Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question - OS2

This is a discussion on Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question - OS2 ; Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else (no response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a fellow OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved this problem. I ...

  1. Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question

    Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else (no
    response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a fellow
    OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved this problem.

    I have taken a chance and purchased on eBay (for a mere $25) a Compaq
    169017-001 DDS-4 8-tape autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) that, by
    the seller's admission, displays the message "loader becoming ready."

    I've looked at the online user's manual, and this message is not
    mentioned there. Is this the normal message when a magazine is not
    present (the seller had no magazine to try, and I have not yet received
    the ones I bought), or does this indicate a problem? Should there be
    some indication that the autoloader is now ready for a magazine to be
    inserted (and how long should it take to display)?

    Perce

  2. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question

    I know some chaps that service/repair Sony tape drives. During the work
    week I'll ask them about this unit and get back to you with what info I
    can extract from them.. Please remember, I am in Australia and that model
    may have never made it to our shores. That is the techs' may not have
    ever seen or heard of that model. But I can ask..

    > Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else (no
    > response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a fellow
    > OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved this

    problem.

    > I have taken a chance and purchased on eBay (for a mere $25) a Compaq
    > 169017-001 DDS-4 8-tape autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) that, by
    > the seller's admission, displays the message "loader becoming ready."
    >
    > I've looked at the online user's manual, and this message is not
    > mentioned there. Is this the normal message when a magazine is not
    > present (the seller had no magazine to try, and I have not yet received
    > the ones I bought), or does this indicate a problem? Should there be
    > some indication that the autoloader is now ready for a magazine to be
    > inserted (and how long should it take to display)?
    >
    > Perce

  3. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question

    Great. Thank you very much, Bruce.

    Perce

    On 04/02/05 06:51 pm Bruce D tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    > I know some chaps that service/repair Sony tape drives. During the work
    > week I'll ask them about this unit and get back to you with what info I
    > can extract from them.. Please remember, I am in Australia and that model
    > may have never made it to our shores. That is the techs' may not have
    > ever seen or heard of that model. But I can ask..
    >

    >>Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else (no
    >>response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a fellow
    >>OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved this

    > problem.
    >
    >>I have taken a chance and purchased on eBay (for a mere $25) a Compaq
    >>169017-001 DDS-4 8-tape autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) that, by
    >>the seller's admission, displays the message "loader becoming ready."

  4. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question -- Good news

    The drive arrived today, and when I opened up the case (it's an external
    model) I found that it had a magazine full of DDS4 tapes inside and the
    elevator (the mechanism that transfers tapes from the magazine to the
    drive) stuck in front of the magazine preventing it from being ejected.

    I managed to navigate the "Engrish" instructions for emergency ejection
    of tapes and magazines in the on-line Compaq manual, and now all seems
    to be hunky dory after an hour or so's fiddling.

    This was one of my most successful eBay purchases: I paid more for an
    empty magazine than I did for this autoloader + magazine + 8 tapes.

    Perce

    On 04/02/05 01:50 pm I wrote:

    > Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else (no
    > response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a fellow
    > OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved this problem.
    >
    > I have taken a chance and purchased on eBay (for a mere $25) a Compaq
    > 169017-001 DDS-4 8-tape autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) that, by
    > the seller's admission, displays the message "loader becoming ready."
    >
    > I've looked at the online user's manual, and this message is not
    > mentioned there. Is this the normal message when a magazine is not
    > present (the seller had no magazine to try, and I have not yet received
    > the ones I bought), or does this indicate a problem? Should there be
    > some indication that the autoloader is now ready for a magazine to be
    > inserted (and how long should it take to display)?

  5. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question -- Good news

    "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in

    > The drive arrived today, and when I opened up the case (it's an
    > external model) I found that it had a magazine full of DDS4 tapes
    > inside and the elevator (the mechanism that transfers tapes from the
    > magazine to the drive) stuck in front of the magazine preventing it
    > from being ejected.
    >
    > I managed to navigate the "Engrish" instructions for emergency
    > ejection of tapes and magazines in the on-line Compaq manual, and now
    > all seems to be hunky dory after an hour or so's fiddling.
    >
    > This was one of my most successful eBay purchases: I paid more for an
    > empty magazine than I did for this autoloader + magazine + 8 tapes.
    >
    > Perce
    >

    > On 04/02/05 01:50 pm I wrote:
    >
    >> Please pardon the "noise," but I can't find an answer anywhere else
    >> (no response from Sony after several days), and it's possible that a
    >> fellow OS/2 user has one of these machines and has seen and solved
    >> this problem.
    >>
    >> I have taken a chance and purchased on eBay (for a mere $25) a Compaq
    >> 169017-001 DDS-4 8-tape autoloader (relabeled Sony TSL-11000) that,
    >> by the seller's admission, displays the message "loader becoming
    >> ready."
    >>
    >> I've looked at the online user's manual, and this message is not
    >> mentioned there. Is this the normal message when a magazine is not
    >> present (the seller had no magazine to try, and I have not yet
    >> received the ones I bought), or does this indicate a problem? Should
    >> there be some indication that the autoloader is now ready for a
    >> magazine to be inserted (and how long should it take to display)?

    Good to hear that it's all working.. Today I got the Service Manual on CD
    for a TSL-11000. Lets know if you want it. Took a while to find someone
    that knew what I wanted and was willing to help..

  6. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question -- Good news

    On 04/18/05 06:01 am Bruce D tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    >>The drive arrived today, and when I opened up the case (it's an
    >>external model) I found that it had a magazine full of DDS4 tapes
    >>inside and the elevator (the mechanism that transfers tapes from the
    >>magazine to the drive) stuck in front of the magazine preventing it
    >>from being ejected.
    >>
    >>I managed to navigate the "Engrish" instructions for emergency
    >>ejection of tapes and magazines in the on-line Compaq manual, and now
    >>all seems to be hunky dory after an hour or so's fiddling.
    >>
    >>This was one of my most successful eBay purchases: I paid more for an
    >>empty magazine than I did for this autoloader + magazine + 8 tapes.

    > Good to hear that it's all working.. Today I got the Service Manual on CD
    > for a TSL-11000. Lets know if you want it. Took a while to find someone
    > that knew what I wanted and was willing to help..

    Thanks. Please check your email (I assume your address is valid. Mine
    isn't).

    Perce
    (Usenet alias)

  7. Re: Kinda OT: Compaq/Sony tape autoloader question

    Hi there

    Please feel very free to email me the service manual as well? Just use sonyservicemanual@burgundia.dk - it will accept any email, nomatter the size etc.

    Shanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread