PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how? - OS2

This is a discussion on PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how? - OS2 ; Hi, I have recently replaced my Canon A80 (excellent camera) with a similar Canon A630 (apparently a worthy heir to the A80). My machine is a thinkpad X20 which has two built-in USB 1.1 ports and a CF card slot. ...

  1. PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    Hi,

    I have recently replaced my Canon A80 (excellent camera) with a similar
    Canon A630 (apparently a worthy heir to the A80).

    My machine is a thinkpad X20 which has two built-in USB 1.1 ports and a
    CF card slot. The A80 used CF cards which can easily be read on this
    machine, either via the CF card slot, or via a PCMCIA CF adapter (I
    tried two or three, all worked flawlessly).

    The problem now is that the A630 uses SD cards, which renders the CF
    slot usless. I have found a working USB SD card adapter, but that is not
    really fast on the USB 1.1 ports, and it is an external gadget. So, I
    went the route of a new PCMCIA card able to accomodate SD memory cards.

    Out of the three different makes I tried, all work with the w2k install
    on the same machine, but none worked with OS/2

    - Vivanco 5 in 1 card (SM, SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro)
    - Hama 7 in 1 card (similar to the above)
    - Datafab MMC/SD PCMCIA adaptor

    The SD card is not recognized by the system, nor by LVM.

    Here a few sniplets from my config.sys

    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /PCS /A:1 /BAY /DEBUG:31
    DEVICE=D:\DRIVERS\THINKPAD\VPCMCIA.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\DRIVERS\THINKPAD\PCMSSDIF.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\DRIVERS\THINKPAD\PCM2SRAM.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\DRIVERS\THINKPAD\FLSH2MTD.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\DRIVERS\THINKPAD\PCM2FLSH.SYS
    BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP

    The /PCS setting to Dani's driver did not change a thing (and that would
    be strange, anyway, given that the same system as is works fine with a
    PCMCIA to CF adapter card).

    Any takers? I know my USB adapter to be working, but would really like
    to be able to use a PCMCIA card for the SD memory things.

    Thanks in advance & Cheers, Stefan

  2. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:32:57 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:

    > Any takers? I know my USB adapter to be working, but would really like
    > to be able to use a PCMCIA card for the SD memory things.

    Not really.

    I suspect the problems are de to the fact that CF-cards have
    a built-in ATA controller, so the PCMCIA-adapter is basically
    just wiring.

    For SD, it must supply the logic (ATA controller) in
    the PCMCIA cards, and I guess the drivers for OS/2
    have some problems with these ...

    Regards, JvW

    PS:
    I use a very small 6-in-1 HAMA USB adapter that looks
    just like a memory-stick. Of course that does not solve
    the speed issue, but it is a lot smaller than most card readers.

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  3. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    Stefan A. Deutscher
    ], who wrote in article :
    > The problem now is that the A630 uses SD cards, which renders the CF
    > slot usless. I have found a working USB SD card adapter, but that is not
    > really fast on the USB 1.1 ports, and it is an external gadget. So, I
    > went the route of a new PCMCIA card able to accomodate SD memory cards.

    Just wild guessing: my camera came with MSDuo-into-CF adapter (and a
    different one with MSduo-into-MS one ;-); maybe there is an SD-into-CF adapter?

    Yours,
    Ilya

  4. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:12:38 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:
    >wrote in article :
    >> The problem now is that the A630 uses SD cards, which renders the CF
    >> slot usless. I have found a working USB SD card adapter, but that is not
    >> really fast on the USB 1.1 ports, and it is an external gadget. So, I
    >> went the route of a new PCMCIA card able to accomodate SD memory cards.

    >Just wild guessing: my camera came with MSDuo-into-CF adapter (and a
    >different one with MSduo-into-MS one ;-); maybe there is an SD-into-CF
    >adapter?

    Thanks for that pointer! A quick google search revealed that such
    adapters exist, indeed, and that for about 25 bucks. I will have a go at
    it and report back here. I'd hope that the SD2CF adpators contain
    internally all the ATAPI/IDE logic needed to play nicely, but one never
    knows. Stay tuned.

    Thanks again & Cheers,
    Stefan

    >Yours,
    >Ilya

  5. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On 19 Feb 2007 12:53:35 GMT, Jan van Wijk wrote:
    >On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:32:57 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    >

    >> Any takers? I know my USB adapter to be working, but would really like
    >> to be able to use a PCMCIA card for the SD memory things.

    >Not really. I suspect the problems are de to the fact that CF-cards
    >have a built-in ATA controller, so the PCMCIA-adapter is basically just
    >wiring. For SD, it must supply the logic (ATA controller) in the PCMCIA
    >cards, and I guess the drivers for OS/2 have some problems with these

    Thanks for chiming in, Jan! I was afraid it'd be something like this,
    after a number of models have failed to play. What is a shame though is
    that the PCMCIA card implementations of the ATA controllers wouldn't
    play with dani's drivers.

    >Regards, JvW
    >
    >PS: I use a very small 6-in-1 HAMA USB adapter that looks just like a
    >memory-stick. Of course that does not solve the speed issue, but it is
    >a lot smaller than most card readers.

    Yep, I have got one of those small gadgets for my USB port, too. They
    work, but are slow and outside the machine. Thanks for the pointer
    though.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    >--
    >Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  6. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:45:35 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    Hello Stefan (and Ilya),

    > >Just wild guessing: my camera came with MSDuo-into-CF adapter (and a
    > >different one with MSduo-into-MS one ;-); maybe there is an SD-into-CF
    > >adapter?

    > Thanks for that pointer! A quick google search revealed that such
    > adapters exist, indeed, and that for about 25 bucks. I will have a go at
    > it and report back here. I'd hope that the SD2CF adpators contain
    > internally all the ATAPI/IDE logic needed to play nicely, but one never
    > knows.

    Forgot all about those, but yes these exist.

    There are two types, one that is a CF/PCMCIA type I and
    the other is a type II, a bit thicker. The type II ones completely
    contain the SD card, and can be used in cameras, with the
    other the SD-card sticks out a bit, but that is no big problem
    when using it with a computer.

    The only drawback of these adaperse is again speed
    compared against a regular USB 2.0 SD reader.
    However, most likely it will be significantly faster
    than your current USB 1.1 reader ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  7. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    Jan van Wijk
    ], who wrote in article :
    > There are two types, one that is a CF/PCMCIA type I and
    > the other is a type II, a bit thicker. The type II ones completely
    > contain the SD card, and can be used in cameras, with the
    > other the SD-card sticks out a bit, but that is no big problem
    > when using it with a computer.

    Another consideration is that it may be useful to have an card-into-CF
    adapter which will be *permanently* connected to a CF-into-PCMCIA
    adapter (in fact, maybe the same is applicable to PCMCIA-into-computer
    interface). This means that when attached, the SD slot should be
    reachable from OUTSIDE (my into-CF adapter is NOT of this type, sigh...).

    The reason is that the major problem with CF interface (and probably
    PCMCIA interface too) [one which causes widespread shift to different
    formats] is the pins: there is a chance to bend them, and this is
    going to be it... So one should minimize attaching/detaching...

    Hmm, on the other hand, in your situation the CF pins are on
    CF-into-PCMCIA interface, which should be very cheap, right? So it is
    not going to be a major problem. Moreover, we are speaking about
    computers, not cameras, and the chance that you will use the interface
    when extremely exhausted (or on high attitude) is pretty fat. (And to
    bend pins, one must do something WRONG, so it usually happens in
    extreme situations...) So, probably, this consideration is not very
    applicable to this situation.

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On 21 Feb 2007 08:55:13 GMT, Jan van Wijk wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:45:35 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A.
    >Deutscher) wrote:
    >Hello Stefan (and Ilya),
    >
    >>>Just wild guessing: my camera came with MSDuo-into-CF adapter (and a
    >>>different one with MSduo-into-MS one ;-); maybe there is an
    >>>SD-into-CF adapter?

    >> Thanks for that pointer! A quick google search revealed that such
    >> adapters exist, indeed, and that for about 25 bucks. I will have a go
    >> at it and report back here. I'd hope that the SD2CF adpators contain
    >> internally all the ATAPI/IDE logic needed to play nicely, but one
    >> never knows. Stay tuned.

    >Forgot all about those, but yes these exist. There are two types, one
    >that is a CF/PCMCIA type I and the other is a type II, a bit thicker.
    >The type II ones completely contain the SD card, and can be used in
    >cameras, with the other the SD-card sticks out a bit, but that is no
    >big problem when using it with a computer. The only drawback of these
    >adaperse is again speed compared against a regular USB 2.0 SD reader.
    >However, most likely it will be significantly faster than your current
    >USB 1.1 reader ...

    So, here is the promised follow-up:

    With a SD to CF adapter, I can now read a card faster than via USB 1.1,
    but only in the built-in CF card slot of this particular Thinkpad X20.
    Going the route SD to CF adapter in a CF to PCMCIA adapter did not work
    with the PCMCIA adapter I could get my hands on.

    Long version:
    ---------------

    I did get a JOBO SD/MMC to CF Card adapter (Article # SE9104, capable of
    PIO4 16,6 MB/s transfers) for about 25 USD. (Olympus make or used to
    make something similar looking labelled as MACF-10.) This adapter is of
    the CF II variety, that is, a bit thicker, and does not fit into PCMCIA
    CF card adapters designed for only CF I type cards. It should fine into
    those designed for CF I and CF II cards, obviously, but I don't have one
    at hand.

    I doubt that the card in the slot is addressed in PIO4 mode, and Dani's
    output does not appear to see it at all:

    R1.7.4 /DEBUG:31
    OEMBuses:8,
    Bus 0:[->1]& 0/39=8086/7111,0/2: P(E0:EA)1 P(A0:EA)2 [->4]
    Bus 1:
    Bus 2:
    Bus 3:
    Bus 4:
    Bus 5:
    Bus 6:
    Bus 7:
    CF:0[R(L50,50,D0,58,50'1L00,0,80,0-'0)F:0/4000u0/0I(U0s50/0)H:604B,iu0\
    /8]U(aD /B4/F0;U6/D2/P4,BP4,F:4100>M:0,SMS:8010/110/255,I(U0s50/0)N:4A85300:4A\
    85300,63/16/16383,63/16/16383/16514064,0
    GeoI: C:16383 H:16 S:63 T:78140160
    bG LGeoB: H:0 S:0
    LGeo3: H:240 S:63
    LGeoI: C:65535 H:16 S:63
    4A85300/3B10=1430,4A85300/3F0=12ED0,4A85300/3B10=1430,>F:6000/4120S:0)\
    U(G CF:0[R(L50,50,D0,51a,D0,58,50'2L00,0,80,0-'0)F:0/4000u0/1I(U0s50/0)H:0\
    ,iu0/8]U(aD ,P4/B4/F0;U3/D2/P4,BP4,F:101>F:0/101S:0)U(G FP4/4;UF:4120,O:6000F:204120,Cbl:00,Lvl:3,Cap:017F,I2/P4/D2/U3/F:20412\
    0,FP4/4;UF:101,O:0F:200101,Cbl:00,Lvl:3,Cap:017F,I2/P4/D2/U3/F:200101,
    Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.4
    Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    Intel PIIX4 PATA host (8086:7111 rev:01) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
    Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4 BIOS
    Model:TOSHIBA MK4018GAP M0.03 A
    OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
    C 5168 65535 65535 16383 Avail 78140160
    H 240 16 240 16 16 OS2 78140160
    S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 100.00
    Controller:1 Port:0170 IRQ:0F Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
    Intel PIIX4 PATA host (8086:7111 rev:01) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
    Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
    Model:_NEC DVD_RW ND-7550A 1.01

    V[aI(U0s50/0)]V[aI(U0s50/0)]

    Testing this SD/MMC to CF Card adapter with 2 GB SD card (Sandisk Ultra
    II capable of 16 MB/s) in the built-in CF slot of the thinkpad X20 with
    my current setting of

    DISKCACHE=1024,LW,32

    "cp.exe" Writes the 29 images in E:/tmp/vater with a total size of 32MB
    onto the SD card in 48 seconds vs. 80 seconds via the USB 1.1 attached
    SD card reader. Unmounting with umount_local.exe j: is useful. Not
    blazingly fast but nice.

    Increasing the

    DISKCACHE=2048,LW,32

    yields 30 sec read from and also 30 sec write to card with "cp.exe",
    with the built-in copy command reads from, and writes to the card drop
    down to 24-27 seconds. This is more or less on par with the speed
    observed under w2k. So, 1 MB/s may well be the internal limiation of the
    connection of the CF slot to the guts of the machine.

    Increasing to 4 MB cache in the config.sys

    DISKCACHE=4096,LW,32

    does not speed this up any further, which is most likely due to the
    distribution of the file size of the 29 jpegs used for the test: Most
    fit already in 1 MB, but 10 are between one and two MB, while only one
    exceeds 2 MB.

    3035409 dsc_0400.jpg 749947 dsc_0422.jpg
    1914472 img_0092.jpg 746077 dsc_0412.jpg
    1803160 img_0096.jpg 744738 dsc_0423.jpg
    1744757 img_0100.jpg 740420 dsc_0413.jpg
    1724345 img_0093.jpg 738871 dsc_0421.jpg
    1715754 img_0099.jpg 734661 dsc_0410.jpg
    1651149 img_0095.jpg 728491 dsc_0415.jpg
    1640992 dsc_0403.jpg 727873 dsc_0424.jpg
    1577773 dsc_0404.jpg 725661 dsc_0409.jpg
    1506404 img_0094.jpg 719408 dsc_0408.jpg
    1461003 dsc_0401.jpg 717409 dsc_0418.jpg
    921861 dsc_0406.jpg 702440 dsc_0419.jpg
    755864 dsc_0416.jpg 681269 dsc_0414.jpg
    754793 dsc_0407.jpg 673418 dsc_0411.jpg
    754625 dsc_0417.jpg

    On w2k with write cache (size - who knows): 20 sec read from card, 25
    sec write to card.

    A bit later, I got a CF PCMCIA (PC card) adapter (make: Vivanco, model:
    18255) that can hold also CFII cards. The JOBO SD to CF adapter fits,
    the whole thing is recognized and usable in a few seconds when booted
    into w2k, but it is not even seen in eCS 1.2. I suspect the PCMCIA
    drivers to not recognize the PCMCIA card, but who knows.

    I'd love to mail the bunch of cards to who ever is working on the
    drivers so they could toy around with them for the general common good.

    Anyway, thanks for all pointers & hints!

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    --
    Stefan A. Deutscher email: sad@mailaps.org

  9. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > I have recently replaced my Canon A80 (excellent camera) with a similar
    > Canon A630 (apparently a worthy heir to the A80).
    >
    > My machine is a thinkpad X20 which has two built-in USB 1.1 ports and a
    > CF card slot. The A80 used CF cards which can easily be read on this
    > machine, either via the CF card slot, or via a PCMCIA CF adapter (I
    > tried two or three, all worked flawlessly).
    >
    > The problem now is that the A630 uses SD cards, which renders the CF
    > slot usless. I have found a working USB SD card adapter, but that is not
    > really fast on the USB 1.1 ports, and it is an external gadget. So, I
    > went the route of a new PCMCIA card able to accomodate SD memory cards.

    I have a Canon S3IS which has a USB connector on the side. I have
    downloaded and installed Rick Walsh's Camaredia. This wonderful piece
    of software resides on my task bar where oneclick brings it up after I
    connect the camera. I then select the photos, videos, and/or sound
    recordings and have it transfer them to the hard drive. Check out this
    excellent software.

    Regards,
    Ted

  10. Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?

    On Thu, 3 May 2007 06:16:06 UTC, Ted Edwards
    wrote:

    > Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > > I have recently replaced my Canon A80 (excellent camera) with a similar
    > > Canon A630 (apparently a worthy heir to the A80).
    > >
    > > My machine is a thinkpad X20 which has two built-in USB 1.1 ports and a
    > > CF card slot. The A80 used CF cards which can easily be read on this
    > > machine, either via the CF card slot, or via a PCMCIA CF adapter (I
    > > tried two or three, all worked flawlessly).
    > >
    > > The problem now is that the A630 uses SD cards, which renders the CF
    > > slot usless. I have found a working USB SD card adapter, but that is not
    > > really fast on the USB 1.1 ports, and it is an external gadget. So, I
    > > went the route of a new PCMCIA card able to accomodate SD memory cards.

    > I have a Canon S3IS which has a USB connector on the side. I have
    > downloaded and installed Rick Walsh's Camaredia. This wonderful piece
    > of software resides on my task bar where oneclick brings it up after I
    > connect the camera. I then select the photos, videos, and/or sound
    > recordings and have it transfer them to the hard drive. Check out this
    > excellent software.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ted

    This sort of thing works fine in my CF card-using camera as well as the
    CF slot in my USB reader in my main box and with a CF to PCMCIA adapter
    in my laptop:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...08674&ssPageNa
    me=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=150107496217&itemcount=4&
    refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype
    =cross_promot_widget

    The difference between the SD and CF cards is that the CF cards have a
    sort of "ATA controller" built in, which the SD cards don't.

    HTH,
    Pete