Warpzilla Install Woes - OS2

This is a discussion on Warpzilla Install Woes - OS2 ; I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.) When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find ...

  1. Warpzilla Install Woes

    I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of
    trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.)
    When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find libc05.
    I downloaded libc06 from the Warpzilla site (which got it from
    innotek.de and placed it in the folder where firefox.exe is located) and
    it doesn't do the trick. (It specifically says libc05 OR libc06.) I
    download libc05 and the file I get is libc-0.5.1.exe. Thinking that
    this is a self-extracting file I run it and get an error saying that it
    can't be run in an OS/2 session. It also refuses to run in a Windows XP
    window. So what am I doing wrong?

    --
    "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    "Yes, Brain, I think so. But how do we get Twiggy to pose with an

  2. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    Vernon Balbert wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of
    > trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.)
    > When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find libc05.
    > I downloaded libc06 from the Warpzilla site (which got it from
    > innotek.de and placed it in the folder where firefox.exe is located) and
    > it doesn't do the trick. (It specifically says libc05 OR libc06.) I
    > download libc05 and the file I get is libc-0.5.1.exe. Thinking that
    > this is a self-extracting file I run it and get an error saying that it
    > can't be run in an OS/2 session. It also refuses to run in a Windows XP
    > window. So what am I doing wrong?

    if memory serves me correctly, I had to open either an os/2 or a dos
    command session and run it from the command line.

    --
    Jack Wise

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

  3. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    On 9/25/2007 7:47 PM, Jack Wise went clickity clack on the keyboard and
    produced this interesting bit of text:
    > Vernon Balbert wrote:
    >> I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of
    >> trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.)
    >> When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find
    >> libc05. I downloaded libc06 from the Warpzilla site (which got it
    >> from innotek.de and placed it in the folder where firefox.exe is
    >> located) and it doesn't do the trick. (It specifically says libc05 OR
    >> libc06.) I download libc05 and the file I get is libc-0.5.1.exe.
    >> Thinking that this is a self-extracting file I run it and get an error
    >> saying that it can't be run in an OS/2 session. It also refuses to
    >> run in a Windows XP window. So what am I doing wrong?
    >>

    > if memory serves me correctly, I had to open either an os/2 or a dos
    > command session and run it from the command line.

    I did both and got the same results with the appropriate error messages.

    --
    "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    "I think so, Brain, but if the plural of mouse is mice, wouldn't the

  4. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    Vernon Balbert wrote:
    > On 9/25/2007 7:47 PM, Jack Wise went clickity clack on the keyboard and
    > produced this interesting bit of text:
    >> Vernon Balbert wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of
    >>> trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.)
    >>> When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find
    >>> libc05. I downloaded libc06 from the Warpzilla site (which got it
    >>> from innotek.de and placed it in the folder where firefox.exe is
    >>> located) and it doesn't do the trick. (It specifically says libc05
    >>> OR libc06.) I download libc05 and the file I get is libc-0.5.1.exe.
    >>> Thinking that this is a self-extracting file I run it and get an
    >>> error saying that it can't be run in an OS/2 session. It also
    >>> refuses to run in a Windows XP window. So what am I doing wrong?
    >>>

    >> if memory serves me correctly, I had to open either an os/2 or a dos
    >> command session and run it from the command line.

    > I did both and got the same results with the appropriate error messages.

    I'd say a bad download. Can't remember if it is a self extracting zip
    but you could try unzipping it.
    The best newsgroup for these discussions is
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.dev.ports.os2, also checkout
    http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
    Dave

  5. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 04:46:19 UTC, Vernon Balbert
    wrote:

    > On 9/25/2007 7:47 PM, Jack Wise went clickity clack on the keyboard and
    > produced this interesting bit of text:
    > > Vernon Balbert wrote:
    > >> I'm trying to get Warpzilla up and running and am having a bit of
    > >> trouble. (If I need to go to another newsgroup, please let me know.)
    > >> When I try to launch firefox.exe it tells me that it can't find
    > >> libc05. I downloaded libc06 from the Warpzilla site (which got it
    > >> from innotek.de and placed it in the folder where firefox.exe is
    > >> located) and it doesn't do the trick. (It specifically says libc05 OR
    > >> libc06.) I download libc05 and the file I get is libc-0.5.1.exe.
    > >> Thinking that this is a self-extracting file I run it and get an error
    > >> saying that it can't be run in an OS/2 session. It also refuses to
    > >> run in a Windows XP window. So what am I doing wrong?
    > >>

    > > if memory serves me correctly, I had to open either an os/2 or a dos
    > > command session and run it from the command line.

    > I did both and got the same results with the appropriate error messages.

    Hmmm. When I run it, by clicking on it, I get the Innotek GCC Runtime
    installation window. Try creating a special folder somewhere else, like
    x:\temp, and running the exe from there. With exe files like this, I
    usually uncheck "Close window on exit" in settings so as to see any
    message(s) which may appear.

    ++++

    "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    "I think so, Brain, but if the plural of mouse is mice, wouldn't the
    plural of spouse be spice?"

    Is this a syllogism from six sitting sheet slitters in the Kicky Sack
    Sack Kicker factory in Hackensack, New Jersey, regardless of the toy
    boat won in the sack race? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

    Pete

    --

  6. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    On 9/26/2007 12:14 AM, Pete went clickity clack on the keyboard and
    produced this interesting bit of text:
    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 04:46:19 UTC, Vernon Balbert
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/25/2007 7:47 PM, Jack Wise went clickity clack on the keyboard and
    >> produced this interesting bit of text:
    >>>>
    >>> if memory serves me correctly, I had to open either an os/2 or a dos
    >>> command session and run it from the command line.

    >> I did both and got the same results with the appropriate error messages.

    > Hmmm. When I run it, by clicking on it, I get the Innotek GCC Runtime
    > installation window. Try creating a special folder somewhere else, like
    > x:\temp, and running the exe from there. With exe files like this, I
    > usually uncheck "Close window on exit" in settings so as to see any
    > message(s) which may appear.

    Turns out it was a bad download. Managed to get it working correctly.
    Now I'm getting an error when trying to run Firefox. Figured I'd give
    SeaMonkey a try.

    --
    So Many Pedestrians - So Little Time

  7. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    Vernon Balbert wrote:

    > Turns out it was a bad download. Managed to get it working correctly.
    > Now I'm getting an error when trying to run Firefox. Figured I'd give
    > SeaMonkey a try.

    I highly recommend it. The news groups have many discussions of the hoops you
    have to jump through to get Firefox and Thunderbird to coexist. I never could
    understand why so many people insist on separate web browser and mail and news
    readers when they are so closely related and interact so much.

  8. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    James J. Weinkam writes:

    > I never could understand why so many people insist on separate web
    > browser and mail and news readers when they are so closely related
    > and interact so much.

    For the same reason that so many people insisted on running their
    Windows 3.1 applications in separate VDMs on OS/2: one was
    protected from the other. In my experience, the web browser is the
    most crash-prone piece of OS/2 software. (Incidentally, the same
    goes for IE on Windows.) For that reason, the last time I upgraded
    my installation of Firefox, I chose not to enable Flash and Java,
    as these only made the browser more crash prone. (And once again,
    the same goes for IE on Windows.) I really don't like having my
    mail program taken down whenever the web browser crashes.

  9. Re: Warpzilla Install Woes

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > James J. Weinkam writes:
    >
    >> I never could understand why so many people insist on separate web
    >> browser and mail and news readers when they are so closely related
    >> and interact so much.

    > For the same reason that so many people insisted on running their
    > Windows 3.1 applications in separate VDMs on OS/2: one was
    > protected from the other. In my experience, the web browser is the
    > most crash-prone piece of OS/2 software. (Incidentally, the same
    > goes for IE on Windows.) For that reason, the last time I upgraded
    > my installation of Firefox, I chose not to enable Flash and Java,
    > as these only made the browser more crash prone. (And once again,
    > the same goes for IE on Windows.) I really don't like having my
    > mail program taken down whenever the web browser crashes.

    Well, that's certainly a valid concept. I suppose it depends on what sites you
    visit and various other personal browsing patterns. Personally I haven't had a
    browser crash in several years with up to date Mozillas and more recently
    Seamonkey. Of course Netscape was another matter back in the "good old days."

+ Reply to Thread