Re: 1024 Cyl. boot limit ? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: 1024 Cyl. boot limit ? - OS2 ; LVB> It appears my machine's BIOS still has that 1024 cyl boot limit. LVB> Now, I was wondering if this requires a bootable partition to LVB> be *completely* located inside those 1024 cylinders, or is it LVB> enough if only ...

  1. Re: 1024 Cyl. boot limit ?

    LVB> It appears my machine's BIOS still has that 1024 cyl boot limit.
    LVB> Now, I was wondering if this requires a bootable partition to
    LVB> be *completely* located inside those 1024 cylinders, or is it
    LVB> enough if only part (the start) of the partition lies within
    LVB> the limit?

  2. Re: 1024 Cyl. boot limit ?

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:17:28 UTC, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
    wrote:

    > LVB> It appears my machine's BIOS still has that 1024 cyl boot limit.
    > LVB> Now, I was wondering if this requires a bootable partition to
    > LVB> be *completely* located inside those 1024 cylinders,

    Yes, because the BIOS needs to access the os2loader, needs the BIOS to
    access the kernel, needs to access the basedev. And all of them can be
    locateded somewhere on the whole partiton and there is nothing that
    can control that.

    or is it
    > LVB> enough if only part (the start) of the partition lies within
    > LVB> the limit?

    No.

    But at least it is ALWAYS a good idea to sdeparate the OS from data.
    And in any case
    WARP4 needs at lest only 0,5GB
    MCP/eCS needs only 1GB
    including enough free space to hold swapper.dat and some archives of
    fixpacks, temp directory and so on.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

  3. Re: 1024 Cyl. boot limit ?

    Hi,

    well, maybe not your BIOS but rather Warp4's bootmanager/fdisk code.
    I was able to successfully install OS/2 Warp4 (I build a boot cd-rom with FP15 via UPDCD) to a
    partition way beyond 1024 cylinders by using another bootmanager (that does not even need it's
    own partition).
    You have to trick the install by adding SET
    INSTALLDRIVE=drive_letter_to_the_OS2_install_parti tion
    in config.sys on the diskette 1 of your installation diskettes.
    DANGER: OS/2 WILL INSTALL TO THAT PARTITION, NO MATTER WHAT !
    That will allow you to install OS/2 anywhere you want. Then install a bootmanager that can boot
    beyond 1024 cylinders (that is, a bootmanager that uses the INT13h extensions), for example
    VPART by Veit Kannegieser (which you will find at www.os2site.com I think).
    It that DOES NOT work, THEN your BIOS does not support the INT13h extensions.

    Hint: If ,during install, you get an error message: "Second read of drive
    'drive_letter_to_the_OS/2_install_partition' does not get usSignature", OS/2 wants to tell you
    that it is not capable to format your install partition (why, I don't know).
    In that case, repeat the install, and on first occasion skip to a command line by hitting "F3",
    format the partition you want to install OS/2 thru the command line (with either FAT or HPFS,
    FAT < 8 GiG, HPFS < 64 GiG), type exit to return to install screen and continue install WITHOUT
    formatting the partition (again).

    Lars

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard schrieb:

    > LVB> It appears my machine's BIOS still has that 1024 cyl boot limit.
    > LVB> Now, I was wondering if this requires a bootable partition to
    > LVB> be *completely* located inside those 1024 cylinders, or is it
    > LVB> enough if only part (the start) of the partition lies within
    > LVB> the limit?

+ Reply to Thread