Re-install OS/2 - advice sought - OS2

This is a discussion on Re-install OS/2 - advice sought - OS2 ; Hi, It's a while since I last installed OS/2 (It just keeps running!) so any advice would be welcome. By today's standards the PC is a low spec machine - 300MHz processor, 128 MB RAM SCSI disks. The reason for ...

  1. Re-install OS/2 - advice sought

    Hi,

    It's a while since I last installed OS/2 (It just keeps running!) so
    any advice would be welcome.

    By today's standards the PC is a low spec machine - 300MHz processor,
    128 MB RAM SCSI disks.

    The reason for the re-install is to replace small SCSI disks with
    something more up to date. I have Warp 4.52 CD as well as Warp 4. My
    plan is to use Warp 4.52.

    Presumably for a new install I have to create boot floppies and
    proceed as usual.

    Anything I need to watch out for?

    TIA

    Jim
    --
    Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
    bona fide replies to j backus jita

  2. Re: Re-install OS/2 - advice sought

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:21:12 UTC, "Jim Backus"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It's a while since I last installed OS/2 (It just keeps running!) so
    > any advice would be welcome.
    >
    > By today's standards the PC is a low spec machine - 300MHz processor,
    > 128 MB RAM SCSI disks.
    >
    > The reason for the re-install is to replace small SCSI disks with
    > something more up to date. I have Warp 4.52 CD as well as Warp 4. My
    > plan is to use Warp 4.52.
    >
    > Presumably for a new install I have to create boot floppies and
    > proceed as usual.
    >
    > Anything I need to watch out for?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim

    Why not use DFSee to clone your current partition(s) from the old to
    the new disk(s). You could adjust partition sizes in the process. You
    would not have to re-install. This procedure would get you up adn
    running on the new disk(s) and you could do another install at your
    leisure, perhaps even eCS!

    HTH

    --
    Tom Brown, Catherder

  3. Re: Re-install OS/2 - advice sought

    Jim Backus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It's a while since I last installed OS/2 (It just keeps running!) so
    > any advice would be welcome.
    >
    > By today's standards the PC is a low spec machine - 300MHz processor,
    > 128 MB RAM SCSI disks.
    >
    > The reason for the re-install is to replace small SCSI disks with
    > something more up to date. I have Warp 4.52 CD as well as Warp 4. My
    > plan is to use Warp 4.52.
    >
    > Presumably for a new install I have to create boot floppies and
    > proceed as usual.
    >
    > Anything I need to watch out for?

    I found incompatibilities when attempting to install or even run Warp
    4.52 on Nforce 4 based motherboards. Also, doing a real 'install' on
    new hardware is pretty difficult and probably will not work. If you
    must create an entirely new desktop/install, then the best thing would
    be to install on older compatible hardware, update the kernel and
    drivers, and then xcopy that install over to the new hardware.
    Otherwise, just xcopy your old install over to the hard drive for the
    new hardware and then update the drivers for the new hardware such as
    NIC, video, sound, etc. I'm currently running Warp 4.52 on an Athlon X2
    system. The motherboard is an A8V deluxe socket 939 which is no longer
    sold but you can still find them if you google. As far as I know, it is
    the only motherboard that will let you run the SMP kernel with the
    dual-core Athlon processor.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: Re-install OS/2 - advice sought

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:16:54 UTC, "Tom Brown"
    wrote:

    > > The reason for the re-install is to replace small SCSI disks with
    > > something more up to date. I have Warp 4.52 CD as well as Warp 4. My
    > > plan is to use Warp 4.52.
    > >
    > > Presumably for a new install I have to create boot floppies and
    > > proceed as usual.
    > >
    > > Anything I need to watch out for?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Why not use DFSee to clone your current partition(s) from the old to
    > the new disk(s). You could adjust partition sizes in the process. You
    > would not have to re-install. This procedure would get you up adn
    > running on the new disk(s) and you could do another install at your
    > leisure, perhaps even eCS!

    OK, that's an interesting thought. However I wonder if it will work in
    view of the following:

    1. When I did the original installation, with a 2.1 GB SCSI disk and
    Adaptec 2940 UW controller, the Adaptec SCSI utility asked how the
    disk should be initialised. I believe the alternatives were the SCSI
    equivalents of non-LBA and LBA. I chose non-LBA and subsequently
    realised that I'd made the wrong choice. Is the mapping held on the
    drive or on the controller? I don't recall having the option for a
    different setting when I added a 4.3 GB drive. The drives that are
    waiting to be installed are 18 GB SCSI and I definitely want to use
    the "LBA" setting. I think CHKDSK since one of the early fixpacks has
    a problem with non "LBA" drives.

    2. The PC suffered a pretty serious crash when the 2.1 GB drive ran
    out of space and the installation has never been as stable since then.
    I assume that using DFsee would just migrate any obscure problems
    across to the new drive.

    ECS is definitely an option for the future. I should take more
    interest in what enhancements are likely to be added for the
    not-insignificant annual subscription.

    Any further advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks to both posters for advice so far.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
    bona fide replies to j backus jita
    demon co uk

  5. Re: Re-install OS/2 - advice sought

    On Apr 18, 4:23 pm, "Jim Backus" wrote:

    > 2. The PC suffered a pretty serious crash when the 2.1 GB drive ran
    > out of space and the installation has never been as stable since then.
    > I assume that using DFsee would just migrate any obscure problems
    > across to the new drive.

    do you have an old, pre-crash backup of that system partition? if so,
    when I am in your situation, I

    1) use DFSEE to save the partition info of the old disk
    2) replace the HD
    3) either boot from the DFSEE CD (may not be an option with your
    motherboard's BIOS if it's rather old) or from boot floppies
    4) use DFSEE to restore the partition info
    5) restore via your backup method -- one reason I stopped using DAT
    tapes, handy as they were, was that restoring from a CD drive is
    relatively easier, i.e., I don't have to be sure the tape is
    accessible from the maintenance partition, or be at the mercy of
    arcane, expensive, or no-longer-supported programs in order to restore
    or repair.

+ Reply to Thread