screen01.sys - OS2

This is a discussion on screen01.sys - OS2 ; Hello all, I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting? Do I remember right that the search sequence is "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ? File ...

  1. screen01.sys

    Hello all,

    I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and
    the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting?
    Do I remember right that the search sequence is
    "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ?

    File dates are 09.09.96 and 03.12.03, bldlevel 9.23 and 14.95, respectively.

    Can I assume that newer is better?

    Regards
    Stefan

  2. Re: screen01.sys

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and
    > the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting?
    > Do I remember right that the search sequence is
    > "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ?
    >
    > File dates are 09.09.96 and 03.12.03, bldlevel 9.23 and 14.95, respectively.

    Same here, except that the dates are different.
    15.01.02 (14.087) and 15.09.00 (14.040) respectively.

    I wonder where the different versions come from. I did not find any of
    them in the fixpacks.

    > Can I assume that newer is better?

    Maybe.

    Marcel

  3. Re: screen01.sys

    Sir:

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and
    > the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting?
    > Do I remember right that the search sequence is
    > "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ?
    >
    > File dates are 09.09.96 and 03.12.03, bldlevel 9.23 and 14.95, respectively.
    >
    > Can I assume that newer is better?

    You updated a Warp 4 system to one of the MCP? The build level of 9.xxx
    is a Warp 4 pre fp 13 system. The build level of 14.xxx indicates a
    post fp 12 system.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: screen01.sys

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and
    >> the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting?
    >> Do I remember right that the search sequence is
    >> "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ?
    >>
    >> File dates are 09.09.96 and 03.12.03, bldlevel 9.23 and 14.95,
    >> respectively.
    >>
    >> Can I assume that newer is better?

    > You updated a Warp 4 system to one of the MCP? The build level of 9.xxx
    > is a Warp 4 pre fp 13 system. The build level of 14.xxx indicates a
    > post fp 12 system.

    So which one gets loaded so the other can be deleted?

  5. Re: screen01.sys

    Sir:

    Leo Tick wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Stefan Pelz wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> I have two different screen01.sys files here, one located in "\OS2" and
    >>> the other in "\OS2\BOOT". Which one is taken while booting?
    >>> Do I remember right that the search sequence is
    >>> "\" -> "\OS2" -> "\OS2\BOOT" ?
    >>>
    >>> File dates are 09.09.96 and 03.12.03, bldlevel 9.23 and 14.95,
    >>> respectively.
    >>>
    >>> Can I assume that newer is better?

    >> You updated a Warp 4 system to one of the MCP? The build level of
    >> 9.xxx is a Warp 4 pre fp 13 system. The build level of 14.xxx
    >> indicates a post fp 12 system.

    > So which one gets loaded so the other can be deleted?

    Which system is being used? That like asking me to know which fixpack
    level that is desired. Pick one and delete the other. Stefan knows
    which fixpack level he is running. Pick accordingly.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: screen01.sys

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:46:44 -0500, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >>> You updated a Warp 4 system to one of the MCP? The build level of
    >>> 9.xxx is a Warp 4 pre fp 13 system. The build level of 14.xxx
    >>> indicates a post fp 12 system.

    >> So which one gets loaded so the other can be deleted?

    >Which system is being used? That like asking me to know which fixpack
    >level that is desired. Pick one and delete the other. Stefan knows
    >which fixpack level he is running. Pick accordingly.

    It's Warp 4 FP 15. I've used UpdCD to add the fixpacks to the original Warp 4 CD and installed from scratch.
    Perhaps screen01.sys was updated when installing Scitech-DD?

    If 14.xxx is the correct file for FP 15, then copying this one to \OS2\BOOT (I prefer to have the drivers there) and deleting the
    file in \OS2 would do, right?

    Kind regards
    Stefan

  7. Re: screen01.sys

    Sir:

    Stefan Pelz wrote:

    >>> So which one gets loaded so the other can be deleted?

    >> Which system is being used? That like asking me to know which fixpack
    >> level that is desired. Pick one and delete the other. Stefan knows
    >> which fixpack level he is running. Pick accordingly.

    > It's Warp 4 FP 15. I've used UpdCD to add the fixpacks to the original Warp 4 CD and installed from scratch.
    > Perhaps screen01.sys was updated when installing Scitech-DD?
    >
    > If 14.xxx is the correct file for FP 15, then copying this one to \OS2\BOOT (I prefer to have the drivers there) and deleting the
    > file in \OS2 would do, right?

    Yes
    --
    Bill