WS4 & Dell - OS2

This is a discussion on WS4 & Dell - OS2 ; Hi, I would like to install Warp Server 4 on a Dell Optiplex SX280, config is: * 40Go SATA drive connected on controler #2 unit #0 (PCI:0 Intel 82801FB controller mod 2651 ICH6) * 1 bay which connect: - CDROM ...

  1. WS4 & Dell

    Hi,
    I would like to install Warp Server 4 on a Dell Optiplex SX280, config is:
    * 40Go SATA drive connected on controler #2 unit #0 (PCI:0 Intel 82801FB
    controller mod 2651 ICH6)
    * 1 bay which connect:
    - CDROM on controller #1 unit #0 (PCI:0 Intel 82801FB/FBM controller mod
    266F)
    or
    - Floppy but this case on controller mod 2658, means USB controller,
    port:0
    As HD is 40Go, I need to use a modified floppy (I use 'danis506.add'
    Daniela's driver 1.7.3 with /BAY as well as 'daniatapi.flt').
    everything looks OK (/W option) regarding HD and reservation for CD, but
    install stop as system can't load IBM1FLPY.
    I tried using cwusbd.add + cwusbuhc.sys + cwusbmsd.sys from Chris in order
    to get acces to floppy drive, but even loadings looks OK, no way: system
    still stop after floppy #2 with message 'OS2 is unable to use hard disk or
    floppy....)
    I tried also to use regular IBM 'usbd.add + usbuhcd.sys' driver (copied from
    an other system running WS4) but wasn't able to locate an equivalent for
    cwusbmsd...
    Any idea how to get this setup possible will be greatly appreciate.
    (sorry about my poor English langage, you know French people...)
    Jacques

  2. Re: WS4 & Dell

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:48:09 +0200, Jacques Milville wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to install Warp Server 4 on a Dell Optiplex SX280, config is:
    > * 40Go SATA drive connected on controler #2 unit #0 (PCI:0 Intel 82801FB
    > controller mod 2651 ICH6)
    > * 1 bay which connect:
    > - CDROM on controller #1 unit #0 (PCI:0 Intel 82801FB/FBM controller mod
    > 266F)
    > or
    > - Floppy but this case on controller mod 2658, means USB controller,
    > port:0
    > As HD is 40Go, I need to use a modified floppy (I use 'danis506.add'
    > Daniela's driver 1.7.3 with /BAY as well as 'daniatapi.flt').
    > everything looks OK (/W option) regarding HD and reservation for CD, but
    > install stop as system can't load IBM1FLPY.
    > I tried using cwusbd.add + cwusbuhc.sys + cwusbmsd.sys from Chris in order
    > to get acces to floppy drive, but even loadings looks OK, no way: system
    > still stop after floppy #2 with message 'OS2 is unable to use hard disk or
    > floppy....)
    > I tried also to use regular IBM 'usbd.add + usbuhcd.sys' driver (copied from
    > an other system running WS4) but wasn't able to locate an equivalent for
    > cwusbmsd...

    It might not be the floppy causing that error anymore, possibly a hard
    disk or controller read problem. Did you update OS2DASD.DMD with
    DASD16.DMD from IDEDASD.EXE (on DDPAK)?

    Even better idea, you might try using DANIDASD.

    Also, you're sure you have the correct USB drivers? I thought SX-280 was
    USB2.0, meaning you probably want the USBEHCI driver, not USBUHCI.

    (BTW IBM equivalent of CWUSBMSD is USBMSD.ADD.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  3. Re: WS4 & Dell

    Hi,
    yes I updated OS2DASD with DASD32 from idedas.exe (I understood DASD32 is
    for Warp server for e-business (what I'm looking to install))
    I just download DANIDASD from Hobbes to check, but it looks like LVM isn't
    supported with vs 1.4.4
    You are certainly right about USB2.0, Pb is just I don't know where to find
    all usb drivers, I believe it should be possible to extract them from CD but
    where ?
    Thanks for your help

    "Alex Taylor" a écrit dans le message de

    > It might not be the floppy causing that error anymore, possibly a hard
    > disk or controller read problem. Did you update OS2DASD.DMD with
    > DASD16.DMD from IDEDASD.EXE (on DDPAK)?
    >
    > Even better idea, you might try using DANIDASD.
    >

    > Also, you're sure you have the correct USB drivers? I thought SX-280 was
    > USB2.0, meaning you probably want the USBEHCI driver, not USBUHCI.
    >

    > (BTW IBM equivalent of CWUSBMSD is USBMSD.ADD.)
    >

    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex
    >
    > Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: WS4 & Dell

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:12:20 +0200, Jacques Milville wrote:
    > Hi,
    > yes I updated OS2DASD with DASD32 from idedas.exe (I understood DASD32 is
    > for Warp server for e-business (what I'm looking to install))
    > I just download DANIDASD from Hobbes to check, but it looks like LVM isn't
    > supported with vs 1.4.4

    Oh, sorry, I thought you were using Warp 4. Yes, using DASD32 to update
    OS2DASD.DMD is correct.

    > You are certainly right about USB2.0, Pb is just I don't know where to find
    > all usb drivers, I believe it should be possible to extract them from CD but
    > where ?

    USBEHCD.SYS - if it existed when WSEB came out then it should probably be
    in \OS2\BOOT already. If not, the latest USBBASIC.EXE package from the
    DDPak includes it.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  5. Re: WS4 & Dell

    Hi Alex,

    I did some progres and believe my problem is coming from USB: using Chris
    USB driver I'm quite able to complete first install step, bellow is my
    modified config.sys.
    ******************
    buffers=32
    iopl=yes
    memman=swap,delayswap
    protshell=sysinst1.exe
    SET SAVECONNECT=1
    SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1
    set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    diskcache=D2,LW
    protectonly=yes
    libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    ifs=jfs.ifs
    ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
    pauseonerror=yes
    codepage=850
    country=033,country.sys
    devinfo=kbd,fr189,keyboard.dcp
    devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
    device=\dos.sys
    rem device=\mouse.sys
    set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set keys=on
    rem basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    rem basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    BASEDEV=cwUSBD.SYS /V /I13
    BASEDEV=cwUSBUHCD.SYS /V
    rem BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=cwUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:1 /REMOVABLES:1
    DEVICE=a:\usbkbd.sys
    DEVICE=a:\usbmouse.sys
    basedev=ibm1s506.add /V /A:1 /U:0 /ATAPI /FORCE
    rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    basedev=os2dasd.dmd
    basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    device=\testcfg.sys
    basedev=ibmatapi.flt /V /A:1 /U:0 /TYPES:C
    basedev=xdfloppy.flt
    set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
    set saveconnect=1
    set cdrominst=1
    ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
    device=\os2cdrom.dmd
    device=\refpart.sys
    set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
    set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
    set exitwhendone=1
    **************************
    OS2DASD, IBM1S506, IBMATAPI and OS2CDROM are coming from IDEDASD.EXE
    CWUSBD, CWUSBHCD and CWUSBMSD are coming from Chris package
    USBKBD and USBMOUSE are coming from my other PC
    with this, system load (very slowly, could be related to USB1 vs USB2), I
    got 2 warning as Keyboard and mouse driver did'nt load but go up to the
    screen asking for CDROM. Means (for me) that OS2 right see hard drive and
    floppy.
    When I swap FD and CD readers system did'nt read CD and I can't use keyboard
    (Enter or F3) as USBKYBD didn't load.
    If I enable USBHID, I get a trap when I remove floppy drive.
    If I use regular USBD, USBHCD coming from other PC, system lock when loading
    USBD during floppy #2 step

    So I believe I have to find updated USBEHCI in order to fix USB Pb.
    unfortunately this is not part of my distribution, and it looks like I need
    a costly subcription to download it from IBM site (I throught cost of 2
    official licences OS2 Warp server was enough, but despite...)

    Any idea or comment about config.sys ?
    Thanks for your support

    wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > yes I updated OS2DASD with DASD32 from idedas.exe (I understood DASD32

    is
    > > for Warp server for e-business (what I'm looking to install))
    > > I just download DANIDASD from Hobbes to check, but it looks like LVM

    isn't
    > > supported with vs 1.4.4

    > Oh, sorry, I thought you were using Warp 4. Yes, using DASD32 to update
    > OS2DASD.DMD is correct.
    >

    > > You are certainly right about USB2.0, Pb is just I don't know where to

    find
    > > all usb drivers, I believe it should be possible to extract them from CD

    but
    > > where ?

    > USBEHCD.SYS - if it existed when WSEB came out then it should probably be
    > in \OS2\BOOT already. If not, the latest USBBASIC.EXE package from the
    > DDPak includes it.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex
    >
    > Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  6. Re: WS4 & Dell

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:32:34 +0200, Jacques Milville wrote:
    > I did some progres and believe my problem is coming from USB: using Chris
    > USB driver I'm quite able to complete first install step, bellow is my
    > modified config.sys.
    > **************************
    > BASEDEV=cwUSBD.SYS /V /I13
    > BASEDEV=cwUSBUHCD.SYS /V
    > rem BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=cwUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:1 /REMOVABLES:1
    > DEVICE=a:\usbkbd.sys
    > DEVICE=a:\usbmouse.sys
    > basedev=ibm1s506.add /V /A:1 /U:0 /ATAPI /FORCE
    > basedev=ibmatapi.flt /V /A:1 /U:0 /TYPES:C
    > **************************
    > with this, system load (very slowly, could be related to USB1 vs USB2), I
    > got 2 warning as Keyboard and mouse driver did'nt load but go up to the
    > screen asking for CDROM. Means (for me) that OS2 right see hard drive and
    > floppy.
    > When I swap FD and CD readers system did'nt read CD and I can't use keyboard
    > (Enter or F3) as USBKYBD didn't load.

    I'm confused, I thought your CD was an internal bay and your Floppy was
    external USB? How do you swap those?

    > If I enable USBHID, I get a trap when I remove floppy drive.
    > If I use regular USBD, USBHCD coming from other PC, system lock when loading
    > USBD during floppy #2 step

    If you're using a USB floppy you might want to take all those parameters
    off IBM1S506.ADD & IBMATAPI.FLT, since those are mostly for 'bay' devices.
    Possibly it's confusing the system. I don't really think that's the
    problem, but you might try it.

    > So I believe I have to find updated USBEHCI in order to fix USB Pb.
    > unfortunately this is not part of my distribution, and it looks like I need
    > a costly subcription to download it from IBM site (I throught cost of 2
    > official licences OS2 Warp server was enough, but despite...)

    One idea out of left field which I had... if you can scrounge a copy of
    Serenity's free eComStation demo CD (a bootable OS/2 system from CD) then
    you can at least test the functionality, since that should include EHCI
    support. If that works for you then you may at least have some idea of
    how to proceed. (AFAIK, the latest demo CD is currently only available in
    German; try asking the guys at Mensys for a copy.)

    I know it's not a very nice thing to hear, but if you want to continue
    using OS/2 in a non-static manner, then you really do need either a
    Passport Advantage OS/2 maintenance subscription, or an eComStation
    license, for access to updates and drivers. If you don't have either,
    OS/2's usefulness to you will likely stay pretty much frozen at a certain
    level.

    (Mind you, this is spoken with the smug confidence of someone who has
    both...)
    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex