dvd recorders (any format) - OS2

This is a discussion on dvd recorders (any format) - OS2 ; what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use with OS/2?...

  1. dvd recorders (any format)

    what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    with OS/2?

  2. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    SCSI DVD burners do not seem to exist (except that perhaps someone makes
    an IDE burner with an internal IDE-SCSI adapter -- expensive).

    I have polluted my formerly all-SCSI system by the addition of a Plextor
    PX-708A IDE device, which seems to work fine with RSJ.

    -=-
    Alan

    On 01/01/04 11:57 am Dilbert Firestorm put fingers to keyboard and
    launched the following message into cyberspace:

    > what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    > with OS/2?

  3. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    > with OS/2?

    PX-708A. Works well with both RSJ and UDF (write speed about 3.8 MB/s on
    DVD+RW with both RSJ and UDF).

    Ciao,
    Dani

  4. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    Just curious, but its really possible to write with that drive using just
    the UDF filesystem (without RSJ installed)?
    thanks

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:56:26 +0100, Daniela Engert wrote:

    ilbert Firestorm wrote:
    :> what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    :> with OS/2?
    :>
    :
    :PX-708A. Works well with both RSJ and UDF (write speed about 3.8 MB/s on
    VD+RW with both RSJ and UDF).
    :
    :Ciao,
    : Dani
    :

  5. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    dinkmeister wrote:
    > Just curious, but its really possible to write with that drive using just
    > the UDF filesystem (without RSJ installed)?

    Yes, that's true.

    > :PX-708A. Works well with both RSJ and UDF (write speed about 3.8 MB/s on
    > VD+RW with both RSJ and UDF).

    Ciao,
    Dani

  6. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    I recently purchased an LG GSA-4040B which I was able to filter with
    Daniela's DANIATAPI - and it worked.

    Right now (as I wanted to have my AHA-2940UW the first SCSI-Bus and not
    the virtual one) I have attached it via an ACARD IDE-UW-SCSI-converter
    and it works pretty smooth wit CD-R in combination with RSJ and also
    with Chris' CDR-Tools 2.0.
    DVD's up to now I have only burned on DVD-RAM, this feature makes the
    LG-burner unique! DVD-RAM are quite popular in far east, but seem to
    come up here too for video-recorders. In fact they are told to be very
    reliable for data storage (30 years!) and when a DVD-RAM ist inserted
    into the drive it reports as a (removable) hard disk to the systen and
    UDF-formatting, writing and all works. At that occasion I have posted
    one remaining question in this newsgroop a few entries up:

    I am still looking for a way to write also DVD+/-R with OS/2
    (ProDVD: I don't get a key right now from Joerg)

    Ingo

    Dilbert Firestorm schrieb:
    > what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    > with OS/2?

  7. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    Ingo
    ], who wrote in article :

    > I am still looking for a way to write also DVD+/-R with OS/2
    > (ProDVD: I don't get a key right now from Joerg)

    Did you try to use the "other" cdrtools compile (by nikk?)? It has an
    untested dvd-component, which I presume has no key.

    Please report, I'm sure a lot of people wait for this info before buying...

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    Speaking of nickk's cdrtools, he says that he'll work to perfect the dvd+-r
    support in cdrtools as soon as he can afford a dvd+-r drive. Me and a friend
    have already donated a total of $60 to help him out. If you're interested in
    donating, even a small amount, to help out a great freeware developer/porter,
    go to https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerc.../11980001.html

    p.s. regarding that url: Security/2 is his other project, all money will go to him
    though. See Security/2 on hobbes, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...lpha-0.2.1.zip
    for confirmation of the above donations url. also, e-mail him (address is in the
    Security/2 readme file) to let him know that your donation was for the cdrtools dvd
    writer fund.

    best regards,
    - dink ( http://dink.org )

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:20:37 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    id you try to use the "other" cdrtools compile (by nikk?)? It has an
    :untested dvd-component, which I presume has no key.
    :
    :Please report, I'm sure a lot of people wait for this info before buying...
    :
    :Yours,
    :Ilya

  9. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    Hi Dilbert

    LG GSA-4040B with a firmware revision of at least A300 because it can
    handle dvd-ram as well as the dvd -/+ formats.

    This burner can use udf formatted dvd-ram which in the tests that I have
    tried so far is far quicker than any other method for putting data onto
    a rewritable dvd disc. Here is a backup test as an example:-

    After ide 10.127 update using PC-BaX Demo (V3.20) writing to UDF
    formatted DVD-RAM:-

    Backup Statistics
    -----------------
    Bytes Done: 759,697,046
    Files Done: 12,963
    Files Skipped: 0
    Errors: 0
    Time Taken: 00:10:19
    Total Time: 00:10:27

    I would do a comparison with RSJ and DVD+RW media using the above backup
    but PC-BaX does not seem to work with RSJ attached media.

    I downloaded a copy of BackAgain/2000 for evaluation so have used that
    for this comparison. This is the same backup as above but I have deleted
    some files in the meantime so it is a little smaller in size. Lifted
    from the BackAgain logfile:-

    ;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;
    28-DEC-03 21:39:04 [id=8000] Backup for set 'BackUpG' started.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8003] Total active time for operation : 7:55.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8004] Total idle time for operation : 0:20.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8005] Total elapsed time for operation : 8:15.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8007] Processed 719.7 MB in 13837 files.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8006] Average throughput : 90.9 MB/min.
    28-DEC-03 21:47:20 [id=8401] Backup completed normally.

    Seems faster until you realise that you still need to Finalise the disc
    which takes a further 5 minutes which, in fact makes RSJ and DVD+RW a
    little slower for backup purposes than UDF formatted DVD-RAM.

    Tests here suggest that dvd-ram is the media for udf formatting as
    dvd+rw is very slow in comparison - both in formatting and writing.
    Using a (eventually) udf formatted dvd+rw disc the above backup was
    taking so long that I aborted it after 35 minutes, about 30% done.

    The only downside that I have found with this LG dvd writer is that it
    cannot use x10 speed CDRW discs for udf formatting. The format gets to
    100% and then fails with a "media is write protected" error. It does
    state in my LG manual that x10 cdrw are not supported so I cannot say
    that I am surprised - RSJ can use these discs though: Maybe RSJ
    automatically reduces/increases write speed.

    I have not tried using the dvd extensions to cdrecord yet so cannot
    comment on usability with that package.

    Hope the above is of some use.

    Regards

    Pete

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > what dvd recorders/burners (IDE & SCSI) would anyone recommend for use
    > with OS/2?

  10. Re: dvd recorders (any format)

    dinkmeister wrote:
    > Speaking of nickk's cdrtools, he says that he'll work to perfect the dvd+-r
    > support in cdrtools as soon as he can afford a dvd+-r drive. Me and a friend
    > have already donated a total of $60 to help him out. If you're interested in
    > donating, even a small amount, to help out a great freeware developer/porter,
    > go to https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerc.../11980001.html

    Well, I've upped the donation. Now that DVD+ writers are available for
    less than 100 Euros he should be able to get himself a writer real soon!

    Ciao,
    Dani

+ Reply to Thread