HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions? - OS2

This is a discussion on HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions? - OS2 ; I did something really stupid and have completely lost my os2 applications and work partitions. Please let me know if this is recoverable. My last backup is very old. I'm away from the machine right now, so the info below ...

  1. HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions?

    I did something really stupid and have completely lost my os2
    applications and work partitions.
    Please let me know if this is recoverable. My last backup is very
    old.
    I'm away from the machine right now, so the info below is mostly from
    memory, but should be close.
    The system has been running fine for the last year.

    Here is my configuration:
    Warp 4 w/ FP 15
    Compaq Evo - about a year old
    I IDE drive - 30 GB or so
    I SCSI Fujitsu MO drive w/2940 controller

    These are the partitions:
    Boot Mgr
    C: 4 000MB NTFS Win2000
    C: 50MB FAT DOS 6.22
    D: 450MB FAT data
    E: 450MB FAT data
    F: unformatted
    G: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 main
    H: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 maintenance
    I: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 maintenance
    J: 4001MB HPFS
    K: 8002MB HPFS Main OS/2 applications
    L: 8002MB HPFS Main OS/2 Data
    600MB unformatted

    Here is what I did:
    - I use Word sometimes. If the last boot was to Win2000, then it
    cannot see the C drive and wont run. The way I usually fix this is to
    make the DOS C drive and then reboot.
    - This happnened, but when I ran FDISK, I made the DOS C drive
    "startable" by mistake. After this, I could only boot to the DOS C
    partition.
    - To recover, I booted from the Utility disks, ran FDISK and made the
    Boot Manager a "Startable" partition.
    - Then when I rebooted OS/2 (G drive), the J partition was corrupted
    (according to CHKDSK) and the K and L partitions were gone (according
    to FDISK). (I did not save any changes when running CHKDSK/FDISK)
    - The C thru H drives seem to be ok.
    - I rebooted several times, but nothing changed.

    I think this is what happened:
    The version of IDE drivers on the Utility Disks are the original ones
    which only support 8GB or so. The 8GB boundary is somewhere in the
    middle of the J drive, so it was corrupted, but not lost. The K and L
    drives are above the 8GB boundary and were completely lost.

    This is my idea to recover:
    - Run FDISK from the G drive and recreate the K and L partitions,
    making them the same size as they were originally. (I'm pretty sure I
    know what they were - I have a recent print out from FDISK.)
    - Reboot and run chkdsk /2 or /3.

    Questions:
    - Is there any chance of recovering?
    - If I use my idea above (FDISK & CHKDSK) should I use CHKDSK /2 or
    /3?
    - Is there a better way to recover?
    - Graham utilities?

    This happened at the end of the day Friady and I will need to attempt
    to recover on Monday morning.

    Any help greatly appreciated,
    John Basel
    remove 00 from address to reply

  2. Re: HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions?

    John Basel wrote:

    Go to www.dfsee.com, download DFSee, at least run unfdisk so you can see
    what is really still there. There's lots of stuff in the doc. about
    how to recover, and it sounds recoverable. Register DFSee. Jan is
    willing to help people get out of bad situations.

    Graham.

    --
    *-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

  3. Re: HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions?

    I forgot to include the driver versions. I think these are the
    important ones:
    On Utility Disks
    OS2DASD DMD 37272 11-05-96 11:53a
    IBM1S506 ADD 67760 11-04-96 3:09p

    On Main Warp 4 Drive (G
    9-23-00 12:16p 40910 0 OS2DASD.DMD
    2-14-03 10:02a 63464 0 DaniS506.ADD
    3-06-99 5:20p 10402 0 N512DASD.FLT
    (not really sure, these are from a system that I think is configured
    the same.)

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:05:58, jkb0083@comcast.net (John Basel) wrote:

    > I did something really stupid and have completely lost my os2
    > applications and work partitions.
    > Please let me know if this is recoverable. My last backup is very
    > old.
    > I'm away from the machine right now, so the info below is mostly from
    > memory, but should be close.
    > The system has been running fine for the last year.
    >
    > Here is my configuration:
    > Warp 4 w/ FP 15
    > Compaq Evo - about a year old
    > I IDE drive - 30 GB or so
    > I SCSI Fujitsu MO drive w/2940 controller
    >
    > These are the partitions:
    > Boot Mgr
    > C: 4 000MB NTFS Win2000
    > C: 50MB FAT DOS 6.22
    > D: 450MB FAT data
    > E: 450MB FAT data
    > F: unformatted
    > G: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 main
    > H: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 maintenance
    > I: 450MB HPFS Warp 4 maintenance
    > J: 4001MB HPFS
    > K: 8002MB HPFS Main OS/2 applications
    > L: 8002MB HPFS Main OS/2 Data
    > 600MB unformatted
    >
    > Here is what I did:
    > - I use Word sometimes. If the last boot was to Win2000, then it
    > cannot see the C drive and wont run. The way I usually fix this is to
    > make the DOS C drive and then reboot.
    > - This happnened, but when I ran FDISK, I made the DOS C drive
    > "startable" by mistake. After this, I could only boot to the DOS C
    > partition.
    > - To recover, I booted from the Utility disks, ran FDISK and made the
    > Boot Manager a "Startable" partition.
    > - Then when I rebooted OS/2 (G drive), the J partition was corrupted
    > (according to CHKDSK) and the K and L partitions were gone (according
    > to FDISK). (I did not save any changes when running CHKDSK/FDISK)
    > - The C thru H drives seem to be ok.
    > - I rebooted several times, but nothing changed.
    >
    > I think this is what happened:
    > The version of IDE drivers on the Utility Disks are the original ones
    > which only support 8GB or so. The 8GB boundary is somewhere in the
    > middle of the J drive, so it was corrupted, but not lost. The K and L
    > drives are above the 8GB boundary and were completely lost.
    >
    > This is my idea to recover:
    > - Run FDISK from the G drive and recreate the K and L partitions,
    > making them the same size as they were originally. (I'm pretty sure I
    > know what they were - I have a recent print out from FDISK.)
    > - Reboot and run chkdsk /2 or /3.
    >
    > Questions:
    > - Is there any chance of recovering?
    > - If I use my idea above (FDISK & CHKDSK) should I use CHKDSK /2 or
    > /3?
    > - Is there a better way to recover?
    > - Graham utilities?
    >
    > This happened at the end of the day Friady and I will need to attempt
    > to recover on Monday morning.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated,
    > John Basel
    > remove 00 from address to reply

  4. Re: HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions?

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:05:58 UTC, jkb0083@comcast.net (John Basel)
    wrote:

    > Questions:
    > - Is there any chance of recovering?

    Yes, very likely.

    Allthough one partition might be damaged in a few sectors.

    The 'missing' ones are probably completely OK, just
    not in the current partition tables ...

    > - If I use my idea above (FDISK & CHKDSK) should I use CHKDSK /2 or
    > /3?

    Chkdsk should only be needed on that one partition (at the 8Gb
    boundary).

    For the rest, do NOT recreate them using FDISK!
    FDISK will CLEAR the bootsector of the partitions it is creating to
    avoid any problems formatting them afterwards.

    However, in this case that would require additional recovery.

    Use DFSee to recreate, that will not touch the bootsectors!

    > - Is there a better way to recover?

    Use DFSee, it can make a complete analysis of what
    partitions/bootsectors
    are still there (DFSUNFD.CMD script).

    For registred users I will analyse the resulting files and create a
    recovery script
    that will recreate the partition, and make other fixes when needed.

    > - Graham utilities?

    Perhaps for repairing inside that partition, but Graham is not very
    powerfull in partition-table recovery ...

    Get DFSee from:

    http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee.htm#download

    Run the DFSUNFD.CMD script and send the resulting DFSUNFDI.* files (4
    for each disk)
    to DFSee support:

    support@dfsee.com

    (You could also use a bootable DOS diskette with DFSDOS.EXE,
    DFSUNFD.DFS and DFSUNFD.BAT)

    Regards, JvW

    Message sent VIA Followup and E-Mail --

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  5. Re: HELP - how do I recover 2 lost partitions?

    The recommendations to use DFSee were right on the money. I
    registered, ran DFSUND and sent the log data to Jan on Saturday. He
    sent me the recovery script on Sunday. Recovery was perfect
    Everything is now working the same as before. Down time was less than
    48hrs!

    DFSee and Jan are amazing.

    John Basel
    remove 00 from address to reply