Re: How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist - OS2 ; > Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > WinXP Home 2002 10236 Primary In use WinXP Home 2002 > [ free space 1 ] 10236 > eCS v1.1 1027 Primary In use eCS v1.1 > Programs ...

  1. Re: How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist

    > Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    > WinXP Home 2002 10236 Primary In use WinXP Home 2002
    > [ free space 1 ] 10236
    > eCS v1.1 1027 Primary In use eCS v1.1
    > Programs 517 Logical In use Programs
    > Home 4102 Logical In use Home
    > Data 118304 Logical In use Data
    > SHARED 8197 Logical In use SHARED
    >
    > However, if I use "Guided Install" it seems to want to use the 10 GB for
    > "/" and to re-size (shrink) SHARED to get the space it wants for swap.
    > If I choose "Manual Edit of partitions" it doesn't allow me to create
    > more than one partition out of "[ free space 1 ]".
    >
    > OK, so I figured it was either my unfamiliarity with GRUB or some
    > peculiarity with it that was the problem so I tried to use LVM to
    > apportion "[ free space 1 ]" into those three partitions, but that won't
    > work either. If I go into Physical View and attempt to create a new
    > partition I'm only allowed to create a Primary partition (which I
    > understand "/" needs to be).

    Your problem is that all logical partitions must be adjacent. You've
    arranged your disk so that it's illegal to create anything other than
    primary partitions in the freespace. And since you only have one more
    primary partition allowed, you can only create one.

    If the freespace was _after_ the "eCS v1.1" partition, then you would be
    fine.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  2. Re: How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    > GRUB might be doing something funny to interfere with OS/2's booting.
    > Regardless, I think your mistake was installing GRUB into the MBR - you
    > should install it to the linux root partition instead. *Any decent Linux
    > installer should give you the option.

    Be VERY careful installing Ubuntu if you want to preserve the MBR! About
    thalf the time the chance to install GRUB to the / partition gets past me
    before I catch it and I wind up restoring the MBR to get BM back in
    operation. I have yet to get OS/2 to boot correctly from GRUB, BTW.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist

    F/W/I/W

    I've been down this road a few times and ended up getting a few hard
    drives and a few hard drive caddys and placed each OS on it's
    own hard drive. If one has to reboot to get to the another OS, just
    power down and slip in the wanted OS caddy. Works for me.
    And if one OS craps out it will not effect the others
    my $.02 worth
    I'll go back into my hole now

+ Reply to Thread