tar and >2.1GB file - OS2

This is a discussion on tar and >2.1GB file - OS2 ; Few weeks ago there was an interesting thread of using tar to do a single file system backups in a HD. As many of you know most of the excellent back up programs like BackAgain allow you to do it ...

  1. tar and >2.1GB file

    Few weeks ago there was an interesting thread of using tar to do a single file
    system backups in a HD. As many of you know most of the excellent back up
    programs like BackAgain allow you to do it in a tape but if the devide is a HD
    the limit is about 2.1GB.
    tar by itself has the same limitation however if the output is directed to the
    screen (stdout) and the redirected to a file it does the trick.
    Here is my line:

    tar -c -ppPv --posix -f - C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ G:/ >All512.tar

    Now this is my question how can you restore for example only D:/ to the
    original source?
    so in another words how do you write the parameter to indicated the file
    extracted from the source and the destination?

    TIA

    Regards,

    -=terry (Denver)=-
    chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    AIM: terryXela

  2. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    > Here is my line:
    >
    > tar -c -ppPv --posix -f - C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ G:/ >All512.tar
    >
    > Now this is my question how can you restore for example only D:/ to the
    > original source?
    > so in another words how do you write the parameter to indicated the file
    > extracted from the source and the destination?

    It's quite simple, just reverse the action:

    tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar , that's all.

    By the way, I doubt that your line works, schould be:

    tar -cppPf - --posix > A11512.tar
    (to redirect the output to stdout you must use (f -)

    I created already 17 GB large archives!

    Ingo

  3. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    In message - Ingo Mon,
    29 Dec 2003 17:37:19 +0100 writes:
    :>
    :>
    :>> Here is my line:
    :>>
    :>> tar -c -ppPv --posix -f - C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ G:/ >All512.tar
    :>>
    :>> Now this is my question how can you restore for example only D:/ to the
    :>> original source?
    :>> so in another words how do you write the parameter to indicated the file
    :>> extracted from the source and the destination?
    :>>
    :>
    :>It's quite simple, just reverse the action:
    :>
    :>tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar , that's all.
    :>
    :>By the way, I doubt that your line works, schould be:
    :>
    :>tar -cppPf - --posix > A11512.tar
    :>(to redirect the output to stdout you must use (f -)

    Ingo,

    Thx. With that line I created a 8gb file but yes I do not know if it works. I
    did not know you have to place --posix at the end. I did use the redirection
    of file to stdout (f -).

    With your line

    tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar

    you restore like in my case the 5 volumes. Can you restore only one voclume
    for exampe C:/ or even one directory like C:/os2 ?. I know (well I read :-))
    how to do it using x but how do you do it using redirection to stdout?
    Ingo, again thx and happy new year.

    Regards,

    -=terry (Denver)=-
    chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    AIM: terryXela

  4. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    Teruel de Campo schrieb:
    > In message - Ingo Mon,
    > 29 Dec 2003 17:37:19 +0100 writes:
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>> Here is my line:
    > :>>
    > :>> tar -c -ppPv --posix -f - C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ G:/ >All512.tar
    > :>>
    > :>> Now this is my question how can you restore for example only D:/ to the
    > :>> original source?
    > :>> so in another words how do you write the parameter to indicated the file
    > :>> extracted from the source and the destination?
    > :>>
    > :>
    > :>It's quite simple, just reverse the action:
    > :>
    > :>tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar , that's all.
    > :>
    > :>By the way, I doubt that your line works, schould be:
    > :>
    > :>tar -cppPf - --posix > A11512.tar
    > :>(to redirect the output to stdout you must use (f -)
    >
    > Ingo,
    >
    > Thx. With that line I created a 8gb file but yes I do not know if it works. I
    > did not know you have to place --posix at the end. I did use the redirection
    > of file to stdout (f -).
    >
    > With your line
    >
    > tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar
    >
    > you restore like in my case the 5 volumes. Can you restore only one voclume
    > for exampe C:/ or even one directory like C:/os2 ?. I know (well I read :-))
    > how to do it using x but how do you do it using redirection to stdout?
    > Ingo, again thx and happy new year.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > -=terry (Denver)=-
    > chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    > AIM: terryXela

    It shouls work, if for instance in this line: tar -xppPf - D:/ < A11512.tar

    D:/ is really what your Volume is named in the archiv, tar is
    case-sensitive!
    So chech your archiv's content with tar -tppPf - < A11512.tar >
    content.txt and than instead of D:/ use the corresponding output and it
    should work! (Or did you omit the 'P' switch which strips drive-letters
    from filenames?)

    Ingo

  5. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    Hi,
    you may also try to take only 'D:' instead of 'D:/'.
    I never used to pack more than one partition into one archive,
    so you have to try or consult the readme.

    Ingo

  6. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    In message - Ingo Thu,
    01 Jan 2004 15:55:33 +0100 writes:
    :>
    :>Hi,
    :>you may also try to take only 'D:' instead of 'D:/'.
    :>I never used to pack more than one partition into one archive,
    :>so you have to try or consult the readme.

    Ingo,

    Thank you for your help. I will try it, in the next few days. I read the whole
    tag manual and I could not find anything realted to file or volume extraction
    using redirection. Everything is very clear with but that is the normal
    use and under this type of use the 2GB limit is the problem, only redirecting
    to stdout is when the 2GB can be broken.

    Best Regards,

    -=terry (Denver)=-
    chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    AIM: terryXela

  7. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    Teruel de Campo
    ], who wrote in article :
    > tag manual and I could not find anything realted to file or volume extraction
    > using redirection. Everything is very clear with but that is the normal
    > use and under this type of use the 2GB limit is the problem, only redirecting
    > to stdout is when the 2GB can be broken.

    It is hard to understand what you want... E.g., when extracting, you
    should redirect stdin, not stdout...

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    In message - Ilya Zakharevich
    writes:
    :>It is hard to understand what you want... E.g., when extracting, you
    :>should redirect stdin, not stdout...

    Not for me :-).
    If I had an archive with many volumes (C:/ D:/ E;/ etc called all.tag) How can
    I restore ONLY which is a file located in one of the
    volumes archieved?

    tar -xppPf - e:/mydire/file.txt < all.tar

    Is this correct?

    Thx Ilya and the best wishes for 2004!

    Regards,

    -=terry (Denver)=-
    chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    AIM: terryXela

  9. Re: tar and >2.1GB file

    :>tar -xppPf - e:/mydire/file.txt < all.tar

    It works OK. Thank you for your help. Because did not have a reliable backup
    of the system I did not want to test tar until I was sure what I was doing.

    Regards,

    -=terry (Denver)=-
    chustyXXX@attglobal.net
    AIM: terryXela