Adaptec SCSI driver questions - OS2

This is a discussion on Adaptec SCSI driver questions - OS2 ; Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec SCSI support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM? Does anyone here have comments about model differences and so on for Adaptec SCSI PCI cards for this driver as to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec SCSI
    support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM? Does anyone here have comments
    about model differences and so on for Adaptec SCSI PCI cards for this driver as
    to variations like we find in the U2 - U2W - U2Pro scenario for the 160 level
    cards? Are these controllers 68 pin or 80 pin operations?

    For example, all the Seagate SCSI drives recently available are listed as U320
    level hardware, despite that the LW versions of the drives are still 68 pin
    technology. Twisted pair SCSI cable support is available for 68 pin
    technology. For compatibility purposes in the hardware mix in my operation I
    still have the 68 pin configuration hardware. Including new Seagate 15,000RPM
    drives. But I've taken a couple curious errors over several months of use and
    am wondering if the really safest thing to do is to move away from the U2WPro
    version of the Adaptec cards to the higher grade controller cards just to try
    to improve long term reliabiliy.

    Comments and information would be appreciated. Thanks!

  2. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Mike Luther writes:

    > Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec SCSI
    > support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM?

    Mine is timestamped 2001 Oct 25 16:17:06.

  3. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    On 11/19/06 06:33 am mike luther wrote:

    > Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec
    > SCSI support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM? Does anyone here have
    > comments about model differences and so on for Adaptec SCSI PCI cards
    > for this driver as to variations like we find in the U2 - U2W - U2Pro
    > scenario for the 160 level cards? Are these controllers 68 pin or 80
    > pin operations?
    >
    > For example, all the Seagate SCSI drives recently available are listed
    > as U320 level hardware, despite that the LW versions of the drives are
    > still 68 pin technology. Twisted pair SCSI cable support is available
    > for 68 pin technology. For compatibility purposes in the hardware mix
    > in my operation I still have the 68 pin configuration hardware.
    > Including new Seagate 15,000RPM drives. But I've taken a couple curious
    > errors over several months of use and am wondering if the really safest
    > thing to do is to move away from the U2WPro version of the Adaptec cards
    > to the higher grade controller cards just to try to improve long term
    > reliabiliy.
    >

    > Comments and information would be appreciated. Thanks!

    I have:

    4-26-05 14:47 169,548 0 AICU160.ADD

    But in Hardware Manager it shows up as Ver. 1.1 10/15/2001

    AFAIK no SCSI adapters have 80-pin connectors: the extra pins on the
    80-pin drives are for power.

    I have a mixture of U2W, U160 and U320 drives (including a tape drive)
    on my Adaptec U160 adapter, and all seem to be very happy.

    Perce

  4. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Hi Mike

    mike luther wrote:
    > Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec
    > SCSI support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM? Does anyone here have
    > comments about model differences and so on for Adaptec SCSI PCI cards
    > for this driver as to variations like we find in the U2 - U2W - U2Pro
    > scenario for the 160 level cards? Are these controllers 68 pin or 80
    > pin operations?
    >
    > For example, all the Seagate SCSI drives recently available are listed
    > as U320 level hardware, despite that the LW versions of the drives are
    > still 68 pin technology. Twisted pair SCSI cable support is available
    > for 68 pin technology. For compatibility purposes in the hardware mix
    > in my operation I still have the 68 pin configuration hardware.
    > Including new Seagate 15,000RPM drives. But I've taken a couple curious
    > errors over several months of use and am wondering if the really safest
    > thing to do is to move away from the U2WPro version of the Adaptec cards
    > to the higher grade controller cards just to try to improve long term
    > reliabiliy.
    >

    > Comments and information would be appreciated. Thanks!

    I'm using a 29160N with 1* u160 and 1* u320 68 pin drives and a scanner
    hooked to the external port. This setup has been in use for around 3
    years - No problems that I am aware of :-)

    The Introduction section of the u160 family PDF file does have this
    warning though:

    SCSI Card 29160N Single-channel PCI-to-Ultra160
    (Microsoft operating systems only)

    In fact I don't see OS/2 mentioned at all in the PDF file... surprised
    that Adaptec bothered producing OS/2 drivers :-)

    Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having a
    look with an editor shows this:-
    @#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)

    I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is the
    necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.

    There are drivers available for Adaptec and LSI (? I think) u320
    controllers if moving more upmarket but not having used either I can
    comment on how well they work - or not.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:50:33 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > The Introduction section of the u160 family PDF file does have this
    > warning though:
    >
    > SCSI Card 29160N Single-channel PCI-to-Ultra160
    > (Microsoft operating systems only)

    Mine's been working on OS/2 for about 4 years.

    > In fact I don't see OS/2 mentioned at all in the PDF file... surprised
    > that Adaptec bothered producing OS/2 drivers :-)

    ISTR that IBM did the U160 driver.

    > Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having a
    > look with an editor shows this:-
    > @#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)

    Same here.

    > I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is the
    > necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.

    No, it's not necessary. It was quite happy with the previous version, which
    I think was 2.56.

  6. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Thanks Tholen

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Mike Luther writes:
    >

    >> Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec SCSI
    >> support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM?
    >>

    > Mine is timestamped 2001 Oct 25 16:17:06.

    I've now found that one and have it here as well.... Interestingly, it
    has the same size as the 10-17-01 driver at 10:55 AM that I have from
    the 7800FAM.EXE package which I have here as well. Trying to think back
    about all this, I think that one of the 7800FAM.EXE packages came from
    IBM's sources, the later one came, perhaps from Adaptec, maybe the
    reverse? I know that there have been some information interface errors
    in the past between the IBM crew and Adaptec as to OS/2. Earlier on,
    IBM made some changes in the Adaptec code to fix some serious issues in
    what Adaptec first released that weren't quite correct in what they
    supplied to which the IBM vendor source web site pointers directed you
    to as to their SCSI drivers. After which, if my memory is correct,
    Adaptec did correct their code on the Adaptec site.

    Now .. which is which? Dunno... I notice that I'm not the only one
    with the 10-25 version, and the 10-17 version per other posts here seems
    to be working just fine.

    I'm posting other reply data later in the answers to me .. maybe it will
    help clarify whatever for me and others there?

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  7. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Thanks Percival!

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 11/19/06 06:33 am mike luther wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for
    >> Adaptec SCSI support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM? Does anyone
    >> here have comments about model differences and so on for Adaptec SCSI
    >> PCI cards for this driver as to variations like we find in the U2 -
    >> U2W - U2Pro scenario for the 160 level cards? Are these controllers
    >> 68 pin or 80 pin operations?
    >>
    >> For example, all the Seagate SCSI drives recently available are
    >> listed as U320 level hardware, despite that the LW versions of the
    >> drives are still 68 pin technology. Twisted pair SCSI cable support
    >> is available for 68 pin technology. For compatibility purposes in
    >> the hardware mix in my operation I still have the 68 pin
    >> configuration hardware. Including new Seagate 15,000RPM drives. But
    >> I've taken a couple curious errors over several months of use and am
    >> wondering if the really safest thing to do is to move away from the
    >> U2WPro version of the Adaptec cards to the higher grade controller
    >> cards just to try to improve long term reliabiliy.
    >>

    >> Comments and information would be appreciated. Thanks!

    > I have:
    >
    > 4-26-05 14:47 169,548 0 AICU160.ADD
    >
    > But in Hardware Manager it shows up as Ver. 1.1 10/15/2001
    >
    > AFAIK no SCSI adapters have 80-pin connectors: the extra pins on the
    > 80-pin drives are for power.
    >
    > I have a mixture of U2W, U160 and U320 drives (including a tape drive)
    > on my Adaptec U160 adapter, and all seem to be very happy.
    >
    > Perce

    This is exactly what I wanted to know, that the U2W, U160 and U320
    drives are functional on the Ataptec U160 adapter and live happily....

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  8. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Thanks Peter!

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Mike
    >
    > I'm using a 29160N with 1* u160 and 1* u320 68 pin drives and a
    > scanner hooked to the external port. This setup has been in use for
    > around 3 years - No problems that I am aware of :-)
    >
    > The Introduction section of the u160 family PDF file does have this
    > warning though:
    >
    > SCSI Card 29160N Single-channel PCI-to-Ultra160
    > (Microsoft operating systems only)
    >

    > In fact I don't see OS/2 mentioned at all in the PDF file... surprised
    > that Adaptec bothered producing OS/2 drivers :-)
    >

    > Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having
    > a look with an editor shows this:-
    > @#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)
    >
    > I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is
    > the necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.
    >
    > There are drivers available for Adaptec and LSI (? I think) u320
    > controllers if moving more upmarket but not having used either I can
    > comment on how well they work - or not.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    OK .. then as a generic move into the longer term future would suppose that I should invest in the 29160 card and target all of the boxes with the older U2W and U2W Pro stuff for upgrade with these controllers.

    One question! Are the 29160 cards hardware independant for the external channel like the U2W Pro cards? In other words, can you use them with or without the external SCSI cable plugged into the back separately so that if something goes wrong externally, you won't trash the internal drive operations? That was one of the selling points on the 3940UW cards which I have also here. And in the case of the U2W Pro series, as I understand it the external channel is also a hardware independant channel so that you can simply plug in the external operation before boot time and away you go automatically. Which isn't the way it goes with the non-pro versions.

    You might also read my answer to Paul below you for what all else I have found in the drive archive tank here... Thanks!

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  9. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Thanks Paul ..

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:50:33 GMT, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >

    >> The Introduction section of the u160 family PDF file does have this
    >> warning though:
    >>
    >> SCSI Card 29160N Single-channel PCI-to-Ultra160
    >> (Microsoft operating systems only)
    >>

    > Mine's been working on OS/2 for about 4 years.
    >

    >> In fact I don't see OS/2 mentioned at all in the PDF file... surprised
    >> that Adaptec bothered producing OS/2 drivers :-)
    >>

    > ISTR that IBM did the U160 driver.
    >

    >> Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having a
    >> look with an editor shows this:-
    >> @#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)
    >>

    > Same here.
    >

    >> I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is the
    >> necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.
    >>

    > No, it's not necessary. It was quite happy with the previous version, which
    > I think was 2.56.

    Thank you for posting that you have found the update for the card BIOS
    as not required. I'm not sure what will happen if I go to buy the 160
    cards as to what will be on them as to BIOS levels. We'll have to see.

    Now .. on beyond this, I discovered the following here in my archives!

    AICU320.ZIP 127713 Bytes 09-05-03

    It has in it 320 series drivers for Adaptec cards! The READOS2.HTM file
    in it clearly indicates that it is an Adaptec furnished OS/2 device
    driver package for these cards. It also clearly states that it is
    supposed to be for Warp Server for Ebiz only though and the file dates
    inside it are the same date as the ZIP archive above at 4:42 PM as
    well. I haven't investigated the technical aspects of the 'supported'
    Adaptec cards yet as I just picked my way through the documentation file
    with a text editor to see what this was.

    It is plain that this download was indeed from Adaptec directly and not
    produced by IBM. I'm now wondering if the caveat that it is only for
    WSEB is really applicable, or that it will work correctly on MCP2 FP4 or
    FP5 as well? In just a text peek at the file it is full of notices on
    what other device driver issues such as OS2DASD and all the other drive
    interfaces have for considerations for use with it.

    A lot of time has gone by since 2003. But with now over 80,000 server
    hours and box hours with downtime of only a few unplanned hours all
    around me, and what I am trying to update towards that will put me in
    yet another such absolute splendor of performance that OS/2 can give for
    the future, I'm trying to be very careful about what boards, CPU's
    memory, hard drives and so on I purchase. I stumble on into the future
    with OS/2 still properly interfaced to the hardware to get round two of
    this.

    Your thoughts and those of anyone else here are appreciated.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  10. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Paul Ratcliffe writes:

    > Peter Brown wrote:

    >> I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is the
    >> necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.

    > No, it's not necessary. It was quite happy with the previous version, which
    > I think was 2.56.

    My recollection is 2.57 and 2.55 before that.

  11. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 03:52:56 +0000, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > It is plain that this download was indeed from Adaptec directly and not
    > produced by IBM. I'm now wondering if the caveat that it is only for
    > WSEB is really applicable, or that it will work correctly on MCP2 FP4 or
    > FP5 as well?

    The latter I think.

  12. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Hi Paul

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:50:33 GMT, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The Introduction section of the u160 family PDF file does have this
    >> warning though:
    >>
    >> SCSI Card 29160N Single-channel PCI-to-Ultra160
    >> (Microsoft operating systems only)

    > Mine's been working on OS/2 for about 4 years.
    >
    >> In fact I don't see OS/2 mentioned at all in the PDF file... surprised
    >> that Adaptec bothered producing OS/2 drivers :-)

    > ISTR that IBM did the U160 driver.
    >
    >> Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having a
    >> look with an editor shows this:-
    >> @#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)

    > Same here.
    >
    >> I did update the 29160 BIOS to v3.10 a while back and think that is the
    >> necessary (and latest) BIOS level required.

    > No, it's not necessary. It was quite happy with the previous version, which
    > I think was 2.56.

    It is a while back but I recall updating the BIOS in order to get my
    scanner working properly with this controller. I think it was suffering
    from some sort of timing problem with the previous BIOS; scanning would
    fail partway through a scan fairly often and lock the system.

    Whatever the cause was went away with the update, no scanner problems
    from then on.

    Regards

    Pete

  13. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined and tholed:
    > Mike Luther writes:
    >
    > > Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for Adaptec SCSI
    > > support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM?

    > Mine is timestamped 2001 Oct 25 16:17:06.

    Like who gives a ****, Dickless?

  14. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    wrote in message
    news:1164541373.272633.149870@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined and tholed:
    > > Mike Luther writes:
    > >
    > > > Is there anything beyond the AICU160 support driver package for

    Adaptec SCSI
    > > > support for OS/2 dated 10-05-01 at 11:12AM?

    > > Mine is timestamped 2001 Oct 25 16:17:06.

    > Like who gives a ****, Dickless?

    Anyone who's taken on overdose of syrup of figs, brianless!

  15. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    nemo wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1164541373.272633.149870@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined and tholed:

    > Adaptec SCSI
    > > >
    > > > Mine is timestamped 2001 Oct 25 16:17:06.

    > > Like who gives a ****, Dickless?
    > >

    > Anyone who's taken on overdose of syrup of figs, brianless!

    That may be enough to give you the ****s, fishface, but someone as anal
    as Dickless requires more. A lot more.

  16. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
    news:1164593600.619462.205320@l39g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > nemo wrote:
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:1164541373.272633.149870@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > > > Dickless Davie tholen@antispam.ham whined and tholed:

    > > Adaptec SCSI

    > > > Like who gives a ****, Dickless?
    > > >

    > > Anyone who's taken on overdose of syrup of figs, brianless!

    > That may be enough to give you the ****s, fishface, but someone as anal
    > as Dickless requires more. A lot more.

    OK. If he's Italian, Sienna Pods as well, Fosdick!

  17. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    nemo wrote:
    > "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
    > news:1164593600.619462.205320@l39g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > > nemo wrote:
    > > > wrote in message
    > > > news:1164541373.272633.149870@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > Adaptec SCSI

    > > > Anyone who's taken on overdose of syrup of figs, brianless!

    > > That may be enough to give you the ****s, fishface, but someone as anal
    > > as Dickless requires more. A lot more.
    > >

    > OK. If he's Italian, Sienna Pods as well, Fosdick!

    No, I don't think he's a spic, 'lil Abner, but you never know.

  18. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    "nemo" wrote in message
    news:xtLah.15004$qd7.5528@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k...

    > "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
    > news:1164593600.619462.205320@l39g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > > nemo wrote:
    > > > wrote in message
    > > > news:1164541373.272633.149870@n67g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > Adaptec SCSI

    > > > Anyone who's taken on overdose of syrup of figs, brianless!

    > > That may be enough to give you the ****s, fishface, but someone as anal
    > > as Dickless requires more. A lot more.
    > >

    > OK. If he's Italian, Sienna Pods as well, Fosdick!

    Nice.

  19. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions

    "honestjohn" wrote in message

    > "nemo" wrote in message
    > news:xtLah.15004$qd7.5528@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > >
    > > "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
    > > news:1164593600.619462.205320@l39g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

    for

    > > > That may be enough to give you the ****s, fishface, but someone as

    anal
    > > > as Dickless requires more. A lot more.
    > > >

    > > OK. If he's Italian, Sienna Pods as well, Fosdick!
    > >

    > Nice.

    Appro poe the name-calling:

    A bloke is driving down a country road when he knocks a cyclist into a row
    of bushes. The cyclist shouts out, "Road hog!!" The drive shouts back,
    "Hedgehog!!"

  20. Re: Adaptec SCSI driver questions (bldlevel)

    Peter Brown said:

    >Hardware Manager reports the driver version as 1.1 15/10/2001 - having a
    >look with an editor shows this:-
    >@#OEM:10.3#@ Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)

    Instead of an editor I'd recommend to use the command:

    bldlevel

    Most newer device driver files do have this information included.

    Example:bldlevel D:\OS2\jfs.ifs

    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.100e#@ IBM OS2 JFS retail bld
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.100