cleaning up os2sys.ini - OS2

This is a discussion on cleaning up os2sys.ini - OS2 ; In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago. How do I get rid of these reamains? Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: cleaning up os2sys.ini

  1. cleaning up os2sys.ini

    In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text
    which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago.
    How do I get rid of these reamains?
    Thanks

  2. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Sir:

    Leo Tick wrote:
    > In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text
    > which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago.
    > How do I get rid of these reamains?
    > Thanks


    As always, make a backup copy before embarking upon messing with the ini
    files. I'd use Goran's INI editor and delete all references to it. Use
    the search feature. Or use SysEdit/2 and do the same. Before rebooting
    then run checkini and cleanini to make sure you've not messed up
    something that would stop the machine from bringing up the desktop.

    Alternatively, you could find the install program for your Oki and run
    its' uninstall.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Leo Tick wrote:
    > In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text
    > which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago.
    > How do I get rid of these reamains?


    Regedit2.exe (ships with OS/2)

    But don't delete too much. Usually these entries do not harm.


    Marcel

  4. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Hi Leo

    Leo Tick wrote:
    > In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text
    > which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago.
    > How do I get rid of these reamains?
    > Thanks



    As mentioned INIEditor can be a useful tool - but as the above is
    probably a reference to a printer you could use a different utility
    called prndrv to clean up the printer list in the ini files.

    I can never remember where to find a copy though...

    Aha! Knew it was somewhere in my rather lengthy, messy bookmarks

    ftp://ftp.merlin.zolotek.net/os2/pmfax/prndrv.exe


    Just enter prndrv at the commend line for instructions :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  5. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Leo Tick wrote:
    > In looking at os2sys.ini (with an editor a big mistake) I find some text
    > which says okidata in some places. I got rid of my oki many moons ago.
    > How do I get rid of these reamains?
    > Thanks

    My thanks for all the suggestions. Sheepishly I have to admit I never
    saw the search option in regedit2. There were at least 6 references to
    my long gone okidata (printer). Can hardly wait for ECS-2 for a fresh
    install and getting rid of all the remnants of the past

  6. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Peter Brown wrote:
    snip
    > As mentioned INIEditor can be a useful tool - but as the above is
    > probably a reference to a printer you could use a different utility
    > called prndrv to clean up the printer list in the ini files.
    >
    > I can never remember where to find a copy though...
    >
    > Aha! Knew it was somewhere in my rather lengthy, messy bookmarks
    >
    > ftp://ftp.merlin.zolotek.net/os2/pmfax/prndrv.exe
    >
    >
    > Just enter prndrv at the commend line for instructions :-)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete


    That site is not open today. I was able to look into it yesterday, but
    not today. And of course, I couldn't see *all* of the fun stuff that was
    there yesterday, so I tried to go back to it today.

    Private site? Only temporary downloading ability?



  7. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    On 21.09.07 19:48, Nobody wrote:

    > Peter Brown wrote:


    >> ftp://ftp.merlin.zolotek.net/os2/pmfax/prndrv.exe


    > That site is not open today.


    Search on the great australian OS/2 Site:

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/index.html

    The result points to:

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/comm/faxworks/prndrv.exe
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/printer/prndrv.exe

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  8. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 21.09.07 19:48, Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown wrote:

    >
    >>> ftp://ftp.merlin.zolotek.net/os2/pmfax/prndrv.exe

    >
    >> That site is not open today.

    >
    > Search on the great australian OS/2 Site:
    >
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/index.html
    >
    > The result points to:
    >
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/comm/faxworks/prndrv.exe
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/printer/prndrv.exe
    >

    Thank you so much.

    PRNDRV I had already. But, I wanted to see what else was available. And
    indeed I had fun looking at the OS/2 Site instead.


  9. Re: cleaning up os2sys.ini

    Hi

    Nobody wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    > snip
    >> As mentioned INIEditor can be a useful tool - but as the above is
    >> probably a reference to a printer you could use a different utility
    >> called prndrv to clean up the printer list in the ini files.
    >>
    >> I can never remember where to find a copy though...
    >>
    >> Aha! Knew it was somewhere in my rather lengthy, messy bookmarks
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.merlin.zolotek.net/os2/pmfax/prndrv.exe
    >>
    >>
    >> Just enter prndrv at the commend line for instructions :-)
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete

    >
    > That site is not open today. I was able to look into it yesterday, but
    > not today. And of course, I couldn't see *all* of the fun stuff that was
    > there yesterday, so I tried to go back to it today.
    >
    > Private site? Only temporary downloading ability?
    >
    >



    Sorry, no real idea... maybe the server is down for a while.

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread