Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible? - OS2

This is a discussion on Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible? - OS2 ; Hi all, having posted this in comp.sys.laptops without any taker for about a week, I am not retrying here. I guess it is a better place for it anyway, as the system is expected to continue to run OS/2 in ...

  1. Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    Hi all,

    having posted this in comp.sys.laptops without any taker for about a
    week, I am not retrying here. I guess it is a better place for it
    anyway, as the system is expected to continue to run OS/2 in its ECS 1.2
    incarnation, anyway.

    I ponder upgrading the 40 GB harddisk of my Thinkpad X21 to a larger
    one, either 120 GB or even 160 GB.

    120 GB should be fairly safe, since below one of these weird
    IDE limits (137GB) found in some BIOSes. However, I'd rather
    go 160 GB right away. Does anybody know what the X21 (or T21 for that
    matter) series can actually handle in terms of max disk size? Did anyone
    here actually perform such an upgrade already to 160 GB?

    The product literature is not helpful here, as 80 GB were the max.
    size when the machine came out.

    Thanks in advance for any pointer regarding this issue.

    Cheers, Stefan

  2. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > having posted this in comp.sys.laptops without any taker for about a
    > week, I am not retrying here. I guess it is a better place for it
    > anyway, as the system is expected to continue to run OS/2 in its ECS 1.2
    > incarnation, anyway.
    >
    > I ponder upgrading the 40 GB harddisk of my Thinkpad X21 to a larger
    > one, either 120 GB or even 160 GB.
    >
    > 120 GB should be fairly safe, since below one of these weird
    > IDE limits (137GB) found in some BIOSes. However, I'd rather
    > go 160 GB right away. Does anybody know what the X21 (or T21 for that
    > matter) series can actually handle in terms of max disk size? Did anyone
    > here actually perform such an upgrade already to 160 GB?
    >
    > The product literature is not helpful here, as 80 GB were the max.
    > size when the machine came out.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any pointer regarding this issue.
    >
    > Cheers, Stefan

    I think I would have a look at BIOS upgrades for the system and see if
    any of them mention new capability of using 120/160Gb (or bigger) disks.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:18:13 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:
    >Hi Stefan Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    [ sip ]

    >> I ponder upgrading the 40 GB harddisk of my Thinkpad X21 to a larger
    >> one, either 120 GB or even 160 GB.
    >>
    >> 120 GB should be fairly safe, since below one of these weird
    >> IDE limits (137GB) found in some BIOSes. However, I'd rather
    >> go 160 GB right away. Does anybody know what the X21 (or T21 for that
    >> matter) series can actually handle in terms of max disk size? Did anyone
    >> here actually perform such an upgrade already to 160 GB?

    Hi Pete,

    thanks for chiming in here!

    >I think I would have a look at BIOS upgrades for the system and see if
    >any of them mention new capability of using 120/160Gb (or bigger) disks.

    I checked that, but alas, the latest IBM issued BIOS for the machine is
    from 2003 or so and on my machine, and none of the BIOS documentations
    mention anythin about IDE sizes. Also, in 2003 nobody could buy such
    large laptop disk to begin with.

    So I guess it is down to reports from some brave soul along the lines of
    "I did it --- works / does not work"

    Thanks & Cheers, Stefan

    >Regards
    >
    >Pete

  4. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:40:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:

    > >I think I would have a look at BIOS upgrades for the system and see if
    > >any of them mention new capability of using 120/160Gb (or bigger) disks.

    > I checked that, but alas, the latest IBM issued BIOS for the machine is
    > from 2003 or so and on my machine, and none of the BIOS documentations
    > mention anythin about IDE sizes.

    If it supports 80GB then I would expect it to support up to 128GB without a
    problem since that's the next capacity breakpoint up from there. In order to
    support 160GB it would need to be capable of something called LBA48. I don't
    know if there's a way to detect this by running a utility (dumpide? diskinfo?)

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:21:30 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:40:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    >
    >> >I think I would have a look at BIOS upgrades for the system and see if
    >> >any of them mention new capability of using 120/160Gb (or bigger) disks.

    >> I checked that, but alas, the latest IBM issued BIOS for the machine is
    >> from 2003 or so and on my machine, and none of the BIOS documentations
    >> mention anythin about IDE sizes.

    > If it supports 80GB then I would expect it to support up to 128GB without a
    > problem since that's the next capacity breakpoint up from there. In order to
    > support 160GB it would need to be capable of something called LBA48. I don't
    > know if there's a way to detect this by running a utility (dumpide? diskinfo?)

    If it were formated and partitioned into something like 60-50-50 GB in
    another machine, and you loaded OS/2 on just the first partition, would
    it it not boot "OK" inspite of what the BIOS thought of the _whole_
    drive?

    That's the sort of Trick that the linux folks employ.

    HTH
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  6. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > having posted this in comp.sys.laptops without any taker for about a
    > week, I am not retrying here. I guess it is a better place for it
    > anyway, as the system is expected to continue to run OS/2 in its ECS 1.2
    > incarnation, anyway.

    > I ponder upgrading the 40 GB harddisk of my Thinkpad X21 to a larger
    > one, either 120 GB or even 160 GB.

    > 120 GB should be fairly safe, since below one of these weird
    > IDE limits (137GB) found in some BIOSes. However, I'd rather
    > go 160 GB right away. Does anybody know what the X21 (or T21 for that
    > matter) series can actually handle in terms of max disk size? Did anyone
    > here actually perform such an upgrade already to 160 GB?

    > The product literature is not helpful here, as 80 GB were the max.
    > size when the machine came out.

    > Thanks in advance for any pointer regarding this issue.

    Look into the respective readme file for the BIOS upgrade (System Program
    Service Diskette).

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  7. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 Oliver Rick wrote:

    > Look into the respective readme file for the BIOS upgrade (System Program
    > Service Diskette).

    Sorry, IBM only released 48-bit LBA support for the i830M chipset
    (X22/23/24, T23). The T21/X21 have i440BX/ZX chipsets.

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  8. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:30:20 +0200, Oliver Rick wrote:
    >On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 Oliver Rick wrote:
    >
    >> Look into the respective readme file for the BIOS upgrade (System Program
    >> Service Diskette).

    >Sorry, IBM only released 48-bit LBA support for the i830M chipset
    >(X22/23/24, T23). The T21/X21 have i440BX/ZX chipsets.

    Thanks a lot, that was the information needed! So I suppose I either
    - stick with 120 GB
    - reprogram the disk to report 120 GB and have Dani's excellent driver
    then unlock the full capacity (not sure how well this works when
    mixing w2k and FreeBSD partitions into the game)
    - go hunt an X2n with n>1 on ebay).

    Cool -- there are options, and no time was wasted poking around. BTW,
    where did you find the chip set info? I looked for that for a while but
    didn't come up with anything useful.

    Kind regards,
    Stefan

    > /Olli/
    >--
    >WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    >http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  9. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    wrote:
    >On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:40:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    >sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    >
    >> >I think I would have a look at BIOS upgrades for the system and see if
    >> >any of them mention new capability of using 120/160Gb (or bigger) disks.

    >If it supports 80GB then I would expect it to support up to 128GB
    >without a problem since that's the next capacity breakpoint up from
    >there. In order to support 160GB it would need to be capable of
    >something called LBA48. I don't know if there's a way to detect this by
    >running a utility (dumpide? diskinfo?)

    Thanks for your input, 120 GB should indeed be safe then.

    Cheers, Stefan, who just loves the signal to noise ratio in the os2 groups!

    >--
    >Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    >Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  10. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    >> Sorry, IBM only released 48-bit LBA support for the i830M chipset
    >> (X22/23/24, T23). The T21/X21 have i440BX/ZX chipsets.

    > Thanks a lot, that was the information needed! So I suppose I either
    > - stick with 120 GB
    > - reprogram the disk to report 120 GB and have Dani's excellent driver
    > then unlock the full capacity (not sure how well this works when
    > mixing w2k and FreeBSD partitions into the game)
    > - go hunt an X2n with n>1 on ebay).

    > Cool -- there are options, and no time was wasted poking around. BTW,
    > where did you find the chip set info? I looked for that for a while but
    > didn't come up with anything useful.

    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/

    tawbook.pdf contains the TP models mentioned.

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  11. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:45:52 +0200, Oliver Rick wrote:
    >On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>> Sorry, IBM only released 48-bit LBA support for the i830M chipset
    >>> (X22/23/24, T23). The T21/X21 have i440BX/ZX chipsets.

    [ snip ]

    >> BTW, where did you find the chip set info? I looked for that for a
    >> while but didn't come up with anything useful.

    >ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/
    >tawbook.pdf contains the TP models mentioned.

    Thank you!

    Cheers, S.

    > /Olli/

  12. Re: Upgrade of Tinkpad X21 / T21 to 160GB harddrive possible?

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:46:56 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher
    wrote:
    >On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:45:52 +0200, Oliver Rick
    >wrote:

    >[ snip ]
    >
    >>> BTW, where did you find the chip set info? I looked for that for a
    >>> while but didn't come up with anything useful.

    >>ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/
    >>tawbook.pdf contains the TP models mentioned.

    Just to follow up: I got a 120GB drive, popped it into the machine,
    copied for test purposes a disk image of my 40GB disk and it works just
    fine. I will have to set up a slightly more sophiticated install
    eventually, but it is good to know that the thing works as hoped.

    Cheers, Stefan

+ Reply to Thread