Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse - OS2

This is a discussion on Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse - OS2 ; I have gone through the install switching from a serial mouse to specify a PS/2 style mouse. Everything goes OK, power off, remove the serial mouse, and then plug in the PS/2 mouse. On power on and part way during ...

  1. Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

    I have gone through the install switching from a serial mouse to
    specify a PS/2 style mouse. Everything goes OK, power off, remove the
    serial mouse, and then plug in the PS/2 mouse. On power on and part way
    during OS/2 boot-up, I get a error about the vmouse. Seems to recall
    that there was a problem years back when it came to switching mice. Can
    anyone tell me how to fix this?

  2. Re: Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

    scott writes:
    > I have gone through the install switching from a serial mouse to
    >specify a PS/2 style mouse. Everything goes OK, power off, remove the
    >serial mouse, and then plug in the PS/2 mouse. On power on and part way
    >during OS/2 boot-up, I get a error about the vmouse. Seems to recall
    >that there was a problem years back when it came to switching mice. Can
    >anyone tell me how to fix this?

    Hello,

    I had a serial mouse attached to my multi-boot system. It was
    showing signs of dying, and Windows upchucked at some point. So
    I added a PS/2 style mouse and left the serial attached. At some
    point, OS/2 recognized the PS/2 mouse and not the serial. With
    no intervention on my part.

    DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

    A Mouse Systems mouse in 2 button mode if that makes a
    difference.

    HTH

    Steve N.

  3. Re: Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

    Sir:

    scott wrote:
    > I have gone through the install switching from a serial mouse to
    > specify a PS/2 style mouse. Everything goes OK, power off, remove the
    > serial mouse, and then plug in the PS/2 mouse. On power on and part way
    > during OS/2 boot-up, I get a error about the vmouse. Seems to recall
    > that there was a problem years back when it came to switching mice. Can
    > anyone tell me how to fix this?

    In System Setup -> Hardware manager -> properties, change detection to
    full detection next boot only and reboot.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Switrching from serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

    scott wrote:
    > I have gone through the install switching from a serial mouse to
    > specify a PS/2 style mouse. Everything goes OK, power off, remove the
    > serial mouse, and then plug in the PS/2 mouse. On power on and part way
    > during OS/2 boot-up, I get a error about the vmouse. Seems to recall
    > that there was a problem years back when it came to switching mice. Can
    > anyone tell me how to fix this?

    Most likely there is a parameter in the command line of mouse.sys.
    Something like serial=com1 or similar (don't remember exactly).
    Remove this parameter in your config.sys and it should be fine.

    DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

    Marcel

+ Reply to Thread