USB device detection - OS2

This is a discussion on USB device detection - OS2 ; Hello again, after solving the freeze problem I'm now struggling to get all my USB devices detected and usable: * Hard disk * Memory stick * Card reader * MP3 player * Mobile phone All devices show up as partitioned ...

  1. USB device detection

    Hello again,

    after solving the freeze problem I'm now struggling to get all my USB devices detected and usable:
    * Hard disk
    * Memory stick
    * Card reader
    * MP3 player
    * Mobile phone

    All devices show up as partitioned media in windows and work fine.

    The setup with CWUSBMSD detects the first three and they work fine. The MP3 player and the mobile phone do not even
    show up in the USB resource monitor. USBMSD only detects the HD and the memory stick. I've tried several settings of
    /FIXED_DISKS and /REMOVABLES, without success.

    I've also tried the /CHS option of USBMSD. Doesn't make a difference except for the reported CHS values. E.g. the 30GB
    HD:
    * UDBMSD without /CHS: 28615/64/32
    * UDBMSD with /CHS: 3648/255/63
    * CWUDBMSD: 3876/240/63
    What a mess! AFAIK windows uses */255/63. What will happen when OS/2 uses a different geometry and the device is used
    for data excange between windows and OS/2? Possible data corruption? I assume the best choice is USBMSD with /CHS?
    (But this will not detect the card reader ....)

    I've also tried an older version of USBD.SYS from M. Kiewitz. This one detects only the MP3 player and the mobile phone
    (funny, isn't it?). But the partition tables are bogus and the devices are unusable.

    Any ideas? 2 or 3 out of 5 devices is not a very good quota. Is this due to the windows centric manufacturers producing
    devices which do not conform to the standard or is USB support in OS/2 still that bad?

    Kind regards
    Stefan

  2. Re: USB device detection

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > after solving the freeze problem I'm now struggling to get all my USB devices detected and usable:
    > * Hard disk
    > * Memory stick
    > * Card reader
    > * MP3 player
    > * Mobile phone
    >
    > All devices show up as partitioned media in windows and work fine.

    Which devices required any extra "Windows driver" software?

    > The setup with CWUSBMSD detects the first three and they work fine. The MP3 player and the mobile phone do not even
    > show up in the USB resource monitor. USBMSD only detects the HD and the memory stick. I've tried several settings of
    > /FIXED_DISKS and /REMOVABLES, without success.

    My USBMSD line looks like this:-

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:6

    The only device that I have doubts about it working with is any Mobile
    Phone - I have not so far attempted to connect a Mobile but have had
    success with all other devices on your list that I have tried.

    > I've also tried the /CHS option of USBMSD. Doesn't make a difference except for the reported CHS values. E.g. the 30GB
    > HD:
    > * UDBMSD without /CHS: 28615/64/32
    > * UDBMSD with /CHS: 3648/255/63
    > * CWUDBMSD: 3876/240/63
    > What a mess! AFAIK windows uses */255/63. What will happen when OS/2 uses a different geometry and the device is used
    > for data excange between windows and OS/2? Possible data corruption? I assume the best choice is USBMSD with /CHS?
    > (But this will not detect the card reader ....)
    >
    > I've also tried an older version of USBD.SYS from M. Kiewitz. This one detects only the MP3 player and the mobile phone
    > (funny, isn't it?). But the partition tables are bogus and the devices are unusable.
    >
    > Any ideas? 2 or 3 out of 5 devices is not a very good quota. Is this due to the windows centric manufacturers producing
    > devices which do not conform to the standard or is USB support in OS/2 still that bad?
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Stefan

    I think a good chunk of your problem is that I seem to recall in another
    post that you use danisdasd.dmd rather than os2dasd.dmd. Is there any
    reason for that preference?

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: USB device detection

    > Which devices required any extra "Windows driver" software?

    None.

    > The only device that I have doubts about it working with is any Mobile
    > Phone - I have not so far attempted to connect a Mobile but have had
    > success with all other devices on your list that I have tried.

    On windows, it behaves just like USB memory stick. This is very handy
    for transfering pictures to/from the phone. No additional software
    required.

    > I think a good chunk of your problem is that I seem to recall in another
    > post that you use danisdasd.dmd rather than os2dasd.dmd. Is there any
    > reason for that preference?

    Hmm, AFAIR the reason was that OS2DASD didn't recognise my FAT32
    partitions. Can I assume that this has been fixed in the newest
    version? I'll give it another try ...

    Kind regards
    Stefan

  4. Re: USB device detection

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >> Which devices required any extra "Windows driver" software?

    > None.
    >

    >> The only device that I have doubts about it working with is any Mobile
    >> Phone - I have not so far attempted to connect a Mobile but have had
    >> success with all other devices on your list that I have tried.

    > On windows, it behaves just like USB memory stick. This is very handy
    > for transfering pictures to/from the phone. No additional software
    > required.
    >
    >> I think a good chunk of your problem is that I seem to recall in another
    >> post that you use danisdasd.dmd rather than os2dasd.dmd. Is there any
    >> reason for that preference?

    > Hmm, AFAIR the reason was that OS2DASD didn't recognise my FAT32
    > partitions. Can I assume that this has been fixed in the newest
    > version? I'll give it another try ...
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Stefan

    OS/2 Warp4 has been able to recognise fat32 partitions since fp11/12 if
    I remember correctly.

    I certainly remember that applying a fp - possibly 12 or 13 - and then
    running fdisk totally rearranged my drive letters due to this new, then
    undocumented, feature causing a reboot to fail with the dreaded "cannot
    find system disk" or words to that effect.

    Where I had fat32 installed and the only fat32 drive at the end of my
    drive list the reworking after running fdisk resulted in the fat32 drive
    becoming drive C: - which moved all other drive letters up 1 causing the
    boot failure.

    Having been forewarned I'm sure that you will not have that problem :-)

    Pete

  5. Re: USB device detection

    Hi,

    haven't tried OS2DASD.DMD yet, but I'm a step further regarding the
    card-reader. After increasing the number of /REMOVABLES the reader is
    working now. CWUSBMSD.ADD assigns the first drive letter to the slot
    where a card is detected. I.e. the procedure was to insert the card
    into the reader first and connect the reader to USB afterwards.
    USBMSD.ADD assigns a drive letter to each card reader slot.
    Unfortunately, the cards I'm get almost the last drive letter. With /
    REMOVABLES set to small no drive letter was assigned at all. The
    drawback of USBMSD.ADD is that there are some superfluous drive
    letters now. But ok .....

    The bigger problem is the performance of the USB hard disk. In OS/2, I
    never get more then ~4.2 MB/s regardless which drivers are used (old,
    new, CW..., IBM). On Windows, DFSee reports ~18.4 MB/s which
    approximately matches the speed of the HD. Can anyone comment on this?
    Is the implementation of USB MSD in OS/2 really that bad?

    Kind regards
    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread