LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP! - OS2

This is a discussion on LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP! - OS2 ; First, a little background information.. Two drives originally set up: SCSI drive 0 is WinXP SCSI drive 1 is OS/2 Boot manager set up to let me boot either system. I added an IDE drive for storage, but I boot ...

  1. LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!

    First, a little background information.. Two drives originally set
    up:

    SCSI drive 0 is WinXP
    SCSI drive 1 is OS/2
    Boot manager set up to let me boot either system.

    I added an IDE drive for storage, but I boot SCSI first, so no
    problem. To this point; system has been working fine.

    Last night I started to run GHOST off of WinXP, and apparently it
    messed with the partitioning information, because I'm getting an error
    booting to the effect that the WinXP partition can't be found. Boot
    Manager no longer shows WinXP as a choice, but has an LVM1 (or
    something like that in its place. It apparently still boots the
    WinXP, however, so no big deal. Anyway, I tried running LVM to fix
    things, and ran into a problem since it now considers the IDE drive to
    be Drive 1 and wants to put Boot Manager there.

    All of this simply accelerates what I was going to do anyway, which is
    to put the OS/2 in a separate machine, and run XP in my current box.
    Here's the problem, and I hope there's an easy fix:

    WinXP will not boot by itself. I believe its MBR is now handing off
    to the second SCSI drive (OS/2), so when I remove the OS/2 drive, how
    do I restore the WinXP drive MBR so it will boot ok? I hoped
    Partition Magic would do the trick, but it said something like "Drive
    has been improperly dismounted, see online help". I figure this can't
    be a good thing, since mounting improperly is generally discouraged in
    my neck of the woods !

    Anyway, I'm sure there's an easy way to put things back to "normal",
    but I don't know what that would be. A little assistance, please...

  2. Re: LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!

    In article ,
    wrote:

    > when I remove the OS/2 drive, how
    > do I restore the WinXP drive MBR so it will boot ok?

    Is there a way to boot to an XP command prompt? If so, you could try
    running fdisk /mbr to write a new mbr to the disk. I would recommend
    disconnecting the IDE drive and possibly SCSI drive 1 before you do
    this.

    --
    Mark Davis
    San Angelo, TX

  3. Re: LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!

    Hi,

    you can boot from the WinXP install CD. There you will get the choice to
    enter the recovery console by hitting "R".
    Then, you can get a list of commands typing "help".
    There you will find a command to restore the MBR.

    Lars

    "Mark Davis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article ,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > when I remove the OS/2 drive, how
    > > do I restore the WinXP drive MBR so it will boot ok?

    > Is there a way to boot to an XP command prompt? If so, you could try
    > running fdisk /mbr to write a new mbr to the disk. I would recommend
    > disconnecting the IDE drive and possibly SCSI drive 1 before you do
    > this.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Davis
    > San Angelo, TX

  4. Re: LVM - Boot Manager problems - HELP!

    Thank you... I assume you're referring to the "FIXMBR" command?

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:33:27 +0100, "Lars Erdmann"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >you can boot from the WinXP install CD. There you will get the choice to
    >enter the recovery console by hitting "R".
    >Then, you can get a list of commands typing "help".
    >There you will find a command to restore the MBR.
    >
    >Lars
    >
    >"Mark Davis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> In article ,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > when I remove the OS/2 drive, how
    >> > do I restore the WinXP drive MBR so it will boot ok?

    >> Is there a way to boot to an XP command prompt? If so, you could try
    >> running fdisk /mbr to write a new mbr to the disk. I would recommend
    >> disconnecting the IDE drive and possibly SCSI drive 1 before you do
    >> this.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Davis
    >> San Angelo, TX