ATA disk drive manufacturer - OS2

This is a discussion on ATA disk drive manufacturer - OS2 ; Hi all, what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester (160GB)? Regards Uwe...

  1. ATA disk drive manufacturer

    Hi all,

    what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester (160GB)?

    Regards
    Uwe

  2. Re: ATA disk drive manufacturer

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester
    > (160GB)?
    >
    > Regards
    > Uwe

    I bought three 160G HDDs from Seagate (7200RPM, 2M cache) during last
    year. They were PATA though.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  3. Re: ATA disk drive manufacturer

    Uwe Pilgram writes:

    > what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester (160GB)?

    I don't see why the interface should make a difference, be it PATA,
    SATA, or SCSI. I tend to look at the length of the warranty. Those
    offering only 90 days or 1 year are rejected. I visited a CompUSA
    store last night and noticed a variety of warranty lengths, even
    within the same brand. Some of the Hitachi (nee IBM) drives have
    three year warranties, while certain size Seagate drives were
    offering five year warranties. I also visited the Maxtor web site
    a few days ago and noticed five year warranties on some of their
    SCSI drives. Actually, I don't understand why the warranty is as
    short as five years on those models where they claim a mean time
    to failure of 1.4 million hours (that's over 150 years).

  4. Re: ATA disk drive manufacturer

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:35:27 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Uwe
    Pilgram wrote:

    > what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester (160GB)?

    I recently bought 5 x Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA drives that I have in a
    RAID5 array. Haven't had them long enough (3 months) to know their
    reliability yet. I do know that all 5 drives together make less noise
    and, I think, less heat than the single 250GB Maxtor SATA drive that
    they replaced.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: ATA disk drive manufacturer

    Many years ago, replacing a Seagate under warrantee took two months,
    whereas IBM and WD used 2nd day air charging your credit card until they
    received the faulty disk. Maxtor wouldn't replace a faulty disk without
    the invoice. I have fans in front of all hard drives in addition to two
    case fans and two power supply fans. Noisy, but fewer failures.

    Richard Freeman
    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:35:27 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Uwe
    >Pilgram wrote:
    >

    >>what is your favored manufacturer when you buy a new SATA winchester (160GB)?
    >>

    >I recently bought 5 x Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA drives that I have in a
    >RAID5 array. Haven't had them long enough (3 months) to know their
    >reliability yet. I do know that all 5 drives together make less noise
    >and, I think, less heat than the single 250GB Maxtor SATA drive that
    >they replaced.

+ Reply to Thread