Setting up USB - OS2

This is a discussion on Setting up USB - OS2 ; As a newbie to USB, I have no idea how to enable support for USB ports in OS/2 and would like to use a USB memory stick. According to PCI this is my USB controller Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number ...

  1. Setting up USB

    As a newbie to USB, I have no idea how to enable support for USB ports
    in OS/2 and would like to use a USB memory stick.

    According to PCI this is my USB controller

    Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 1, Device Function 2
    Vendor 1039h Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    Device 7001h SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller
    Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
    Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
    Revision 07h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 20h
    Minimum Bus Grant 00h, Maximum Bus Latency 50h
    Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
    Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
    PCI Class Serial, type USB (OHCI)
    Subsystem ID 70011039h SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller
    (Generic ID)
    Subsystem Vendor 1039h Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    Address 0 is a Memory Address (0-4GiB) : DD103000h
    System IRQ 9, INT# D

    What do I need to do to access the USB port from OS/2?

  2. Re: Setting up USB

    Hi jp

    Running the command

    [C:\os2\boot]hcimonit.exe
    You have 2 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    You have 2 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

    would have been better but can see you have a OHCI controller.

    > PCI Class Serial, type USB (OHCI)

    > What do I need to do to access the USB port from OS/2?

    first you need to add the relevant config.sys entries, on the
    assumtion here that you have the latest version of the USB drivers
    from eComStation or IBM :-)

    ======= config.sys example =============

    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBOHCD$
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD

    ======= config.sys example =============

    Milage will vary an a few different things,
    especially as not all USB keys are the same,
    some work, some dont, all the ones I have and
    have tried have.

    Cheers
    Ian Manners

  3. Re: Setting up USB

    Hi jp

    jp wrote:
    > As a newbie to USB, I have no idea how to enable support for USB ports
    > in OS/2 and would like to use a USB memory stick.
    >
    > According to PCI this is my USB controller
    >
    > Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 1, Device Function 2
    > Vendor 1039h Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    > Device 7001h SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller
    > Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
    > Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
    > Revision 07h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 20h
    > Minimum Bus Grant 00h, Maximum Bus Latency 50h
    > Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
    > Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
    > PCI Class Serial, type USB (OHCI)
    > Subsystem ID 70011039h SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller
    > (Generic ID)
    > Subsystem Vendor 1039h Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    > Address 0 is a Memory Address (0-4GiB) : DD103000h
    > System IRQ 9, INT# D
    >
    > What do I need to do to access the USB port from OS/2?

    USB Base driver package plus drivers for whatever you may want to stick
    in the hole eg USBMouse, USBKeyboard, USBMSD (storage)...

    If you do not have access to the current USB and IDE driver packages you
    may have problems getting USB working with some devices - especially
    storage devices.

    I wrote a little frontend to help configure USB drivers which may be of
    help http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    The package includes a USB Removables FAQ, linked into the Help, that
    you may find of interest.

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread