trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare? - OS2

This is a discussion on trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare? - OS2 ; After many years away, I'd like to setup OS/2 on one of my systems to play around. I have VMWare server 1.0.3 installed -- the latest free version of VMWare. Host OS is Ubuntu 7.04 on one computer, and Windows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    After many years away, I'd like to setup OS/2 on one of my systems to
    play around. I have VMWare server 1.0.3 installed -- the latest free
    version of VMWare. Host OS is Ubuntu 7.04 on one computer, and
    Windows XP on a different computer. In both cases, I cannot get past
    disk #2 (third disk) from my Warp 4 installation. I always get a trap
    shortly after the bootup splash screen. I've now tried OS/2 Warp 4,
    Warp 4.52, and eCS v1.2.1.

    For eCS, the trap is in ibm1s506 or the Dani driver (depending on
    which one I select from the eCS boot menu), or ...os2krnl I think?
    I'd have to try again and record the exact location as it currently
    escapes me. The trap in Warp v4.52 and eCS v1.2.1 was very simillar I
    believe.

    For Warp v4.00 the trap was in the floppy driver. I upgraded
    ibm1flpy.* from an old system I have hanging around and the trap has
    simply moved slightly later in the boot process. (I can re-run the
    whole thing and record the exact locations and traps if anyone thinks
    they can help debug the problem.)

    Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    Thanks,

    Stephane Charette
    (former author of DCITU for OS/2...)

  2. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Stephane Charette wrote:
    > After many years away, I'd like to setup OS/2 on one of my systems to
    > play around. I have VMWare server 1.0.3 installed -- the latest free
    > version of VMWare. Host OS is Ubuntu 7.04 on one computer, and
    > Windows XP on a different computer. In both cases, I cannot get past
    > disk #2 (third disk) from my Warp 4 installation. I always get a trap
    > shortly after the bootup splash screen. I've now tried OS/2 Warp 4,
    > Warp 4.52, and eCS v1.2.1.
    >
    > For eCS, the trap is in ibm1s506 or the Dani driver (depending on
    > which one I select from the eCS boot menu), or ...os2krnl I think?
    > I'd have to try again and record the exact location as it currently
    > escapes me. The trap in Warp v4.52 and eCS v1.2.1 was very simillar I
    > believe.
    >
    > For Warp v4.00 the trap was in the floppy driver. I upgraded
    > ibm1flpy.* from an old system I have hanging around and the trap has
    > simply moved slightly later in the boot process. (I can re-run the
    > whole thing and record the exact locations and traps if anyone thinks
    > they can help debug the problem.)
    >
    > Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    > installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    There's none. VMWare is the worst of all PC emulators that I know of
    w.r.t. the completeness of the emulated environment. No matter what you
    try, sooner or later you'll encounter some kind of segmentation error.
    While other emulators are up to the task of keeping OS/2 happy, VMWare
    just isn't good enough. Trust me, I've tried hardly to reach this goal
    with VMWare Workstation 6.

    Ciao,
    Dani

  3. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Stephane Charette wrote:

    > Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    > installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    For Windows, get VirtualPC from Microsoft. Also free, and
    works well with OS/2.

    For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    http://www.virtualbox.org

    Bob Plyler

  4. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:21:13 UTC, Stephane Charette
    wrote:

    > After many years away, I'd like to setup OS/2 on one of my systems to
    > play around. I have VMWare server 1.0.3 installed -- the latest free
    > version of VMWare. Host OS is Ubuntu 7.04 on one computer, and
    > Windows XP on a different computer. In both cases, I cannot get past
    > disk #2 (third disk) from my Warp 4 installation. I always get a trap
    > shortly after the bootup splash screen. I've now tried OS/2 Warp 4,
    > Warp 4.52, and eCS v1.2.1.
    >
    > For eCS, the trap is in ibm1s506 or the Dani driver (depending on
    > which one I select from the eCS boot menu), or ...os2krnl I think?
    > I'd have to try again and record the exact location as it currently
    > escapes me. The trap in Warp v4.52 and eCS v1.2.1 was very simillar I
    > believe.
    >
    > For Warp v4.00 the trap was in the floppy driver. I upgraded
    > ibm1flpy.* from an old system I have hanging around and the trap has
    > simply moved slightly later in the boot process. (I can re-run the
    > whole thing and record the exact locations and traps if anyone thinks
    > they can help debug the problem.)
    >
    > Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    > installed in a recent VMWare environment?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stephane Charette
    > (former author of DCITU for OS/2...)

    I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    Xandros.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  5. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Bob Plyler wrote:

    > For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    > http://www.virtualbox.org

    Their site says that "VT-x hardware virtualization support" is required.
    Do you know which CPUs offer that?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:40:18 UTC, Bob Plyler
    wrote:

    > Stephane Charette wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    > > installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    > For Windows, get VirtualPC from Microsoft. Also free, and
    > works well with OS/2.
    >
    > For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    > http://www.virtualbox.org

    With VPC 2007, OS/2 additions are included that allow the cursor to
    freely move in/out of the window without grabbing and releasing it. A
    definate improvement. (At least with ECS 1.2).

    I need to try one of the other emulators, sometime, with Linux as a
    host to see if they have improved enough.

  7. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:56:40 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Bob Plyler wrote:
    > >
    > > For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    > > http://www.virtualbox.org
    > >

    > Their site says that "VT-x hardware virtualization support" is required.
    > Do you know which CPUs offer that?

    I believe, in general, the Intel Core Duo (and Core 2 Duo) will
    support this, as well as appropriately modern AMD CPUs. My laptop has
    this CPU, but the last time I checked it, it apparently was disabled.
    BIOS? Windows?

  8. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    > Xandros.

    Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  9. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Michael Lueck wrote:

    > > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    >> Xandros.

    > Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    Formerly known as twoOStwo, WarpVirtual, and SVista.

  10. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    > > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    >> Xandros.

    > Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    Most Impressive!!!

    Can not seem to detect the Intel Pro100 with either the OS/2 or DOS NDIS driver, though. So in search of the RTL driver and see if their standard NIC works.

    But I was able to restore my fully customized eCS 1.2R image, and it booted up. The free version of SNAP even came right up on what ever graphic chip they are emulating.

    "I am done fighting with vmWare!!!"

    Thanks!

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  11. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:28:18 UTC, Michael Lueck
    wrote:

    > Michael Lueck wrote:
    > > Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    > > > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    > >> Xandros.

    > > Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    > Most Impressive!!!
    >
    > Can not seem to detect the Intel Pro100 with either the OS/2 or DOS NDIS driver, though. So in search of the RTL driver and see if their standard NIC works.

    Use the bridged network option and the Realtek 8029 driver.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  12. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Michael Lueck wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    >> > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and

    >>> Xandros.

    >> Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    > Most Impressive!!!
    >
    > Can not seem to detect the Intel Pro100 with either the OS/2 or DOS NDIS
    > driver, though. So in search of the RTL driver and see if their standard
    > NIC works.
    >
    > But I was able to restore my fully customized eCS 1.2R image, and it
    > booted up. The free version of SNAP even came right up on what ever
    > graphic chip they are emulating.
    >
    > "I am done fighting with vmWare!!!"
    >
    > Thanks!

    Check out this site for drivers (including os/2 drivers)

    http://www.dreamlandbbs.com/files/gfd/sysnet/index.html

    --
    Jack Wise

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

  13. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Chuck McKinnis wrote:

    > Use the bridged network option and the Realtek 8029 driver.

    Yes, I saw that the 8029 was the specific chip utilized. However...

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=et&q...gle+otsing&lr=

    Certainly does not reveal anything very promising. I suppose I should check the Parallels web site.

    None of the NIC's mentioned in the tech support are of that number.

    I sure wish it had successfully been able to use the Pro100 NIC in the PC I installed it on. That would have been slick-O.

    Anyway, onward...

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  14. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Anyway, onward...

    I ended up finding the drivers. Google just did not see the page on their site.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  15. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 02:35:29 UTC, Michael Lueck
    wrote:

    > Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    >
    > > Use the bridged network option and the Realtek 8029 driver.

    > Yes, I saw that the 8029 was the specific chip utilized. However...
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=et&q...gle+otsing&lr=
    >
    > Certainly does not reveal anything very promising. I suppose I should check the Parallels web site.
    >
    > None of the NIC's mentioned in the tech support are of that number.
    >
    > I sure wish it had successfully been able to use the Pro100 NIC in the PC I installed it on. That would have been slick-O.
    >
    > Anyway, onward...

    The 8029 driver shipped with eCS 1.2r works, or you can install from the
    tools iso shipped with Parallels.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  16. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:40:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.bugs, Bob Plyler
    wrote:

    > Stephane Charette wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    > > installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    > For Windows, get VirtualPC from Microsoft. Also free, and
    > works well with OS/2.
    >
    > For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    > http://www.virtualbox.org

    Is the old Connectix VPC the only VM technology available to run a virtual PC on
    OS/2 as the host o/s?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  17. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:40:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.bugs, Bob Plyler
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Stephane Charette wrote:
    >>> Anyone know the trick to getting some flavour (any!) of Warp v4+
    >>> installed in a recent VMWare environment?

    >> For Windows, get VirtualPC from Microsoft. Also free, and
    >> works well with OS/2.
    >>
    >> For Linux, you could try VirtualBox
    >> http://www.virtualbox.org

    > Is the old Connectix VPC the only VM technology available to run a virtual PC on
    > OS/2 as the host o/s?

    There's Innoteks VirtualBox (virtualbox.org) though you have to build it
    yourself (http://virtualbox.org/wiki/OS/2%20build%20instructions).
    It is GPL though
    Dave

  18. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    Steve Wendt schrieb:
    > Michael Lueck wrote:
    >
    >> > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    >>> Xandros.

    >> Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    > Formerly known as twoOStwo, WarpVirtual, and SVista.

    I am running here Parallels on openSUSE 10.2 and any flavour of OS/2
    runs smoothly as a guest.
    Unfortunately Parralels is not yet available for 64-bit (Ubuntu 7.04)

    Therefore I am wondring if anybody successfully installed OS/2 in
    VirtualBox, which just moved to 1.4.0?

    Regards,
    Ingo

  19. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:09:18 UTC, Ingo wrote:

    > >> Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)

    > > Formerly known as twoOStwo, WarpVirtual, and SVista.

    Yes, and the same company that frustrated having SVISTA
    developed further as an eCS hosted emulator ...

    Their products are pretty good technically though :-)
    I use Parallels on the MAC running eCS 1.2R as guest
    with 1280x1024 virtual screen (panorame vesa driver).

    > I am running here Parallels on openSUSE 10.2 and any flavour of OS/2
    > runs smoothly as a guest.
    > Unfortunately Parralels is not yet available for 64-bit (Ubuntu 7.04)
    >
    > Therefore I am wondring if anybody successfully installed OS/2 in
    > VirtualBox, which just moved to 1.4.0?

    I will be looking into that, but using the MAC hosted version,
    unfortunately that is still at BETA level. Not sure if I will play
    with that or wait for a GA one ...

    As much as I like the Parellels software, I would prefer
    a solution from another vendor for political reasons :-)

    I also liked VPC on OS2 very much, which was an Innotek
    product just like VirtualBox is, so they know their business.

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  20. Re: trap when installing OS/2 within VMWare?

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:09:18 +0200, Ingo wrote:

    :>Steve Wendt schrieb:
    :>> Michael Lueck wrote:
    :>>
    :>>> > I have eCS 1.2 refresh running under Parallels on both Debian and
    :>>>> Xandros.
    :>>>
    :>>> Parallels? "Google, here I come...!" ;-)
    :>>
    :>> Formerly known as twoOStwo, WarpVirtual, and SVista.
    :>
    :>I am running here Parallels on openSUSE 10.2 and any flavour of OS/2
    :>runs smoothly as a guest.
    :>Unfortunately Parralels is not yet available for 64-bit (Ubuntu 7.04)
    :>
    :>Therefore I am wondring if anybody successfully installed OS/2 in
    :>VirtualBox, which just moved to 1.4.0?

    I tried with Virtualbox on XP to boot the eCS demo CD, but if aborts quite
    quickly with the type of screen you see in popuplog.os2; unfortunately the VM
    reboots then so quickly it is very hard to see where it failed, but the text
    could be "resource..."

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast