formatting a USB keyring memory stick - OS2

This is a discussion on formatting a USB keyring memory stick - OS2 ; I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only ...

  1. formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a
    USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be
    unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only
    33,316,864 bytes free. Second, LVM reports it has 180MB, no file system
    and all free space; an attempt to create a volume reports "operation not
    allowed" and "disk 6 reports a corrupt partition table". Third, CHKDSK
    says "SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed" and any
    copy operation I try results in the same error.

    What can I do to reformat the whole thing (it is empty, there's no data to
    preserve)?

    Thanks,

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  2. Re: formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    Hi Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a
    > USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be
    > unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only
    > 33,316,864 bytes free. Second, LVM reports it has 180MB, no file system
    > and all free space; an attempt to create a volume reports "operation not
    > allowed" and "disk 6 reports a corrupt partition table". Third, CHKDSK
    > says "SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed" and any
    > copy operation I try results in the same error.
    >
    > What can I do to reformat the whole thing (it is empty, there's no data to
    > preserve)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pierre

    It may be a U3 device which is something for Windows Users Only.

    I have a similar device, a Verbatim Plug'n Go 128Mb, which I got working
    with eCS by the expedient of deleting the existing partition and then
    creating a new partition followed by a FAT format.

    Plugs into and works with eCS, Windows (various) *nix (various) - no
    problems.

    I would like to add that Verbatim Support were absolutely !@!@@! - err,
    "unhelpful" is a polite way to phrase it.

    Their only response, which they repeated several times, was "We only
    support Windows" - and that, according to the Support Twat, applies to
    everything they produce including optical media. Needless to say I
    always choose an alternative to Verbatim now.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:20:37 +0000 (UTC), Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a
    > USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be
    > unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only
    > 33,316,864 bytes free. Second, LVM reports it has 180MB, no file system
    > and all free space; an attempt to create a volume reports "operation not
    > allowed" and "disk 6 reports a corrupt partition table". Third, CHKDSK
    > says "SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed" and any
    > copy operation I try results in the same error.
    >
    > What can I do to reformat the whole thing (it is empty, there's no data to
    > preserve)?

    One word: DFSee.

    That should let you delete and recreate the FAT16 partition, so that OS/2
    will be able to see it properly. Then you can format it (recommend
    keeping it FAT16), and hopefully it should be OK from there.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    Alex Taylor writes:
    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:20:37 +0000 (UTC), Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > > I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a
    > > USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be
    > > unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only
    > > 33,316,864 bytes free. Second, LVM reports it has 180MB, no file system
    > > and all free space; an attempt to create a volume reports "operation not
    > > allowed" and "disk 6 reports a corrupt partition table". Third, CHKDSK
    > > says "SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed" and any
    > > copy operation I try results in the same error.

    > One word: DFSee.
    >
    > That should let you delete and recreate the FAT16 partition, so that OS/2
    > will be able to see it properly. Then you can format it (recommend
    > keeping it FAT16), and hopefully it should be OK from there.

    I tried to do that, but I don't think it's working as I thought: I can
    choose "delete partition", then "create partition" and go through it all
    with the defaults, but in the end nothing has happened despite DFSee
    telling me that it did delete and create the partition.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  5. Re: formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    Hi Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Alex Taylor writes:
    >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:20:37 +0000 (UTC), Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    >>> I was given a promotional flash memory gizmo that plugs directly into a
    >>> USB socket. It is readily mounted as my drive K: but appears to be
    >>> unusable: first, although it is supposed to be 128MB, a DIR reports only
    >>> 33,316,864 bytes free. Second, LVM reports it has 180MB, no file system
    >>> and all free space; an attempt to create a volume reports "operation not
    >>> allowed" and "disk 6 reports a corrupt partition table". Third, CHKDSK
    >>> says "SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed" and any
    >>> copy operation I try results in the same error.

    >> One word: DFSee.
    >>
    >> That should let you delete and recreate the FAT16 partition, so that OS/2
    >> will be able to see it properly. Then you can format it (recommend
    >> keeping it FAT16), and hopefully it should be OK from there.

    > I tried to do that, but I don't think it's working as I thought: I can
    > choose "delete partition", then "create partition" and go through it all
    > with the defaults, but in the end nothing has happened despite DFSee
    > telling me that it did delete and create the partition.
    >
    > Pierre

    What buildlevel are usb base, msd and os2dasd.dmd drivers?

    The current levels are 10.162 for the usb bits involved and 14.104 for
    os2dasd.dmd which seem to work fairly well here.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: formatting a USB keyring memory stick

    Peter Brown writes:
    > What buildlevel are usb base, msd and os2dasd.dmd drivers?
    >
    > The current levels are 10.162 for the usb bits involved and 14.104 for
    > os2dasd.dmd which seem to work fairly well here.

    That is what I have as well.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

+ Reply to Thread