USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2

This is a discussion on USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17 - OS2 ; Well, I had a lengthy reply done, hit to post, and PN/2 died without posting. ****. I have only limited time to play with this at any one time; nowadays, the computers are tools not my hobby nor career anymore. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

  1. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Well, I had a lengthy reply done, hit to post, and PN/2 died
    without posting. ****.

    I have only limited time to play with this at any one time; nowadays,
    the computers are tools not my hobby nor career anymore. So I move
    slowly.

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:01:39 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > >> I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.

    > > With the advice of several, and the help of a friend to loan me the 10.162 USB
    > > driver pack

    > I think you also need os2dasd.dmd buildlevel 14.104

    See below.

    > > Non-LVM, of course.

    > Any reason for that?

    Um, Warp 4? Is the path of adding LVM to Warp 4 now so well-trod that
    even I can do it? Including any Java issue?

    > > OS2DASD.DMD = 10.83 (latest for Warp 4.00)

    > The 14.104 os2dasd.dmd should be an improvement over the above.

    Am I making the misteak of reading the instructions?

    FIXED IDE HARD DRIVE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT

    October 7, 2005

    OS/2 Device Driver Development
    IBM Solution Technologies
    Austin, TX

    [ . . . ]

    2.2 Updating a Previous Installed Warp System
    [ . . . ]
    2. Open an OS/2 Window and enter the SYSLEVEL X: (where X: is your
    boot
    drive). Look for the entry x:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2 and see
    which
    version of OS/2 you have installed; for example "Version
    4.00" or
    "Version 4.50".

    [ . . . ]

    3. Device Driver Install

    o (Warp 3, Warp Server) Open the Device Driver Install program
    in the
    OS/2 System Folder/System Setup Folder.

    o (Warp 4, Warp Server for e-business) Open the Device Driver
    Install
    program in the OS/2 System/System Setup/Install-Remove Folder.

    4. Point the Device Driver Install file dialogue to the directory
    where you
    have placed the new files in this package.

    If your version of OS/2 is 4.00 or earlier, select the driver
    named
    IBM IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.00).

    If your version of OS/2 is 4.50 or later, select the driver
    named IBM
    IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.50).

    Click on INSTALL.
    e:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2
    IBM OS/2 Base Operating System
    Version 4.00 Component ID 5639A6100
    Type 0C
    Current CSD level: XR0M017
    Prior CSD level: XR04000

    [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd32.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    Signature: @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.104
    File Version: 14.104

    [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd16.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    Signature: @#IBM:10.083#@ OS/2 DASD Device Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 10.83
    File Version: 10.83

    My system's SYSLEVEL.OS2 = 4.00, therefore I use DASD16.DMD, which is at
    10.083 .

    Can I use the 10.104 (DASD32.DMD), even though the instructions say
    otherwise?

    > > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ /V

    > Current advice is that the above line only needs to be like this:-
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    OK. I've changed it (though I haven't rebooted).

    > > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:3 /CHS /V
    > > o /CHS is required for proper detection of the USB 160GiB HDD; without /CHS the wrong size is
    > > reported.

    > Be interesting to discover if the later os2dasd.dmd removes the /CHS
    > requirement.

    Yes, it would.
    > Hope the above helps

    Pete, I appreciate the time and thought you've taken to read and
    respond, as well as your excellent USB configuration utility.

    --
    (Unable to open signature file)

  2. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
    > Well, I had a lengthy reply done, hit to post, and PN/2 died
    > without posting. ****.
    >
    > I have only limited time to play with this at any one time; nowadays,
    > the computers are tools not my hobby nor career anymore. So I move
    > slowly.

    >>> With the advice of several, and the help of a friend to loan me the 10.162 USB
    >>> driver pack

    >> I think you also need os2dasd.dmd buildlevel 14.104

    > See below.
    >
    >>> Non-LVM, of course.

    >> Any reason for that?

    > Um, Warp 4? Is the path of adding LVM to Warp 4 now so well-trod that
    > even I can do it? Including any Java issue?

    I may be mistaken but was under the impression that fp17 was not a
    "freebie" and contained the lvm files. I guess I am wrong.

    Long time since I moved from fdisk to lvm and it coincided with an
    install of eCS1.0 which, if I remember correctly, did all the work
    necessary to make the existing partitions work with lvm.

    I think there was/is a utility called something like expart.exe which
    prepared existing partitions but hope that someone else can jump in here
    with more details. Maybe a Google will yield some interesting reading...
    aha, here is something worth a look from a site you probably know
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne....se_lvmjfs.html - note
    fp13 or higher required

    I'm not quite sure about "java issues" but can state that there are some
    updates that allow tcpip configuration notebook and the lvm gui to work
    with java142 - I'll have to dig around in my collection for more details
    but the updates are available (still) for eCS customers.

    >>> OS2DASD.DMD = 10.83 (latest for Warp 4.00)

    >> The 14.104 os2dasd.dmd should be an improvement over the above.

    > Am I making the misteak of reading the instructions?
    >
    > ================================================== ========
    > FIXED IDE HARD DRIVE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT
    >
    > October 7, 2005
    >
    > OS/2 Device Driver Development
    > IBM Solution Technologies
    > Austin, TX
    >
    > [ . . . ]
    >

    > 2.2 Updating a Previous Installed Warp System
    > [ . . . ]
    > 2. Open an OS/2 Window and enter the SYSLEVEL X: (where X: is your
    > boot
    > drive). Look for the entry x:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2 and see
    > which
    > version of OS/2 you have installed; for example "Version
    > 4.00" or
    > "Version 4.50".

    Warp4 fp17 should be Version 4.50 surely...

    > [ . . . ]
    >
    > 3. Device Driver Install
    >
    > o (Warp 3, Warp Server) Open the Device Driver Install program
    > in the
    > OS/2 System Folder/System Setup Folder.
    >
    > o (Warp 4, Warp Server for e-business) Open the Device Driver
    > Install
    > program in the OS/2 System/System Setup/Install-Remove Folder.
    >
    > 4. Point the Device Driver Install file dialogue to the directory
    > where you
    > have placed the new files in this package.
    >
    > If your version of OS/2 is 4.00 or earlier, select the driver
    > named
    > IBM IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.00).
    >
    > If your version of OS/2 is 4.50 or later, select the driver
    > named IBM
    > IDE AND REMOVABLE MEDIA SUPPORT (V4.50).
    >
    > Click on INSTALL.
    > ================================================== ========
    > e:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2
    > IBM OS/2 Base Operating System
    > Version 4.00 Component ID 5639A6100
    > Type 0C
    > Current CSD level: XR0M017
    > Prior CSD level: XR04000
    >
    > [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd32.dmd
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    > Signature: @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 14.104
    > File Version: 14.104
    >
    > [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd16.dmd
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    > Signature: @#IBM:10.083#@ OS/2 DASD Device Manager
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 10.83
    > File Version: 10.83
    >
    > My system's SYSLEVEL.OS2 = 4.00, therefore I use DASD16.DMD, which is at
    > 10.083 .

    I'm sure my Warp4 fp15 (maybe 16 - last of the free fps) system used to
    report itself as 4.50 but do not have any 8 yr old backups to check

    > Can I use the 10.104 (DASD32.DMD), even though the instructions say
    > otherwise?

    You could try it and see I guess but the readme suggests not - or maybe
    the readme is enforcing the cannot use the older driver on the later system.

    >>> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ /V

    >> Current advice is that the above line only needs to be like this:-
    >>
    >> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    > OK. I've changed it (though I haven't rebooted).

    Obviously a necessity at some point.

    >>> BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:3 /CHS /V
    >>> o /CHS is required for proper detection of the USB 160GiB HDD; without /CHS the wrong size is
    >>> reported.

    >> Be interesting to discover if the later os2dasd.dmd removes the /CHS
    >> requirement.

    > Yes, it would.
    >> Hope the above helps

    > Pete, I appreciate the time and thought you've taken to read and
    > respond, as well as your excellent USB configuration utility.

    Hope the above gives you something to occupy your spare time :-)

    Feel free to email me (remove hyphened uppercase bits) if you need the
    odd file or several to experiment with.

    Pete

  3. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:57:34 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > >> I think you also need os2dasd.dmd buildlevel 14.104

    > I may be mistaken but was under the impression that fp17 was not a
    > "freebie" and contained the lvm files. I guess I am wrong.

    FP17 is not free, and AFAIK does not contain LVM, but I applied it years
    ago and am not certain.

    > I think there was/is a utility called something like expart.exe which
    > prepared existing partitions but hope that someone else can jump in here
    > with more details. Maybe a Google will yield some interesting reading...
    > aha, here is something worth a look from a site you probably know
    > http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne....se_lvmjfs.html - note
    > fp13 or higher required
    >

    > I'm not quite sure about "java issues" but can state that there are some
    > updates that allow tcpip configuration notebook and the lvm gui to work
    > with java142 - I'll have to dig around in my collection for more details
    > but the updates are available (still) for eCS customers.

    > >> The 14.104 os2dasd.dmd should be an improvement over the above.

    > Warp4 fp17 should be Version 4.50 surely...

    It's not, at least not here, on two boxes at FP17. According to Bob
    Eager's page on versions, WSeB was 4.50; W4 is 4.00 .

    > > ================================================== ========
    > > e:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2
    > > IBM OS/2 Base Operating System
    > > Version 4.00 Component ID 5639A6100
    > > Type 0C
    > > Current CSD level: XR0M017
    > > Prior CSD level: XR04000
    > >
    > > [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd32.dmd
    > > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    > > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    > > Signature: @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager
    > > Vendor: IBM
    > > Revision: 14.104
    > > File Version: 14.104
    > >
    > > [G:\ftp\os2\usb\temp]bldlevel dasd16.dmd
    > > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    > > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    > > Signature: @#IBM:10.083#@ OS/2 DASD Device Manager
    > > Vendor: IBM
    > > Revision: 10.83
    > > File Version: 10.83
    > >
    > > My system's SYSLEVEL.OS2 = 4.00, therefore I use DASD16.DMD, which is at
    > > 10.083 .

    > > Can I use the 10.104 (DASD32.DMD), even though the instructions say
    > > otherwise?

    > You could try it and see I guess but the readme suggests not

    I tried it: "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk . . . "

    > Hope the above gives you something to occupy your spare time :-)

    I had to go dust off my HPFS386 boot diskettes after that fiasco -- I
    haven't used them in years, but they still work.

    --
    (Unable to open signature file)

  4. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:37:30 -0000, Al Savage wrote:
    >> I may be mistaken but was under the impression that fp17 was not a
    >> "freebie" and contained the lvm files. I guess I am wrong.

    > FP17 is not free, and AFAIK does not contain LVM, but I applied it years
    > ago and am not certain.

    LVM is _only_ available if the base OS is WSeB or Convenience-Pak based
    (including eCS).

    FP17 is for Warp 4, ergo does not contain LVM.

    >> I think there was/is a utility called something like expart.exe which
    >> prepared existing partitions but hope that someone else can jump in here
    >> with more details.

    The utility is called VCU. IMO, it's an ugly utility that's more trouble
    than it's worth... I find it easier to just fire up LVM and assign your
    volumes manually. Of course, you need the LVM files... (but you need them
    to use VCU in any case).

    >> Warp4 fp17 should be Version 4.50 surely...

    > It's not, at least not here, on two boxes at FP17. According to Bob
    > Eager's page on versions, WSeB was 4.50; W4 is 4.00 .

    The "ver" command reports 4.50 after you have FP13 or higher installed,
    but the SYSLEVEL still reports 4.00. Regardless, you should use DASD16
    for Warp 4 systems at any FixPak level (I've tried the other way and it
    doesn't work).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  5. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On 10 Apr 2007 09:38:02 -0500, Alex Taylor wrote:

    > The "ver" command reports 4.50 after you have FP13 or higher installed,
    > but the SYSLEVEL still reports 4.00. Regardless, you should use DASD16
    > for Warp 4 systems at any FixPak level (I've tried the other way and it
    > doesn't work).

    DASD32 works fine here on W4 and has done for years. I thought the difference
    was that DASD32 used KEE whereas DASD16 did not. If you are on FP13 or
    higher then you have KEE.

  6. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:07:28 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> The "ver" command reports 4.50 after you have FP13 or higher installed,
    >> but the SYSLEVEL still reports 4.00. Regardless, you should use DASD16
    >> for Warp 4 systems at any FixPak level (I've tried the other way and it
    >> doesn't work).

    > DASD32 works fine here on W4 and has done for years. I thought the difference
    > was that DASD32 used KEE whereas DASD16 did not. If you are on FP13 or
    > higher then you have KEE.

    That's what I had thought, but I tried installing DASD32 on a W4 FP17
    system a year or two ago, and it rendered it unbootable ("OS/2 is unable
    to operate..." etc.). Using DASD16 instead solved the problem.

    The IBM README.TXT for IDEDASD does say that DASD16 should be used for all
    Warp 4 systems... so I figured they knew their business.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  7. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On 11 Apr 2007 09:44:02 -0500, Alex Taylor wrote:

    >> DASD32 works fine here on W4 and has done for years. I thought the difference
    >> was that DASD32 used KEE whereas DASD16 did not. If you are on FP13 or
    >> higher then you have KEE.

    > That's what I had thought, but I tried installing DASD32 on a W4 FP17
    > system a year or two ago, and it rendered it unbootable ("OS/2 is unable
    > to operate..." etc.). Using DASD16 instead solved the problem.

    Thinking a bit more about it, ISTR it was FDISK & DASD16 or LVM & DASD32.
    Did you install OS2LVM.DMD at the same time?

  8. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:47:47 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >>> DASD32 works fine here on W4 and has done for years. I thought the difference
    >>> was that DASD32 used KEE whereas DASD16 did not. If you are on FP13 or
    >>> higher then you have KEE.

    >> That's what I had thought, but I tried installing DASD32 on a W4 FP17
    >> system a year or two ago, and it rendered it unbootable ("OS/2 is unable
    >> to operate..." etc.). Using DASD16 instead solved the problem.

    > Thinking a bit more about it, ISTR it was FDISK & DASD16 or LVM & DASD32.
    > Did you install OS2LVM.DMD at the same time?

    I don't remember if it was on that system, but yes, I've done that
    successfully: updated to LVM-capable OS2DASD and OS2LVM. Of course, the
    LVM functionality is in those two files, so as I now remember it is an LVM
    issue rather than a KEE issue. (I've even posted to that effect in the
    past, guess it just slipped my mind.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  9. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:48:02 UTC, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > > Thinking a bit more about it, ISTR it was FDISK & DASD16 or LVM & DASD32.

    > I don't remember if it was on that system, but yes, I've done that
    > successfully: updated to LVM-capable OS2DASD and OS2LVM. Of course, the
    > LVM functionality is in those two files, so as I now remember it is an LVM
    > issue rather than a KEE issue. (I've even posted to that effect in the
    > past, guess it just slipped my mind.)

    Does that imply that further testing may be warranted? IE, if I could
    LVM-ize my Wp FP17 system . . .

    >In <455a51b0$0$177$bb4e3ad8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 11/14/2006
    > at 05:32 PM, Alex Taylor said:

    >To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    >OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    >and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    >line.

    >It's also a good idea to replace os2ldr and os2dump with the lvm aware
    >versions.

    .. . . by obtaining OS2LVD.DMD and using OS2DASD.DMD (nee DASD32) from a
    later update, that I might be able to not only create multiple 64GiB
    partitions on the USB 160GiB drive (which FDISK can currently do) but
    also have drive letters actually assigned them?

    Regards,
    Al S.

  10. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:23:19 -0000, Al Savage wrote:
    >> > Thinking a bit more about it, ISTR it was FDISK & DASD16 or LVM & DASD32.

    >> I don't remember if it was on that system, but yes, I've done that
    >> successfully: updated to LVM-capable OS2DASD and OS2LVM. Of course, the
    >> LVM functionality is in those two files, so as I now remember it is an LVM
    >> issue rather than a KEE issue. (I've even posted to that effect in the
    >> past, guess it just slipped my mind.)

    > Does that imply that further testing may be warranted? IE, if I could
    > LVM-ize my Wp FP17 system . . .

    ....which is certainly possible; I've done it in the past myself...

    >>To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    >>OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    >>and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    >>line.

    >>It's also a good idea to replace os2ldr and os2dump with the lvm aware
    >>versions.

    > . . . by obtaining OS2LVD.DMD and using OS2DASD.DMD (nee DASD32) from a
    > later update, that I might be able to not only create multiple 64GiB
    > partitions on the USB 160GiB drive (which FDISK can currently do) but
    > also have drive letters actually assigned them?

    I don't see why not. Of course, you should certainly have the latest USB
    drivers installed (both basic and MSD) as well...

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  11. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Al Savage wrote:
    > I have W4 FP17 and the 10.162 (I think) USB drivers.

    I have eCS 1.2R on a T-23 (although I have just ordered a T-60). The
    day before yesterday I purchased a WD 160KB Passport drive. While I
    look forward to USB 2.0 on the T-60, for now I have to put up with USB
    1.1 on my T23.

    I have done the following:
    1) I Used DFSee 8.13 to log the partition tables and make and save an
    image of the drive in case I mess up and want to get back.
    2) copy the files on it to my JFS H: drive and .ZIP them in case I want
    any of that stuff later.
    3) Delete the partition and re partition with a logical non-bootable
    FAT32 partition of 60GB for use with my Garmin maps and other things
    that I wish to use from both eCS and 'doze (W2K).
    4) Exit DFSee and use LVM to create an 80GB non-bootable JFS partition
    for use from eCS for various and sundry audio, video, photo, ... stuff.
    5) Use FORMAT from the command line to format the JFS partition.

    As I type this, I am copying 3+GB of *.mpg video files onto the WD drive.
    6) As a check I played one of the files on the WD drive using Mplayer
    while the copy operation is on-going. It's there and plays a bit jerky
    but this is a UAB 1.1, 1.2MHz machine.

    I must say I'm impressed!

    Ted

  12. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:38:01 UTC, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > > Does that imply that further testing may be warranted? IE, if I could
    > > LVM-ize my Wp FP17 system . . .

    > ...which is certainly possible; I've done it in the past myself...
    >
    > >>To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    > >>OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    > >>and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    > >>line.

    Is this OS2LVM.DMD especially antique?

    [F:\]bldlevel os2lvm.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    Signature: @#IBM:14.062#@ IBM Logical Volume Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.62
    File Version: 14.62

    (Unable to open signature file)

  13. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 00:52:33 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Al Savage"
    wrote:

    > Is this OS2LVM.DMD especially antique?

    Yes!

    [I:\tmpinst]bldlevel x:\os2\boot\os2lvm.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.105#@ IBM Logical Volume Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.105
    File Version: 14.105

    6-07-06 3:27p 32519 54 OS2LVM.DMD

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 02:07:24 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > > Is this OS2LVM.DMD especially antique?

    > Yes!
    >
    > Revision: 14.105
    >
    > 6-07-06 3:27p 32519 54 OS2LVM.DMD

    Hmmph.

  15. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:38:01 UTC, Alex Taylor
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Does that imply that further testing may be warranted? IE, if I could
    >>> LVM-ize my Wp FP17 system . . .

    >> ...which is certainly possible; I've done it in the past myself...

    > Is this OS2LVM.DMD especially antique?
    >
    > [F:\]bldlevel os2lvm.dmd
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.15.152 Aug 28 2002
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2002
    > Signature: @#IBM:14.062#@ IBM Logical Volume Manager
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 14.62
    > File Version: 14.62

    Possibly...

    I have:-

    [H:\OS2\BOOT]bldlevel os2lvm.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    Signature: @#IBM:14.105#@ IBM Logical Volume Manager
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.105
    File Version: 14.105

    Regards

    Pete

  16. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:40:40 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

> [...]

    Well, OS2DASD.DMD (10.100) and OS2LVM.DMD (10.105) result in, "OS/2
    cannot operate your hard disk . . . ", right after USBMSD.ADD loads and
    before "The HPFS386 file system is loaded" msg

    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /v
    REM BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD /v

  17. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
> [...]

    Err...

    No, I did not state the above.

    Checking back through the thread - just in case I am having a "senior
    moment" :-) - I see it in 1 of your posts being attributed to Alex
    Taylor, possibly the result of a Google?

    > In <455a51b0$0$177$bb4e3ad8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 11/14/2006
    > > at 05:32 PM, Alex Taylor said:

    > >To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    > >OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    > >and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    > >line.

    > >It's also a good idea to replace os2ldr and os2dump with the lvm aware
    > >versions.

    > Well, OS2DASD.DMD (10.100) and OS2LVM.DMD (10.105) result in, "OS/2
    > cannot operate your hard disk . . . ", right after USBMSD.ADD loads and
    > before "The HPFS386 file system is loaded" msg
    >
    > BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /v
    > REM BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD /v

    Possibly a mismatch on lvm files, which should be easily rectified, or
    maybe not an "lvm aware" os2ldr - what kernel is in use there? 14.103a
    seems OK here.

    Regards

    Pete

  18. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    W4 FP17, kernel 14.103b

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CHS /V

    With OS2DASD.DMD at 14.100 (the newest I have) and OS2LVM.DMD at
    14.105, and with

    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /v
    BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD /v

    the system stops (". . . cannot operate HDD . . .") during boot.

    Swapping in OS2DASD.DMD 10.83 allows boot. A drive letter is still not
    assigned to the previously-created (via FDISK) partitions following the
    one visible partition on the USB HDD. While I'm not familiar with LVM's
    operation, LVMGUI will not start at all (lots of java errors); LVM.exe
    runs but I can do little with it; it will not (it seems) allow me to
    assign existing partitions to a volume. I can use it to delete and
    create partitions on the USB HDD but not volumes, so no drive letters.

    It seems I am stuck on the OS2DASD.DMD problem: LVM will want at least
    14.100, but the box does not boot with it set. It was implied that
    others have/are using the "14" series of OS2DASD.DMD on W4
    installations. Suggestions are solicited.

  19. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Well, this is wearing.

    Installing OS2DASD.DMD v14.104 to go with OS2LVM.DMD v14.105 gets a
    boot.

    One major difference is the boot time, which is reduced by about, oh,
    two minutes. It normally pauses either right after the "the HPFS386
    file system is installed" msg for a long time, due to the large SCSI
    disks attached to the system.

    So, it boots fast. LVM.exe now lets me assign drive letters to all
    three logical partitions on the WD 160GiB USB HDD; I am formatting
    partition No. 2 as I type this.

    However . . .
    This box is set up thus:

    Disk1:
    Primary BM
    C: Primary FAT16 DOS 300MiB
    D: Logical HPFS (OS/2 data) 7GiB
    E: Logical HPFS (OS/2 Boot) 1GiB
    freespace

    Disk2:
    Primary freespace
    F: Logical 64GiB
    G: Logical 64 GiB
    H: Logical 40 GiB

    [E:\os2\boot]lvm /query

    Disk Size (MB) Free Space: Total Largest
    [ D3 ] 17359 9326 9326
    Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    [ BOOT MANAGER ] 7 Primary In use
    [ C1 ] 305 Primary Available
    [ C2 ] 6714 Logical Available
    Warp 4 1004 Logical In use Warp 4
    [ FS1 ] 9326 Logical Available
    [ D2 ] 173138 7 7
    Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    [ FS2 ] 7 Logical Available
    [ A1 ] 65530 Logical Available
    [ A2 ] 65530 Logical Available
    [ A3 ] 42068 Logical Available
    [ D4 ] 152625 7 7
    Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    [ FS3 ] 7 Logical Available
    [Portable_1] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 1 ]
    [Portable_2] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 2 ]
    [Portable_3] 21571 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 3 ]

    Well, no drive letters are assigned to any partitions on Disk2. LVM
    sees the disk (in Physical view) but says the partitions are not
    formatted! I sure hope I can resolve this without resorting to backups.
    I was not expecting this.

    And, of course, I just realized that one of the three partitions on that
    disk contains expensive, un-backed-up data. I might have to re-learn a
    lesson.

  20. Re: USB "WD Passport" HDD w/Warp4 FP17

    Hi Al

    Al Savage wrote:
    > Well, this is wearing.
    >
    > Installing OS2DASD.DMD v14.104 to go with OS2LVM.DMD v14.105 gets a
    > boot.

    A step forward - hopefully.

    > One major difference is the boot time, which is reduced by about, oh,
    > two minutes. It normally pauses either right after the "the HPFS386
    > file system is installed" msg for a long time, due to the large SCSI
    > disks attached to the system.
    >
    > So, it boots fast. LVM.exe now lets me assign drive letters to all
    > three logical partitions on the WD 160GiB USB HDD; I am formatting
    > partition No. 2 as I type this.
    >
    > However . . .
    > This box is set up thus:
    >
    > Disk1:
    > Primary BM
    > C: Primary FAT16 DOS 300MiB
    > D: Logical HPFS (OS/2 data) 7GiB
    > E: Logical HPFS (OS/2 Boot) 1GiB
    > freespace
    >
    > Disk2:
    > Primary freespace
    > F: Logical 64GiB
    > G: Logical 64 GiB
    > H: Logical 40 GiB
    >
    > [E:\os2\boot]lvm /query
    >
    > Disk Size (MB) Free Space: Total Largest
    > [ D3 ] 17359 9326 9326
    > Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    > [ BOOT MANAGER ] 7 Primary In use
    > [ C1 ] 305 Primary Available
    > [ C2 ] 6714 Logical Available
    > Warp 4 1004 Logical In use Warp 4
    > [ FS1 ] 9326 Logical Available
    > [ D2 ] 173138 7 7
    > Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    > [ FS2 ] 7 Logical Available
    > [ A1 ] 65530 Logical Available
    > [ A2 ] 65530 Logical Available
    > [ A3 ] 42068 Logical Available
    > [ D4 ] 152625 7 7
    > Disk Partition Size (MB) Type Status Logical Volume
    > [ FS3 ] 7 Logical Available
    > [Portable_1] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 1 ]
    > [Portable_2] 65522 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 2 ]
    > [Portable_3] 21571 Logical In use [ REMOVABLE 3 ]
    >

    > Well, no drive letters are assigned to any partitions on Disk2. LVM
    > sees the disk (in Physical view) but says the partitions are not
    > formatted! I sure hope I can resolve this without resorting to backups.
    > I was not expecting this.

    Might be worth using DFSee to have a look and see if the partition
    tables are mangled www.dfsee.com

    Or, possibly, you need to run the "fdisk to lvm converter/preparer"
    mentioned earlier in the thread against that drive.

    > And, of course, I just realized that one of the three partitions on that
    > disk contains expensive, un-backed-up data. I might have to re-learn a
    > lesson.

    Hopefully the data is recoverable.

    Pete's lesson for the day: Never fanny with the hard drives unless you
    have a current backup.

    Yes, I learnt that the hard way as well :-(

    A thought occurs: If you had a Registered copy of DFSee you may be able
    to get help/advice from the author who seems a rather knowledgeable
    person on the subject of drive problems and their causes.

    Regards

    Pete