ide round cables - OS2

This is a discussion on ide round cables - OS2 ; hey all... is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?...

  1. ide round cables

    hey all...

    is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

  2. Re: ide round cables

    they're very stable here (using the free zipzoomfly.com cables I got with
    a hdd bundle last year)

    regards,
    - dink

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 03:57:04 GMT, dilbert firestorm wrote:

    :hey all...
    :
    :is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

  3. Re: ide round cables

    In , on
    03/06/2005
    at 03:57 AM, dilbert firestorm
    said:

    >hey all...

    >is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    They don't have any edges! :^)

    --
    This message was sent to you by: Don(ald) O. Woodall
    Shooting electrons at you from Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

  4. Re: ide round cables

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:

    >is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    Yeah. They aren't SCSI cables. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: ide round cables

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:
    >

    >>is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    > Yeah. They aren't SCSI cables. :-)

    and what do you mean by that....?

  6. Re: ide round cables

    dinkmeister wrote:
    > they're very stable here (using the free zipzoomfly.com cables I got with
    > a hdd bundle last year)
    >
    > regards,
    > - dink
    >
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 03:57:04 GMT, dilbert firestorm wrote:
    >
    > :hey all...
    > :
    > :is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    well, that's good to know.

    there is this guy saying over at comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage in the
    ide/atapi cable thread saying that the round ide cable is barely spec or
    less than spec.

  7. Re: ide round cables

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    >> dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >>>is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    >> Yeah. They aren't SCSI cables. :-)

    >and what do you mean by that....?

    Even though I'd like to use round cables here, I can't use those nice
    round IDE cables on any of my SCSI systems. :-)

    From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems
    that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: ide round cables

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:
    >

    >>Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>

    >>>Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    >>>dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:

    >>>Yeah. They aren't SCSI cables. :-)

    >>and what do you mean by that....?

    > Even though I'd like to use round cables here, I can't use those nice
    > round IDE cables on any of my SCSI systems. :-)
    >
    > From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems
    > that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    > the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    did you try Cables To Go?

  9. Re: ide round cables

    In <7X/KCpHpvSpG092yn@visi.com>, on 03/07/2005
    at 01:34 AM, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) said:

    Hello Richard

    >From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems
    >that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    >the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    The "Cyberguys" have a couple in their catalog.

    www.cyberguys.com

    --
    This message was sent to you by: Don(ald) O. Woodall
    Shooting electrons at you from Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    My e-Mail/News Reader is: MR/2 ICE version 2.60b S/N 393
    The Operating System is: eComStation version 1.1
    This OS/2 system uptime is 2 days 06:05 hours :^( (en).
    dls woodall at SBC Global dot Net

  10. Re: ide round cables

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    > dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:
    >

    >>Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>

    >>>Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    >>>dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:

    >>>Yeah. They aren't SCSI cables. :-)

    >>and what do you mean by that....?

    > Even though I'd like to use round cables here, I can't use those nice
    > round IDE cables on any of my SCSI systems. :-)
    >
    > From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems
    > that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    > the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    cables to go
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product_li...?cat%5Fid=1211

  11. Re: ide round cables

    "Don[ald] O. Woodall@spamcop.gov" wrote:
    > In <7X/KCpHpvSpG092yn@visi.com>, on 03/07/2005
    > at 01:34 AM, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) said:
    >
    > Hello Richard
    >

    >>From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems

    >>that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    >>the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    > The "Cyberguys" have a couple in their catalog.
    >
    > www.cyberguys.com

    yabut, they're outta stock.....

  12. Re: ide round cables

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.storage,
    dilbert firestorm spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> From what I've heard, the round cables work just fine for those systems
    >> that can actually use them. Nobody seems to be making SCSI cables with
    >> the same form factor, though -- at least I've not found any yet.

    >did you try Cables To Go?

    No, and I've obviously not looked for a while because I'm seeing some
    now on tigerdirect.com as well. Good! :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  13. Re: ide round cables

    dilbert firestorm wrote:
    > hey all...
    >
    > is there any sort of knock against IDE round cables?

    [The following is all from memory or reasoning from first principles --
    so I certainly may have gotten something wrong.]

    The original IDE (which was designed as a cheap interface, where low
    cost was considered more important than planning for future
    improvements) used a 40-conductor cable, with [almost] every conductor
    used to transmit some signal. As the speed of the interface increased
    over time, crosstalk between adjacent conductors became a problem -- so
    the 80-conductor cable was introduced (as a cheap fix), adding a
    grounded conductor between each formerly-adjacent pair of conductors to
    shield them from each other. Since this shielding effect depends on the
    physical properties of a flat cable and isn't present in a round cable,
    I'd expect that round IDE cables are more susceptible to crosstalk
    problems (causing random data corruption or other wierd effects) than
    flat cables are.

    A better-engineered interface would use a twisted-pair of wires for each
    signal (as, for example, LVD SCSI does); this type of interface works
    well with either flat or round cables since each twisted-pair is
    individually resistant to noise problems.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread