SCSI DVD - OS2

This is a discussion on SCSI DVD - OS2 ; I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now, and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah, I could ...

  1. SCSI DVD

    I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    Has anyone had any experience with the Panasonic IA-SW9574C-IS or
    similar?

    It's an internal 16x DVD-\+R 8x DVD-\+W 4x DVD-\+R DL 5x DVD-RAM.
    There are a few of these SCSI device on http://www.pricewatch.com
    but I'm open to suggestions, as long as the DVD is decent quality.

    What is a "bridge board"? Do I need such a beast? Can't I just set it
    with a new ID for my Adaptec 2940AU, get the right connector, install
    the dvddao & dvdburn stuff and fire it up?

    TIA
    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  2. Re: SCSI DVD

    On 03/11/07 01:51 pm Erick Andrews wrote:

    > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with the Panasonic IA-SW9574C-IS or
    > similar?
    >
    > It's an internal 16x DVD-\+R 8x DVD-\+W 4x DVD-\+R DL 5x DVD-RAM.
    > There are a few of these SCSI device on http://www.pricewatch.com
    > but I'm open to suggestions, as long as the DVD is decent quality.
    >
    > What is a "bridge board"? Do I need such a beast? Can't I just set it
    > with a new ID for my Adaptec 2940AU, get the right connector, install
    > the dvddao & dvdburn stuff and fire it up?

    I "polluted" my all-SCSI machine by the addition of a Plextor IDE DVD
    burner more than three years ago. The world has not yet come to an end,
    nor has the sky fallen even an inch or two, as far as I can tell.

    Perce

  3. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:51:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.multimedia, "Erick Andrews"
    wrote:

    > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    It's pointless not too. The IDE devices are so cheap and every mainboard for the
    last 10 years or so has come with decent IDE controllers on them (until recently
    when they've started to be abolished!). You can quite easily install an IDE DVD
    drive and still have access to all your SCSI devices so going the SCSI route is
    pointless - all you end up with is the same device but attached to a SCSI bus
    and costing you at least twice as much money and probably more. Gee, I just
    looked at the price of that SCSI device! $206. Buy 7 or 8 IDE devices and swap
    them in and out as they break!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:22:46 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:51:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.multimedia, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    > It's pointless not too. The IDE devices are so cheap and every mainboard for the
    > last 10 years or so has come with decent IDE controllers on them (until recently
    > when they've started to be abolished!). You can quite easily install an IDE DVD
    > drive and still have access to all your SCSI devices so going the SCSI route is
    > pointless - all you end up with is the same device but attached to a SCSI bus
    > and costing you at least twice as much money and probably more. Gee, I just
    > looked at the price of that SCSI device! $206. Buy 7 or 8 IDE devices and swap
    > them in and out as they break!

    Point taken.
    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  5. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:53:16 UTC, "Doug Bissett" wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:51:48 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    > ...snip...
    >
    > I would be almost willing to bet, that any SCSI DVD drive will simply
    > be an IDE drive, with a SCSI adapter tacked on. Why waste a lot of
    > money getting a SCSI DVD drive, when you can get an IDE drive, that is
    > virtually identical, for far less money?
    >
    > Just my C$.02...

    Point taken.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  6. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:52:55 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

    > On 03/11/07 01:51 pm Erick Andrews wrote:
    >
    > > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with the Panasonic IA-SW9574C-IS or
    > > similar?
    > >
    > > It's an internal 16x DVD-\+R 8x DVD-\+W 4x DVD-\+R DL 5x DVD-RAM.
    > > There are a few of these SCSI device on http://www.pricewatch.com
    > > but I'm open to suggestions, as long as the DVD is decent quality.
    > >
    > > What is a "bridge board"? Do I need such a beast? Can't I just set it
    > > with a new ID for my Adaptec 2940AU, get the right connector, install
    > > the dvddao & dvdburn stuff and fire it up?

    > I "polluted" my all-SCSI machine by the addition of a Plextor IDE DVD
    > burner more than three years ago. The world has not yet come to an end,
    > nor has the sky fallen even an inch or two, as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Perce

    I take your point. So, I'll have to figure out what a good one is for my main
    WSeB system. It would be nice, if you're gonna spend a few bob to get
    one that's got some features. Yes? Got any recommendations?

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  7. Re: SCSI DVD

    Erick Andrews wrote:
    > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    No reason not to use the idle IDE ports. In fact it can be a boon since
    it offers a parallel data path rather than adding to the traffic already
    existing on the SCSI bus. Besides it offers the sort of simple,
    single-minded data handling IDE is designed to support.
    BTW I can highly recommend the LSI logic lsi21040 u160 dual scsi
    adapter. If you can find it anymore. The lsi20160 single channel u160 is
    available as well for about $90.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  8. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:27:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    wrote:

    > Got any recommendations?

    My brother, and I, use a couple of LG GSA-4163B drives, with good
    success. They are compatible with all of the common media formats, and
    a few that aren't so common. Media is a whole other bag of snakes,
    when it comes to DVD. The ones, that I have used with varying success
    are:
    DVD-R
    DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    Other common ones, that I haven't tried, are:
    DVD-RW
    DVD-RAM
    The drive also reads, and writes:
    CD-R
    CD-RW
    and 3, or 4, other DVD formats.

    I say "with varying success", because I can use all of them on the
    drive that i created them on, but my old laptop cannot read some of
    the newer media (a limitation of the drive), so you do need to be
    careful what media you use, depending on what devices you want to read
    them with. The most likely to work, universally, is DVD-R.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  9. Re: SCSI DVD

    Sir:

    Doug Bissett wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:27:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Got any recommendations?

    > My brother, and I, use a couple of LG GSA-4163B drives, with good
    > success. They are compatible with all of the common media formats, and
    > a few that aren't so common. Media is a whole other bag of snakes,
    > when it comes to DVD. The ones, that I have used with varying success
    > are:
    > DVD-R
    > DVD+R
    > DVD+RW
    > Other common ones, that I haven't tried, are:
    > DVD-RW
    > DVD-RAM
    > The drive also reads, and writes:
    > CD-R
    > CD-RW
    > and 3, or 4, other DVD formats.
    >
    > I say "with varying success", because I can use all of them on the
    > drive that i created them on, but my old laptop cannot read some of
    > the newer media (a limitation of the drive), so you do need to be
    > careful what media you use, depending on what devices you want to read
    > them with. The most likely to work, universally, is DVD-R.
    >
    > Hope this helps...

    I use the same drive as Doug. I can add that DVD-RAM works with UDF.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: SCSI DVD

    Doug Bissett wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:27:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Got any recommendations?

    > My brother, and I, use a couple of LG GSA-4163B drives, with good
    > success. They are compatible with all of the common media formats, and
    > a few that aren't so common. Media is a whole other bag of snakes,
    > when it comes to DVD. The ones, that I have used with varying success
    > are:
    > DVD-R
    > DVD+R
    > DVD+RW
    > Other common ones, that I haven't tried, are:
    > DVD-RW
    > DVD-RAM
    > The drive also reads, and writes:
    > CD-R
    > CD-RW
    > and 3, or 4, other DVD formats.
    >
    > I say "with varying success", because I can use all of them on the
    > drive that i created them on, but my old laptop cannot read some of
    > the newer media (a limitation of the drive), so you do need to be
    > careful what media you use, depending on what devices you want to read
    > them with. The most likely to work, universally, is DVD-R.

    That has also been my experience with the LG GSA H10A. Moreover at $28 Canadian
    at NCIX it's practically free. It's the best DVD drive I've ever had. My first
    HP burner was over $300 and very tempermental.

  11. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 04:57:02 UTC, "Doug Bissett" wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:27:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Got any recommendations?

    > My brother, and I, use a couple of LG GSA-4163B drives, with good
    > success. They are compatible with all of the common media formats, and
    > a few that aren't so common. Media is a whole other bag of snakes,
    > when it comes to DVD. The ones, that I have used with varying success
    > are:
    > DVD-R
    > DVD+R
    > DVD+RW
    > Other common ones, that I haven't tried, are:
    > DVD-RW
    > DVD-RAM
    > The drive also reads, and writes:
    > CD-R
    > CD-RW
    > and 3, or 4, other DVD formats.
    >
    > I say "with varying success", because I can use all of them on the
    > drive that i created them on, but my old laptop cannot read some of
    > the newer media (a limitation of the drive), so you do need to be
    > careful what media you use, depending on what devices you want to read
    > them with. The most likely to work, universally, is DVD-R.
    >
    > Hope this helps...

    It does, very much so. Thanks.

    I used to be the first kid on the block with techie stuff. I've traded more of my
    learned ambition for more wisdom . . . I think.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  12. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:23:11 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:22:46 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:51:48 UTC in comp.os.os2.multimedia, "Erick Andrews"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > > > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > > > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > > > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.

    > > It's pointless not too. The IDE devices are so cheap and every mainboard for the
    > > last 10 years or so has come with decent IDE controllers on them (until recently
    > > when they've started to be abolished!). You can quite easily install an IDE DVD
    > > drive and still have access to all your SCSI devices so going the SCSI route is
    > > pointless - all you end up with is the same device but attached to a SCSI bus
    > > and costing you at least twice as much money and probably more. Gee, I just
    > > looked at the price of that SCSI device! $206. Buy 7 or 8 IDE devices and swap
    > > them in and out as they break!
    > >

    > Point taken.

    But when you do it: Watch out for the order of the statements in
    config.sys!
    I don't remember the details of the problem off-hand, but there was
    discussion of it last year on this(?) NG. Anyway, the DVD drive will
    configure itself as if it were another SCSI unit, and that may throw off
    some expected device numberings, depending on the order in which the boot
    process sees the config lines. I'll look it up if needed.

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  13. Re: SCSI DVD

    Erick Andrews schrieb:

    > I've been putting off getting a DVD device for some time. It appears
    > that there may be more affordable SCSI devices on the market now,
    > and all my stationary systems here at home, I built as SCSI. Yeah,
    > I could mix in an "IDE" type, but I'd really rather not.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with the Panasonic IA-SW9574C-IS or
    > similar?
    >
    > It's an internal 16x DVD-\+R 8x DVD-\+W 4x DVD-\+R DL 5x DVD-RAM.
    > There are a few of these SCSI device on http://www.pricewatch.com
    > but I'm open to suggestions, as long as the DVD is decent quality.
    >
    > What is a "bridge board"? Do I need such a beast? Can't I just set it
    > with a new ID for my Adaptec 2940AU, get the right connector, install
    > the dvddao & dvdburn stuff and fire it up?

    I also use a IDE to SCSI bridge for LG mulit DVD burner.

    SCSI is superior to IDE (SATA) except price.

    Hendrik

  14. Re: SCSI DVD

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    > SCSI is superior to IDE (SATA) except price.

    I dare you to proof your claim!

    Ciao,
    Dani

  15. Re: SCSI DVD

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    Daniela Engert spake unto us, saying:

    >Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    >
    >> SCSI is superior to IDE (SATA) except price.

    >I dare you to proof your claim!

    How do the two compare when doing I/O to multiple concurrent devices?

    That was SCSI's strength compared to IDE, at least historically.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  16. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:59:29 +0100, Daniela Engert
    wrote:
    >> SCSI is superior to IDE (SATA) except price.

    > I dare you to proof your claim!

    I suspect you mean "prove your claim". "Proof" is normally a noun; when
    used as a verb, it means to proof-read.

    Sorry about that, but as I learn more second languages I increasingly
    recognize the value of being corrected.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  17. Re: SCSI DVD

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:52:55, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > I "polluted" my all-SCSI machine by the addition of a Plextor IDE DVD
    > burner more than three years ago. The world has not yet come to an end,
    > nor has the sky fallen even an inch or two, as far as I can tell.

    But, _YOU_ and your IDE device are the cause of global-warming!

    :-)))

+ Reply to Thread