USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2

This is a discussion on USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2 ; I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers. I have been using USB effectively with a couple of different USB-enabled digital cameras (latest: Olympus SP350). I plug the camera in via a USB cable, the camera comes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

  1. USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.

    I have been using USB effectively with a couple of different USB-enabled
    digital cameras (latest: Olympus SP350). I plug the camera in via a USB
    cable, the camera comes alive and asks what to do, I choose "Connect to
    PC" and about five seconds later the camera's storage card is accessible
    as a drive letter in OS/2. I've been using it that way for months.

    I've acquired a Western Digital USB HDD, "160Gib". When I plug it into
    'doze XP, this is the properties screen:

    http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    I don't seem to be able to do anything with it on OS/2. FDISK seems
    possibly confused about it ("MBR not readable": this might be for
    another drive in the system) and thinks that it's 999MiB, not 160GiB.

    There is a line in CONFIG.SYS that mentions "removables" and "fixed" (I
    think). I have some non-zero number for "removables" but zero for
    "fixed". Is this a problem?

    Any tips or tricks? I tried searching the Usenet groups for advice, but
    it seems ambiguous.

    Somebody here at work just mentioned a possibility I hadn't thought of:
    my W4 box is USB 1.x, and this WD Passport is USB 2.0. Do I need to put
    a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my old 10.162 USB
    driver talk to that card?

  2. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Al Savage
    ], who wrote in article <130o3hbi5d0m860@corp.supernews.com>:
    > There is a line in CONFIG.SYS that mentions "removables" and "fixed" (I
    > think). I have some non-zero number for "removables" but zero for
    > "fixed". Is this a problem?

    Probably.

    > Any tips or tricks?

    Read the docs of USB drivers. Most probably, you need /csh (sp?).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  3. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:07:02 -0700, Al Savage wrote:

    >I've acquired a Western Digital USB HDD, "160Gib". When I plug it into
    >'doze XP, this is the properties screen:
    >
    >http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    It's formatted FAT32, do you have the FAT32 driver loaded?

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  4. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Rodney Pont wrote:
    >> http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    > It's formatted FAT32, do you have the FAT32 driver loaded?

    No. I'm not interested in loading a FAT32 driver. I want to use it
    HPFS. I do not think that the existing filesystem for the drive affects
    the way FDISK sees this drive.

  5. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Read the docs of USB drivers.

    While reading docs is sometimes fun, I have already devoted two hours to
    this project, and I know that if that much reading does not reveal a
    solution, the shortest distance to a solution is to ask others who may
    have already trod this path. I'm certain that others have done this.

    "RTFM" is not a useful suggestion. I am not an expert, and I don't want
    to be an expert.

    If it's a motivator, I'm willing to pay(pal) a reasonable consulting fee
    for help with this.

  6. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:07:02 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Al Savage
    wrote:

    > Somebody here at work just mentioned a possibility I hadn't thought of:
    > my W4 box is USB 1.x, and this WD Passport is USB 2.0. Do I need to put
    > a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my old 10.162 USB
    > driver talk to that card?

    Over USB 1.1 that 160GB drive will take something in excess of 29 hours to
    populate with data - even assuming that it fills the 12Mbit USB 1.1 pipe 100%
    (which it won't). But most if not all USB 2.0 devices are 1.1 backwards
    compatible so it should work, just very slowly (1.4MB/s maximum).

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  7. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Sir:

    Al Savage wrote:
    > Rodney Pont wrote:
    >>> http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    >> It's formatted FAT32, do you have the FAT32 driver loaded?

    > No. I'm not interested in loading a FAT32 driver. I want to use it
    > HPFS. I do not think that the existing filesystem for the drive affects
    > the way FDISK sees this drive.

    I think you can use dfsee to recreate the MBR and then make several
    fat16 partitions on it (or hpfs as you wish). Once formatted you should
    have several drives available. I've seen this mentioned, don't have one
    of these USB drives to proof this. Note what Trevor says about data
    transfer rate.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> Somebody here at work just mentioned a possibility I hadn't thought of:
    >> my W4 box is USB 1.x, and this WD Passport is USB 2.0. Do I need to put
    >> a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my old 10.162 USB
    >> driver talk to that card?

    > Over USB 1.1 that 160GB drive will take something in excess of 29 hours to
    > populate with data - even assuming that it fills the 12Mbit USB 1.1 pipe 100%
    > (which it won't). But most if not all USB 2.0 devices are 1.1 backwards
    > compatible so it should work, just very slowly (1.4MB/s maximum).

    Perhaps that data rate will prove to be too slow for my purposes, but in
    the event that I want to increase the transfer rate . . .

    Can I install a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my
    old 10.162 USB driver talk to that card?

  9. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:07:02 UTC, Al Savage wrote:

    > I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.
    >
    > I've acquired a Western Digital USB HDD, "160Gib". When I plug it into
    > 'doze XP, this is the properties screen:
    >
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)
    >
    > I don't seem to be able to do anything with it on OS/2. FDISK seems
    > possibly confused about it ("MBR not readable": this might be for
    > another drive in the system) and thinks that it's 999MiB, not 160GiB.

    Exploring further tonight, I found this post by Andrew Stephenson:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...oogle%2BSearch

    where he posts that, using a mix of the IBM USBBASIC (10.123) drivers
    and Chris Wohlgemuth's USB Mass Storage Device driver, he was able to
    obtain good results with his LaCie external HDD.

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /FIXED_DISKS:0
    /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE

    Using this formula, I too was able to make some progress. FDISK now
    reports something closer to reality: 152624MiB FAT32 Primary:
    http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_02b.png (6k)

    However, when I ask FDISK to delete it, the FreeSpace is 9964MiB
    http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_03b.png (6k)

    I suppose I should investigate DFSee next, eh?
    --
    (Unable to open signature file)

  10. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Al Savage wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:07:02 UTC, Al Savage wrote:
    >

    >>I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.
    >>
    >>I've acquired a Western Digital USB HDD, "160Gib". When I plug it into
    >>'doze XP, this is the properties screen:
    >>
    >>http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)
    >>
    >>I don't seem to be able to do anything with it on OS/2. FDISK seems
    >>possibly confused about it ("MBR not readable": this might be for
    >>another drive in the system) and thinks that it's 999MiB, not 160GiB.

    > Exploring further tonight, I found this post by Andrew Stephenson:
    >
    >>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...oogle%2BSearch

    > where he posts that, using a mix of the IBM USBBASIC (10.123) drivers
    > and Chris Wohlgemuth's USB Mass Storage Device driver, he was able to
    > obtain good results with his LaCie external HDD.
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    > BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /FIXED_DISKS:0
    > /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE
    >
    > Using this formula, I too was able to make some progress. FDISK now
    > reports something closer to reality: 152624MiB FAT32 Primary:
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_02b.png (6k)
    >
    > However, when I ask FDISK to delete it, the FreeSpace is 9964MiB
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_03b.png (6k)
    >
    > I suppose I should investigate DFSee next, eh?

    Right. Also rather than use a configuration for someone else's system, tailor
    it to match your own. The way to do this is to run hcimonit.exe which is part
    of the usbbasic package to find out how many of each type of controller you have
    than make sure you have one USBxHCD.SYS line for each controller of the
    corresponding type, where x is U, O, or E.

    If my understanding is correct, EHCI is USB 2.0 and UHCI and OHCI are different
    versions of USB 1.x. As each instance of one of these drivers loads, it looks
    for a controller of the appropriate type that has not already been claimed by a
    previously loaded instance of the same driver and claims the first one it finds.
    If you don't load enough copies of the driver some of the controllers will be
    unclaimed and therefore non functional.

  11. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:33:52 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Al Savage
    wrote:

    > Can I install a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my
    > old 10.162 USB driver talk to that card?

    There's a different driver for 2.0 - usbehcd.sys

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  12. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Al Savage
    ], who wrote in article <130og4foart8s8c@corp.supernews.com>:
    > Rodney Pont wrote:
    > >> http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    > > It's formatted FAT32, do you have the FAT32 driver loaded?

    > No. I'm not interested in loading a FAT32 driver. I want to use it
    > HPFS. I do not think that the existing filesystem for the drive affects
    > the way FDISK sees this drive.

    Yes, theoretically it may (if you change "filesystem" to
    "partitions"); depends on USBMSD switches...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  13. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:42:03 -0700, Al Savage wrote:

    >Rodney Pont wrote:
    >>> http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)

    >> It's formatted FAT32, do you have the FAT32 driver loaded?

    >No. I'm not interested in loading a FAT32 driver. I want to use it
    >HPFS. I do not think that the existing filesystem for the drive affects
    >the way FDISK sees this drive.

    OK. I installed a 250gb seagate SATA drive and had to use Dfsee before
    I could do anything with it. I used two options, I think one was to do
    with addressing and the other was to rewrite the MBR and then I was
    able to use it (LVM in my case). I'm not a Dfsee expert but managed to
    work out what to do and it seems it's now essential for new drives so I
    must try to remember to register it.

    I've also put a PCI USB2.0 card in, it gave me two UCHI and one EHCI
    controller and once the drivers for them were added I can use my
    Seagate 160gb external drive (FAT32 formatted) with it no problem.

    Hcimonit is in OS2\boot under eSC.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  14. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
    > I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.
    >
    > I have been using USB effectively with a couple of different USB-enabled
    > digital cameras (latest: Olympus SP350). I plug the camera in via a USB
    > cable, the camera comes alive and asks what to do, I choose "Connect to
    > PC" and about five seconds later the camera's storage card is accessible
    > as a drive letter in OS/2. I've been using it that way for months.
    >
    > I've acquired a Western Digital USB HDD, "160Gib". When I plug it into
    > 'doze XP, this is the properties screen:
    >
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_01b.png (21k)
    >
    > I don't seem to be able to do anything with it on OS/2. FDISK seems
    > possibly confused about it ("MBR not readable": this might be for
    > another drive in the system) and thinks that it's 999MiB, not 160GiB.
    >
    > There is a line in CONFIG.SYS that mentions "removables" and "fixed" (I
    > think). I have some non-zero number for "removables" but zero for
    > "fixed". Is this a problem?
    >
    > Any tips or tricks? I tried searching the Usenet groups for advice, but
    > it seems ambiguous.
    >
    > Somebody here at work just mentioned a possibility I hadn't thought of:
    > my W4 box is USB 1.x, and this WD Passport is USB 2.0. Do I need to put
    > a USB 2.0 add-on card in my W4 box, and if I do, will my old 10.162 USB
    > driver talk to that card?

    Can I suggest the use of USBcfg
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    This app can help configure your USB bits plus the Help file contains a
    "USB Removables FAQ" that I think you will find rather useful.

    Incidentally, unless there has been an update I have missed, Your "old
    10.162 USB driver" is the latest/last of the IBM USB Base and MSD
    drivers. You also need the latest/last os2dasd.dmd installed buildlevel
    14.104

    Yes, that level of USB Base driver will work with a USB2 addin
    controller card, I have 1 here on an older box that has 2 UHCI
    controllers on the mainboard plus the 1 EHCI and 3 OHCI controllers on
    the addin card all working fine - obviously all USB2 devices need to get
    plugged into the addin card ports.

    Possibly of interest: The mainboard BIOS on the above system needs the
    mainboard USB controllers Enabled as Disabling them means that the BIOS
    also ignores the presence of the USB2 addin card. Not sure if that
    applies to all mainboards...

    Unless you need windows compatibility with this USB drive I would
    suggest formatting with HPFS after using FDisk to partition (no LVM?)
    the disk. If you do use fat32 you will find it fairly slow in comparison.

    If you do use LVM then you could set this disk up as 1 volume and use
    JFS. I mention this as the fastest transfer speeds that I have seen with
    a USB2 drive have been when the drive is formatted JFS.

    Hope the above is of help

    Pete

  15. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:31:21 UTC, "Al Savage" wrote:
    > Using this formula, I too was able to make some progress. FDISK now
    > reports something closer to reality: 152624MiB FAT32 Primary:
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_02b.png (6k)
    >
    > However, when I ask FDISK to delete it, the FreeSpace is 9964MiB
    > http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/hostin...ssport_03b.png (6k)
    >
    > I suppose I should investigate DFSee next, eh?

    OK, I do not have 10.162 files, I have the older 10.123, which seem to
    prevent DFSee and FDISK from correctly identifying the geometry of the
    160GiB HDD.

    While I admire eCS, I'm not interested in the substantial time necessary
    to replicate my current W4 work environment in a new OS at this time. I
    am not averse to paying for the newer files needed to make new hardware
    work, though.

    What are my options for acquiring the 10.162 files + the newer
    OS2DASD.DMD ?

    --
    (Unable to open signature file)

  16. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:07:02 UTC, Al Savage wrote:

    > I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.

    With the advice of several, and the help of a friend to loan me the 10.162 USB
    driver pack (if I can determine that the 10.162 stack will do what I want, I'll pony
    up the bux for the eCS path), I am now at this point:

    Non-LVM, of course.

    OS2DASD.DMD = 10.83 (latest for Warp 4.00)
    USB basic stack = 10.162
    USB MSD driver = 10.162

    HCIMONIT.exe :
    You have 2 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s)

    CONFIG.SYS:
    DEVICE=d:\Tame\usbresmg.sys
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ /V
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:3 /CHS /V

    o /CHS is required for proper detection of the USB 160GiB HDD; without /CHS the wrong size is
    reported.
    o With /REMOVABLES:3 , I get three new drive letters: I:, J:, K:

    DFSee 8.13 (best viewed with monospace typeface):
    ┌───┬──┬─────────────────┬──┬────────┬────────┬─── ────────┬──────────┬────────┐
    ├───┼─────────────┼────────┼───────────────────┤
    │08 │ │FreeSpace Primary│ │-- -- --│-- -- --│- - - - - -│ │ 7.8│
    │08 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 5│HPFS │IBM 4.50│DRIVE_1 │ │ 65522.8│
    │09 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 6│- │unknown │ │ │ 65530.7│
    │10 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 7│- │unknown │ │ │ 21563.7│
    └───┴──┴─────────────────┴──┴────────┴────────┴─── ────────┴──────────┴────────┘

    Disk 3 is the USB 160GiB HDD

    As you can see, I have managed to use FDISK to delete the as-shipped FAT32 partition, and
    create three partitions. I have formatted the first partition on the USB drive for HPFS, and it is

    usable as drive letter I:

    However, although J: & K: are "in the system", the other two partitions are not assigned
    those (or any) drive letters.

    FDISK reports FIVE disks; the first two are internal, the third is the USB HDD, and the 4th/5th are
    bogus. The 4th/5th FDISK-reported disks occured when I changed /REMOVABLES:1 to /REMOVABLES:3

    The Lon Hooker article on removable USB media at
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_2.html
    says that the OS2DASD.DMD /MP parameter is for partitionable, removable media,
    not fixed media:
    /MP

    Used to support allocating a predetermined number of drive letters for a
    partitioned removable media device. Note that this option only applies to
    partitioned removable devices, and is ignored for any other device type.

    This switch applies only to Iomega ZIP drives allowing them to use
    partitioned removable media. It has nothing to do with USB devices
    which use partitioned fixed media and are controlled by the
    usbmsd.add /REMOVABLES:[n] statement.

    So, I have not tried using the OS2DASD.DMD parameter /MP .

    Q1: Any suggestions on how to tie drive letters (apparently reserved by the /REMOVABLES:3 parameter)

    to the last two partitions of the USB HDD?

    Q2: Does DFSee perform HPFS formatting?

  17. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:07:02 UTC, Al Savage wrote:
    >
    >> I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.

    > With the advice of several, and the help of a friend to loan me the 10.162 USB
    > driver pack

    I think you also need os2dasd.dmd buildlevel 14.104

    (if I can determine that the 10.162 stack will do what I want, I'll pony
    > up the bux for the eCS path), I am now at this point:
    >
    > Non-LVM, of course.

    Any reason for that?

    LVM is pretty easy to get on with - once you get used to it - and also
    allows rejigging of drive letters ie changing drive letter from d: to t:
    if required.

    > OS2DASD.DMD = 10.83 (latest for Warp 4.00)

    The 14.104 os2dasd.dmd should be an improvement over the above.

    > USB basic stack = 10.162
    > USB MSD driver = 10.162
    >
    > HCIMONIT.exe :
    > You have 2 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s)
    >
    > CONFIG.SYS:
    > DEVICE=d:\Tame\usbresmg.sys
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ /V

    Current advice is that the above line only needs to be like this:-

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:3 /CHS /V
    >
    > o /CHS is required for proper detection of the USB 160GiB HDD; without /CHS the wrong size is
    > reported.

    Be interesting to discover if the later os2dasd.dmd removes the /CHS
    requirement.

    > o With /REMOVABLES:3 , I get three new drive letters: I:, J:, K:

    I: is the formatted partition on the USB drive.

    J: and K: are "placeholders" for whatever other USB drive you may attach.

    > DFSee 8.13 (best viewed with monospace typeface):
    > ┌───┬──┬─────────────────┬──┬────────┬────────┬─── ────────┬──────────┬────────┐
    > ├───┼─────────────┼────────┼───────────────────┤
    > │08 │ │FreeSpace Primary│ │-- -- --│-- -- --│- - - - - -│ │ 7.8│
    > │08 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 5│HPFS │IBM 4.50│DRIVE_1 │ │ 65522.8│
    > │09 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 6│- │unknown │ │ │ 65530.7│
    > │10 │ │Log 07 Inst-FSys│ 7│- │unknown │ │ │ 21563.7│
    > └───┴──┴─────────────────┴──┴────────┴────────┴─── ────────┴──────────┴────────┘
    >
    > Disk 3 is the USB 160GiB HDD
    >
    > As you can see, I have managed to use FDISK to delete the as-shipped FAT32 partition, and
    > create three partitions. I have formatted the first partition on the USB drive for HPFS, and it is
    >
    > usable as drive letter I:
    >
    > However, although J: & K: are "in the system", the other two partitions are not assigned
    > those (or any) drive letters.

    Those partitions are *Not* J: and K:

    > FDISK reports FIVE disks; the first two are internal, the third is the USB HDD, and the 4th/5th are
    > bogus. The 4th/5th FDISK-reported disks occured when I changed /REMOVABLES:1 to /REMOVABLES:3

    Not bogus - just placeholders.

    > The Lon Hooker article on removable USB media at
    > http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_2.html
    > says that the OS2DASD.DMD /MP parameter is for partitionable, removable media,
    > not fixed media:
    > /MP
    >
    > Used to support allocating a predetermined number of drive letters for a
    > partitioned removable media device. Note that this option only applies to
    > partitioned removable devices, and is ignored for any other device type.
    >
    > This switch applies only to Iomega ZIP drives allowing them to use
    > partitioned removable media. It has nothing to do with USB devices
    > which use partitioned fixed media and are controlled by the
    > usbmsd.add /REMOVABLES:[n] statement.
    >
    > So, I have not tried using the OS2DASD.DMD parameter /MP .
    >
    > Q1: Any suggestions on how to tie drive letters (apparently reserved by the /REMOVABLES:3 parameter)

    All /REMOVABLES:3 does is set the expected maximum number of Removable
    drives - which should always be 1 more than you expect.

    > to the last two partitions of the USB HDD?
    >
    > Q2: Does DFSee perform HPFS formatting?

    If you read through the above FAQ and the USB MSD docs you will find
    that /REMOVABLES:1 is all you actually need to be able to hookup a USB
    drive with several partitions on. Think of /REMOVABLES as being a count
    of the number of physical containers rather than the number of partitions.

    Your 4th/5th partitions are placeholders for the 2 /REMOVABLES specified
    in config.sys which do not currently have any media attached.

    Not sure why the other 2 partitions are not assigned drive letters... It
    could be os2dasd.dmd related or maybe fdisk does not work with multiple
    partitions on removable media.

    You could try resetting to /REMOVABLES:1, reboot, then attach the USB
    drive and see if using fdisk to delete and then recreate the 2
    unformatted partitions works to get them drive letters.

    I think I would be tempted to install the current os2dasd.dmd before
    trying the above.

    Hope the above helps

    Pete

  18. USB 2.0 add-in adapter: USB driver compatibility

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > But most if not all USB 2.0 devices are 1.1 backwards
    > compatible so it should work, just very slowly (1.4MB/s maximum).

    Will "any" add-in PCI USB 2.0 adapter work with the 101.62 USB stack, or
    is there a compatibility list somewhere, or is there a known-good chip
    that I should be looking for?

  19. Re: USB 2.0 add-in adapter: USB driver compatibility

    Sir:

    Al Savage wrote:
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >> But most if not all USB 2.0 devices are 1.1 backwards compatible so it
    >> should work, just very slowly (1.4MB/s maximum).

    > Will "any" add-in PCI USB 2.0 adapter work with the 101.62 USB stack, or
    > is there a compatibility list somewhere, or is there a known-good chip
    > that I should be looking for?

    All current production should work.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  20. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hello:

    I am only able to work on this a little at a time; life intrudes, and
    the computers are tools now, not a hobby or career anymore.

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:01:39 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > > With the advice of several, and the help of a friend to loan me the 10.162 USB
    > > driver pack

    > I think you also need os2dasd.dmd buildlevel 14.104

    See below.

    > > Non-LVM, of course.

    > Any reason for that?

    Warp 4. LVM not supported. Is there a clear upgrade path for adding
    LVM to W4, including the Java issue?

    > LVM is pretty easy to get on with - once you get used to it - and also
    > allows rejigging of drive letters ie changing drive letter from d: to t:
    > if required.

    > > OS2DASD.DMD = 10.83 (latest for Warp 4.00)

    > The 14.104 os2dasd.dmd should be an improvement over the above.

    The problem is that I am reading the directions again.

    FIXED IDE HARD DRIVE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT

    October 7, 2005

    OS/2 Device Driver Development
    IBM Solution Technologies
    Austin, TX

    [ . . . ]

    2.2 Updating a Previous Installed Warp System

    [ . . . ]

    2. Open an OS/2 Window and enter the SYSLEVEL X: (where X: is your
    boot
    drive). Look for the entry x:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2 and see
    which
    version of OS/2 you have installed; for example "Version
    4.00" or
    "Version 4.50".

    [ . . . ]

    3. Device Driver Install
    o (Warp 4, Warp Server for e-business) Open the Device Driver
    Install
    program in the OS/2 System/System Setup/Install-Remove Folder.

    4. Point the Device Driver Install file dialogue to the directory
    where you
    have placed the new files in this package.

    If your version of OS/2 is 4.00 or earlier, select the driver
    named
    IBM IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.00).

    If your version of OS/2 is 4.50 or later, select the driver
    named IBM
    IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.50).

    Click on INSTALL.

    e:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2
    IBM OS/2 Base Operating System
    Version 4.00 Component ID 5639A6100
    Type 0C
    Current CSD level: XR0M017
    Prior CSD level: XR04000

    [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd16.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    Signature: @#IBM:10.083#@ OS/2 DASD Device Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 10.83
    File Version: 10.83

    [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd32.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    Signature: @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.104
    File Version: 14.104

    Therefore, if I read the directions correctly, the v10.104 driver
    (DASD32.DMD) is not appropriate for W4 that is v4.00 . I am using
    DASD16.DMD as instructed. Have I missed something? I'd love to learn
    otherwise.

    > > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ /V

    > Current advice is that the above line only needs to be like this:-
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    OK. I've changed it (but have not rebooted).

    > > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:3 /CHS /V
    > > o /CHS is required for proper detection of the USB 160GiB HDD; without /CHS the wrong size is
    > > reported.

    > Be interesting to discover if the later os2dasd.dmd removes the /CHS
    > requirement.

    Yes, it would.

    > Hope the above helps

    Pete, I appreciate the time you've taken to comment on this, and the
    thought and care with which you crafted your USB utility.