adaptec 29160 and LVM error - OS2

This is a discussion on adaptec 29160 and LVM error - OS2 ; Problem: after creating partitions with LVM as follows: Boot Manager (7mb) Primary (bootable 2000mb) Logical (bootable 2000mb) Booting results in first: "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from the SCSI device. Then on ...

  1. adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Problem:
    after creating partitions with LVM as follows:

    Boot Manager (7mb)
    Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    Logical (bootable 2000mb)

    Booting results in first:

    "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    the SCSI device.

    Then on pressing Enter:

    I get a boot manager screen as below:

    WIN98 Disk 1 C:PRIMARY 2001M UNFORMATTED
    [ BOOT MANAGER ] Disk 1 PRIMARY 8M BootMgr

    All I did was low level format the drive, create partitions with LVM,
    reboot.

    Card is 29160N OEM with BIOS 3.10
    Drive FUJI MAP 73.5 G U320 68 pin

  2. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    David Maconochie wrote:

    > Card is 29160N OEM with BIOS 3.10
    > Drive FUJI MAP 73.5 G U320 68 pin

    After a lot more experimentation I have come to the tentative conclusion
    that at the point BM looks for bootable partitions the ones on logical
    drives are invisible. They are still there as seen by PTEDIT, PQMAGIC
    and LVM. But not when booting.

    I see no BM at all unless I have both DOS > 1Gb support and Host Adaptor
    BIOS enabled.

    Anyone else come across this, and more importantlt find a workaround?

  3. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Hi David

    David Maconochie wrote:
    > Problem:
    > after creating partitions with LVM as follows:
    >
    > Boot Manager (7mb)
    > Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    > Logical (bootable 2000mb)
    >
    > Booting results in first:
    >
    > "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    > the SCSI device.

    Silly question - Did you make the 2nd partition into a (compatibility)
    volume and add it to the BM Menu? I ask because the following suggests not.

    > Then on pressing Enter:
    >
    > I get a boot manager screen as below:
    >
    > WIN98 Disk 1 C:PRIMARY 2001M UNFORMATTED
    > [ BOOT MANAGER ] Disk 1 PRIMARY 8M BootMgr
    >
    > All I did was low level format the drive, create partitions with LVM,
    > reboot.
    >

    > Card is 29160N OEM with BIOS 3.10

    I'm using that card - same BIOS - with no problems.

    > Drive FUJI MAP 73.5 G U320 68 pin

    Don't use Fujitsu drives though. There should be some sort of drive test
    program somewhere on the Fujitsu website if you are not sure about the
    drive.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi David
    >
    > David Maconochie wrote:
    >
    >> Problem:
    >> after creating partitions with LVM as follows:
    >>
    >> Boot Manager (7mb)
    >> Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    >> Logical (bootable 2000mb)
    >>
    >> Booting results in first:
    >>
    >> "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    >> the SCSI device.

    > Silly question - Did you make the 2nd partition into a (compatibility)
    > volume and add it to the BM Menu? I ask because the following suggests not.
    >

    >> Then on pressing Enter:
    >>
    >> I get a boot manager screen as below:
    >>
    >> WIN98 Disk 1 C:PRIMARY 2001M UNFORMATTED
    >> [ BOOT MANAGER ] Disk 1 PRIMARY 8M BootMgr
    >>
    >> All I did was low level format the drive, create partitions with LVM,
    >> reboot.
    >>

    >> Card is 29160N OEM with BIOS 3.10

    > I'm using that card - same BIOS - with no problems.
    >
    >> Drive FUJI MAP 73.5 G U320 68 pin

    > Don't use Fujitsu drives though. There should be some sort of drive test
    > program somewhere on the Fujitsu website if you are not sure about the
    > drive.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Kind of you to reply. Yes I created a logical partition, yes I allocated
    all of that partition to single drive letter D:, and yes I created a
    bootable partition and added it to the Boot Manager menu.

    However see my next post.

  5. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:24:19 GMT, David Maconochie
    wrote:
    > Boot Manager (7mb)
    > Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    > Logical (bootable 2000mb)
    >
    > Booting results in first:
    >
    > "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    > the SCSI device.

    This is a Boot Manager error message. It generally means that Boot
    Manager is looking for a second physical disk drive and failing to find or
    read it.

    DO you have a second physical hard disk? If not, then Boot Manager is
    misconfigured somehow (probably there's an erroneous boot menu entry
    pointing to the wrong disk number).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  6. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    >>"Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    >>the SCSI device.

    > This is a Boot Manager error message. It generally means that Boot
    > Manager is looking for a second physical disk drive and failing to find or
    > read it.
    >
    > DO you have a second physical hard disk? If not, then Boot Manager is
    > misconfigured somehow (probably there's an erroneous boot menu entry
    > pointing to the wrong disk number).

    When I have the second disk plugged in then I get "Error reading disk 3"
    instead. I get the above error even if I start out with only one
    physical disk plugged in before I run LVM for the first time after a
    low level format.

  7. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:58:02 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, David
    Maconochie wrote:

    > Alex Taylor wrote:
    >
    > >>"Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    > >>the SCSI device.

    > > This is a Boot Manager error message. It generally means that Boot
    > > Manager is looking for a second physical disk drive and failing to find or
    > > read it.
    > >
    > > DO you have a second physical hard disk? If not, then Boot Manager is
    > > misconfigured somehow (probably there's an erroneous boot menu entry
    > > pointing to the wrong disk number).

    > When I have the second disk plugged in then I get "Error reading disk 3"
    > instead. I get the above error even if I start out with only one
    > physical disk plugged in before I run LVM for the first time after a
    > low level format.

    There is a problem with your BIOS somewhere. Boot Manager uses two INT
    13 calls - the first iterates through BIOS devices from 0x80 upwards for
    about 16 or 32 different devices requesting the BIOS to tell it which
    are hard disks. For the devices that are it then asks the BIOS if they
    are ready or not and issues that error message if they are not. Some
    BIOSes are broken and report a hard disk where the computer actually has
    a CD drive and this device reports 'not ready' to the second query.
    There used to be a bug in an AMI BIOS, possibly when it was used with an
    external SCSI card that used to do this. Look for a BIOS upgrade to fix
    this probem - could be motherboard or SCSI card, can't tell.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  8. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Hi,

    28 Dec 2004 12:46:13 -0600
    comp.os.os2.setup.storage
    -- Alex Taylor écrivait (wrote):
    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:24:19 GMT, David Maconochie
    > wrote:
    >> Boot Manager (7mb)
    >> Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    >> Logical (bootable 2000mb)
    >>
    >> Booting results in first:
    >>
    >> "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    >> the SCSI device.

    >This is a Boot Manager error message. It generally means that Boot
    >Manager is looking for a second physical disk drive and failing to find or
    >read it.

    ...right, recently i got this error because on my 3 disk system,
    some partitions which should be hidden became unhidden and so the drive
    letters of the partitions were scrambled and the boot manager at
    lost...

    HTH

    >DO you have a second physical hard disk? If not, then Boot Manager is
    >misconfigured somehow (probably there's an erroneous boot menu entry
    >pointing to the wrong disk number).

    --
    jj - Mardi 28 Décembre 2004 --- 22:01:17

  9. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    Trevor Hemsley wrote

    >>When I have the second disk plugged in then I get "Error reading disk 3"
    >>instead. I get the above error even if I start out with only one
    >>physical disk plugged in before I run LVM for the first time after a
    >>low level format.

    > There is a problem with your BIOS somewhere. Boot Manager uses two INT
    > 13 calls - the first iterates through BIOS devices from 0x80 upwards for
    > about 16 or 32 different devices requesting the BIOS to tell it which
    > are hard disks. For the devices that are it then asks the BIOS if they
    > are ready or not and issues that error message if they are not. Some
    > BIOSes are broken and report a hard disk where the computer actually has
    > a CD drive and this device reports 'not ready' to the second query.
    > There used to be a bug in an AMI BIOS, possibly when it was used with an
    > external SCSI card that used to do this. Look for a BIOS upgrade to fix
    > this probem - could be motherboard or SCSI card, can't tell.

    No doubt you are correct. Even more reason to junk the new adaptec card.
    I did not get this error reported before I started using the adaptec
    29160n. I had previously used both a 2940W and a Advansys 930. I have
    already installed the 3.10 BIOS for the 2940W (the newest I could find
    available). I am not sure about changing the MB BIOS, after all I did
    have a system that showed no errors until the new SCSI card.

    The upside of the 29160N is that I can run scanimage to a SCSI external
    8bit scanner while simultaneously hammering the SCSI HD with a backup /
    restore. Before, I could only get the scanner to work at all if it had
    its own personal SCSI card (hence the two cards).

  10. Re: adaptec 29160 and LVM error

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:58:02 UTC David Maconochie
    wrote:

    > Alex Taylor wrote:
    >
    > >>"Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    > >>the SCSI device.

    > > This is a Boot Manager error message. It generally means that Boot
    > > Manager is looking for a second physical disk drive and failing to find or
    > > read it.
    > >
    > > DO you have a second physical hard disk? If not, then Boot Manager is
    > > misconfigured somehow (probably there's an erroneous boot menu entry
    > > pointing to the wrong disk number).
    > >

    > When I have the second disk plugged in then I get "Error reading disk 3"
    > instead. I get the above error even if I start out with only one
    > physical disk plugged in before I run LVM for the first time after a
    > low level format.

    One possibility: do you have USB drivers installed? Specifically,
    USBMCD.ADD is the mass storage driver for USB and it really likes to
    insert that "ghost" drive for you. I'm working from memory here, but
    I think that putting the parameter /REMOVABLES: on the USBMSD.ADD
    line will kill the ghost if that is the problem where is the
    number of drive letters to reserve for removable devices. Try with 0
    and see what happens if you have that device in config.sys.

    It does no harm but it's a nuisance and distraction.

    --
    Will Honea

  11. A solution

    David Maconochie wrote:
    > Problem:
    > after creating partitions with LVM as follows:
    >
    > Boot Manager (7mb)
    > Primary (bootable 2000mb)
    > Logical (bootable 2000mb)
    >
    > Booting results in first:
    >
    > "Error reading disk 2" at the point when the system tries to boot from
    > the SCSI device.
    >
    > Then on pressing Enter:
    >
    > I get a boot manager screen as below:
    >
    > WIN98 Disk 1 C:PRIMARY 2001M UNFORMATTED
    > [ BOOT MANAGER ] Disk 1 PRIMARY 8M BootMgr
    >
    > All I did was low level format the drive, create partitions with LVM,
    > reboot.
    >

    > Card is 29160N OEM with BIOS 3.10
    > Drive FUJI MAP 73.5 G U320 68 pin

    Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me the hints that eventually
    had me figure out what was going wrong.

    The problem was in the way the MB BIOS dealt with the IDE CDROM. If I
    understand things correctly, when the computer is booting and Boot
    Manager is looking for things to boot from, the MB BIOS supplies info
    about available HDs. But unfortunately with this MB, it incorrectly
    reports the CDROM as an available HD.

    Now quite why that should make only logical drives disappear from the BM
    menu while retaining primary partitions I have no idea.

    The solution was to remove the CDROM either physically or to delete the
    entry from the MB BIOS leaving IDE 0 slave undetermined. Of course, it
    is still visible and usable from both Win98 and OS2.

+ Reply to Thread