USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ? - OS2

This is a discussion on USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ? - OS2 ; I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB. I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD (with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it. Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, ...

  1. USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.

    I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    (with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.

    Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, I tried running USBRES to see if
    the device is detected. However, I get '0 USB devices connected'.

    I've tried booting up with the key inserted, no go.

    Naturally (<=|) it works fine under Win2K...

    Do I need to add it to USB.IDS before USBRES will detect it? If so, where
    can I find the ID numbers for this device?

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  2. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:31:08 UTC, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    >
    > I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    > (with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.

    Leave out the /CDS:0 part. That doesn't seem to be part of the
    parameters for USBMSD.ADD, but I don't think it will hurt anything.

    > Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, I tried running USBRES to see if
    > the device is detected. However, I get '0 USB devices connected'.
    >
    > I've tried booting up with the key inserted, no go.
    >
    > Naturally (<=|) it works fine under Win2K...

    Check in Win2K, to see if it will give you more information. My 8 MiB
    IBM Memory key shows itself as an M-Systems DiskOnKey device. I also
    had, for a brief time, a 256 MiB IBM key, which showed as something
    else (I don't remember what it was, but it worked).

    > Do I need to add it to USB.IDS before USBRES will detect it? If so, where
    > can I find the ID numbers for this device?

    You don't need a specific ID, but it might show as "Unknown", if it is
    not in the table.

    I am not too sure why the device is not showing under USBRES. I assume
    that you know, that you need to do the Refresh Removable Media thing,
    to see it with the file system, unless you have the Removable Device
    Monitor installed, and loaded, which will do that automatically. I
    notice, that you describe the device as being USB 2.0. Is it possible,
    that your adapter is not USB 2.0 compatible, and Win2K is doing
    something to make that work, while OS/2 doesn't know about that trick?

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  3. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    In <3fd9ecae$0$12699$45beb828@newscene.com>, Alex Taylor writes:
    >I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    >
    >I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    >(with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.
    >
    >Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, I tried running USBRES to see if
    >the device is detected. However, I get '0 USB devices connected'.
    >
    >I've tried booting up with the key inserted, no go.
    >
    >Naturally (<=|) it works fine under Win2K...
    >

    >Do I need to add it to USB.IDS before USBRES will detect it? If so, where
    >can I find the ID numbers for this device?
    >
    >--
    >Alex Taylor
    >http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    It begs the question, are you set up for USB 2?

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V <---------------------------------------
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$ <------------
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    REM FOR REMOVABLES AND CDRW
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1
    BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD /CDS:0

    USB 1.1 should read it albeit slower, but you never know ......

    Best Regards,

    David
    C.M. Consultants,Inc

  4. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    I got my recent SanDisk Cruzer 256 mb recognized with the latest USB on ECS
    and Warp 4 with the CWUSBMSD.add driver. I had to format it first on my ibm
    laptop T22 and then it was recognized. OS/2 won't recognize it if it's FAT32
    or NTFS.
    Hope this helps.
    Matt

    On 12 Dec 2003 10:31:08 -0600, Alex Taylor wrote:

    >I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    >
    >I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    >(with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.
    >
    >Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, I tried running USBRES to see if
    >the device is detected. However, I get '0 USB devices connected'.
    >
    >I've tried booting up with the key inserted, no go.
    >
    >Naturally (<=|) it works fine under Win2K...
    >

    >Do I need to add it to USB.IDS before USBRES will detect it? If so, where
    >can I find the ID numbers for this device?
    >
    >--
    >Alex Taylor
    >http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Matt Walsh El Paso, TX
    OS/2 Outpost....................
    Computin' & Shootin in the dust.................

  5. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:47:33 UTC, davidb@cmconsultantsdot.net wrote:

    > >I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    > >
    > >I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    > >(with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.
    > >
    > >Per the advice in CWUSBMSD documentation, I tried running USBRES to see if
    > >the device is detected. However, I get '0 USB devices connected'.

    > It begs the question, are you set up for USB 2?

    No; my system is not USB 2.0. It uses UHCI only.

    > USB 1.1 should read it albeit slower, but you never know ......

    It works under Windows, so the hardware must be compatible.

    | Alex Taylor http://www.cs-club.org/~alex |

  6. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:51:54 UTC, "Doug Bissett" wrote:

    > > I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    > >
    > > I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    > > (with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.
    > >
    > > Naturally (<=|) it works fine under Win2K...

    > Check in Win2K, to see if it will give you more information. My 8 MiB
    > IBM Memory key shows itself as an M-Systems DiskOnKey device. I also
    > had, for a brief time, a 256 MiB IBM key, which showed as something
    > else (I don't remember what it was, but it worked).

    Windows just reports it as 'Sony USB memory stick' or somesuch. No
    details at all.

    > I am not too sure why the device is not showing under USBRES. I assume
    > that you know, that you need to do the Refresh Removable Media thing,
    > to see it with the file system, unless you have the Removable Device
    > Monitor installed, and loaded, which will do that automatically. I

    Yes, I am doing a refresh. OS/2 doesn't see the hardware at all, though.

    > notice, that you describe the device as being USB 2.0. Is it possible,
    > that your adapter is not USB 2.0 compatible, and Win2K is doing
    > something to make that work, while OS/2 doesn't know about that trick?

    I suppose it's remotely possible...

    | Alex Taylor http://www.cs-club.org/~alex |

  7. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On 2003-12-13, Alex Taylor wrote:
    >> >I just got a USB memory key, it is a Sony MicroVault USB 2.0 128MB.
    >> >
    >> >I can't get OS/2 to recognize it. Neither USBMSD.ADD nor CWUSBMSD.ADD
    >> >(with '/FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /CDS:0') seem to detect it.

    > No; my system is not USB 2.0. It uses UHCI only.
    > It works under Windows, so the hardware must be compatible.

    Same problem here with an USB 2.0 128MB Stick.
    Not recognized by neither (cw)usbmsd.ADD nor usbresmg.sys.
    (I have working USB 1.1 sticks here with same hardware)

    So I also would be interested in a solution.

    Franz

  8. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:06:13 UTC, Franz Bakan
    wrote:

    > > No; my system is not USB 2.0. It uses UHCI only.
    > > It works under Windows, so the hardware must be compatible.

    > Same problem here with an USB 2.0 128MB Stick.
    > Not recognized by neither (cw)usbmsd.ADD nor usbresmg.sys.
    > (I have working USB 1.1 sticks here with same hardware)
    >
    > So I also would be interested in a solution.
    >
    > Franz

    How about getting a USB 2.0 compatible adapter???

    hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  9. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:31:12 GMT, Matt Walsh wrote:
    > I got my recent SanDisk Cruzer 256 mb recognized with the latest USB on ECS
    > and Warp 4 with the CWUSBMSD.add driver. I had to format it first on my ibm
    > laptop T22 and then it was recognized. OS/2 won't recognize it if it's FAT32
    > or NTFS.

    It's formatted FAT16 (well, VFAT16). I think the problem occurs well
    before that, however. The fact that USBRES doesn't show it suggests to me
    that the OS/2 USB drivers themselves aren't recognizing the hardware as a
    valid device.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  10. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:28:57 GMT, Doug Bissett
    wrote:
    >> > No; my system is not USB 2.0. It uses UHCI only.
    >> > It works under Windows, so the hardware must be compatible.

    >> Same problem here with an USB 2.0 128MB Stick.
    >> Not recognized by neither (cw)usbmsd.ADD nor usbresmg.sys.
    >> (I have working USB 1.1 sticks here with same hardware)

    > How about getting a USB 2.0 compatible adapter???

    USB 2.0 is backwards compatible. Since it works under Windows, the
    hardware IS demonstrably compatible. It is therefore a driver issue.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  11. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    Is the USB port turned on in BIOS?
    MJW

    On 16 Dec 2003 09:27:19 -0600, Alex Taylor wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:31:12 GMT, Matt Walsh wrote:
    >> I got my recent SanDisk Cruzer 256 mb recognized with the latest USB on ECS
    >> and Warp 4 with the CWUSBMSD.add driver. I had to format it first on my ibm
    >> laptop T22 and then it was recognized. OS/2 won't recognize it if it's FAT32
    >> or NTFS.

    >It's formatted FAT16 (well, VFAT16). I think the problem occurs well
    >before that, however. The fact that USBRES doesn't show it suggests to me
    >that the OS/2 USB drivers themselves aren't recognizing the hardware as a
    >valid device.
    >
    >--
    >Alex Taylor
    >http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Matt Walsh El Paso, TX
    OS/2 Outpost....................
    Computin' & Shootin in the dust.................

  12. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    Sir:

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    >>>Same problem here with an USB 2.0 128MB Stick.
    >>>Not recognized by neither (cw)usbmsd.ADD nor usbresmg.sys.
    >>>(I have working USB 1.1 sticks here with same hardware)

    >>How about getting a USB 2.0 compatible adapter???

    > USB 2.0 is backwards compatible. Since it works under Windows, the
    > hardware IS demonstrably compatible. It is therefore a driver issue.

    You are only partly correct. You cannot use USB 2.0 externals with an
    USB 1.0 controller. The USB 1.0 controller does not know about USB 2.0,
    and those externals will fail. Not an USB software issue. What
    michysoft is doing is emulating USB 2.0 controller in software, but that
    is not required by the standard and itself can and does cause problems.
    MS revise and extend at work. One result is the driver for the
    externals is unstandard and device specific. Another feature to lock
    users into Microsoft Windows.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  13. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:02:58 GMT, Matt Walsh wrote:
    > Is the USB port turned on in BIOS?

    I don't see how it could work under Windows if it wasn't. But I suppose I
    could double-check on both PCs.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  14. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:12:21 GMT, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:

    >> USB 2.0 is backwards compatible. Since it works under Windows, the
    >> hardware IS demonstrably compatible. It is therefore a driver issue.
    >>

    > You are only partly correct. You cannot use USB 2.0 externals with an
    > USB 1.0 controller. The USB 1.0 controller does not know about USB 2.0,
    > and those externals will fail. Not an USB software issue. What
    > michysoft is doing is emulating USB 2.0 controller in software, but that
    > is not required by the standard and itself can and does cause problems.

    Do you have a source for this? My understanding has always been that USB
    2.0 is backwards-compatible with 1.x, and if that's false then I need to
    check the details.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  15. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:02:58 GMT, Matt Walsh wrote:
    > > Is the USB port turned on in BIOS?

    > I don't see how it could work under Windows if it wasn't. But I suppose I
    > could double-check on both PCs.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    32-bit Windows is famous for "peeking" into a computer and finding and
    enabling *anything* it can find, even if it is already disabled by the
    BIOS or by the user. It enables everything!

    Lars

  16. Re: USB memory key (Sony MicroVault) ?

    Sir:

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    >>>USB 2.0 is backwards compatible. Since it works under Windows, the
    >>>hardware IS demonstrably compatible. It is therefore a driver issue.
    >>>

    >>You are only partly correct. You cannot use USB 2.0 externals with an
    >>USB 1.0 controller. The USB 1.0 controller does not know about USB 2.0,
    >>and those externals will fail. Not an USB software issue. What
    >>michysoft is doing is emulating USB 2.0 controller in software, but that
    >>is not required by the standard and itself can and does cause problems.

    > Do you have a source for this? My understanding has always been that USB
    > 2.0 is backwards-compatible with 1.x, and if that's false then I need to
    > check the details.

    Thought I killed this. Anyway, I have a Mustek 5 Megapixel cammera that
    will not work on OS/2 USB stack if I am using a 1.1 USB port (beyond
    reporting that it is a cammera). Indeed, all my machines that I have,
    have USB 1.1 ports. But I attach it to WinXP pro machine and until I
    install the special driver that the vendor provides, it does not work
    there either. So I purchased an USB 2.0 adapter and plug the cammera
    into it on my OS/2 machine and now I see the mass storage drive and the
    images thereon. Since I do also have an new Epson 2400 prefection
    scanner that also has an USB 2.0 port on it, it works fine with my
    normal 1.1 ports, I must conclude what I told you about some hardware
    requiring special drivers to emulate the 2.0 port on a 1.1 controller
    must a plauable answer to the above facts. I misspoked when I blamed
    Microsoft, when in truth it is the vendors crap that is the root cause
    of this.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!