Core 2 Duo systems? - OS2

This is a discussion on Core 2 Duo systems? - OS2 ; Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2? Don't care much about audio. Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard will take such an ancient thing Do care about ...

  1. Core 2 Duo systems?

    Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?

    Don't care much about audio.
    Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    will take such an ancient thing
    Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    Needs working USB
    At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)

    Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    will go that route if required.

    And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:49:54 -0500, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    >
    >Don't care much about audio.
    >Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    >will take such an ancient thing
    >Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    >Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    >Needs working USB
    >At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    >
    >Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    >will go that route if required.

    I'm thinking about using an Asus P5B
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...oduct_id=10459 and getting
    an ATI X850 graphics card from ebay. I think you need to have the new
    ACPI stuff to run the Core 2 Duo.

    http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.ph...tion=mb&page=4
    makes me believe it will work with eCS providing you have acess to the
    betazone.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  3. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    Hi Trevor

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    >
    > Don't care much about audio.
    > Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    > will take such an ancient thing
    > Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    > Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    > Needs working USB
    > At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    >
    > Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    > will go that route if required.
    >
    > And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    I think you may need to purchase an Upgrade to eCS1.2R *Plus* a Software
    Subscription in order to access the restricted bit of the eCS Betazone
    to obtain the ACPI package, plus any other required files, which may
    help get things working.

    The alternative is to wait for eCS2.0 which should include the necessary
    bits - of course, following the steps above would give you access to the
    current eCS2.0 beta as well.

    As regards video you may want to check out the Panorama video driver as
    I saw a post somewhere about Core Duo support. Copied from os2world.com :-

    "Panorama VESA for Core Duo notebooks - 4/27/07 @ 05:09

    From: Eugene Gorbunoff, posted on

    "OK,

    * New Panorama VESA in eComStation betazone
    Useful for owners of modern videoadapters: ATI X1600, Intel X3000 and
    NVidia.
    Whatsnew: Enables Write combine on SMP computers.

    * Requires ACPI 2.20 or higher
    * Download widescreen activators for Intel GMA and ATOMBIOS adapters.

    http://ecomstation.ru/projects/panorama/?action=down

    This driver is available via the eComStation BetaZone to customers who
    have an active Software Subscription Services.

    panorama-vesa-20070427.zip 11 kb 26/04/2007 03:36 pm
    Superfast Panorama VESA videodriver. Useful for owners of modern
    videoadapters: ATI X1600, Intel X3000 and NVidia. No need in 2D-accelerated
    drivers anymore..
    Whatsnew: Write combine is enabled on multi-core computers 20070427
    Eugene Gorbunoff

    Source: OS2VOICE"

    Note the eCS Betazone restricted access (Software Subscription required)
    in the above.

    For nic support maybe the GenMAC winwrapper will provide a solution when
    you establish what nic chipset is involved
    http://genmac.netlabs.org/site/index.xml

    Audio may be supported by uniaud
    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/uniaud114RC2

    Hope the above is of help in making your choice

    Pete

  4. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?

    Yes, me ;-)

    Mainboard: Asus P5W64WS
    CPU: Core2 Duo 6600
    Video: ATI X550
    RAM. 2GB

    Working onboard components:
    ICH7 SATA (+ 1-PATA) Danis506
    Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit patchted driver from Hobbes
    ADI 1988B Audio current Hidef Uniaud
    USB2

    Nonworking onboard components:
    Marvell 88E8052 PCI-e Lan,
    Mainboard: Asus P5W64WS
    CPU: Core2 Duo 6600
    Video: ATI X550

    Folgende onboard Komponenten funktiunieren unter OS/2:
    ICH7 SATA mit Danis506
    Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit mit gepatchtem Treiber von Hobbes
    ADI 1988B Audio mit aktuellem Hidef Uniaud

    Der Rest funktioniert zur Zeit nicht:
    Marvell 88E8052 PCI-e Lan,
    Marvell 88SE6145 SATA(Raid)
    Firewire
    Marvell 88SE6145 SATA(Raid)
    Firewire

    > Don't care much about audio.

    Audio is working but not perfectly

    > Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    > will take such an ancient thing
    > Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard

    I'm happy with the ATI X550
    It was very cheap. It s fully supported by Snap.
    And it is fanless.

    > Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more

    The board has 4 PCI-E and 2 PCI Slots

    > Needs working USB

    I do not know how well it works.
    Sometimes I connect a mouse
    Now I tried an USB-Stick and it seems to work.

    > At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)

    There is one PATA Connector on board.
    I use it with my DVD-Burner

    > Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    > will go that route if required.

    It was not possible for me to install OS/2 on it.
    Finally I copied OS/2 4.5 (with eCS SMP) from a Dual PIII.h

    > And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    Me neither. But I have one

    --
    Regards
    Stefan

  5. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    On 2007/04/28 12:56 (GMT+0100) Rodney Pont apparently typed:

    > I'm thinking about using an Asus P5B

    Before laying out your money, consider the experiences of Linux users of
    Asus products if it were to become necessary to avail yourself of
    post-purchase support of an Asus motherboard (e.g. a warranty claim):
    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html
    --
    "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the
    old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  6. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    On 04/30/07 08:21 pm Felix Miata wrote:

    >> I'm thinking about using an Asus P5B

    > Before laying out your money, consider the experiences of Linux users of
    > Asus products if it were to become necessary to avail yourself of
    > post-purchase support of an Asus motherboard (e.g. a warranty claim):
    > http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

    I've bought nothing but Asus motherboards for the last 15 years or so
    and have never had a problem. My A8N-E runs eCS 1.2R and 2.0b4 in SMP
    mode just fine.

    Perce

  7. Re: Core 2 Duo systems? Intel D975XBX2 report

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> [...]

    > the old drive out of the new machine as a backup.
    >
    > Lesson 1: update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest level before you
    > start messing around. Would have saved me a great deal of effort as the newer
    > BIOS listed an issue as solved to do with assigning the same IRQ to all devices!
    > Without the new BIOS, the boot up stalled almost immediately and appeared to be
    > hung - in fact it wasn't, it was just glacially slow and leaving the system
    > alone overnight booted it up to a command prompt. Updating both DANIS506.ADD to
    > the latest 1.7.10p from Dani and the BIOS to one from 2007-04 fixed this. The
    > problem here seems to have been to do with my Netcell SR5000 SATA RAID card as
    > diskio rates from this disk once booted reported reading at ~20KB/s.
    >
    > Getting both processors supported requires acpi.psd - os2apic.psd only finds the
    > one processor (expected from other reports). My copy of acpi.psd is 2.18 and is
    > only working in PIC mode using parameters /SMP /R /PIC /!NOD. When I get access
    > to the betazone I will try newer versions of acpi.psd to see if they help at
    > all.
    >
    > LAN chip requires an unreleased version of GenMac 2.00 to support the 82573L but
    > when that's in it seems to work. Hmm, may still need some work as I've just
    > discovered that plain NetBIOS between 2 OS/2 systems gets completely corrupted
    > data though ftp'ing things seems to be fine (md5sum of a 300MB iso image matches
    > perfectly). Weirdly I can copy from the new machine to an old one if I push from
    > the new machine but running the copy on the old machine gets corrupted data.
    > Strange. I'll probably install NetBIOS over TCPIP on the old machine and see if
    > that helps to fix this.
    >
    > I've not tried to install eCS 2.0b4 as I preferred to try to get my existing
    > boot partitions running WSeB ACP1 at XR_C005 and 6 to work without having to
    > reinstall everything and recustomise them. I did have to install SNAP 3.1.8 and
    > acpi.psd 2.1.8 and GenMac 2.00+ to get it all to work.
    >
    > USB works and reads ~20MB/s from an external USB attached hard disk.
    >
    > This Core2Duo E6420 is running at default speeds, no overclocking at all. Using
    > both processors Sysbench reports a CPU integer score approximately 4 times the
    > old AMD Athlon 2500+ so each core is about twice as fast. Video scores are about
    > twice as fast as are DIVE scores.
    >
    > Audio is untested and will probably remain so.
    > Firewire is not required and disabled in the BIOS as is the Marvell SATA RAID
    > chip (the board has 8 SATA connectors on it and I'm currently using one of them
    > so the 4 attached to the Marvell chip are not required). I've not tried to see
    > if DaniS506.add would find and run this chip.
    >
    > My Sony DVD+RW drive attached to the single PATA connector is found and is
    > usable .
    >
    > Long term stability is untested as yet as it's been a very long weekend getting

  8. Re: Core 2 Duo systems? Intel D975XBX2 report

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > LAN chip requires an unreleased version of GenMac 2.00 to support the 82573L but
    > when that's in it seems to work. Hmm, may still need some work as I've just
    > discovered that plain NetBIOS between 2 OS/2 systems gets completely corrupted
    > data though ftp'ing things seems to be fine (md5sum of a 300MB iso image matches
    > perfectly). Weirdly I can copy from the new machine to an old one if I push from
    > the new machine but running the copy on the old machine gets corrupted data.
    > Strange. I'll probably install NetBIOS over TCPIP on the old machine and see if
    > that helps to fix this.

    Sorry for the premature post. I have to try to remember, write message first,
    then send.

    Anyhow, we had intermittent network file transfer problems until we switched all
    systems to NETBIOS over TCPIP. That fixed everything. Hope it works as well
    for you.

  9. Re: Core 2 Duo systems? Intel D975XBX2 report

    Hi,

    > Anyhow, we had intermittent network file transfer problems until we
    > switched all systems to NETBIOS over TCPIP. That fixed everything.

    some time ago (years :-) ) I also had similar problems with plain
    NetBIOS, so I changed everything to NetBIOS over TCPIP too!

    I don't think Willibald can/will fix the plain NetBIOS-support in GenMAC
    because it's not clear why it's not working (maybe GenMAC, maybe
    Windows-driver, maybe OS2-kernel, ...) and mostly all other systems on
    the world are using NetBIOS over TCPIP!

    Goal is getting TCPIP-transfer fast and stable, if plain NetBIOS works
    OK, but there will not be invested work into it to get it running.
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  10. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    On 2007/04/30 22:06 (GMT-0400) Percival P. Cassidy apparently typed:

    > On 04/30/07 08:21 pm Felix Miata wrote:

    >>> I'm thinking about using an Asus P5B

    >> Before laying out your money, consider the experiences of Linux users of
    >> Asus products if it were to become necessary to avail yourself of
    >> post-purchase support of an Asus motherboard (e.g. a warranty claim):
    >> http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

    > I've bought nothing but Asus motherboards for the last 15 years or so
    > and have never had a problem. My A8N-E runs eCS 1.2R and 2.0b4 in SMP
    > mode just fine.

    Most people have good luck with Asus products. That's not the issue. The
    issue is what happens if you have a problem that results in a need to deal
    with an Asus product's manufacturer - e.g. factory support.
    --
    "The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining
    ever brighter till the full light of day." Proverbs 4:18 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

  11. Re: Core 2 Duo systems?

    Felix Miata wrote:

    > Most people have good luck with Asus products. That's not the issue. The
    > issue is what happens if you have a problem that results in a need to deal
    > with an Asus product's manufacturer - e.g. factory support.

    I've heard all the horror stories, so I cringed when my son brought over a
    brand new Asus mb with a huge "pimple" on the top of the controller chip -
    no question that it was fried. Darned if he didn't have a replacement
    within a week! Not only that, about 2 weeks before the warranty period was
    up, the motherboard shorted and took out the power supply - he called and
    had a second replacement mb before the new power supply arrived - I thought
    I was in some weird fantasy land after all the stories I had read.

    --
    Will Honea

+ Reply to Thread