MotherBoard - OS2

This is a discussion on MotherBoard - OS2 ; Hello World, I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install. (ethernet, sound.. etc etc) So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro ...

  1. MotherBoard

    Hello World,

    I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    this type of M/B.
    Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    Thks for information.

    K.

  2. Re: MotherBoard

    Le mar, 31 jul 2007 16:58:58 UTC, Kelbel a
    écrit:

    > Hello World,
    >
    > I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    > choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    > (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    > So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    > devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    > this type of M/B.

    I have an Asus A8n-vm board. Just watch-out for those "onboard"
    cards like the ethernet and sound boards. They didn't work for me and
    I had to put it my own cards and disable the onboard ones.

    --
    Salut,

    Michel (sur eComStation 1.2 / Warp 4.52)
    ICQ #13376913
    http://pages.infinit.net/exovede

  3. Re: MotherBoard

    On 07/31/07 12:58 pm Kelbel wrote:

    > I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    > choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    > (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    > So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    > devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    > this type of M/B.
    > Maybe there'd be other choices ?

    I am writing this on a machine with an Asus A8N-E motherboard and
    dual--core AMD 64 X2 processor. All the on-board devices are working
    (USB, sound, and networking), as are both cores of the CPU, but I'm not
    sure that all those features would work with out-of-the-box OS/2 4.52.
    Unfortunately, A8N-E motherboards are difficult to find these days
    (except used).

    I also tried an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, but it will not run if I enable
    networking.

    Perce

  4. Re: MotherBoard

    Kelbel wrote:
    > Hello World,
    >
    > I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    > choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    > (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    > So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    > devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    > this type of M/B.
    > Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    > Thks for information.

    I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The onboard sound and onboard NIC both
    work fine as do both cores on the Athlon X2 processor. This is a Socket
    939 motherboard, though, so it might be hard to still find one. I
    haven't installed Warp 4.52 in many years, though, because of hardware
    conflicts between the installer and the hardware. Instead I've used
    XCOPY /H/O/T/S/E/R/V to copy an existing install from another hard
    drive. In my case, I have a base install that I made a long time ago on
    a simple Pentium 133 system and just use that for the new install and
    then update it and add drivers and such. Or, if you already have a Warp
    4.52 install, just copy that and change the drivers to match the new
    hardware.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  5. Re: MotherBoard

    OK Thks to Michel, Percival a David for their info. Base install on an
    old machine & then xcopy on the new one seems great. I'll try this.

    Thks again

    K.

  6. Re: MotherBoard

    In <13b1h4agdojja1d@corp.supernews.com>, "David T. Johnson" writes:
    >Kelbel wrote:
    >> Hello World,
    >>
    >> I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    >> choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    >> (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    >> So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    >> devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    >> this type of M/B.
    >> Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    >> Thks for information.

    >I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The onboard sound and onboard NIC both
    >work fine as do both cores on the Athlon X2 processor. This is a Socket
    >939 motherboard, though, so it might be hard to still find one. I
    >haven't installed Warp 4.52 in many years, though, because of hardware
    >conflicts between the installer and the hardware. Instead I've used
    >XCOPY /H/O/T/S/E/R/V to copy an existing install from another hard
    >drive. In my case, I have a base install that I made a long time ago on
    >a simple Pentium 133 system and just use that for the new install and
    >then update it and add drivers and such. Or, if you already have a Warp
    >4.52 install, just copy that and change the drivers to match the new
    >hardware.

    When you say xcopy an existing install; do you mean to a second drive with a
    letter higher than C:, then move that drive to a new box and watch LVM reassign
    it to C:?

  7. Re: MotherBoard

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > In <13b1h4agdojja1d@corp.supernews.com>, "David T. Johnson" writes:
    >
    >>Kelbel wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello World,
    >>>
    >>>I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    >>>choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    >>>(ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    >>>So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    >>>devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    >>>this type of M/B.
    >>>Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    >>>Thks for information.

    >>I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The onboard sound and onboard NIC both
    >>work fine as do both cores on the Athlon X2 processor. This is a Socket
    >>939 motherboard, though, so it might be hard to still find one. I
    >>haven't installed Warp 4.52 in many years, though, because of hardware
    >>conflicts between the installer and the hardware. Instead I've used
    >>XCOPY /H/O/T/S/E/R/V to copy an existing install from another hard
    >>drive. In my case, I have a base install that I made a long time ago on
    >>a simple Pentium 133 system and just use that for the new install and
    >>then update it and add drivers and such. Or, if you already have a Warp
    >>4.52 install, just copy that and change the drivers to match the new
    >>hardware.

    > When you say xcopy an existing install; do you mean to a second drive with a
    > letter higher than C:, then move that drive to a new box and watch LVM reassign
    > it to C:?

    Note: For XCOPY to work, you must boot from floppy disk or from a
    maintenance partition. There as some system files that XCOPY will not
    be able to access if the partition is active.

    --
    Jack Wise

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

  8. Re: MotherBoard

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > In <13b1h4agdojja1d@corp.supernews.com>, "David T. Johnson" writes:
    >> Kelbel wrote:
    >>> Hello World,
    >>>
    >>> I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as to
    >>> choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    >>> (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    >>> So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    >>> devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    >>> this type of M/B.
    >>> Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    >>> Thks for information.

    >> I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The onboard sound and onboard NIC both
    >> work fine as do both cores on the Athlon X2 processor. This is a Socket
    >> 939 motherboard, though, so it might be hard to still find one. I
    >> haven't installed Warp 4.52 in many years, though, because of hardware
    >> conflicts between the installer and the hardware. Instead I've used
    >> XCOPY /H/O/T/S/E/R/V to copy an existing install from another hard
    >> drive. In my case, I have a base install that I made a long time ago on
    >> a simple Pentium 133 system and just use that for the new install and
    >> then update it and add drivers and such. Or, if you already have a Warp
    >> 4.52 install, just copy that and change the drivers to match the new
    >> hardware.

    > When you say xcopy an existing install; do you mean to a second drive with a
    > letter higher than C:, then move that drive to a new box and watch LVM reassign
    > it to C:?

    I back up my drives to a backup hard disk that I plug in temporarily.
    My system has drives C, D, and E. I back these up to three volumes on
    the backup hard disk that I previously created and assigned letter R, S,
    and T with LVM as in:

    C ==> R
    D ==> S
    E ==> T

    The drive letters stay the same until they are changed with LVM. Then I
    backup each volume (with three seperate OS2 windows) as in:

    xcopy C: R: /H/O/T/S/E/R/V
    xcopy D: S: /H/O/T/S/E/R/V
    xcopy E: T: /H/O/T/S/E/R/V

    My drives are pretty big so the backup takes several hours (longer if
    you format the backup drives first) so I run these at night.

    When these have finished, you will have three clone volumes on the
    backup hardware. Say your OS/2 boot volume is 'D.' The D volume is
    backed up onto 'S' so 'S' will not boot until you use LVM to change its
    drive letter to 'D' since the OS2 desktop expects to boot from 'D.'
    There are several ways to change the drive letter. Sometimes, I'll run
    the pm LVM from the booted desktop and change the drive letters of both
    mounted drives and then reboot so I'll be booting from the backup drive.
    Or you can boot from utility disks and run LVM VIO session from disk 4
    and use that to change the drive letters. That's what you have to do if
    your running from the backup in an 'emergency.'

    The other poster is sort of right that a couple of files don't get
    copied if you xcopy the OS2 boot drive from a PM OS/2 window but the
    files that don't get copied are minor ones that the system recreates
    when you reboot. I've xcopyed the os/2 boot drive from the pm os2
    window many times and the resultant copy has always been perfectly
    usable for every function. However, if you are worried about that, you
    can boot from utility disks and run xcopy (copy it to the utility disk
    first) from the command prompt. The drawbacks to that are that you can
    only do one volume at a time so you can't do multiple volumes overnight
    and you can't use your system for anything else while it's doing the
    xcopy. It's better to backup slightly less than perfection IMO than it
    is to not backup at all because the system wasn't available.
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  9. Re: MotherBoard

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Kelbel wrote:
    >
    >> Hello World,
    >>
    >> I want to (deeply) upgrade an old desktop box, and I'm hesitating as
    >> to choose a MotherBoard on which I'd be 100% sure OS/2 V4.52 can install.
    >> (ethernet, sound.. etc etc)
    >> So far Asus A7n8-x seems convenient fro me, (32 bits cpu, no Raid
    >> devices..) but I'd like to know the advice of people currently using
    >> this type of M/B.
    >> Maybe there'd be other choices ?
    >> Thks for information.

    > I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The onboard sound and onboard NIC both
    > work fine as do both cores on the Athlon X2 processor. This is a Socket
    > 939 motherboard, though, so it might be hard to still find one. I
    > haven't installed Warp 4.52 in many years, though, because of hardware
    > conflicts between the installer and the hardware. Instead I've used
    > XCOPY /H/O/T/S/E/R/V to copy an existing install from another hard
    > drive. In my case, I have a base install that I made a long time ago on
    > a simple Pentium 133 system and just use that for the new install and
    > then update it and add drivers and such. Or, if you already have a Warp
    > 4.52 install, just copy that and change the drivers to match the new
    > hardware.

    OK; further to Mr Johnson valuable advice I 'cloned' an existing OS/2
    V4.52 partition on the ASUS A7n8X-X motherboard. works fine except for
    the ETH driver I can not find. The chipset is Realtek 8201BL PHY.
    None of the available RTL drivers found on Chuck McKinnis MAC repository
    (os2warp.be) can activate that chip. Someone using the same RTL chip
    could help me finding this driver?

    Thks in advance
    K.

  10. Re: MotherBoard

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:11:07 UTC, Kelbel wrote:

    > Someone using the same RTL chip could help me finding this driver?

    The chip is relatively uninterresting, because as you stated yourself:
    it's just a PHY. What you really need is a network driver for your
    mainboard chipset. From the model name, I would guess that it's some
    kind of NVIDIA. If so, try this:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...veth-0.0.3.zip

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  11. Re: MotherBoard

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:11:07 UTC, Kelbel wrote:
    >

    >> Someone using the same RTL chip could help me finding this driver?

    > The chip is relatively uninterresting, because as you stated yourself:
    > it's just a PHY. What you really need is a network driver for your
    > mainboard chipset. From the model name, I would guess that it's some
    > kind of NVIDIA. If so, try this:
    >
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...veth-0.0.3.zip

    ok, thks for info.. works great now
    many thanks