Intel motherboards - OS2

This is a discussion on Intel motherboards - OS2 ; The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up. Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know ...

  1. Intel motherboards

    The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY
    controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with
    revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up.

    Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know if the quoted
    comment is code for "these Intel boards have a 99.999% probability of
    NOT working!"

    Am I worrying unnecessarily here? Is the accessibility of the SATA PHY
    controller registers really only for purists and hardware connoisseurs,
    whilst the boards will work just fine for everybody else?

    Best regards,

    Stefan W. Christensen

  2. Re: Intel motherboards

    Sir:

    S.W.Christensen wrote:
    > The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY
    > controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with
    > revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up.
    >
    > Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know if the quoted
    > comment is code for "these Intel boards have a 99.999% probability of
    > NOT working!"
    >
    > Am I worrying unnecessarily here? Is the accessibility of the SATA PHY
    > controller registers really only for purists and hardware connoisseurs,
    > whilst the boards will work just fine for everybody else?

    The purist in this case is the writer of the device driver. If she is
    unable to access these registers, then her driver will not work. Which
    means us Joe Average are out of luck. Bottom line: don't buy a main
    board that uses these chips.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Intel motherboards

    I doubt that there is anyone in the world that knows more about the Dani
    driver than the author who has been working with it for years. If she
    questions a chipset, forget it.

    Richard Freeman

    S.W.Christensen wrote:
    > The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY
    > controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with
    > revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up.
    >
    > Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know if the quoted
    > comment is code for "these Intel boards have a 99.999% probability of
    > NOT working!"
    >
    > Am I worrying unnecessarily here? Is the accessibility of the SATA PHY
    > controller registers really only for purists and hardware connoisseurs,
    > whilst the boards will work just fine for everybody else?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Stefan W. Christensen

  4. Re: Intel motherboards

    On 2006/10/26 13:12 (GMT-0700) S.W.Christensen apparently typed:

    > The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY
    > controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with
    > revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up.

    > Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know if the quoted
    > comment is code for "these Intel boards have a 99.999% probability of
    > NOT working!"

    > Am I worrying unnecessarily here? Is the accessibility of the SATA PHY
    > controller registers really only for purists and hardware connoisseurs,
    > whilst the boards will work just fine for everybody else?

    This eCS system has been using Dani's drivers since it was new about 19
    months ago, and is using 2 SATA disks on ICH6 with no apparent
    difficulty. Her S506 here is still at r175.
    --
    "Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."
    Matthew 5:12 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  5. Re: Intel motherboards

    On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:05:10 UTC, Felix Miata
    wrote:

    > On 2006/10/26 13:12 (GMT-0700) S.W.Christensen apparently typed:
    >
    > > The "ChipList.txt" from DANIS506r177 states that "the SATA PHY
    > > controller registers may be inaccessible", for Intel boards with
    > > revisions ICH6/7/8. Otherwise, these boards seem to get the thumbs up.

    > > Now, I'm not knowledgable in this area, so I don't know if the quoted
    > > comment is code for "these Intel boards have a 99.999% probability of
    > > NOT working!"

    > > Am I worrying unnecessarily here? Is the accessibility of the SATA PHY
    > > controller registers really only for purists and hardware connoisseurs,
    > > whilst the boards will work just fine for everybody else?

    > This eCS system has been using Dani's drivers since it was new about 19
    > months ago, and is using 2 SATA disks on ICH6 with no apparent
    > difficulty. Her S506 here is still at r175.

    I'm using two SATA disks (and two PATA devices) on ICH7 with no problems
    at all. First on a 1.76 beta, and now on 1.76.

+ Reply to Thread