TCPIP printing - OS2

This is a discussion on TCPIP printing - OS2 ; After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple printers. Thanks in advamce. Clint Bailey...

  1. TCPIP printing

    After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    printers. Thanks in advamce.

    Clint Bailey

  2. Re: TCPIP printing

    You need to define the additional printer(s). Are they networked
    printers or shared via one of the systems on your network?
    I have two printers, each with a print server (Hawking & Epson) which
    are accessible from 5 systems, 3 via SLPR on eCS and the other 2 vis
    Windoze XP. The print servers provide an interface between the
    parallel port and the network. Each is about the size of a deck of
    cards.

    --
    Tom Brown, Catherder

  3. Re: TCPIP printing

    They're both networked. I can get to both of them on thee network from
    Windows. One is a HP2100 and the other is a Lexmark Optra C710.
    Thanks
    Clint

    Tom Brown wrote:
    > You need to define the additional printer(s). Are they networked
    > printers or shared via one of the systems on your network?
    > I have two printers, each with a print server (Hawking & Epson) which
    > are accessible from 5 systems, 3 via SLPR on eCS and the other 2 vis
    > Windoze XP. The print servers provide an interface between the
    > parallel port and the network. Each is about the size of a deck of
    > cards.
    >
    > On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:35:28 UTC, Clint Bailey
    > wrote:
    >
    >> After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    >> tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    >> printers. Thanks in advamce.
    >>
    >> Clint Bailey

  4. Re: TCPIP printing

    Clint Bailey wrote:
    > After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    > tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    > printers. Thanks in advamce.

    You should have asked sooner ;-)

    > One is a HP2100 and the other is a Lexmark Optra C710.

    They're both PCL printers, so if you can't find a specific driver for
    them Omni should work fine.

    I'm not at my OS/2 system just now, but here's roughly what you need to
    do: Create the printer with the apprporiate driver. Open "properties"
    and choose "port". select an LPD port, then open the port properties
    and plug in the printer's IP address and other optional attributes.

  5. Re: TCPIP printing

    I realized that I should have asked sooner, but nothing can help a bad
    typist who can't see.
    I have drivers for both printers, I just would like to print to either
    printer using tcpip and not the parallel port. I added the tcpip
    address and other attributes and nothing happens.
    Thanks

    Peter Flass wrote:
    > Clint Bailey wrote:
    >> After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    >> tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    >> printers. Thanks in advamce.
    >>

    > You should have asked sooner ;-)
    >
    > > One is a HP2100 and the other is a Lexmark Optra C710.

    > They're both PCL printers, so if you can't find a specific driver for
    > them Omni should work fine.
    >
    > I'm not at my OS/2 system just now, but here's roughly what you need to
    > do: Create the printer with the apprporiate driver. Open "properties"
    > and choose "port". select an LPD port, then open the port properties
    > and plug in the printer's IP address and other optional attributes.

  6. Re: TCPIP printing

    Peter Flass schrieb:

    > Clint Bailey wrote:
    > > After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    > > tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    > > printers. Thanks in advamce.
    > >

    > You should have asked sooner ;-)
    >
    > > One is a HP2100 and the other is a Lexmark Optra C710.

    > They're both PCL printers, so if you can't find a specific driver for
    > them Omni should work fine.

    If they are PCL printers, but not Postcript printers,
    then the laserjet driver is the correct one.

    Hendrik

  7. Re: TCPIP printing

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:38:30 GMT, Clint Bailey wrote:

    :> I realized that I should have asked sooner, but nothing can help a bad
    :> typist who can't see.
    :> I have drivers for both printers, I just would like to print to either
    :> printer using tcpip and not the parallel port. I added the tcpip
    :> address and other attributes and nothing happens.
    :> Thanks
    :>
    :> Peter Flass wrote:
    :> > Clint Bailey wrote:
    :> >> After months of trying I finally got my OS2 machine to print using
    :> >> tcpip. Now my question is "How do I get it to print to multiple
    :> >> printers. Thanks in advamce.
    :> >>
    :> >
    :> > You should have asked sooner ;-)
    :> >
    :> > > One is a HP2100 and the other is a Lexmark Optra C710.
    :> >
    :> > They're both PCL printers, so if you can't find a specific driver for
    :> > them Omni should work fine.
    :> >
    :> > I'm not at my OS/2 system just now, but here's roughly what you need
    :> > do: Create the printer with the apprporiate driver. Open
    "properties"
    :> > and choose "port". select an LPD port, then open the port properties
    :> > and plug in the printer's IP address and other optional attributes.
    :> >

    well, I just tried this, as directed. I filled in the IP, said I had LPT1,
    gave it my machine and user names, and test printed. I am running
    LPRPORTD.EXE and it says
    "
    LPRPORTD Version 4.1 running (DLL Version 4.1).

    Servicing 2 printer pipes.

    Printing PMINews - Re: TCPIP printing
    "
    and print, it did. So now I can disconnect my Parallel cable ...

    ok, just did that, and printed to the network printer, just fine.

    made that the default printer.

    printer a test page from DeScribe to the default printer. There was a bit
    of a lag, but it popped out just fine.

    final test: printed a block from PlanPerfect. This prints to a
    [nonexistent] Panasonic printer. From there, I dragged the job to the
    Parallel printer, and it printed. Now, I dragged it to the Network printer,
    and it told me I needed an Omni driver. That's a new one. Tried it a
    couple of more times, and now it is working. Maybe the system took a while
    to reset something.

    So, the Parallel cable will stay disconnected here.

    Peter

    Peter Wadsack

+ Reply to Thread