eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive - OS2

This is a discussion on eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive - OS2 ; Hey all, I've got a bit of a problem here and I'm hoping that someone with a DVD recorder can help me. I just removed my IDE CD-RW drive and replaced it with an IDE DVD+RW drive (NuTech DDW-081). On ...

  1. eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Hey all,

    I've got a bit of a problem here and I'm hoping that someone with a DVD
    recorder can help me.

    I just removed my IDE CD-RW drive and replaced it with an IDE DVD+RW
    drive (NuTech DDW-081). On bootup, eCS hangs at the boot logo. If I
    use ALT-F2 to display the drivers as they load, it appears the one that
    hangs is DANIATAPI.FLT.

    By booting from a utility disk I rem'd out this driver and then eCS
    booted up but with no CD/DVD-ROM support. Even JJSCDROM.DMD said it
    could not be loaded.

    I upgraded to the latest DANIATAPI.FLT (1.3.5?) from hobbes but it does
    not help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer

  2. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Hi Don

    Could the hardware be faulty/damaged?

    Is there any firmware upgrade/update available from the manufacturer? If
    there is you may want to try applying it - read the instructions first
    though.

    Is the mainboard BIOS setup correctly? - ie is the ide controller
    enabled? Does the BIOS "see" the dvd when searching for drives at power on?

    What parameters are you using for danis506.add (presuming you are using
    that driver)?

    Which of the recent os2cdrom.dmd files are you using - build 10.127 is
    in the current udf 2.1.3 package.

    You may also need the os2dasd.dmd file from the recent idedasd.exe package.

    You could email Daniella with an problem/error report if all of the
    above fails.

    End of ideas, Hope something helps.

    Pete

    Don Eitner wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've got a bit of a problem here and I'm hoping that someone with a DVD
    > recorder can help me.
    >
    > I just removed my IDE CD-RW drive and replaced it with an IDE DVD+RW
    > drive (NuTech DDW-081). On bootup, eCS hangs at the boot logo. If I
    > use ALT-F2 to display the drivers as they load, it appears the one that
    > hangs is DANIATAPI.FLT.
    >
    > By booting from a utility disk I rem'd out this driver and then eCS
    > booted up but with no CD/DVD-ROM support. Even JJSCDROM.DMD said it
    > could not be loaded.
    >
    > I upgraded to the latest DANIATAPI.FLT (1.3.5?) from hobbes but it does
    > not help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Thank you for your reply.

    > Could the hardware be faulty/damaged?

    Negative. The new drive works fine in Win2K on the same PC.

    > Is there any firmware upgrade/update available from the manufacturer?
    > If there is you may want to try applying it - read the instructions
    > first though.

    I found and applied one just today. Will report back on whether it
    helped.

    > Is the mainboard BIOS setup correctly? - ie is the ide controller
    > enabled? Does the BIOS "see" the dvd when searching for drives at
    > power on?

    Yes, this all appears to be fine.

    > What parameters are you using for danis506.add (presuming you are
    > using that driver)?

    Oh, umm... specifying /80WIRE for adapter 0 (both my hard drives are on
    adapter 0) and using /V for verbose output. But the system hangs even
    before this -- it hangs while still displaying the boot logo.

    > Which of the recent os2cdrom.dmd files are you using - build 10.127
    > is in the current udf 2.1.3 package.

    I'm not using os2cdrom.dmd at all. I'm using jjscdrom.dmd. I will try
    with the IBM ones and report back.

    > You may also need the os2dasd.dmd file from the recent idedasd.exe
    > package.

    I think I have the 10.122 (?) version of this isstalled. I"ll check.

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer
    http://freiheit.syntheticdimension.net

  4. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 Don Eitner wrote:

    > I just removed my IDE CD-RW drive and replaced it with an IDE DVD+RW
    > drive (NuTech DDW-081). On bootup, eCS hangs at the boot logo. If I
    > use ALT-F2 to display the drivers as they load, it appears the one that
    > hangs is DANIATAPI.FLT.

    Add /V to DANI*.*
    Output?

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  5. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Okay, after unplugging the drive so I could get into eComStation and do
    some work on the drivers, here's my report.

    * I flash updated the DVD+RW drive's BIOS to the latest (January 20,
    2004) from the manufacturer's website. The drive still works fine in
    Win2K on the same system and uses no special drivers.
    * In eCS, I installed the 10.127 versions of the IBM IDE drivers
    (ibm1s506.add and os2cdrom.dmd, etc.).
    * In eCS, I replaced DaniAtapi.FLT in config.sys with IBMIDECD.FLT.
    * I plugged the DVD+RW drive back in and rebooted to eCS.

    The system still hangs while displaying the boot logo. The last driver
    shown by ALT-F2 is now IBMIDECD.FLT where before it was DaniAtapi.FLT.
    Clearly it's not an issue with Dani's driver since the IBM driver shows
    the same symptom. However, my previous drive (a CD-RW) cofigured in the
    same way (both are set to slave mode) caused no problems.

    As to UDF version, the system doesn't even get as far as loading the
    IFS's, it hangs while loading BASEDEVs.

    So if anyone has seen something like this and found a solution, I'd be
    grateful to hear your comments.

    Thank you,

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer
    http://freiheit.syntheticdimension.net

  6. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Don Eitner wrote in message news:...

    > The system still hangs while displaying the boot logo. The last driver
    > shown by ALT-F2 is now IBMIDECD.FLT where before it was DaniAtapi.FLT.
    > Clearly it's not an issue with Dani's driver since the IBM driver shows
    > the same symptom. However, my previous drive (a CD-RW) cofigured in the
    > same way (both are set to slave mode) caused no problems.

    I have a similar problem. The drive is the same type, but without the
    latest firmware refresh. I am using Wseb fixpak 3 (SMP system) and I
    had to replace daniatapi.flt with ibmatapi.flt in my config.sys to be
    able to boot up after adding the drive. So there is clearly an issue
    with this drive. Did you already contacted Daniella?

    Zs

  7. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Some hardware info. Zs

    0/m: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 30 APL.0900 653026680090

    ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 30
    Serial Number: 653026680090
    Firmware Revision: APL.0900
    Standards:
    Used: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
    Supported: 5 4 3 2 & some of 6
    Configuration:
    Logical max current
    cylinders 16383 16383
    heads 16 16
    sectors/track 63 63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
    LBA user addressable sectors: 58633344
    device size with Mi= 1024*1024: 28630 MiBytes
    device size with M = 1000*1000: 30020 MBytes (30 GB)
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    Buffer type: 0003: dual port, multi-sector with read caching ability
    Buffer size: 418.0kB bytes avail on r/w long: 4 Queue depth: 1
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Vendor, no device specific minimum
    R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 8 Current = 8
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
    Commands/features:
    Enabled Supported:
    * READ BUFFER cmd
    * WRITE BUFFER cmd
    * Host Protected Area feature set
    * Look-ahead
    * Write cache
    * Power Management feature set
    Security Mode feature set
    * SMART feature set
    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
    SET MAX security extension
    * DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
    Security:
    Master password revision code = 65534
    supported
    not enabled
    not locked
    not frozen
    not expired: security count
    not supported: enhanced erase
    34min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
    Checksum: correct

    0/s: NU DVDRW DDW-081 BX02 D8X_DRV 030807

    ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    Model Number: NU DVDRW DDW-081
    Serial Number: D8X_DRV 030807
    Firmware Revision: BX02
    Standards:
    Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
    Configuration:
    DRQ response: 50us.
    Packet size: 12 bytes
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
    HW reset results:
    CBLID- above Vih
    Device num = 1

    1/m: PCRW1208 P3.1 4VO1120DD00003

    ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    Model Number: PCRW1208
    Serial Number: 4VO1120DD00003
    Firmware Revision: P3.1
    Standards:
    Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
    Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
    Configuration:
    DRQ response: 50us.
    Packet size: 12 bytes
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
    DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns

    1/s: Maxtor 6Y060L0 YAR41VW0 Y2RFWMQE

    ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number: Maxtor 6Y060L0
    Serial Number: Y2RFWMQE
    Firmware Revision: YAR41VW0
    Standards:
    Supported: 7 6 5 4
    Likely used: 7
    Configuration:
    Logical max current
    cylinders 16383 16383
    heads 16 16
    sectors/track 63 63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
    LBA user addressable sectors: 120103200
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    Buffer type: 0003: dual port, multi-sector with read caching ability
    Buffer size: 2048.0kB Queue depth: 1
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
    R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
    Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
    Recommended acoustic management value: 192, current value: 254
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 udma6
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
    Commands/features:
    Enabled Supported:
    * NOP cmd
    * READ BUFFER cmd
    * WRITE BUFFER cmd
    * Host Protected Area feature set
    * Look-ahead
    * Write cache
    * Power Management feature set
    Security Mode feature set
    * SMART feature set
    * FLUSH CACHE EXT command
    * Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
    * Device Configuration Overlay feature set
    * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
    SET MAX security extension
    Advanced Power Management feature set
    * DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
    * SMART self-test
    * SMART error logging
    Security:
    Master password revision code = 65534
    supported
    not enabled
    not locked
    not frozen
    not expired: security count
    not supported: enhanced erase
    HW reset results:
    CBLID- above Vih
    Device num = 1 determined by the jumper
    Checksum: correct

  8. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    After some testing with different drivers, I found my problem is related
    to DaniS506.ADD. If I use DaniAtapi.FLT with IBM1S506.ADD, everything
    works (but slowly because IBM1S506 doesn't support UDMA mode for my IDE
    controller).

    Thank you for the advice.

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer
    http://freiheit.syntheticdimension.net

  9. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 Don Eitner wrote:

    > After some testing with different drivers, I found my problem is related
    > to DaniS506.ADD. If I use DaniAtapi.FLT with IBM1S506.ADD, everything
    > works (but slowly because IBM1S506 doesn't support UDMA mode for my IDE
    > controller).

    Have you "played" with the DaniS506.ADD switches? Any conspicuous output
    when adding the verbose switch (hit Alt+F4 during the "boot blob" to view
    the output).

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  10. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    No. When using DaniS506.ADD it never boots beyond the boot logo, so
    ALT-F4 does no good. The only switches I used were:

    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /V /A:0 /80WIRE

    Now I use:

    BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V

    and the system boots okay but in PIO mode, not UDMA. Certain things,
    like loading Mozilla, take a long time, but the system works.

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer
    http://freiheit.syntheticdimension.net

  11. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Don Eitner wrote in message news:...
    > After some testing with different drivers, I found my problem is related
    > to DaniS506.ADD. If I use DaniAtapi.FLT with IBM1S506.ADD, everything
    > works (but slowly because IBM1S506 doesn't support UDMA mode for my IDE
    > controller).

    You are right, I can confirm that. Falling back to ibm1s506 solves the
    problem. however, it is not a real solution for me, because I cannot
    use my IDe burner with cdrecord without dani1s506.

    I have already emailed Dani, I hope she will help us out. :-)

    Zs

  12. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Don Eitner wrote in message news:...
    > Now I use:
    > BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V
    > and the system boots okay but in PIO mode, not UDMA. Certain things,
    > like loading Mozilla, take a long time, but the system works.

    What about using /A:x /U:y /!BM on the DDW-081? It does not help for
    me, but it might help for you.

    Zs

  13. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't help.

    I did let the computer sit for a longer time and it eventually got past
    the boot logo and showed the output of DaniS506.ADD /V... /A:1 /U:1 /!BM
    was correct. Both IDE drives and the DVD-ROM were set to UDMA mode
    while the DDW-081 was set to PIO mode.

    But it hung again on OS2CDROM.DMD. After about 5 minutes I shut it down.

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer
    http://freiheit.syntheticdimension.net

  14. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Don Eitner wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't help.
    >
    > I did let the computer sit for a longer time and it eventually got past
    > the boot logo and showed the output of DaniS506.ADD /V... /A:1 /U:1 /!BM
    > was correct. Both IDE drives and the DVD-ROM were set to UDMA mode
    > while the DDW-081 was set to PIO mode.
    >
    > But it hung again on OS2CDROM.DMD. After about 5 minutes I shut it down.

    This sounds very like a problem I was having. Is OS2CDROM.DMD the last
    BASEDEV loaded? Because the hang is probably after that and before the
    DEVICEs are being loaded. I eventually cured the problem the hard(ware)
    way: I stuck in a Maxtor (Promise) UDMA 133 card and disabled the
    onboard IDE.

    Graham.

    --
    *-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

  15. Re: eCS 1.1 hangs on boot with IDE DVD+RW drive

    Graham wrote in

    > Don Eitner wrote:
    >> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't help.
    >>
    >> I did let the computer sit for a longer time and it eventually got
    >> past the boot logo and showed the output of DaniS506.ADD /V... /A:1
    >> /U:1 /!BM was correct. Both IDE drives and the DVD-ROM were set to
    >> UDMA mode while the DDW-081 was set to PIO mode.
    >>
    >> But it hung again on OS2CDROM.DMD. After about 5 minutes I shut it
    >> down.

    > This sounds very like a problem I was having. Is OS2CDROM.DMD the
    > last BASEDEV loaded? Because the hang is probably after that and
    > before the DEVICEs are being loaded. I eventually cured the problem
    > the hard(ware) way: I stuck in a Maxtor (Promise) UDMA 133 card and
    > disabled the onboard IDE.
    >
    > Graham.

    OS2CDROM.DMD is a DEVICE not a BASEDEV (I think). I've also had this
    problem when using the "enhanced" JJSCDROM.DMD in its place.

    The IBMIDECD.FLT or whatever has also been tried as the last BASEDEV and
    as one of the first, with the same results. I also tried without this
    BASEDEV, using DaniAtapi.FLT instead (which started this whole thread).

    But thanks for the suggestions.

    --
    Don "Freiheit" Eitner
    Hobby eComStation & OS/2 developer