Problem shrinking XP partition - OS2

This is a discussion on Problem shrinking XP partition - OS2 ; I've been changing the partition arrangement on an XP machine to make space for an OS/2 (ECS 1.2R) installation. Using the latest version of DFSee I was unable to shrink the full-disk XP partition and then get XP to boot ...

  1. Problem shrinking XP partition

    I've been changing the partition arrangement on an XP machine to make
    space for an OS/2 (ECS 1.2R) installation. Using the latest version of
    DFSee I was unable to shrink the full-disk XP partition and then get XP
    to boot successfully (instead a blue screen with error msg). The
    harddisk was a new unused disk withe XP installed from a Norton Ghost
    backup.
    According to documentation, DFSEE should cope with this (I think).
    After some experimentation, I used gparted from a Linux recovery disk to
    successfully shrink the XP partition. Strangely, after that, DFSEE would
    also successfully resize the partition (gparted didn't shrink the
    partition to a proper boundary, but DFSEE corrected this). And also I
    had to use DFSEE to initialise the LVM data.
    So I got there in the end but what I dont know is whether there is a
    limitation in DFSEE or maybe I didn't follow the exact required
    procedure in some way. What I am interested in is can someone point me
    to an exact description of the process of using DFSEE to shrink an XP
    partition. I would like to pin things down more precisely.
    Regards
    Peter

  2. Re: Problem shrinking XP partition

    On Apr 10, 3:57 am, Peter J Seymour wrote:

    > So I got there in the end but what I dont know is whether there is a
    > limitation in DFSEE or maybe I didn't follow the exact required
    > procedure in some way. What I am interested in is can someone point me
    > to an exact description of the process of using DFSEE to shrink an XP
    > partition. I would like to pin things down more precisely.
    > Regards
    > Peter

    have you not asked Jan? I can't imagine his not being helpful.

  3. Re: Problem shrinking XP partition

    rafe wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 3:57 am, Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >

    >>So I got there in the end but what I dont know is whether there is a
    >>limitation in DFSEE or maybe I didn't follow the exact required
    >>procedure in some way. What I am interested in is can someone point me
    >>to an exact description of the process of using DFSEE to shrink an XP
    >>partition. I would like to pin things down more precisely.
    >>Regards
    >>Peter

    > have you not asked Jan? I can't imagine his not being helpful.

    Good point, will do. I'm obviously too used to general discussions.
    Regards
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread