USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2

This is a discussion on USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2 ; Peter Brown wrote: > Pete's lesson for the day: Never fanny with the hard drives unless you > have a current backup. Isn't that the truth! > A thought occurs: If you had a Registered copy of DFSee you may ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

  1. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Pete's lesson for the day: Never fanny with the hard drives unless you
    > have a current backup.

    Isn't that the truth!

    > A thought occurs: If you had a Registered copy of DFSee you may be able
    > to get help/advice from the author who seems a rather knowledgeable
    > person on the subject of drive problems and their causes.

    That is an understatement of the first order! JvW is not only _very_
    knowledgeable, he is very, very helpful to his registered user
    community. However, he will be away most of this week.

    If you don't have DFSee, go to http://www.fsys.nl/ and download v. 8.15.
    Burn the bootable CD as well as putting a copy of the OS/2 version on
    your HD. I have both the 'doze and OS/2 versions available on any
    computer I use. The thirty day trial is full featured, not crippled.

    I will toss in a couple of suggestions: (note: I posted three weeks ago
    that I had just purchased a WD 160GiB USB drive and ordered a T60
    ThinkPad which I am now trying to beat into submission.)

    I am running eCS 1.2R and W2K on this box (T23 Tpad) and eCS 2.0b4 and
    XP on the other (T60 Tpad).

    The first thing I did with my WD HD was use DFSee to make a "smart
    image" of it with DFSee. This 40MB file will let me put it back exactly
    as received should I ever want to. As soon as you recover all your
    stuff, you may want to do similar and burn it to a CD or DVD.

    My WD drive has four partitions on it now:
    FreeSpace Primary|-- -- - 7.8
    L: Log 0c FAT32-Ext|FAT32 60000.5
    N: Log 06 FAT16 |FAT 2000.2
    O: Log 0c FAT32-Ext|FAT32 10613.2
    M: Log 35 Warp-LVM |JFS 80003.3

    I figured I would leave that 7.8 in case I ever wanted to but on Boot
    Manager.

    As to your present dilema, accidentally or deliberately disconnecting
    the WD drive without ejecting it seems to leave the JFS partition
    unuseable. This has happened to me several times however running
    CHKDSK X: /F
    where X is the drive (partition) you can't read has always fixed the
    problem for me on the JFS partition (the only one I've had that problem
    with).

    If there's anything else I can WRT my (mis)adventures with the WD HD,
    I'll certainly try.

    Hope this helps.
    Ted

  2. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    PN/2 seems to have FUBAR'd on me. It began complaining about not being
    able to write things it was decoding (the drive had disappeared). After
    a while I closed it, seemed normal. Now opening, it complains that the
    connection to server was lost, over and over, no matter what. Broken.

    So, over to Seamonkey for NGs, blech.

    >> Installing OS2DASD.DMD v14.104 to go with OS2LVM.DMD v14.105 gets a
    >> boot.

    >> One major difference is the boot time, which is reduced by about, oh,
    >> two minutes.
    >>
    >> Disk2:
    >> Primary freespace
    >> F: Logical 64GiB
    >> G: Logical 64 GiB
    >> H: Logical 40 GiB
    >>
    >> [E:\os2\boot]lvm /query
    >>
    >> [ D4 ] 152625 7 7
    >> Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    >> [ FS3 ] 7 Logical Available
    >> [Portable_1] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 1 ]
    >> [Portable_2] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 2 ]
    >> [Portable_3] 21571 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 3 ]
    >>
    >> Well, no drive letters are assigned to any partitions on Disk2.

    .. . . because they do not show as being formatted, I assume.

    Doing _nothing_ else except swapping OS2DASD.DMD v10.83 in and
    rebooting, those partitions get assigned drive letters again, and I'm
    copying everything over to a LAN drive.

    Oh, and the new partitions on the USB HDD, created under LVM/OS2LVM.DMD
    v14.105, once again are not assigned letters (though they _do_ show as
    formatted HPFS now, under FDISK -- yes, I didn't let FDISK save anything).

    Weird, eh?

    Any ideas why under the newer OS2DASD.DMD v14.104, that all partitions
    are the second HDD are not shown as being formatted (which further
    explains them not being assigned drive letters)?

  3. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 03:36:14 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Al Savage
    wrote:

    > PN/2 seems to have FUBAR'd on me. It began complaining about not being
    > able to write things it was decoding (the drive had disappeared). After
    > a while I closed it, seemed normal. Now opening, it complains that the
    > connection to server was lost, over and over, no matter what. Broken.

    You could try to fix it! Sounds like pronews.ini has been corrupted with your
    server settings in it or the newsgroup in question has been reset to server #0
    (which is what would happen if a group's data file got splatted with 0's at its
    start). You may just need to drag the right server back over some of your
    groups.

    > So, over to Seamonkey for NGs, blech.

    Or you could try to repair PN/2!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:46:23 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:
    > > PN/2 seems to have FUBAR'd on me.

    > You could try to fix it!

    I got your list msg today, unpacked pn2159cp118.zip over the existing
    installation, and now there's no problem!

    Easiest fix _I've_ done all month

    My Thanks to you, Trevor.

  5. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:36:14 -0700, Al Savage wrote:
    >>> Well, no drive letters are assigned to any partitions on Disk2.

    > . . . because they do not show as being formatted, I assume.

    I do not think that is a correct assumption. Formatting is something that
    is done _to_ existing volumes that already have drive letters. It is also
    something that LVM cares nothing about.

    What happens when you try to assign drive letters to the partitions?
    (If you use LVM.EXE, this is a rather roundabout process that involves
    choosing to create a compatibility volume, then adding the partition to
    it. Using DFSEE or the eCS installer GUI is a bit more straightforward,
    I believe.)

    > Oh, and the new partitions on the USB HDD, created under LVM/OS2LVM.DMD
    > v14.105, once again are not assigned letters (though they _do_ show as
    > formatted HPFS now, under FDISK -- yes, I didn't let FDISK save anything).

    USB drives can be tricky, depending on whether LVM wants to see them in
    "Big Floppy" or "partitioned" mode. The obvious question here, too, is
    whether or not you've assigned drive letters to them.

    > Any ideas why under the newer OS2DASD.DMD v14.104, that all partitions
    > are the second HDD are not shown as being formatted (which further
    > explains them not being assigned drive letters)?

    I suspect the "not formatted" thing is a red herring; in any case, I'm
    pretty certain it's the wrong end to be worrying about. Find out why
    they're not getting drive letters first.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).