Re: JFS volume unreachable - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: JFS volume unreachable - OS2 ; Aymeric Peyret wrote: > Hi, > > I had a JFS volume on my hard disk that is now unreachable. It is still > listed in the LVM, but it seems that the file system type (JFS) has been > ...

  1. Re: JFS volume unreachable

    Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had a JFS volume on my hard disk that is now unreachable. It is still
    > listed in the LVM, but it seems that the file system type (JFS) has been
    > corrupted, as Minilvm lists only strange characters (see attached
    > picture, if the newsgroup server accepts attachments).
    >
    > Is there a way to repair that ? I am thinking about DFsee (I registered
    > version 7, I hope there is still support for it), but as I do not really
    > know how to do the operation, I do not want to mess up with my disk even
    > more.

    Sounds like a job for JRescuer.

    http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/jrescuer/

    You can purchase a license at Mensys.

  2. Re: JFS volume unreachable

    James J. Weinkam wrote:
    > Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I had a JFS volume on my hard disk that is now unreachable. It is
    >> still listed in the LVM, but it seems that the file system type (JFS)
    >> has been corrupted, as Minilvm lists only strange characters (see
    >> attached picture, if the newsgroup server accepts attachments).
    >>
    >> Is there a way to repair that ? I am thinking about DFsee (I
    >> registered version 7, I hope there is still support for it), but as I
    >> do not really know how to do the operation, I do not want to mess up
    >> with my disk even more.
    >>

    > Sounds like a job for JRescuer.
    >
    > http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/jrescuer/
    >
    > You can purchase a license at Mensys.

    Hi James,

    thanks for the reminder. Are you sure that Jrescuer can work at the
    partition table/LVM level ? I thought that Jrescuer was only used for
    the recovery at a file level, and that DFsee was the tool to use when
    the only problem was an LVM/partition table issue.

    AyPP

  3. Re: JFS volume unreachable

    Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    > James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >
    >> Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I had a JFS volume on my hard disk that is now unreachable. It is
    >>> still listed in the LVM, but it seems that the file system type (JFS)
    >>> has been corrupted, as Minilvm lists only strange characters (see
    >>> attached picture, if the newsgroup server accepts attachments).
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to repair that ? I am thinking about DFsee (I
    >>> registered version 7, I hope there is still support for it), but as I
    >>> do not really know how to do the operation, I do not want to mess up
    >>> with my disk even more.
    >>>

    >> Sounds like a job for JRescuer.
    >>
    >> http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/jrescuer/
    >>
    >> You can purchase a license at Mensys.

    > Hi James,
    >
    > thanks for the reminder. Are you sure that Jrescuer can work at the
    > partition table/LVM level ? I thought that Jrescuer was only used for
    > the recovery at a file level, and that DFsee was the tool to use when
    > the only problem was an LVM/partition table issue.
    >
    > AyPP

    You are correct in saying that DFSee is a good tool to fix the partition table.
    I don't know if JRescuer can cope with a corrupt partition table.

    DFSee is now at version 8.08 and is getting better all the time. It also can be
    purchased at Mensys. Unfortunately, Jan van Wijk broke his leg at Warpstock
    Europe and is temporarily limited in what he can do. So it may take a little
    longer than usual to upgrade. On the other hand version 7 is probably good
    enough for your problem.

  4. Re: JFS volume unreachable

    James J. Weinkam wrote:
    > Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    >> James J. Weinkam wrote:

    >>> Sounds like a job for JRescuer.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/jrescuer/
    >>>
    >>> You can purchase a license at Mensys.

    >> Hi James,
    >>
    >> thanks for the reminder. Are you sure that Jrescuer can work at the
    >> partition table/LVM level ? I thought that Jrescuer was only used for
    >> the recovery at a file level, and that DFsee was the tool to use when
    >> the only problem was an LVM/partition table issue.
    >>
    >> AyPP

    > You are correct in saying that DFSee is a good tool to fix the partition
    > table. I don't know if JRescuer can cope with a corrupt partition table.
    >
    > DFSee is now at version 8.08 and is getting better all the time. It
    > also can be purchased at Mensys. Unfortunately, Jan van Wijk broke his
    > leg at Warpstock Europe and is temporarily limited in what he can do.
    > So it may take a little longer than usual to upgrade. On the other hand
    > version 7 is probably good enough for your problem.

    I have to add the following: I tried in DFsee to use the commands :
    MODE=FDISK -> Change partition type -> Click on the broken partition ->
    Click on JFS...

    but I got these messages:

    Execute autoshow : 'part -r -disk:3 -Only!'

    EBR08=N: warning : A Windows-specific extended-partition type 0x0f is
    used.
    Some operating systems might not see the logical
    partitions
    EBR09=-n warning : A Windows-specific extended-partition type 0x0f is
    used.
    Some operating systems might not see the logical
    partitions
    Pid09=-n WARNING : Not formatted or LVM/JFS multiple partition

    I of course know it was formatted, and not part of a multiple partition
    (external hard disk I installed after everything else).

    If someone knows how to repair that...

    AyPP

  5. Re: JFS volume unreachable

    Aymeric Peyret wrote:
    > James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >
    >> Aymeric Peyret wrote:

    >>> Hi James,
    >>>
    >>> thanks for the reminder. Are you sure that Jrescuer can work at the
    >>> partition table/LVM level ? I thought that Jrescuer was only used for
    >>> the recovery at a file level, and that DFsee was the tool to use when
    >>> the only problem was an LVM/partition table issue.
    >>>
    >>> AyPP

    >> You are correct in saying that DFSee is a good tool to fix the
    >> partition table. I don't know if JRescuer can cope with a corrupt
    >> partition table.
    >>
    >> DFSee is now at version 8.08 and is getting better all the time. It
    >> also can be purchased at Mensys. Unfortunately, Jan van Wijk broke
    >> his leg at Warpstock Europe and is temporarily limited in what he can
    >> do. So it may take a little longer than usual to upgrade. On the
    >> other hand version 7 is probably good enough for your problem.

    > I have to add the following: I tried in DFsee to use the commands :
    > MODE=FDISK -> Change partition type -> Click on the broken partition ->
    > Click on JFS...
    >
    > but I got these messages:
    >
    > Execute autoshow : 'part -r -disk:3 -Only!'
    > EBR08=N: warning : A Windows-specific extended-partition type 0x0f is
    > used.
    > Some operating systems might not see the logical
    > partitions
    > EBR09=-n warning : A Windows-specific extended-partition type 0x0f is
    > used.
    > Some operating systems might not see the logical
    > partitions
    > Pid09=-n WARNING : Not formatted or LVM/JFS multiple partition
    >
    > I of course know it was formatted, and not part of a multiple partition
    > (external hard disk I installed after everything else).
    >

    > If someone knows how to repair that...
    >

    > AyPP

    Try asking Jan. It may take longer than usual for him to respond because of his
    injury, but he indicated his intention to keep plugging away as best he can.

+ Reply to Thread