USB memory key - OS2

This is a discussion on USB memory key - OS2 ; I've installed the latest USB Basic and Mass Storage drivers from Passport Advantage. It works in the sense that I'm able to access the files on a 2 GB Compact Flash card attached via USB. However, when I insert a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: USB memory key

  1. USB memory key

    I've installed the latest USB Basic and Mass Storage drivers from
    Passport Advantage. It works in the sense that I'm able to access
    the files on a 2 GB Compact Flash card attached via USB. However,
    when I insert a 512 MB USB memory key, the device attaches as
    expected, and LVM sees the correct capacity and notes that it's
    FAT, but an attempt to do a directory listing says that the
    requested sector can't be found. Works fine in a Windows machine.
    Any ideas where the problem lies?


  2. Re: USB memory key

    Hi

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > I've installed the latest USB Basic and Mass Storage drivers from
    > Passport Advantage. It works in the sense that I'm able to access
    > the files on a 2 GB Compact Flash card attached via USB. However,
    > when I insert a 512 MB USB memory key, the device attaches as
    > expected, and LVM sees the correct capacity and notes that it's
    > FAT, but an attempt to do a directory listing says that the
    > requested sector can't be found. Works fine in a Windows machine.
    > Any ideas where the problem lies?
    >



    Maybe you are not using the current/latest os2dasd.dmd driver? - I've
    read that it seems to resolve the above type of problem.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: USB memory key

    Peter Brown writes:

    >> I've installed the latest USB Basic and Mass Storage drivers from
    >> Passport Advantage. It works in the sense that I'm able to access
    >> the files on a 2 GB Compact Flash card attached via USB. However,
    >> when I insert a 512 MB USB memory key, the device attaches as
    >> expected, and LVM sees the correct capacity and notes that it's
    >> FAT, but an attempt to do a directory listing says that the
    >> requested sector can't be found. Works fine in a Windows machine.
    >> Any ideas where the problem lies?


    > Maybe you are not using the current/latest os2dasd.dmd driver? - I've
    > read that it seems to resolve the above type of problem.


    05-07-18 14.20 40.709 0 a--- OS2DASD.DMD

    Came from the "OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support" with modified date of
    2005-12-15 on the Download Driver finder web page, restricted to
    Passport Advantage customers. Latest available, to my knowledge.


  4. Re: USB memory key

    Hi

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Peter Brown writes:
    >
    >>> I've installed the latest USB Basic and Mass Storage drivers from
    >>> Passport Advantage. It works in the sense that I'm able to access
    >>> the files on a 2 GB Compact Flash card attached via USB. However,
    >>> when I insert a 512 MB USB memory key, the device attaches as
    >>> expected, and LVM sees the correct capacity and notes that it's
    >>> FAT, but an attempt to do a directory listing says that the
    >>> requested sector can't be found. Works fine in a Windows machine.
    >>> Any ideas where the problem lies?

    >
    >> Maybe you are not using the current/latest os2dasd.dmd driver? - I've
    >> read that it seems to resolve the above type of problem.

    >
    > 05-07-18 14.20 40.709 0 a--- OS2DASD.DMD
    >
    > Came from the "OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support" with modified date of
    > 2005-12-15 on the Download Driver finder web page, restricted to
    > Passport Advantage customers. Latest available, to my knowledge.
    >



    Sounds like the latest - buildlevel 14.104.

    There are some new parameters included in the current usbmsd.add; Wonder
    if any apply to this problem? - possibly the CHS parameter...

    Regards

    Pete



  5. Re: USB memory key

    Peter Brown writes:

    >> 05-07-18 14.20 40.709 0 a--- OS2DASD.DMD


    > Sounds like the latest - buildlevel 14.104.


    Yep, that's the build level.

    > There are some new parameters included in the current usbmsd.add; Wonder
    > if any apply to this problem? - possibly the CHS parameter...


    I'll investigate that. Can't do it right now because I didn't bring
    the memory key home with me from the office. But if I change the CHS
    such that it works for the memory key, will it then have trouble
    reading the CF card, which is currently readable?

    Would reformatted the memory key work?


  6. Re: USB memory key

    Hi tholen

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Peter Brown writes:
    >
    >>> 05-07-18 14.20 40.709 0 a--- OS2DASD.DMD

    >
    >> Sounds like the latest - buildlevel 14.104.

    >
    > Yep, that's the build level.
    >
    >> There are some new parameters included in the current usbmsd.add; Wonder
    >> if any apply to this problem? - possibly the CHS parameter...

    >
    > I'll investigate that. Can't do it right now because I didn't bring
    > the memory key home with me from the office. But if I change the CHS
    > such that it works for the memory key, will it then have trouble
    > reading the CF card, which is currently readable?



    Good question - and I have to answer that I do not know but suspect Yes.


    >
    > Would reformatted the memory key work?
    >



    I do not have 1 of these devices so cannot speak from experience but
    think I would try a reformat just to see what happens.

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: USB memory key

    Peter Brown writes:

    >>> There are some new parameters included in the current usbmsd.add; Wonder
    >>> if any apply to this problem? - possibly the CHS parameter...


    >> I'll investigate that. Can't do it right now because I didn't bring
    >> the memory key home with me from the office. But if I change the CHS
    >> such that it works for the memory key, will it then have trouble
    >> reading the CF card, which is currently readable?


    > Good question - and I have to answer that I do not know but suspect Yes.


    It's more innocuous than I thought. It's just a /CHS parameter. One
    is not actually changing any CHS values manually. I added /CHS and
    tried my CF card, and it's still readable. Memory key test to come
    later.


  8. Re: USB memory key

    I wrote:

    > Memory key test to come later.


    Now performed. No joy. Adding the /CHS parameter didn't help. Still
    can't find the sector requested.

    When the memory key is inserted, OS/2 recognizes the hardware and
    pops up a message saying that drive F: has been attached. But no
    drive F: appears in the drives folder, and no drive F: appears in
    LVM either, although the physical view does show a drive with the
    capacity of the memory key. With no drive F: in the drives folder,
    one can't eject the drive before removing the memory key, so I get
    the popup warning of possible data loss when the drive was removed.


  9. Re: USB memory key

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:40:48 GMT, tholen@antispam.ham
    wrote:
    >I wrote:
    >
    >> Memory key test to come later.

    >
    >Now performed. No joy. Adding the /CHS parameter didn't help. Still
    >can't find the sector requested.
    >
    >When the memory key is inserted, OS/2 recognizes the hardware and
    >pops up a message saying that drive F: has been attached. But no
    >drive F: appears in the drives folder, and no drive F: appears in
    >LVM either, although the physical view does show a drive with the
    >capacity of the memory key. With no drive F: in the drives folder,
    >one can't eject the drive before removing the memory key, so I get
    >the popup warning of possible data loss when the drive was removed.


    Hi Dave,

    this reminds me of something I saw recently with one of those U3
    enabled memory sticks. When plugged into a wxp machine, these things
    create one MSD drive and one drive that appears to be a CD-ROM drive
    (about 6 MB in size or so) holding all kinds of U3 stuff, thus consuming
    two drive letters.

    When plugged into OS/2, the stick appears with its full size but seems
    to have garbled sectors and is not easily accessible to the onboard tool
    set of os/2 or eCS.

    My eCS 1.2en system detected the stick but reported inaccessible
    sectors. LVM saw the stick but refused to do anything to it as it
    reported a corrupted partition table. Checkdisk aborted, too. I did not
    think of trying dfsee on it. It possibly might have done the trick, but
    I don't know.

    I finally had to resort to removing the u3 partition using a wxp
    machine, with a tool found on www.u3.com (or so). The device could then
    be made accessible and formatted and now works without any problem. I
    will post a separate report about this here shortly.


    Sorry I cannot send you an email about this, but I suppose the
    antispam.ham domain might not exactly exist ...


    Cheers,
    Stefan


+ Reply to Thread