UDF problems - OS2

This is a discussion on UDF problems - OS2 ; Hello all, I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the latest drivers from IBM I still get the following messages: format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk. ...

  1. UDF problems

    Hello all,

    I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the latest drivers from IBM I still get the following
    messages:

    format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN
    WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    100
    Format failed.
    Invalid parameter

    This is my setup:

    HW: YAMAHA CRW 3200E (ATAPI)

    SW: DANIATAPI.FLT --> 03.18
    DANIS506.ADD --> 16.10
    UDF.IFS --> 2004/12/14 12:12:22 132,389 bytes
    UUDF.DLL --> 2004/12/14 12:05:38 394,871 bytes
    OS2CDROM.DMD --> 10.150

    I tried all kinds of CDs (empty, erased by cdrecord, erased by RJS utilities). The erase obviously works, because it
    takes some time before the "Format failed" appears and a progress is shown. But thats it.

    I have no problems with RSJ and CDRecord to burn RW-CDs.

    Any ideas?

    Regards
    Uwe

  2. Re: UDF problems

    Hi Uwe

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the
    > latest drivers from IBM I still get the following messages:
    >
    > format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN

    What is the /ERASE:MIN parameter about? - I cannot see anything in the
    udf readme about this parameter...

    > WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    > Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    > 100
    > Format failed.
    > Invalid parameter

    ....and which probably causes this invalid parameter message and format
    failure.

    > This is my setup:
    >
    > HW: YAMAHA CRW 3200E (ATAPI)
    >
    > SW: DANIATAPI.FLT --> 03.18
    > DANIS506.ADD --> 16.10
    > UDF.IFS --> 2004/12/14 12:12:22 132,389 bytes
    > UUDF.DLL --> 2004/12/14 12:05:38 394,871 bytes
    > OS2CDROM.DMD --> 10.150
    >
    > I tried all kinds of CDs (empty, erased by cdrecord, erased by RJS
    > utilities). The erase obviously works, because it takes some time before
    > the "Format failed" appears and a progress is shown. But thats it.
    >
    > I have no problems with RSJ and CDRecord to burn RW-CDs.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    format U: /FS:UDF /L

    or

    format U: /FS:UDF /L /F

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: UDF problems

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the

    latest drivers from IBM I still get the following
    > messages:
    >
    > format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN
    > WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    > Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    > 100
    > Format failed.
    > Invalid parameter

    This command is absolutely correct and should work.

    Could you check what action doesn't work.
    1) Check erasing:
    format U: /FS:UDF /ERASE:MIN /NOFMT
    2) Check low level formatting:
    format U: /FS:UDF /L

    Inform please about results.

    > This is my setup:
    >
    > HW: YAMAHA CRW 3200E (ATAPI)

    This CD-Writer has not been officially tested (readme file contains
    devices that was officially tested). Do you have a chance to check
    format with the device from the list published in readme file?

    > SW: DANIATAPI.FLT --> 03.18
    > DANIS506.ADD --> 16.10
    > UDF.IFS --> 2004/12/14 12:12:22 132,389 bytes
    > UUDF.DLL --> 2004/12/14 12:05:38 394,871 bytes
    > OS2CDROM.DMD --> 10.150
    >
    > I tried all kinds of CDs (empty, erased by cdrecord, erased by RJS

    utilities). The erase obviously works, because it
    > takes some time before the "Format failed" appears and a progress is

    shown. But thats it.

    When erasing is working the message "nn percent of disk erased."
    appears.
    When you see "100 percent of disk erased." erasing completes
    successfully.

    > I have no problems with RSJ and CDRecord to burn RW-CDs.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    > Uwe

  4. Re: UDF problems

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the

    latest drivers from IBM I still get the following
    > messages:
    >
    > format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN
    > WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    > Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    > 100
    > Format failed.
    > Invalid parameter

    This command is absolutely correct and should work.

    Could you check what action doesn't work.
    1) Check erasing:
    format U: /FS:UDF /ERASE:MIN /NOFMT
    2) Check low level formatting:
    format U: /FS:UDF /L

    Inform please about results.

    > This is my setup:
    >
    > HW: YAMAHA CRW 3200E (ATAPI)

    This CD-Writer has not been officially tested (readme file contains
    devices that was officially tested). Do you have a chance to check
    format with the device from the list published in readme file?

    > SW: DANIATAPI.FLT --> 03.18
    > DANIS506.ADD --> 16.10
    > UDF.IFS --> 2004/12/14 12:12:22 132,389 bytes
    > UUDF.DLL --> 2004/12/14 12:05:38 394,871 bytes
    > OS2CDROM.DMD --> 10.150
    >
    > I tried all kinds of CDs (empty, erased by cdrecord, erased by RJS

    utilities). The erase obviously works, because it
    > takes some time before the "Format failed" appears and a progress is

    shown. But thats it.

    When erasing is working the message "nn percent of disk erased."
    appears.
    When you see "100 percent of disk erased." erasing completes
    successfully.

    > I have no problems with RSJ and CDRecord to burn RW-CDs.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    > Uwe

  5. Re: UDF problems

    I'm trying to make udf (2.15 with eCS 1.2) work. I can format cdrw and
    dvd-rw disks with pmformat, but when I try to write to the disks I get
    a "disk is write protected" message. The disl properties of the dvd
    says that all 4.7 GB are in use. What's the problem?

    Alkors wrote:
    > Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I could never manage to format and use a CD-RW with UDF. Using the

    > latest drivers from IBM I still get the following
    > > messages:
    > >
    > > format U: /FS:UDF /L /ERASE:MIN
    > > WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk.
    > > Continue (Yes or No)? Y
    > > 100
    > > Format failed.
    > > Invalid parameter
    > >

    > This command is absolutely correct and should work.
    >
    > Could you check what action doesn't work.
    > 1) Check erasing:
    > format U: /FS:UDF /ERASE:MIN /NOFMT
    > 2) Check low level formatting:
    > format U: /FS:UDF /L
    >
    > Inform please about results.
    >
    > > This is my setup:
    > >
    > > HW: YAMAHA CRW 3200E (ATAPI)
    > >

    > This CD-Writer has not been officially tested (readme file contains
    > devices that was officially tested). Do you have a chance to check
    > format with the device from the list published in readme file?
    >
    > > SW: DANIATAPI.FLT --> 03.18
    > > DANIS506.ADD --> 16.10
    > > UDF.IFS --> 2004/12/14 12:12:22 132,389 bytes
    > > UUDF.DLL --> 2004/12/14 12:05:38 394,871 bytes
    > > OS2CDROM.DMD --> 10.150
    > >
    > > I tried all kinds of CDs (empty, erased by cdrecord, erased by RJS

    > utilities). The erase obviously works, because it
    > > takes some time before the "Format failed" appears and a progress

    is
    > shown. But thats it.
    >
    > When erasing is working the message "nn percent of disk erased."
    > appears.
    > When you see "100 percent of disk erased." erasing completes
    > successfully.
    >

    > > I have no problems with RSJ and CDRecord to burn RW-CDs.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Uwe

  6. Re: UDF problems

    One new thing-- I took the DVD-RW I formatted with udf and was able to
    write to it in a Win XP computer. So the format is correct, but for
    some reason OS/2 recognizes it as write protected.

  7. Re: UDF problems

    Hi

    maxikins@os2bbs.com wrote:
    > I'm trying to make udf (2.15 with eCS 1.2) work. I can format cdrw and
    > dvd-rw disks with pmformat, but when I try to write to the disks I get
    > a "disk is write protected" message. The disl properties of the dvd
    > says that all 4.7 GB are in use. What's the problem?

    That error message reminds me of the sort of errors generated by some
    older builds of os2cdrom.dmd

    You could check your config.sys file for os2cdrom.dmd/ibmcdrom.dmd
    entries and also check the buildlevel of os2cdrom.dmd in the \os2\boot
    directory.

    You should be loading:-
    DEVICE=?:\OS2\BOOT\OS2CDROM.DMD

    where ?= Boot Drive (usually)

    This build (from udf215 I think) seems to work OK here:-

    [h:\os2\boot]bldlevel os2cdrom.dmd
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    Signature: @#IBM:10.150#@ Device Manager Driver for CDROM
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 10.150