Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM - OS2

This is a discussion on Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM - OS2 ; Hi Jan, thank you for your kind offer. As I already wrote, in my 2nd and 3rd try I couldn't reproduce the problem and all went well. I think now, I have a pretty good idea, what went wrong the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Hi Jan,

    thank you for your kind offer. As I already wrote, in my 2nd and 3rd try I
    couldn't reproduce the problem and all went well.
    I think now, I have a pretty good idea, what went wrong the first time,
    because previous to that I also managed once to create a situation, where
    neither FDisk nor LVM had been able to make any changes anymore and I had to
    '0'-out the HDD.

    The problem most likely was caused by the original old FDisk residing on the
    W4 installation CD, which is called during the installation process. Even
    though I had the updated build 14.082 on my floppy DISK2, I'm pretty sure that
    on both problematic occasions, I didn't pay enough attention to only use that
    floppy based one and only allow for the CD-based one to let do its
    'Installation Partition' thingy.

    I noticed that the 'old' one lets one do things on a 8+GB HDD, which it then
    doesn't seem to be able to handle anymore while writing the changes to disk or
    even worse, after the mandatory reboot, once one wants to finish things up.

    The new build under same/similar conditions (last boot partition slightly
    exceeding the 8032MB boundary) already greyed out some of its menu options,
    which the CD-one still had allowed.

    And then adding LVM most likely just stumbled over the mess the old FDisk had
    made and also refused to allow for any changes, since it couldn't make sense
    out the (more or less invalid) records.

    For my 2md and 3rd try I paid special attention to only use the 'new' FDisk
    for all partitioning tasks and wasn't having any such problems anymore.

    Wolfi

    Am 03.05.07 04.47 schrieb Jan van Wijk:
> [...]
    >>> itself.

    >> No, I checked for that. The assigned drive letters in LVM still match the ones
    >> used in each partition in question's Config.sys.

    > The driveletters assigned in LVM are completely meaningless for warp-4.
    > (until you would add LVM-awareness to Warp-4 which you do not intend).
    >
    > So even if the eCS installation that you add will actually USE the
    > added LVM information, Warp-4 will (or should) completely ignore it
    > and still assign its driveletters like it used to ...
    >
    > That said, adding the eCS partition MAY change that assignment
    > depending on how your partition are arranged on the disk.
    >
    > I also expect that the eCS install has updated the master boot record (MBR)
    > and the IBM BootManager code to be compatible with LVM.
    >
    > That SHOULD not be a problem for Warp-4, but maybe something went
    > wrong there. Of course the Warp-4 partitions need to appear on the
    > menu for this BootManager and that would require the LVM information
    > for these partition to have the 'On BM menu' flag set.
    >
    > (This is different from the 'old bootmanager' mechanism where you
    > simply gave the bootable partitions a 'menu name')
    >
    > Anyway, since I think this is a test system for you, to find out
    > if Warp-4 and eCS may co-exist, I think the problems could be
    > analysed best by repeating the installation and make sure
    > there is solid analysis information available in the form
    > of DFSee DFSDISK analysis reports.
    >
    > I would suggest you install one ore more Warp-4 partitions and
    > verify they work, then run a DFSDISK procedure with DFSee
    > and save the (6) analysis files for later reference.
    >
    > Then install eCS again (causing the problems probably)
    > and run another DFSDISK procedure on that, again producing
    > the siz analysis files.
    >
    > I would be happy to analyse these for you to see if I can
    > spot any obvious problems. Please send those (zipped) files
    > to me at:
    >
    > support AT dfsee DOT com
    >

    > Regards, JvW
    >
    > PS:
    > If you do not have DFSee, you can download a fully functional
    > evaluation version from my website:
    >
    > http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/dfsee8xx.zip
    >
    > The DFSDISK procedure is described below:
    >
    > ++++++++++ Running the DFSee DISK analysis procedure (DFSDISK)
    >
    > This will collect information needed for analysis of disk problems.
    > It will try to find existing and deleted/old partitions and report as
    > many details about them as possible.
    >
    > It is REQUIRED for formal support by support@dfsee.com
    >
    > You would need the DFSDPROC.DFS script that comes with DFSee, plus:
    > - For OS/2 DFSDISK.CMD and DFSOS2.EXE
    >

    > If you have a running operating system (like eCS or Warp-4)
    > you can run it directly from the DFSee menu
    >
    > Actions -> DFSDISK, Find partitions -> All disks listed
    >

    > Send all DFSDISK?.* files (zipped to one file) to DFSee support at:
    >
    > support AT dfsee DOT com
    >

    > In 7.11 and later, the '?' stands for the platform, the names for each are:

  2. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Thu, 3 May 2007 14:34:02 UTC, Alex Taylor wrote:
    Hi Alex,

    > > Unfortunately we (Roderick et al) found that this is not completely true.
    > > While an installed system will work just fine if there are partitions
    > > without LVM info, the tooling like LVM.EXE will not.
    > >
    > > It will declare such disk as having 'corrupted partition tables'
    > > an as such cause problems for new installs or changes ...

    > Interesting. Could you provide details?

    Not sure if I still have logs from such a situation ...

    It should not be hard to reproduce, just add a partition to
    some existing disk WITHOUT any LVM info.
    (you can do that with DFSee)

    After that, starting LVM.EXE should give the red popup ...

    The reason can be found in the log from 'LVM /startlog:corrupt.log'

    Roderick got into such a situation with a customer.

    I am not 100% sure it will fail all the time, but I am quite sure I
    have been able to recreate the situation on my own system.

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  3. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 03.05.07 04.31 schrieb Jan van Wijk:
    > On Wed, 2 May 2007 15:17:01 UTC, Alex Taylor wrote:
    >
    >>> And I expected this process to be just what I would have to do manually in
    >>> LVM, assuming that it is simply adding the LVM specific volume information to
    >>> those partition boot records and else simply import the rest from the previous
    >>> FDisk 14.082 based BM.

    >> You DON'T have to add LVM-specific volume information to any partition
    >> that isn't running an LVM version of OS/2, and I would suggest that you
    >> don't. Even the newest Boot Manager is perfectly capable of booting
    >> old-fashioned partitions. Just add your Warp 4 partitions to Boot Manager
    >> (using the GUI provided by the eCS installer) WITHOUT converting them to
    >> volumes.

    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Unfortunately we (Roderick et al) found that this is not completely true.
    > While an installed system will work just fine if there are partitions
    > without LVM info, the tooling like LVM.EXE will not.
    >
    > It will declare such disk as having 'corrupted partition tables'
    > an as such cause problems for new installs or changes ...

    What I was also wondering about, when converting an existing W4 FP16+ system
    to LVM, does the FDisk Setboot.exe still work or does it also have to be the
    one from a LVM version, since it also writes to the boot records?

    In all the conversion recipes I've found so far, Setboot.exe never was listed.

  4. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 14:20:34 UTC, Wolfi wrote:

    > What I was also wondering about, when converting an existing W4 FP16+ system
    > to LVM, does the FDisk Setboot.exe still work or does it also have to be the
    > one from a LVM version, since it also writes to the boot records?
    >
    > In all the conversion recipes I've found so far, Setboot.exe never was listed.

    I think the old one still works (sort of :-)

    That is because the info on what to boot next is in a few data sectors
    in the Bootmanager partition (not in bootsectors or LVM info).

    However, that old setboot and even the newer versions that
    come with MCP and eCS had a BUG that could corrupt
    other partitions (like Windows :-) if the BootManager was
    NOT the first primary on the disk.

    eCS now ships with a replacement SETBOOT.EXE that
    is based on DFSee code and does not have that bug.

    With a 'setboot /?' it will identify itself ...

    If you don't have it yet, you can download it from:

    http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/oemsb103.zip

    That has a setboot for DOS, Linux, Windows and OS/2.
    You just need to rename the 'setbos2.exe' from that
    ZIP to setboot.exe ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  5. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Am 05.05.07 13.43 schrieb Jan van Wijk:
    > On Fri, 4 May 2007 14:20:34 UTC, Wolfi wrote:
    >
    >> What I was also wondering about, when converting an existing W4 FP16+ system
    >> to LVM, does the FDisk Setboot.exe still work or does it also have to be the
    >> one from a LVM version, since it also writes to the boot records?
    >>
    >> In all the conversion recipes I've found so far, Setboot.exe never was listed.

    > I think the old one still works (sort of :-)
    >
    > That is because the info on what to boot next is in a few data sectors
    > in the Bootmanager partition (not in bootsectors or LVM info).

    Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation, Jan.

    > However, that old setboot and even the newer versions that
    > come with MCP and eCS had a BUG that could corrupt
    > other partitions (like Windows :-) if the BootManager was
    > NOT the first primary on the disk.

    Oh, very important to know, since I have the BM at the very end of my HDD.

    > eCS now ships with a replacement SETBOOT.EXE that
    > is based on DFSee code and does not have that bug.
    >
    > With a 'setboot /?' it will identify itself ...
    >
    > If you don't have it yet, you can download it from:
    >
    > http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/oemsb103.zip
    >
    > That has a setboot for DOS, Linux, Windows and OS/2.
    > You just need to rename the 'setbos2.exe' from that
    > ZIP to setboot.exe ...

    Most excellent!! :-)
    Thank you very much, Jan. This is highly appreciated.

    Well, by now I stumbled about something else with LVM :-\

    I have no problems adding volumes (so far all compatible ones) to the BM menu,
    but I haven't figured out yet, what conditions have to be met so that LVM
    actually un-greys the 'Remove volume from BM menu' line and let me perform
    such a task.

    Is this supposed to be reserved for LVM volumes only (which would appear to be
    weird)?
    How is one supposed to get an entry for an ordinary volume out of the BM menu
    then?

  6. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    Wolfi schrieb:

    > What I was also wondering about, when converting an existing W4 FP16+ system
    > to LVM, does the FDisk Setboot.exe still work or does it also have to be the
    > one from a LVM version, since it also writes to the boot records?
    >
    > In all the conversion recipes I've found so far, Setboot.exe never was listed.

    IBM made fixes to setboot.exe in 2006,
    but I think they never made the fixed setboot.exe officially available.

    Hendrik

  7. Re: Problem after converting FDisk Partitions to LVM

    mike luther schrieb:

    > Trying to upgrade Warp 4 to MCP level code only worked reliably for me under
    > two conditions.
    >
    > A.) The Warp 4 box was at Fix Pack 15 level with all the at that time upgrades
    > for everything from PEER to MPTS and TCP/IP in place.

    I succeeded with Warp4 and FP 12.

    > The conversion to MCP1 from Warp 4 also means you must move the whole desktop
    > operation from Warp4 to the new MCP1 desktop. This means hand migrating the
    > folders, applications and the whole user added works to the bare OS/2 install.

    That was also true for Migrating from Warp 3 to Warp 4.

    Hendrik

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2