install of warp ver 3 - OS2

This is a discussion on install of warp ver 3 - OS2 ; Hi guys + gals.. need help with something.. I am trying to install warp 3 on my second hard disk Here's the situation: 1st hard disk is 18gig ata/33 with win98, redhat linux 6.0, beos 2nd hard disk is 80 ...

  1. install of warp ver 3

    Hi guys + gals..

    need help with something..

    I am trying to install warp 3 on my second hard disk

    Here's the situation:

    1st hard disk is 18gig ata/33 with win98, redhat linux 6.0, beos
    2nd hard disk is 80 gig ata/100 with red hat 7.1, winxp pro, qnx, and
    unallocated space (part of the last remaining sections of the hard disk
    [approx 13 gigs])

    what I'd like to do is setup os2 warp ver 3 in the unallocated space, but
    having a hard time as to what type of installation disk configuration I
    need. I've gotten the IDEDASD package downloaded from
    http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/ and I managed to get to the screen
    that chooses between the easy installation or the advanced installation.
    When I select the advanced installation, I get various errors, with the last
    error related to the fdisk program..

    Is there anything further am I missing here? Is there a place where I can
    get the updated install disks?

    Hope you can help me out. I should get the exact error message later on..

    George

  2. Re: install of warp ver 3

    George Ferreira wrote:
    > Hi guys + gals..
    >
    > need help with something..
    >
    > I am trying to install warp 3 on my second hard disk
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    >
    > 1st hard disk is 18gig ata/33 with win98, redhat linux 6.0, beos
    > 2nd hard disk is 80 gig ata/100 with red hat 7.1, winxp pro, qnx, and
    > unallocated space (part of the last remaining sections of the hard disk
    > [approx 13 gigs])

    So you want to install W3 beyond 67 GB, right?

    The following assumes (I've never tried) that the Warp 3 kernel &
    -loader support booting from far beyond 8 GB.

    If you try to install plain (="unfixpacked") Warp 3 beyond the first 2
    GB, you'll need GT2GBW3.ZIP package (Hobbes) to fix the boot sector
    installer, otherwise you cannot even reboot during the installation phase.
    But you didn't get that far yet.

    If you want to install W3 on a primary partition, perhaps you'll succeed
    if you use at least the DANIS506.ADD and DANIDASD.DMD stuff (from
    Hobbes), perhaps also DANIATAPI.FLT. Delete IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD &
    all SCSI drivers (most of the *.ADD stuff), also from the snoop list, to
    make space on the boot floppies, and adapt CONFIG.SYS. If you use
    DANIATAPI, also remove IBMDECD.FLT and IBMATAPI.FLT. Be sure that all
    the DANI drivers are copied to the hard disk too, and that the installed
    CONFIG.SYS on the hard disk loads them (delete references to
    IBM1S506.ADD and OS2DASD.DMD) ==> always check this, starting before the
    first reboot during installation.
    Hopefully Warp 3 can be booted by your current boot manager then.

    In case of a logical partition, more is needed:
    - An OS/2 boot manager, always on a primary partition slot. It may need
    to be on the 1st disk (correct me if I'm wrong please), anyway it can be
    booted by you current boot manager;
    - fixed FDISK / IDEDASD / OS2DASD stuff from IBM, in the EXPARTW4.EXE
    package ("Extended Partition support for Warp 4"). Better use the
    DANI506 / DANIDASD stuff, but even then you'll need the fixed FDISK from
    the EXPARTW4 package (actually it is the boot manager which must be
    fixed through using FDISK, to be able to boot from above 8 GB).

    Please let us know if it works; I have vague plans to do similar things.

    Philip

    > what I'd like to do is setup os2 warp ver 3 in the unallocated space, but
    > having a hard time as to what type of installation disk configuration I
    > need. I've gotten the IDEDASD package downloaded from
    > http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/ and I managed to get to the screen
    > that chooses between the easy installation or the advanced installation.
    > When I select the advanced installation, I get various errors, with the last
    > error related to the fdisk program..
    >
    > Is there anything further am I missing here? Is there a place where I can
    > get the updated install disks?
    >
    > Hope you can help me out. I should get the exact error message later on..
    >
    > George

  3. Re: install of warp ver 3

    Philip Nienhuis wrote:
    > George Ferreira wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys + gals..
    >>
    >> need help with something..
    >>
    >> I am trying to install warp 3 on my second hard disk
    >>
    >> Here's the situation:
    >>
    >> 1st hard disk is 18gig ata/33 with win98, redhat linux 6.0, beos
    >> 2nd hard disk is 80 gig ata/100 with red hat 7.1, winxp pro, qnx, and
    >> unallocated space (part of the last remaining sections of the hard disk
    >> [approx 13 gigs])

    :
    [snip]
    :
    > In case of a logical partition, more is needed:
    > - An OS/2 boot manager, always on a primary partition slot. It may need
    > to be on the 1st disk (correct me if I'm wrong please), anyway it can be
    > booted by you current boot manager;
    > - fixed FDISK / IDEDASD / OS2DASD stuff from IBM, in the EXPARTW4.EXE
    > package ("Extended Partition support for Warp 4"). Better use the
    > DANI506 / DANIDASD stuff, but even then you'll need the fixed FDISK from
    > the EXPARTW4 package (actually it is the boot manager which must be
    > fixed through using FDISK, to be able to boot from above 8 GB).

    Just found other messages earlier in c.o.o.s.misc ("SuSe under Boot
    Manager part II") which indicate that:

    - the EXPARTW4.EXE stuff which I suggested is broken w.r.t. booting
    logical partitions on 2nd and higher hard disks;

    - the regular boot manager installed by FDISK may be able to boot from
    beyond 8 GB anyway, depending on your BIOS INT13 support. BUT if the
    OS/2 boot manager is booted by another boot manager, it's INT13
    support/usage may be lost.

    If all this is true, your only option may be to install W3 on a primary
    partition on disk #2, if you got a primary slot left there. (You may try
    to) boot it right away using whatever boot manager you now use.
    You can make this partition using Linux fdisk, assigning it a type hpfs
    ("07") -- I did more or less the same on one of my boxes here.

    If FDISK can't make the partition "installable" things get more complex.
    In that case, according to
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...3H/vnewsft.htm
    try to find out what drive letter OS/2 FDISK assigns to it, add "SET
    INSTALLDRIVE= to the CONFIG.SYS file on the floppies, and
    cross your fingers.
    If FDISK doesn't even show a drive letter, you are out of luck. You will
    then have to make room for W3 at the beginning of one of your disks. W3
    itself needs a bare minimum of just 250 MB or so, depending on apps.

    I'm sorry for the confusion. Just give it a try with the other info I
    gave you,

    Philip

  4. Re: install of warp ver 3

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:21:49 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    wrote:

    > - the regular boot manager installed by FDISK may be able to boot from
    > beyond 8 GB anyway, depending on your BIOS INT13 support.

    Not on Warp 3, with any fixpack up to and including 40.

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html

+ Reply to Thread