Purpose of some directories on boot drive - OS2

This is a discussion on Purpose of some directories on boot drive - OS2 ; Hello, I want to strip down an existing installation of a system. Therefore I'd like to know what the following directories are used for and wether they can be deleted. The system shall run a given set of applications, no ...

  1. Purpose of some directories on boot drive

    Hello,

    I want to strip down an existing installation of a system.
    Therefore I'd like to know what the following directories are used for
    and wether they can be deleted. The system shall run a given set of
    applications, no fancy stuff required (DOS support and MMOS2 already
    removed).

    \CID Installation over LAN? Not used?
    \DMISL Desktop Management Interface?
    What's that good for?
    \IBMVESA VESA stuff? Is that used for something?
    \OS2\APPS Games, EPM, Pulse, PMSeek, PicView.
    Can be removed if not used?
    \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY Is empty ...
    \IBMINST ???
    \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK Not used here
    \OS2\PDPSI ???
    \OS2\SYSTEM\RAS ???
    \OS2\SYSTEM\TRACE ???
    \OS2\INSTALL I assume there is a lot of unused stuff
    in this directory, but deleting it would
    kill the reset to VGA option?

    Kind regards
    Stefan

  2. Re: Purpose of some directories on boot drive

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to strip down an existing installation of a system.
    > Therefore I'd like to know what the following directories are used for
    > and wether they can be deleted. The system shall run a given set of
    > applications, no fancy stuff required (DOS support and MMOS2 already
    > removed).
    >
    > \CID Installation over LAN? Not used?
    > \DMISL Desktop Management Interface?
    > What's that good for?
    > \IBMVESA VESA stuff? Is that used for something?
    > \OS2\APPS Games, EPM, Pulse, PMSeek, PicView.
    > Can be removed if not used?
    > \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY Is empty ...
    > \IBMINST ???
    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK Not used here
    > \OS2\PDPSI ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\RAS ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\TRACE ???
    > \OS2\INSTALL I assume there is a lot of unused stuff
    > in this directory, but deleting it would
    > kill the reset to VGA option?
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Stefan

    RAS stands for Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability. IBM used
    to tout RAS on multiple platforms, including the mainframe. I believe
    that the TRACE directory is related to a degree. I have some "dumps" in
    my copy of that directory from as recently as a couple of months ago.
    Some of the .DOC files mention CONFIG.SYS statements that are related.

    By experimentation, I see that OS2\PDPSI\PMDF\PMDF.EXE starts a dump
    facility.

    You aren't likely to use any of this stuff, but if you need it, it won't
    be nice that it has been removed.

    This is just a user's viewpoint, not an expert's.

    Disk space is so abundant that it is not worth removing this stuff, in
    my opinion. Just ignore it!

  3. Re: Purpose of some directories on boot drive

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Colin Campbell wrote:

    :>Stefan Pelz wrote:
    :>> Hello,
    :>>
[...]
    :>
    :>By experimentation, I see that OS2\PDPSI\PMDF\PMDF.EXE starts a dump facility.
    :>
    :>You aren't likely to use any of this stuff, but if you need it, it won't be
    :>nice that it has been removed.
    :>
    :>This is just a user's viewpoint, not an expert's.
    :>
    :>Disk space is so abundant that it is not worth removing this stuff, in my
    :>opinion. Just ignore it!
    :>

    Quite agree with Colin. If you really want to get rid of stuff you can
    experiment by renaming the directory (or copying it elsewhere) provided
    you have an alternate boot up your sleeve (eg on DVD) to put it back,

    --
    Barry Landy Email: Remove nospam in from address
    192, Gilbert Road, Cambridge CB4 3PB

  4. Re: Purpose of some directories on boot drive

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to strip down an existing installation of a system.
    > Therefore I'd like to know what the following directories are used for
    > and wether they can be deleted. The system shall run a given set of
    > applications, no fancy stuff required (DOS support and MMOS2 already
    > removed).
    >
    > \CID Installation over LAN? Not used?
    > \DMISL Desktop Management Interface?
    > What's that good for?
    > \IBMVESA VESA stuff? Is that used for something?
    > \OS2\APPS Games, EPM, Pulse, PMSeek, PicView.
    > Can be removed if not used?
    > \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY Is empty ...
    > \IBMINST ???
    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK Not used here
    > \OS2\PDPSI ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\RAS ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\TRACE ???
    > \OS2\INSTALL I assume there is a lot of unused stuff
    > in this directory, but deleting it would
    > kill the reset to VGA option?
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Stefan

    Here is a copy of my minimal CONFIG.SYS file. As you can see, this is
    setup to boot only in text-mode, but by changing the CONFIG.SYS file, it
    can also be changed to boot-up with PMSHELL and provide a GUI interface.

    One can re-move so many DLL files and programs files, if one does not
    plan to use them.

    My CONFIG.SYS includes the FAT32 file system support, so it is setup to
    use the CODEPAGE and LOCAL directories, etc. If you need Unicode support
    (required for FAT32 and JFS), you need these supporting directories and
    their files, along with the UNICODE.SYS driver. Otherwise these
    directories can be removed.

    My CONFIG.SYS is setup to provide DOS support. But, this can be removed
    also by editing the CONFIG.SYS file.

    Here is CONFIG.SYS was setup by the BOOTOS2 program.

    Here is my small CONFIG.SYS file:

    **********************

    PROTSHELL=\OS2\BOS2SHL.EXE

    SET OS2_SHELL=\OS2\4OS2.EXE

    SET COMSPEC=\OS2\4OS2.EXE

    MEMMAN=NOSWAP,PROTECT

    CODEPAGE=850

    DEVINFO=KBD,US,\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP

    DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP

    LIBPATH=.;H:\OS2\DLL;H:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE;H:\OS2\MDO S;

    SET PATH=H:\OS2;H:\OS2\MDOS

    SET DPATH=H:\OS2;H:\OS2\MDOS

    SET PROMPT=[$P$G]

    SET LANG=en_US

    SET ULSPath=H:\OS2\DLL;H:\LANGUAGE

    SET LOCPATH=H:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE

    BUFFERS=96

    IOPL=NO

    SET KEYS=ON

    DISKCACHE=D,LW

    BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS

    BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD /A:0 /FORCE:1 /U:0 /F:1.44MB /U:1 /F:1.44MB /DAPM

    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /V /!BIOS

    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /RF

    BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD

    BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:1 /FLOPPIES:0

    PROTECTONLY=NO

    FCBS=16,8

    RMSIZE=638

    DOS=HIGH,UMB

    SHELL=H:\OS2\MDOS\4DOS.COM H:\OS2\MDOS /P

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VEMM.SYS 2048

    DEVICE=\OS2\TESTCFG.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VXMS.SYS /UMB

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VDPMI.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VDPX.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VVGA.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VCDROM.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\POINTDD.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\MOUSE.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\OS2CDROM.SYS /Q

    DEVICE=\OS2\DOS.SYS

    DEVICE=\OS2\UNICODE.SYS

    IFS=\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:512

    IFS=\OS2\JFS.IFS /CACHE:1024 /LAZYWRITE:16,64,2 /AC:K

    IFS=\OS2\CDFS.IFS /W /Q

    IFS=\OS2\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:1024 /H

    RUN=\OS2\USBMSDD.EXE

    RUN=\OS2\BOS2REXX.EXE

    RUN=\OS2\CACHE.EXE /READAHEAD:ON /LAZY:3

    CALL=\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE /D:4000 /B:2000 /M:64000 /F

  5. Re: Purpose of some directories on boot drive

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:42:59 UTC, "Stefan Pelz"
    wrote:

    > I want to strip down an existing installation of a system.
    > Therefore I'd like to know what the following directories are used for
    > and wether they can be deleted. The system shall run a given set of
    > applications, no fancy stuff required (DOS support and MMOS2 already
    > removed).
    >
    > \CID Installation over LAN? Not used?
    > \IBMINST ???

    These two directories are used by the OS/2 (and subsidiary product)
    install programs. They write some stuff here - response files used
    during initial installation, for instance - and the selective network
    installers use them (or at least the second one) as well. (Note that
    in eComStation, we don't use the OS/2 front-end installer, so these
    directories aren't present to begin with.)

    The CID directory can also be used by the LAN CID Utility, if you
    ever use that (though I assume you don't).

    > \IBMVESA VESA stuff? Is that used for something?

    Something to do with video, but I really don't know what.

    > \OS2\APPS Games, EPM, Pulse, PMSeek, PicView.
    > Can be removed if not used?

    Better to selectively uninstall the contents. Once the directory is
    empty you can probably delete it.

    > \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY Is empty ...

    Dunno.

    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK Not used here

    Again, selectively uninstall the disk utility before remove this.

    > \DMISL Desktop Management Interface?
    > What's that good for?
    > \OS2\PDPSI ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\RAS ???
    > \OS2\SYSTEM\TRACE ???

    If you want to get rid of these, open your 'Install Features'
    folder (Google if you don't know how to find it), go into the
    "Feature Install Base" object, and uninstall "Problem Determination
    Tools", and the "Serviceability and Diagnostic Aids" stuff.

    However, you will lose the ability to run trace, PMDF, and some
    other rarely-used but occasionally useful analysis tools.

    > \OS2\INSTALL I assume there is a lot of unused stuff
    > in this directory, but deleting it would
    > kill the reset to VGA option?

    There's also a lot of stuff in here that DOES still get used, like
    syslevel files, selective installer(s), emergency boot options, etc.
    Don't mess with it, is my advice.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex