    Subject: Re: IDE CD/DVD Burner setup?
    Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:11:33 +0100
    From: Heiko
    Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.setup.storage

    You probably mean DaniATAPI and not DaniS506.
    DaniATAPI will emulate additional virtual SCSI
    Bus for IDE drives. As far as I know you are
    not required to use DaniS506. You can also
    use IBM1S506. DaniATAPI will only replace
    IBMATAPI then and that's enough for the
    SCSI emulation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    I really liked the sound of this, if Daniela's driver will
    turn the IDE bus into a pretend SCSI bus, that should do the
    trick for me.

    You see, the problem I was having was the system would boot
    and then just hang on the blue Warp bootup screen whenever I
    put the IDE drive into play. The system has always had an
    ATAPI CD drive that works without a hitch. That was when I
    remembered that Alan's discovery was that Warp4 (before the
    convenience packs, like fixpack15) insisted on booting to
    the IDE drive if it had one in the system. My client
    *definitely* does not want that, what's the sense of having
    a SCSI system if you don't use it for performance?

    I also saw this post!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

    Subject: LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!
    Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:33:11 GMT
    From: racqueteer2@killspamhvc.rr.com
    Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.setup.storage

    First, a little background information.. Two drives
    originally set up:

    SCSI drive 0 is WinXP
    SCSI drive 1 is OS/2
    Boot manager set up to let me boot either system.

    I added an IDE drive for storage, but I boot SCSI first, so
    no problem. To this point; system has been working fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

    Now, this really encouraged me. This is exactly what I want
    to accomplish. I want to boot to the SCSI drive and then
    have an IDE drive for lots of slow capacity for cheap.
    Actually, I'd also like to have a MobileRack mounted IDE
    drive for backups as well.

    Could someone please give me some pointers that I'm missing?

    Doug
    --
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
    Doug Hood - PMA Consulting, Portland, Oregon

  2. Re: Boot SCSI w/IDE on Warp4.52

    Sir:

    Doug Hood wrote:
    > Hi Folks!
    >
    > I just scanned through a couple of months worth of messages
    > on this newsgroup because I'm seeking a solution to a
    > problem booting a Warp4.52 system to the 36GB IBM SCSI drive
    > when I add a 80GB WD IDE drive or two. I recall a couple of
    > years ago Alan finally gave up trying to make IDE drives
    > work in his SCSI systems and just kept finding cheap SCSI
    > drives to add to the chains, but it seems like the rules
    > should be different now that we have Convenience Packs one
    > and two to add to the mix.
    >
    > I made a couple of important discoveries in my reading here:
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    > Subject: Re: IDE CD/DVD Burner setup?
    > Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:11:33 +0100
    > From: Heiko
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.setup.storage
    >
    > You probably mean DaniATAPI and not DaniS506.
    > DaniATAPI will emulate additional virtual SCSI
    > Bus for IDE drives. As far as I know you are
    > not required to use DaniS506. You can also
    > use IBM1S506. DaniATAPI will only replace
    > IBMATAPI then and that's enough for the
    > SCSI emulation.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    > I really liked the sound of this, if Daniela's driver will
    > turn the IDE bus into a pretend SCSI bus, that should do the
    > trick for me.
    >
    > You see, the problem I was having was the system would boot
    > and then just hang on the blue Warp bootup screen whenever I
    > put the IDE drive into play. The system has always had an
    > ATAPI CD drive that works without a hitch. That was when I
    > remembered that Alan's discovery was that Warp4 (before the
    > convenience packs, like fixpack15) insisted on booting to
    > the IDE drive if it had one in the system. My client
    > *definitely* does not want that, what's the sense of having
    > a SCSI system if you don't use it for performance?
    >
    > I also saw this post!
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > Subject: LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!
    > Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:33:11 GMT
    > From: racqueteer2@killspamhvc.rr.com
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.setup.storage
    >
    > First, a little background information.. Two drives
    > originally set up:
    >
    > SCSI drive 0 is WinXP
    > SCSI drive 1 is OS/2
    > Boot manager set up to let me boot either system.
    >
    > I added an IDE drive for storage, but I boot SCSI first, so
    > no problem. To this point; system has been working fine.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > Now, this really encouraged me. This is exactly what I want
    > to accomplish. I want to boot to the SCSI drive and then
    > have an IDE drive for lots of slow capacity for cheap.
    > Actually, I'd also like to have a MobileRack mounted IDE
    > drive for backups as well.
    >
    > Could someone please give me some pointers that I'm missing?

    The order of drivers in config.sys determine which hard drive is on
    first. If the SCSI card driver is before the IDE drivers, then you can
    boot from the SCSI chain. This was and still is true without regard for
    the ability of the IDE atapi filter driver to emulate a SCSI chain.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Boot SCSI w/IDE on Warp4.52

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:22:54 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Doug
    Hood wrote:

    > I really liked the sound of this, if Daniela's driver will
    > turn the IDE bus into a pretend SCSI bus, that should do the
    > trick for me.

    I believe that it only does this for ATAPI devices not for hard disks.
    What you need is the correct order for your basedev lines in
    config.sys, put the SCSI driver first and the IDE one after. Oh, and
    when you partition the new drive, don't put a primary partition on it
    if you have logical drives on the SCSI disk since all the drive
    letters will shift up by one. Make all partitions on the IDE drive
    logical ones too.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley@dial.pipex.com

  4. Re: Boot SCSI w/IDE on Warp4.52

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:27:08 UTC "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > The order of drivers in config.sys determine which hard drive is on
    > first. If the SCSI card driver is before the IDE drivers, then you can
    > boot from the SCSI chain. This was and still is true without regard for
    > the ability of the IDE atapi filter driver to emulate a SCSI chain.

    While this is perfectly correct once the system is installed, actually
    getting through the install can be a nightmare with certain mixes of
    equipment. Case in point: try installing to an ATA hard drive using
    a SCSI CDROM with any SCSI hard drives via a CDROM boot. It may just
    be the Adaptec BIOS that does it but it becomes damned near
    impossible, regardless of the order of the drivers in config.sys.

    I will say that with sufficient peserverance and ingenuity you can
    coerce OS/2 into installing. Rebuilding a test box last week I had to
    jump thru all sorts of hoops like pulling parts and multiple installs
    to finally get W98, NT4, W2K and XP all installed. I finally wound up
    cannibalizing an old 2x ATA CDROM and pulling all the SCSI devices to
    finally get it done then restore all the other stuff after the Winxx
    crap was in place. I wish 160g SCSI drives were price competetive!
    Oh, well, at least Suse didn't give me any problem, so I should be
    thankful for small favors.

    Just be aware that mixed SCSI/IDE systems can present a bit of a
    challange at the smarts level of the install environment.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: Boot SCSI w/IDE on Warp4.52

    Sir:

    Will Honea wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:27:08 UTC "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The order of drivers in config.sys determine which hard drive is on
    >>first. If the SCSI card driver is before the IDE drivers, then you can
    >>boot from the SCSI chain. This was and still is true without regard for
    >>the ability of the IDE atapi filter driver to emulate a SCSI chain.

    > While this is perfectly correct once the system is installed, actually
    > getting through the install can be a nightmare with certain mixes of
    > equipment. Case in point: try installing to an ATA hard drive using
    > a SCSI CDROM with any SCSI hard drives via a CDROM boot. It may just
    > be the Adaptec BIOS that does it but it becomes damned near
    > impossible, regardless of the order of the drivers in config.sys.
    >
    > I will say that with sufficient peserverance and ingenuity you can
    > coerce OS/2 into installing. Rebuilding a test box last week I had to
    > jump thru all sorts of hoops like pulling parts and multiple installs
    > to finally get W98, NT4, W2K and XP all installed. I finally wound up
    > cannibalizing an old 2x ATA CDROM and pulling all the SCSI devices to
    > finally get it done then restore all the other stuff after the Winxx
    > crap was in place. I wish 160g SCSI drives were price competetive!
    > Oh, well, at least Suse didn't give me any problem, so I should be
    > thankful for small favors.
    >
    > Just be aware that mixed SCSI/IDE systems can present a bit of a
    > challange at the smarts level of the install environment.

    I just purchased a KVM switch and now allow my first Windows box, XP
    Pro, to be in the same house as me. As soon as my Cyrix box is working,
    I think I'll allow Linux in here also. In this manner I avoid mixing
    operating systems in one box. BTW, this switch seems to allow spurious
    characters to arrive over the keyboard line. Any know of a blocking
    technique and be will to share with us (other than buying a different
    switch)? Tried two different PS2 keyboards, a Dell and a HP. These
    extra characters don't show up on the XP machine, but do on the two OS/2
    machines.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Boot SCSI w/IDE on Warp4.52

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:22:54 GMT, Doug Hood wrote:

    To boot from SCSI, the first thing to make sure of is that you are loading
    the SCSI device driver *before* the IDE device driver (ibm1s506.add or
    danis506.add).

    If you're doing that and still have problems, post again.

    >A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
    >Q: Why should i start my reply below the quoted text?

    I like that. I may blatantly steal that explanation the next time I feel
    compelled to berate a top poster

    --
    - Mike

    Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

+ Reply to Thread