Light on USB MSD after "eject"? - OS2

This is a discussion on Light on USB MSD after "eject"? - OS2 ; All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of ...

  1. Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of
    OS/2 does not...

    Is it better with your version? If so, what bldlevels of USB drivers?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:39:50 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > Is it better with your version?

    No. Exactly the same. I usually decide whether
    to remove it or not by the way of blinking. But
    this maybe specific to the model of the stick.

    Funny enough, a card reader attached to the same
    computer *does* turn off the light after "eject".

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  3. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:39:50 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:
    >All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    >one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    >feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of OS/2
    >does not...

    Mine (eCS 1.2en) does the following with a Verbatim 2GB stick:

    Plugged in, the stick's LED flashes quickly for a while, until the USB
    monitor (usbmon.exe) reports the new device attached as drive k:.
    Then the LED goes dark. It flashes only, when the drive is accessed
    (read or write). The eject command itself does not cause any flashing
    or change of the light: it stays dark. If, however, there were still
    write operations pending on that drive, apparently eject causes the
    buffer to be flushed and the led blinks a few times before going dark
    again.

    This is with "@#IBM:10.145#@ OS/2 USB MSD Class Adapter Driver"

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    >Is it better with your version? If so, what bldlevels of USB drivers?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ilya

  4. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    Stefan A. Deutscher
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:39:50 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    > wrote:
    > >All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    > >one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    > >feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of OS/2
    > >does not...

    > Mine (eCS 1.2en) does the following with a Verbatim 2GB stick:
    >
    > Plugged in, the stick's LED flashes quickly for a while, until the USB
    > monitor (usbmon.exe) reports the new device attached as drive k:.
    > Then the LED goes dark. It flashes only, when the drive is accessed
    > (read or write).

    All the sticks I saw (and "real" external hard drives) are lighted
    constantly when plugged into my systems. However, USB on all
    computers here is v1 (if present ;-); maybe this is a factor too.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  5. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:14:01 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:
    >], who wrote in article
    >:
    >> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:39:50 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    >> wrote:
    >> >All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    >> >one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    >> >feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of
    >> >OS/2 does not...

    >> Mine (eCS 1.2en) does the following with a Verbatim 2GB stick:
    >>
    >> Plugged in, the stick's LED flashes quickly for a while, until the USB
    >> monitor (usbmon.exe) reports the new device attached as drive k:.
    >> Then the LED goes dark. It flashes only, when the drive is accessed
    >> (read or write).

    >All the sticks I saw (and "real" external hard drives) are lighted
    >constantly when plugged into my systems. However, USB on all
    >computers here is v1 (if present ;-); maybe this is a factor too.

    Hm. This machine is USB v1, too (Thinkpad X21).

    Cheers, Stefan

  6. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:26:04 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher
    wrote:
    >On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:14:01 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    > wrote:
    >>], who wrote in article
    >>:
    >>>
    >>> Mine (eCS 1.2en) does the following with a Verbatim 2GB stick:
    >>>
    >>> Plugged in, the stick's LED flashes quickly for a while, until the USB
    >>> monitor (usbmon.exe) reports the new device attached as drive k:.
    >>> Then the LED goes dark. It flashes only, when the drive is accessed
    >>> (read or write).

    >>All the sticks I saw (and "real" external hard drives) are lighted
    >>constantly when plugged into my systems. However, USB on all
    >>computers here is v1 (if present ;-); maybe this is a factor too.

    >Hm. This machine is USB v1, too (Thinkpad X21).

    Tried the same (USB v1) machine when booted into the w2k+sp4 partition:
    Exactly the same behaviour as on eCS 1.2en: Light flickers when stick is
    inserted, then goes dark. Flashes only when USB drive is accessed,
    otherwise stays dark. Ejecting the USB stick does not change the light,
    it stays dark during (and after completion of) the process.

    Verified the same on a T42 with wxp+sp2, with USB 2.0 ports: Same
    behaviour as eCS 1.2en. So .... mabe not "all other OSes" are equal :-)

    I still have BSD 5.1 and 6.0 to try, but I guess the above is 'nuff for
    now.

    Cheers, Stefan

  7. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    Ho Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    > one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    > feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of
    > OS/2 does not...
    >
    > Is it better with your version? If so, what bldlevels of USB drivers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    Using current USB basic and MSD (10.162) bldlevels.

    Hmmm... which "light"?

    I have several systems that have Internal USB Cardreaders - the type
    specifically Not supported by IBM USB drivers; in effect this means that
    the system does not even notice when a card is inserted and attached as
    a drive.

    These cardreaders have Power On and Access leds. I have noticed that the
    Access indicator will sometimes flash when Ejecting, probably flushing
    write buffers. Obviously the Power indicator stays on all the time the
    system is booted.

    A memory stick (external) behaves in the same manner; the (only) led
    will sometimes flash when Ejecting. May be worth noting that this light
    flashes on attaching and when being accessed but is off the rest of the
    time.

    Behaviour of both of these devices is the same in Win2K.

    After using Eject I check the Drives folder - if the Removable is now
    "missing" and the Access indicator on the Removable is not flashing it
    should be safe to eject.

    If working from the command line then a simple

    DIR [Removable Drive Letter]:

    should show whether the drive is still attached.

    I think it would be nice if there was an option somewhere in the drivers
    involved to popup a "Removable Drive X: has been ejected" message - just
    in case anyone is considering taking over USB development.

    Regards

    Pete

  8. Re: Light on USB MSD after "eject"?

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:24:40 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Ho Ilya
    >
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > All others OSes I tried switch off the light on USB MSD devices when
    > > one does a moral equivalent of "eject x:", so one has a visible
    > > feedback on when "it is safe to remove the device". My version of
    > > OS/2 does not...
    > >
    > > Is it better with your version? If so, what bldlevels of USB drivers?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ilya

    > Using current USB basic and MSD (10.162) bldlevels.
    >
    > Hmmm... which "light"?
    >
    > I have several systems that have Internal USB Cardreaders - the type
    > specifically Not supported by IBM USB drivers; in effect this means that
    > the system does not even notice when a card is inserted and attached as
    > a drive.
    >
    > These cardreaders have Power On and Access leds. I have noticed that the
    > Access indicator will sometimes flash when Ejecting, probably flushing
    > write buffers. Obviously the Power indicator stays on all the time the
    > system is booted.
    >
    > A memory stick (external) behaves in the same manner; the (only) led
    > will sometimes flash when Ejecting. May be worth noting that this light
    > flashes on attaching and when being accessed but is off the rest of the
    > time.
    >
    > Behaviour of both of these devices is the same in Win2K.
    >

    > After using Eject I check the Drives folder - if the Removable is now
    > "missing" and the Access indicator on the Removable is not flashing it
    > should be safe to eject.
    >
    > If working from the command line then a simple
    >
    > DIR [Removable Drive Letter]:
    >
    > should show whether the drive is still attached.
    >

    > I think it would be nice if there was an option somewhere in the drivers
    > involved to popup a "Removable Drive X: has been ejected" message - just
    > in case anyone is considering taking over USB development.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Hmmm. FWIW, I don't really pay attention to the LEDs. The one on my
    internal reader is on constantly whenever there is a card inserted,
    whether it's mounted or has been ejected. What I do pay attention to are
    the drive icons which appear and go away. I've found that after ejecting
    it's necessary to wait for the drive icon to disappear before removing
    the card, even though the xwp information at the bottom of the Drives
    window says (?) of (?) mb free, otherwise the FS may be still "dirty".

    Pete