you,
    then manually add the partitions to Boot Manager using the installation
    volume manager GUI?

    >> Again, I'm not following what you actually did. Simply installing an
    >> LVM-compatible system (and Boot Manager) on the same system shouldn't
    >> affect the existing Warp 4 systems in any way.

    > Well, that's what I thought as well, but had to learn differently.

    Again, I don't actually know what this program is doing. I'd suggest not
    letting it run.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  12. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 01.05.07 09.53 schrieb Alex Taylor:
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:26:56 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    >>> This is a pretty vague description. What EXACTLY did you do? (I can't
    >>> recall the eCS installer ever offering to "upgrade" partitions - and I
    >>> helped design it, or at least prior versions of it.)

    >> OK, I now recreated the previous situation, with 2 partitions of W4.0
    >> freshly installed within the FDisk/BM 8032MB limit, which also was used for
    >> partitioning of that disk.
    >> Then I let the beta CD boot with the ALT-F2 option and after SNAP and
    >> OS2CDROM.DMD are displayed to have loaded, it shows:
    >>
    >> "Checking disk integrity....
    >> The eCS installer detected a problem in your disk layout, this can be fixed
    >> for you.
    >> We cannot be held liable <.......>
    >> Do you want to proceed Y/N
    >> The problem reported above is a missing LVM fingerprint."

    > OK, this is new. This must be the new DFSee OEM checker that's been
    > discussed. I'm not personally familiar with it; perhaps Jan would be of
    > more help re what it actually does...
    >

    >> So, here is, where I said Y and let the problem be fixed, which in turn then
    >> made my 2 W4.0 partitions being stuck right after being selected in the LVM BM
    >> with the blinking underscore, where normally the white boot blob should
    >> briefly appear at that time.

    > I don't see any reason why it should be necessary to LVM-ize these
    > partitions in the first place. Why don't you say No when it asks you,
    > then manually add the partitions to Boot Manager using the installation
    > volume manager GUI?

    Simply because I didn't know any better and thought, how nice and thoughtful
    of that installation program, to take such good care of me and my box;-)

    And I expected this process to be just what I would have to do manually in
    LVM, assuming that it is simply adding the LVM specific volume information to
    those partition boot records and else simply import the rest from the previous
    FDisk 14.082 based BM.

    >>> Again, I'm not following what you actually did. Simply installing an
    >>> LVM-compatible system (and Boot Manager) on the same system shouldn't
    >>> affect the existing Warp 4 systems in any way.

    >> Well, that's what I thought as well, but had to learn differently.

    > Again, I don't actually know what this program is doing. I'd suggest not
    > letting it run.

    In my previous test last night, from which I got that above text, the
    conversion process went well, however.
    Right now I'm in the middle of repeating it again, because I remembered, that
    the first time I intentionally had the last of my created test partitions
    inside the 8032MB restriction to stick out that boundary by 5 or 6 MB, just to
    complete the cylinder border, since I wanted to find out about the limits of
    the latest, just because of this, still rather disappointing, FDisk.

    FDisk still accepted that one though, to be added to the menu and to become
    the Installation partition. I didn't do that last night however, but stuck to
    the cylinder ending just 2MB below that limit.
    Probably in some 2h or so I will know more about the current outcome.

  13. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 29.04.07 12.19 schrieb William L. Hartzell:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Wolfi wrote:

    >> I tried several OS2LDR files, including in the end the one from the
    >> Beta, but it didn't make any difference. So it would indicate that the
    >> actual partition boot record entry somehow didn't get written
    >> correctly by LVM, wouldn't it?

    > Run VCU and see what it does.

    What exactly is/does vcu.exe? I can't seem to locate it here anywhere :-\
    Shouldn't it be together with LVM in .\OS2\?

  14. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Sir:

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Am 29.04.07 12.19 schrieb William L. Hartzell:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Wolfi wrote:

    >>> I tried several OS2LDR files, including in the end the one from the
    >>> Beta, but it didn't make any difference. So it would indicate that
    >>> the actual partition boot record entry somehow didn't get written
    >>> correctly by LVM, wouldn't it?

    >> Run VCU and see what it does.

    > What exactly is/does vcu.exe? I can't seem to locate it here anywhere :-\
    > Shouldn't it be together with LVM in .\OS2\?

    It is on the MCP CD disk, one of them. Should be on the eCS 1.0 disks.
    It is not one of the compressed programs, but is a utility to convert
    MBR, etc. that the installer uses to make the system ready for LVM.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  15. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Tue, 1 May 2007 23:09:42 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > > What exactly is/does vcu.exe? I can't seem to locate it here anywhere :-\
    > > Shouldn't it be together with LVM in .\OS2\?

    > It is on the MCP CD disk, one of them. Should be on the eCS 1.0 disks.
    > It is not one of the compressed programs, but is a utility to convert
    > MBR, etc. that the installer uses to make the system ready for LVM.

    But it doesn't actually touch the MBR.

  16. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:58:05 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    >> I don't see any reason why it should be necessary to LVM-ize these
    >> partitions in the first place. Why don't you say No when it asks you,
    >> then manually add the partitions to Boot Manager using the installation
    >> volume manager GUI?

    > Simply because I didn't know any better and thought, how nice and thoughtful
    > of that installation program, to take such good care of me and my box;-)
    >
    > And I expected this process to be just what I would have to do manually in
    > LVM, assuming that it is simply adding the LVM specific volume information to
    > those partition boot records and else simply import the rest from the previous
    > FDisk 14.082 based BM.

    You DON'T have to add LVM-specific volume information to any partition
    that isn't running an LVM version of OS/2, and I would suggest that you
    don't. Even the newest Boot Manager is perfectly capable of booting
    old-fashioned partitions. Just add your Warp 4 partitions to Boot Manager
    (using the GUI provided by the eCS installer) WITHOUT converting them to
    volumes.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  17. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 14:14:06 -0500, Wolfi wrote:
    >>> I tried several OS2LDR files, including in the end the one from the
    >>> Beta, but it didn't make any difference. So it would indicate that the
    >>> actual partition boot record entry somehow didn't get written
    >>> correctly by LVM, wouldn't it?

    >> Run VCU and see what it does.

    > What exactly is/does vcu.exe? I can't seem to locate it here anywhere :-\
    > Shouldn't it be together with LVM in .\OS2\?

    VCU is a rather stupid utility included in the MCP installer (but not the
    eCS one) which attempts to convert all of your partitions into
    compatibility volumes. Back in the days of eCS 1.1, we made the decision
    to toss it out the window because it tends to cause more problems than it
    solves (which are few, if any).

    I recommend you avoid it.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  18. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Wed, 2 May 2007 15:17:01 UTC, Alex Taylor wrote:

    > > And I expected this process to be just what I would have to do manually in
    > > LVM, assuming that it is simply adding the LVM specific volume information to
    > > those partition boot records and else simply import the rest from the previous
    > > FDisk 14.082 based BM.

    > You DON'T have to add LVM-specific volume information to any partition
    > that isn't running an LVM version of OS/2, and I would suggest that you
    > don't. Even the newest Boot Manager is perfectly capable of booting
    > old-fashioned partitions. Just add your Warp 4 partitions to Boot Manager
    > (using the GUI provided by the eCS installer) WITHOUT converting them to
    > volumes.

    Hi Alex,

    Unfortunately we (Roderick et al) found that this is not completely true.
    While an installed system will work just fine if there are partitions
    without LVM info, the tooling like LVM.EXE will not.

    It will declare such disk as having 'corrupted partition tables'
    an as such cause problems for new installs or changes ...

    Regards, JvW

    PS:
    The DFSee OEM function used in this case is indeed an almost
    direct functional replacement for the VCU program, but without
    the issues that caused with incorrect disk-geometry.

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  19. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Hi Wolfi,

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:44:49 UTC, Wolfi wrote:

    > > Else, you changed the partition drive letter by
    > > adding another partition before the OS/2 partition and the drive letter
    > > is not correct (under DOS rules). Thus, the bootloader can not find
    > > itself.

    > No, I checked for that. The assigned drive letters in LVM still match the ones
    > used in each partition in question's Config.sys.

    The driveletters assigned in LVM are completely meaningless for warp-4.
    (until you would add LVM-awareness to Warp-4 which you do not intend).

    So even if the eCS installation that you add will actually USE the
    added LVM information, Warp-4 will (or should) completely ignore it
    and still assign its driveletters like it used to ...

    That said, adding the eCS partition MAY change that assignment
    depending on how your partition are arranged on the disk.

    I also expect that the eCS install has updated the master boot record (MBR)
    and the IBM BootManager code to be compatible with LVM.

    That SHOULD not be a problem for Warp-4, but maybe something went
    wrong there. Of course the Warp-4 partitions need to appear on the
    menu for this BootManager and that would require the LVM information
    for these partition to have the 'On BM menu' flag set.

    (This is different from the 'old bootmanager' mechanism where you
    simply gave the bootable partitions a 'menu name')

    Anyway, since I think this is a test system for you, to find out
    if Warp-4 and eCS may co-exist, I think the problems could be
    analysed best by repeating the installation and make sure
    there is solid analysis information available in the form
    of DFSee DFSDISK analysis reports.

    I would suggest you install one ore more Warp-4 partitions and
    verify they work, then run a DFSDISK procedure with DFSee
    and save the (6) analysis files for later reference.

    Then install eCS again (causing the problems probably)
    and run another DFSDISK procedure on that, again producing
    the siz analysis files.

    I would be happy to analyse these for you to see if I can
    spot any obvious problems. Please send those (zipped) files
    to me at:

    support AT dfsee DOT com

    Regards, JvW

    PS:
    If you do not have DFSee, you can download a fully functional
    evaluation version from my website:

    http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/dfsee8xx.zip

    The DFSDISK procedure is described below:

    ++++++++++ Running the DFSee DISK analysis procedure (DFSDISK)

    This will collect information needed for analysis of disk problems.
    It will try to find existing and deleted/old partitions and report as
    many details about them as possible.

    It is REQUIRED for formal support by support@dfsee.com

    You would need the DFSDPROC.DFS script that comes with DFSee, plus:
    - For OS/2 DFSDISK.CMD and DFSOS2.EXE

    If you have a running operating system (like eCS or Warp-4)
    you can run it directly from the DFSee menu

    Actions -> DFSDISK, Find partitions -> All disks listed

    Send all DFSDISK?.* files (zipped to one file) to DFSee support at:

    support AT dfsee DOT com

    In 7.11 and later, the '?' stands for the platform, the names for each are:

    DFSDISKo.* for the OS2 versionof DFSee
    ++++++++++

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  20. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On 3 May 2007 09:31:10 GMT, Jan van Wijk wrote:
    >> You DON'T have to add LVM-specific volume information to any partition
    >> that isn't running an LVM version of OS/2, and I would suggest that you
    >> don't. Even the newest Boot Manager is perfectly capable of booting
    >> old-fashioned partitions. Just add your Warp 4 partitions to Boot Manager
    >> (using the GUI provided by the eCS installer) WITHOUT converting them to
    >> volumes.

    > Unfortunately we (Roderick et al) found that this is not completely true.
    > While an installed system will work just fine if there are partitions
    > without LVM info, the tooling like LVM.EXE will not.
    >
    > It will declare such disk as having 'corrupted partition tables'
    > an as such cause problems for new installs or changes ...

    Interesting. Could you provide details?