Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2? - OS2 ; Is anyone still able to use magneto-optical disks with recent editions of OS/2? It seems to me that support for MO reached its peak at about OS/2 4.0 fixpack 6 and has been declining ever since. I have a shelf ...

  1. Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    Is anyone still able to use magneto-optical disks with recent editions
    of OS/2?

    It seems to me that support for MO reached its peak at about OS/2 4.0
    fixpack 6 and has been declining ever since. I have a shelf full of
    MO cartridges which no longer work with MCP2/eCS1.1 to the point that
    OS/2 will not boot if a cartridge is in the drive. Of course Windows
    2000 can operate the drive, format the cartridges and store and access
    files thereon.

    I can't be the only person to have noticed this.

    FWIW the problem system is all SCSI using Adaptec ultra and ultra-wide
    controllers.

    I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who has encountered
    such problems and found a solution.

    --
    Reply to: field is bogus. Respond to
    Jon Saxton Software developer for UNIX,

  2. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:17:06 UTC, "Jon Saxton"
    wrote:

    > Is anyone still able to use magneto-optical disks with recent editions
    > of OS/2?

    I only use 640MB MO disks with a Warp Server (Warp 3) FP 43
    system, however using Dani's DASD filter (danin512r013.zip),
    HPFS386 with an Adaptec 2940UW & Warp 4 GA driver (39886 bytes) I
    have no issues. I know you're asking about more recent versions
    but even so.

    Which drivers are you using?

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net

  3. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    wrote:

    > I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who has encountered
    > such problems and found a solution.

    sorry, but I can't help.

    The only thing I can confirm is that you can operate a MOD disc with
    the Fujitsu driver (MODISK.SYS) though it's a little bit slow. I never
    tried the new optical disc driver or os2dasd.dmd (danisdasd.dmd).

    I don't think you boot problem is related to an optical disc but to
    some settings at the adaptec scsi (Boot Options etc.)

    --

    Lesh dagh yeearree vie
    Carlos

  4. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    I have both a 6640 and a 1200 MB MO drive in my OS/2 4.52 system
    (fixpak 2) which is all SCSI.

    The 640 MB drive is working fine, but the 1200 Mb drive has stopped
    working. I think it is a hardware problem. The 1200 MB drive is
    found during bootup but is not accessible after. I am currently using
    the danin512.flt and danidasd.dmd drivers. When I get a chance I go
    back to n512dasd.flt and os2dasd.dmd and see if that makes a
    difference.

    Relevant statements from my config.sys are

    BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL
    device=e:\os2\boot\aspirout.sys
    rem basedev=n512dasd.flt /v
    basedev=danin512.flt /v
    rem BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /of
    basedev=danidasd.dmd /of

    Good luck,

    Nathan Liskov

    Jon Saxton" wrote:

    > Is anyone still able to use magneto-optical disks with recent editions
    > of OS/2?
    >
    > It seems to me that support for MO reached its peak at about OS/2 4.0
    > fixpack 6 and has been declining ever since. I have a shelf full of
    > MO cartridges which no longer work with MCP2/eCS1.1 to the point that
    > OS/2 will not boot if a cartridge is in the drive. Of course Windows
    > 2000 can operate the drive, format the cartridges and store and access
    > files thereon.
    >
    > I can't be the only person to have noticed this.
    >
    > FWIW the problem system is all SCSI using Adaptec ultra and ultra-wide
    > controllers.
    >
    > I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who has encountered
    > such problems and found a solution.

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  5. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:32:00 UTC, "Nathan Liskov" wrote:

    > The 640 MB drive is working fine, but the 1200 Mb drive has stopped
    > working. I think it is a hardware problem. The 1200 MB drive is
    > found during bootup but is not accessible after. I am currently using
    > the danin512.flt and danidasd.dmd drivers. When I get a chance I go
    > back to n512dasd.flt and os2dasd.dmd and see if that makes a
    > difference.

    Probably it will: I use a SONY SMO-F541+3 and FUJITSU M2513EL and encounterede the problem
    that mo > 640 mbyte are working fine only with n512dasd.flt.

    My relevant config.sys statements are

    BASEDEV=N512DASD.FLT
    rem BASEDEV=DANIN512.FLT
    BASEDEV=DANIDASD.DMD /of
    BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD
    BASEDEV=AIC78U2.ADD /v
    BASEDEV=AIC7870.ADD /v

    > > Is anyone still able to use magneto-optical disks with recent editions
    > > of OS/2?

    Yes.

    Ciao, Harald

    --

    e-mail : harald.kammNOSPAM@bnv-bamberg.de

    http://cyberia.dnsalias.com

    This OS/2 system's uptime is at least 2 days 09:28 hours and 19 seconds

  6. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:23:20 UTC, "Harald Kamm" wrote:

    > > The 640 MB drive is working fine, but the 1200 Mb drive has stopped
    > > working. I think it is a hardware problem. The 1200 MB drive is
    > > found during bootup but is not accessible after. I am currently using
    > > the danin512.flt and danidasd.dmd drivers. When I get a chance I go
    > > back to n512dasd.flt and os2dasd.dmd and see if that makes a
    > > difference.

    > Probably it will: I use a SONY SMO-F541+3 and FUJITSU M2513EL and encounterede the problem
    > that mo > 640 mbyte are working fine only with n512dasd.flt.

    I use 640 MB drive with Warp 4 FP16, and three months ago I suddenly
    discovered that those disks (even 230 MB ones), that were partitioned with
    n512dasd.flt, are no more compatible with danin512.flt (and vice versa).
    I was compelled to recreate partitions and reformat them.

    But I'm sure that there was no any incompatibility when I replaced n512dasd.flt
    with danin512.flt more than year ago, it was introduced only after some
    recent software updates.

    --
    Yuri Proniakin

  7. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    "Nathan Liskov" wrote:

    > When I get a chance I'll go
    > back to n512dasd.flt and os2dasd.dmd and see if that makes a
    > difference.

    It makes no difference. The 1.2 GB disk does not work in either case
    (although the CDROM disk letter was different). In either case
    (danin512.flt or n512dasd) finds the drive and reports it as
    virtualized during bootup.

    I ran LVMGUI and it reports that the 1.2 GB disk has a bad MBR and
    incorrect partitioning info and reports a size of 96 MB vs 1200 MB. I
    tried new 1.2 GB media and was not able to partition it.

    I also tried DFSEE and it reported no access, locked and 0
    sectors/track.

    When I try to access the 1.2 GB drive I get SYS039 (not ready) and
    SYS038 (device not found) errors.

    Nathan Liskov

  8. Re: Magneto-optical disks and recent OS/2?

    wrote:

    > I have both a 6640 and a 1200 MB MO drive in my OS/2 4.52 system
    > (fixpak 2) which is all SCSI.
    >
    > The 640 MB drive is working fine, but the 1200 Mb drive has stopped
    > working. I think it is a hardware problem. The 1200 MB drive is
    > found during bootup but is not accessible after. I am currently using
    > the danin512.flt and danidasd.dmd drivers. When I get a chance I go
    > back to n512dasd.flt and os2dasd.dmd and see if that makes a
    > difference.

    I did that and things started working again. This confirms the
    findings of Harald Kamm and other respondents.

    All my cartridges were formatted using the older FLT driver so I'll
    probably stick with it but I'll experiment with partitioning a new
    cartridge using Daniela's version and see what happens.

    --
    Reply to: field is bogus. Respond to
    Jon Saxton Software developer for UNIX,
    OS/2 & Windows
    U.S. Agent for Triton Technologies International Ltd.
    http://www.triton.vg

+ Reply to Thread