IDEDASD and driver version strangeness - OS2

This is a discussion on IDEDASD and driver version strangeness - OS2 ; Sir: Melvin Klassen wrote: >>>>Some damn misconfigured basedev or who knows... >>> >>>Probably two different sound-card drivers "competing" with each other, >>>although I've only seen this on a Windoze box. >> >>That is one possiblility I did not consider as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: IDEDASD and driver version strangeness

  1. Re: IDEDASD and driver version strangeness

    Sir:

    Melvin Klassen wrote:
    >>>>Some damn misconfigured basedev or who knows...
    >>>
    >>>Probably two different sound-card drivers "competing" with each other,
    >>>although I've only seen this on a Windoze box.

    >>
    >>That is one possiblility I did not consider as Warp 4 does not allow two
    >>audio devices to be default output device.

    >
    >
    > In any system (computer-based or not), there can only be _one_
    > "default".
    >
    > You can install more than one driver for the same hardware,
    > just like you can be one of three men watching TV,
    > with the other two men each holding remote-control devices.
    >
    > You can watch that TV, but the experience of "dueling remotes" will
    > not be a pretty sight/sound.
    >


    I booted the system with the minimum need to boot and the beeps were
    still there: No audio drivers, just a dozen lines or so in config.sys.
    That was the determinant to restore the system from backup.

    You cannot load more than one driver for each hardware resource, no
    matter how many you've installed. The first one to load claims the
    resource: No dueling remotes. The only way for there to be two or more
    drivers of similar type is for there to be more than one hardware device
    of similar type, eg. two mpu401 devices will allow two rtmidi drivers to
    load (assuming that each rtmidi driver claims only one). It is a fact.
    BTW, I've seen two widgets loaded that tried to claim the same hook.
    Bad bug in the hook routine (beta software), but that is not an OS/2
    system problem. Your dueling remotes analogy reminded me of it. :-)

    The default audio device is the audio device that plays system sounds.
    If an application fails to make a select of audio device, then the
    default is chosen.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!


  2. Re: IDEDASD and driver version strangeness

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:12:10, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > I booted the system with the minimum need to boot and the beeps were still there:


    It's time to look "outside" of the Operating System,
    i.e., check your BIOS-settings.
    Look for "system over-temperature-warning",
    i.e., "beep when the motherboard or CPU is greater than XX degrees".
    You could have a failure in your CPU-fan, or a failure in a sensor,
    which is causing overheating, and is triggering the audible-alert.

    Check your hardware. If it seems OK, then experiment:
    boot from the OS/2 Installation Diskettes, using the "ALT-F2"
    boot-trick,
    just to "exercise" your CPU, and see when it starts to beep.

    > The default audio device is the audio device that plays system sounds.


    Yes, that is the definition of "default".

    > If an application fails to make a select of audio device, then the default is chosen.


    Confusing grammer -- "if no selection is made, then a selection (of
    default) is made".
    Instead, rewrite the sentence:

    If an application fails to select an audio device, then the default
    audio device is used.




  3. Re: IDEDASD and driver version strangeness

    Sir:

    Melvin Klassen wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:12:10, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I booted the system with the minimum need to boot and the beeps were still there:

    >
    >
    > It's time to look "outside" of the Operating System,
    > i.e., check your BIOS-settings.
    > Look for "system over-temperature-warning",
    > i.e., "beep when the motherboard or CPU is greater than XX degrees".
    > You could have a failure in your CPU-fan, or a failure in a sensor,
    > which is causing overheating, and is triggering the audible-alert.
    >
    > Check your hardware. If it seems OK, then experiment:
    > boot from the OS/2 Installation Diskettes, using the "ALT-F2"
    > boot-trick,
    > just to "exercise" your CPU, and see when it starts to beep.
    >

    Restored the back up last week. Beeps are long gone. No, it most
    certainly was some code that went bad. Code that was called from a
    basedev. That sounds like systems dlls. Since I tried reapplying the
    last fixpack and the beeps continued (and also replaced the kernel and
    the all basedev too), then it was not one of the dlls that the fixpack
    covered. Had no recourse. Hardware was eliminated from the beginning
    as the other partitions worked fine. Understand that sometimes there
    can be problems that just happens. Which is why I recommended the
    restore of the multimedia system up thread. It is one of the reasons
    that one does backups...
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!


  4. Re: IDEDASD and driver version strangeness

    Melvin Klassen wrote:
    >
    >


    > Confusing grammer -- "if no selection is made, then a selection (of
    > default) is made".
    > Instead, rewrite the sentence:
    >
    > If an application fails to select an audio device, then the default
    > audio device is used.


    Every "newbie" (new or novice computer user) has always argued with me
    about your sentence. They are much better able to understand that a
    "selection is made for you whether you want to make a selection or
    whether you make a selection or not".

    Many people seem to think of the "default" as the choice that *they*
    would make to be used, in case of an error or mistake, etc. They find it
    really hard to believe, and to accept that some unnamed
    person/computer/machine/author/designer has decided for them what their
    default choice is!

    Awh, English is not too easy. (g)

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2