HELP : loct my Win98 drive under PM - OS2

This is a discussion on HELP : loct my Win98 drive under PM - OS2 ; Hi folks, I have recently lost my Windows 98 FAT drive under OS/2 PM and even VIO. When I try to acces it it says : [D:\]chkdsk d: /f The current hard disk drive is: D: The type of file ...

  1. HELP : loct my Win98 drive under PM

    Hi folks,

    I have recently lost my Windows 98 FAT drive under OS/2 PM and even VIO.
    When I try to acces it it says :

    [D:\]chkdsk d: /f
    The current hard disk drive is: D:
    The type of file system for the disk is FAT.
    The volume label is APPLICATION.
    The Volume Serial Number is E2B8-2015.
    Processing cannot continue.
    SYS1377: The system is unable to write to the root directory on
    drive D.

    [D:\]dir

    The volume label in drive D is APPLICATION.
    The Volume Serial Number is E2B8:2015.
    Directory of D:\

    SYS0278: The system cannot find the extended attribute.

    When I use DirMaster I can access teh drive and see everything on it. I can
    also use the drive from Windws 98 boot. The drive is FAT formated and is
    accessed from OS/2 once in a while for retrieval and storage of files. I
    checked the EA files and even erased it from the FAT drive and still no help.
    My OS/2 is installed on F: and it is a HPFS drive, but I would still like to
    access my old FAT drive..

    Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this one??

    Thanks

    - Hubert

  2. Re: HELP : loct my Win98 drive under PM

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:20:55 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, "Hubert
    Piatkowski" wrote:

    > SYS1377: The system is unable to write to the root directory on
    > drive D.

    How many files and directories do you have in the root directory of the
    drive in question. FAT has a limitation of around 500 files that can be
    kept in the root.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com