Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro! - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro! - OS2 ; Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Peter Brown spake unto us, saying: >Sounds like a huge improvement over a Linksys NSLU2 that I used to own. > >Does this device fully support EAs? Not with its default settings. It is possible to load ...

  1. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:

    >Sounds like a huge improvement over a Linksys NSLU2 that I used to own.
    >
    >Does this device fully support EAs?

    Not with its default settings.

    It is possible to load your own custom firmware into the device, tho,
    so it may also be possible to change the settings used by the Samba
    server running on the device. I've not done that yet.

    I tend to make backups using InfoZIP's ZIP utility (which saves EA's in
    the ZIP file) and only use it to serve data like MP3 files which don't
    really require EA's.

    >Is it possible to use File and Print Client to read and write to this
    >device?

    I don't think I understand the question. OS/2's standard file sharing
    works just fine. Just use the appropriate NET USE command.

    Are you talking about something else?

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  2. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Hi Richard

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> Sounds like a huge improvement over a Linksys NSLU2 that I used to own.
    >>
    >> Does this device fully support EAs?

    > Not with its default settings.
    >
    > It is possible to load your own custom firmware into the device, tho,
    > so it may also be possible to change the settings used by the Samba
    > server running on the device. I've not done that yet.

    Sounds a bit like the NSLU2 that I sacked not long ago :-)

    > I tend to make backups using InfoZIP's ZIP utility (which saves EA's in
    > the ZIP file) and only use it to serve data like MP3 files which don't
    > really require EA's.
    >
    >> Is it possible to use File and Print Client to read and write to this
    >> device?

    > I don't think I understand the question. OS/2's standard file sharing
    > works just fine. Just use the appropriate NET USE command.
    >
    > Are you talking about something else?

    Can the File and Print Client Resource Browser be used successfully with
    this device:-

    Are shared drives/directories/files displayed correctly?

    Can drives/directories/files be copied to and from the device using the
    F&P Browser?

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >>> Does this device fully support EAs?

    >> Not with its default settings.
    >>
    >> It is possible to load your own custom firmware into the device, tho,
    >> so it may also be possible to change the settings used by the Samba
    >> server running on the device. I've not done that yet.

    >Sounds a bit like the NSLU2 that I sacked not long ago :-)

    Why did you end up getting rid of the previous device?

    >>> Is it possible to use File and Print Client to read and write to this
    >>> device?

    >> I don't think I understand the question. OS/2's standard file sharing
    >> works just fine. Just use the appropriate NET USE command.
    >>
    >> Are you talking about something else?

    >Can the File and Print Client Resource Browser be used successfully
    >with this device:-

    Are you talking about that almost unusable thing under Connections?

    Yuck! It's extremely slow, it's somewhat awkward to use even when it
    does manage to see the servers on the LAN correctly, and it leaves old
    servers and shares lying around in its window *months* after they've
    been physically removed from the LAN.

    I've not used that seriously for years -- not with so many other far
    more reliable interfaces around that do roughly the same thing.

    As far as I can tell, using the F&PCRB interface, you can do very basic
    drive letter assigns and deassigns to the LinkStation and to any of its
    attached external USB drives (I only have the one), but that's about
    it. No folder viewing, etc.

    Makes no sense at all to me, since I currently have both LinkStation
    drives mounted and visible to the WPS and to just about everything else
    using the standard OS/2 NET USE command:

    BigMike: OS/2 Fullscreen #2 > net use

    Status Local name Remote name
    OK U: \\BUFFALO\USBDISK1 <--- LinkStation
    OK V: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEF <--- Win2k
    OK W: \\WINXPBOX\DRIVED <--- Misnamed Win2k box
    OK X: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEG <--- Win2k
    OK Y: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEH <--- Win2k
    OK Z: \\BUFFALO\SHARE <--- LinkStation
    The command completed successfully.

    The F&PCRB interface also has problems seeing my Windows 2000 servers
    here even though I can mount them and use them at will using NET USE
    commands or other GUI tools. As far as I can tell, F&PCRB is broken
    by design. I'm using stock networking with no fixpacks applied, so
    that might explain it, but I've really seen no use for that "tool".

    FWIW, the standard Warp 4 "Shared Resources and Network Connections"
    object is able to show the different shared drives on the Buffalo unit
    and assign/deassign drives. IBM's Connection Manager v2.0 (a nice
    little GUI utility that IBM hid in X:/ibmlan/netprog/CONMAN.EXE on most
    OS/2 systems)) can list, view, and assign/deassign drives from the
    device, and the shareware NetUse 1.5 also seems to work quite well.

    I tend to use the command line, though. NET VIEW, NET USE, etc., as
    it seems to always work.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  4. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Hi Richard

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:

    >>> Not with its default settings.
    >>>
    >>> It is possible to load your own custom firmware into the device, tho,
    >>> so it may also be possible to change the settings used by the Samba
    >>> server running on the device. I've not done that yet.

    >> Sounds a bit like the NSLU2 that I sacked not long ago :-)

    > Why did you end up getting rid of the previous device?

    Lack of support for EAs.

    Problems with accessing using F&PBrowser.

    ****ty support from Linksys.

    >>> I don't think I understand the question. OS/2's standard file sharing
    >>> works just fine. Just use the appropriate NET USE command.
    >>>
    >>> Are you talking about something else?

    >> Can the File and Print Client Resource Browser be used successfully
    >> with this device:-

    > Are you talking about that almost unusable thing under Connections?

    Yes.

    Yes it has problems but I have 3 users to support who do not want to
    faff around with command lines so it is a necessity here.

    > Yuck! It's extremely slow, it's somewhat awkward to use even when it
    > does manage to see the servers on the LAN correctly, and it leaves old
    > servers and shares lying around in its window *months* after they've
    > been physically removed from the LAN.
    >
    > I've not used that seriously for years -- not with so many other far
    > more reliable interfaces around that do roughly the same thing.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, using the F&PCRB interface, you can do very basic
    > drive letter assigns and deassigns to the LinkStation and to any of its
    > attached external USB drives (I only have the one), but that's about
    > it. No folder viewing, etc.

    End of interest in the device...

    Thanks

    Pete

    > Makes no sense at all to me, since I currently have both LinkStation
    > drives mounted and visible to the WPS and to just about everything else
    > using the standard OS/2 NET USE command:
    >
    > BigMike: OS/2 Fullscreen #2 > net use
    >
    > Status Local name Remote name
    > OK U: \\BUFFALO\USBDISK1 <--- LinkStation
    > OK V: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEF <--- Win2k
    > OK W: \\WINXPBOX\DRIVED <--- Misnamed Win2k box
    > OK X: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEG <--- Win2k
    > OK Y: \\HILLGIANT\DRIVEH <--- Win2k
    > OK Z: \\BUFFALO\SHARE <--- LinkStation
    > The command completed successfully.
    >
    > The F&PCRB interface also has problems seeing my Windows 2000 servers
    > here even though I can mount them and use them at will using NET USE
    > commands or other GUI tools. As far as I can tell, F&PCRB is broken
    > by design. I'm using stock networking with no fixpacks applied, so
    > that might explain it, but I've really seen no use for that "tool".
    >
    > FWIW, the standard Warp 4 "Shared Resources and Network Connections"
    > object is able to show the different shared drives on the Buffalo unit
    > and assign/deassign drives. IBM's Connection Manager v2.0 (a nice
    > little GUI utility that IBM hid in X:/ibmlan/netprog/CONMAN.EXE on most
    > OS/2 systems)) can list, view, and assign/deassign drives from the
    > device, and the shareware NetUse 1.5 also seems to work quite well.
    >
    > I tend to use the command line, though. NET VIEW, NET USE, etc., as
    > it seems to always work.

  5. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:19:42 GMT in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:

    > Hi Richard
    >
    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> Why did you end up getting rid of the previous device?

    > Lack of support for EAs.

    This will apply to anything you purchase unless you're willing to do
    things like flash it with a custom ROM.

    > Problems with accessing using F&PBrowser.

    I think the problem here is F&PBrowser.

    > ****ty support from Linksys.

    I was quite pleased with the support from Buffalo. FWIW.

    >> Are you talking about that almost unusable thing under Connections?

    > Yes.
    >
    > Yes it has problems but I have 3 users to support who do not want to
    > faff around with command lines so it is a necessity here.

    I mentioned three other ways to assign and deassign drive letters using
    GUI tools.

    Also, if you mount the drives automatically at boot time as I do (by
    putting a simple CMD file in the Startup folder), the drives required
    will always be mounted, and they can use whatever they want to access
    the drives (as far as they can tell they're local drives).

    Is there some reason that wouldn't work?

    My netdrives.cmd is as follows:

    net use U: \\hillgiant\DriveE
    net use V: \\hillgiant\DriveF
    net use W: \\winxpbox\drived
    net use X: \\hillgiant\DriveG
    net use Y: \\hillgiant\DriveH
    net use Z: \\buffalo\share

    There's nothing to it.

    >> As far as I can tell, using the F&PCRB interface, you can do very basic
    >> drive letter assigns and deassigns to the LinkStation and to any of its
    >> attached external USB drives (I only have the one), but that's about
    >> it. No folder viewing, etc.

    > End of interest in the device...

    You seem to have tool-specific requirements which I admittedly don't
    understand

    Even if your users are unwilling to use a command line AND they have a
    need to dynamically mount and unmount network drives from the thing, it
    is quite easy to handle things without dropping to a command line and
    without using the crappy interface you're apparently used to using.

    Maybe it would be better if you were to state your requirements in a
    general way instead of tying them to a particular limited/broken tool?

    Do they really have a need to mount and unmount drives themselves?

    If not, what's the issue?

    If so, what's wrong with the other two graphical network drive mounting
    interfaces that standard OS/2 provides?

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  6. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Hi Richard

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:19:42 GMT in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> Hi Richard
    >>
    >> Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why did you end up getting rid of the previous device?

    >> Lack of support for EAs.

    > This will apply to anything you purchase unless you're willing to do
    > things like flash it with a custom ROM.

    Yes, you are right about that.

    To make life easier I now use an older pc with Warp4 fp15+ installed as
    a "file server" - no problems at all :-)

    >> Problems with accessing using F&PBrowser.

    > I think the problem here is F&PBrowser.

    Well, it certainly has problems with >2Gb files.

    >> ****ty support from Linksys.

    > I was quite pleased with the support from Buffalo. FWIW.

    It has taken Buffalo Support 2 weeks to establish that they do not
    understand the question...

    That is a big improvement over Linksys though :-)

    >>> Are you talking about that almost unusable thing under Connections?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> Yes it has problems but I have 3 users to support who do not want to
    >> faff around with command lines so it is a necessity here.

    > I mentioned three other ways to assign and deassign drive letters using
    > GUI tools.
    >
    > Also, if you mount the drives automatically at boot time as I do (by
    > putting a simple CMD file in the Startup folder), the drives required
    > will always be mounted, and they can use whatever they want to access
    > the drives (as far as they can tell they're local drives).
    >
    > Is there some reason that wouldn't work?

    Yes.

    Drive letter assignments would be different on each system here which
    would cause confusion for the users.

    > My netdrives.cmd is as follows:
    >
    > net use U: \\hillgiant\DriveE
    > net use V: \\hillgiant\DriveF
    > net use W: \\winxpbox\drived
    > net use X: \\hillgiant\DriveG
    > net use Y: \\hillgiant\DriveH
    > net use Z: \\buffalo\share
    >
    > There's nothing to it.
    >
    >>> As far as I can tell, using the F&PCRB interface, you can do very basic
    >>> drive letter assigns and deassigns to the LinkStation and to any of its
    >>> attached external USB drives (I only have the one), but that's about
    >>> it. No folder viewing, etc.

    >> End of interest in the device...

    > You seem to have tool-specific requirements which I admittedly don't
    > understand

    Simple.

    Browse the shared drives/directories/files on the "file server", copy
    drives/directories/files when/as required in either direction using a
    graphical interface.

    Keep it simple to avoid unnecessary user confusion.

    > Even if your users are unwilling to use a command line AND they have a
    > need to dynamically mount and unmount network drives from the thing, it
    > is quite easy to handle things without dropping to a command line and
    > without using the crappy interface you're apparently used to using.
    >
    > Maybe it would be better if you were to state your requirements in a
    > general way instead of tying them to a particular limited/broken tool?
    >
    > Do they really have a need to mount and unmount drives themselves?
    >
    > If not, what's the issue?
    >
    > If so, what's wrong with the other two graphical network drive mounting
    > interfaces that standard OS/2 provides?

    And the alternative shared drive/directory/files interfaces are?

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: Just upgraded to a 250GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro!

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    Peter Brown spake unto us, saying:

    >To make life easier I now use an older pc with Warp4 fp15+ installed as
    >a "file server" - no problems at all :-)

    Yeah, that's one of the better solutions if you need complete support
    for EAs. Maybe the best one. :-)

    >>> Problems with accessing using F&PBrowser.

    >> I think the problem here is F&PBrowser.

    >Well, it certainly has problems with >2Gb files.

    I've not had to test that yet. My largest files are 350MB or so.

    >It has taken Buffalo Support 2 weeks to establish that they do not
    >understand the question...
    >
    >That is a big improvement over Linksys though :-)

    Not surprised. I've talked to them once (when my fan died), and that
    was something they were able to handle quite well. Once I got through
    the phone queue, anyway.

    >> I mentioned three other ways to assign and deassign drive letters using
    >> GUI tools.
    >>
    >> Also, if you mount the drives automatically at boot time as I do (by
    >> putting a simple CMD file in the Startup folder), the drives required
    >> will always be mounted, and they can use whatever they want to access
    >> the drives (as far as they can tell they're local drives).
    >>
    >> Is there some reason that wouldn't work?

    >Yes.
    >
    >Drive letter assignments would be different on each system here which
    >would cause confusion for the users.

    Why would they be different? Whose choice was that?

    It's certainly isn't an OS/2 requirement. Or a Windows requirement.

    I always use the same drive letters for fileserver partitions on each
    of my systems, I mount them all at boot time, and I start from Z: and
    work my way down.

    I know that Z: and Y: are my LinkStation, X: is my IntelliStation, W:
    is my wife's box, and U: and V: are my Proliant everywhere on my LAN.

    That convension has made my life *much* easier over the years. All I
    need to know is that my music archive is on Z:. :-)

    >> You seem to have tool-specific requirements which I admittedly don't
    >> understand

    >Simple.
    >
    >Browse the shared drives/directories/files on the "file server", copy
    >drives/directories/files when/as required in either direction using a
    >graphical interface.
    >
    >Keep it simple to avoid unnecessary user confusion.

    It sounds like you're making their life complicated (at least to me).

    Why make them "browse" at all? Network drives should be treated the
    same as local ones as far as they are concerned. So much simpler.

    For a LinkStation, I would pick Z: for the server, pre-mount it at boot
    time, and be done with it.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread