New RAM kills mouse - OS2

This is a discussion on New RAM kills mouse - OS2 ; OK, this is really puzzling me. The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty. I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a number of bad sectors. So I bought a ...

  1. New RAM kills mouse

    OK, this is really puzzling me.

    The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty.
    I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a number
    of bad sectors. So I bought a new pair of 512 DIMMs (same specs as above)
    and tried to swap them in the other night.

    With the replacement RAM, the box boots up as before, and everything seems
    fine... until OS/2 starts, at which point I discover that the mouse WILL
    NOT WORK. Sometimes I get an error message that VMOUSE.SYS could not be
    loaded... other times the desktop starts without incident, but the mouse
    pointer is stuck in the centre of the screen and does not respond to
    anything.

    My normal mouse is a fairly standard USB mouse; I tried swapping in an
    IBM-branded PS/2 mouse instead, but the same thing happens.

    If I boot into Windows, everything (mouse and all) works fine, so I don't
    think it can be a hardware conflict. It's just OS/2 that won't operate
    the mouse anymore.

    If I take the new RAM out and put the old RAM back in, the mouse works
    again.

    Can anybody offer any insights?

    The box is an AMD Athlon64 3700+ with a Tyan Tomcat K8E motherbord. OS/2
    is at eCS 1.2r level, kernel 14.103a; the USB and mouse drivers are at the
    latest versions, and CONFIG.SYS seems to have all the drivers it should.

    TIA...
    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  2. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    Alex Taylor
    ], who wrote in article <460d2621$0$69373$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>:
    > The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty.
    > I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a number
    > of bad sectors. So I bought a new pair of 512 DIMMs (same specs as above)
    > and tried to swap them in the other night.

    You did not report results of memtest on the new memory...

    Ilya

  3. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    > With the replacement RAM, the box boots up as before, and everything seems
    > fine... until OS/2 starts, at which point I discover that the mouse WILL
    > NOT WORK. Sometimes I get an error message that VMOUSE.SYS could not be
    > loaded... other times the desktop starts without incident, but the mouse
    > pointer is stuck in the centre of the screen and does not respond to
    > anything.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any insights?

    Have you tried just one of the new RAM modules?
    What is your BIOS setting for determining the RAM type?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    alextaylor41@HATrogers.com "Alex Taylor" writes:

    > OK, this is really puzzling me.
    >
    > [dodgy RAM]

    All I can think of (but don't attach much signifiance to that, as
    I am NOT an OS/2 guru by any means) is everyone saying, in OS/2's
    early days, that it tends to stress-test RAM more than some OSes,
    because it uses as much as it can through pre-loading what s/ware
    it can. Maybe there are holes in the RAM -- or in those circuits
    which address it?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  5. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:02:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > Can anybody offer any insights?

    I had similar trouble with my mouse on an Athlon XP box and 'fixed' it by
    installing amouse instead.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    Sir:

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > OK, this is really puzzling me.
    >
    > The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty.
    > I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a number
    > of bad sectors. So I bought a new pair of 512 DIMMs (same specs as above)
    > and tried to swap them in the other night.
    >
    > With the replacement RAM, the box boots up as before, and everything seems
    > fine... until OS/2 starts, at which point I discover that the mouse WILL
    > NOT WORK. Sometimes I get an error message that VMOUSE.SYS could not be
    > loaded... other times the desktop starts without incident, but the mouse
    > pointer is stuck in the centre of the screen and does not respond to
    > anything.
    >
    > My normal mouse is a fairly standard USB mouse; I tried swapping in an
    > IBM-branded PS/2 mouse instead, but the same thing happens.
    >
    > If I boot into Windows, everything (mouse and all) works fine, so I don't
    > think it can be a hardware conflict. It's just OS/2 that won't operate
    > the mouse anymore.
    >
    > If I take the new RAM out and put the old RAM back in, the mouse works
    > again.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any insights?
    >
    > The box is an AMD Athlon64 3700+ with a Tyan Tomcat K8E motherbord. OS/2
    > is at eCS 1.2r level, kernel 14.103a; the USB and mouse drivers are at the
    > latest versions, and CONFIG.SYS seems to have all the drivers it should.
    >
    > TIA...

    Any customized settings in BIOS?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:02:11 UTC, Alex Taylor wrote:

    > If I boot into Windows, everything (mouse and all) works fine, so I don't
    > think it can be a hardware conflict. It's just OS/2 that won't operate
    > the mouse anymore.
    >
    > If I take the new RAM out and put the old RAM back in, the mouse works
    > again.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any insights?

    Not really, but perhaps your RAM timings in the BIOS are set too fast
    for the new RAM and for some reason that is only uncovered by that
    driver...
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  8. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    In <460d2621$0$69373$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>, on 03/30/07
    at 10:02 AM, Alex Taylor said:

    >OK, this is really puzzling me.

    >The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty.
    >I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a
    >number of bad sectors. So I bought a new pair of 512 DIMMs (same specs
    >as above) and tried to swap them in the other night.

    >With the replacement RAM, the box boots up as before, and everything
    >seems fine... until OS/2 starts, at which point I discover that the mouse
    >WILL NOT WORK. Sometimes I get an error message that VMOUSE.SYS could
    >not be loaded... other times the desktop starts without incident, but the
    >mouse pointer is stuck in the centre of the screen and does not respond
    >to anything.

    >My normal mouse is a fairly standard USB mouse; I tried swapping in an
    >IBM-branded PS/2 mouse instead, but the same thing happens.

    >If I boot into Windows, everything (mouse and all) works fine, so I don't
    >think it can be a hardware conflict. It's just OS/2 that won't operate
    >the mouse anymore.

    >If I take the new RAM out and put the old RAM back in, the mouse works
    >again.

    >Can anybody offer any insights?

    >The box is an AMD Athlon64 3700+ with a Tyan Tomcat K8E motherbord. OS/2
    >is at eCS 1.2r level, kernel 14.103a; the USB and mouse drivers are at
    >the latest versions, and CONFIG.SYS seems to have all the drivers it
    >should.

    I had a similar problem with a mouse not working when I tried to change my
    video card from a Matrox G450 to an ATI Radeon 9650. System booted up
    fine, Snap recognized new card, mouse pointer appeared - and wouldn't
    move. Worked fine in Windows (which I rarely use.) Plug G450 back in,
    and all was well. I'm also at eCS 1.2R level, far as I know, mouse is
    Kensington Expert Mouse using Kensington OS/2 driver.

    You did answer my question about eCS and 64 bit, though. Doesn't
    answer why my motherboard refuses to let me update my RAM from two 256M
    sticks.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  9. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:40:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, nobody@junk.min.net
    wrote:

    > Doesn't
    > answer why my motherboard refuses to let me update my RAM from two 256M
    > sticks.

    Open an OS/2 command prompt and go to the root directory of your boot drive and
    run

    dir /a os2ldr
    bldlevel os2krnl

    and report the results here.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  10. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:42:36 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > > Can anybody offer any insights?

    > I had similar trouble with my mouse on an Athlon XP box and 'fixed' it by
    > installing amouse instead.

    That seems to have fixed that problem... installing AMouse after putting
    the new RAM back in gets me my mouse pointer back.

    However, I've just discovered something even more disturbing: if I boot
    to command line (BootOS/2 partition) with the new RAM installed... my
    KEYBOARD doesn't work!

    This seems very reminiscent of problems I had installing off the eCS 1.2r
    CD when I first got this box. Whenever I booted off CD, the mouse
    wouldn't work when booted to PM, and the keyboard wouldn't work when
    booted to command line. I wonder if it's something to do with the AMD64
    hardware, or maybe an ACPI thing?

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  11. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:05:44 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > ], who wrote in article <460d2621$0$69373$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>:
    >> The RAM in my box (512MB DDR3200 SDRAM DIMM x2) seems to be a bit faulty.
    >> I've been getting odd crashes periodically, and memtest86 reports a number
    >> of bad sectors. So I bought a new pair of 512 DIMMs (same specs as above)
    >> and tried to swap them in the other night.

    > You did not report results of memtest on the new memory...

    Haven't tried it yet... I probably will soon, though.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  12. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:21:22 -0700, Jim Moe
    wrote:
    >> With the replacement RAM, the box boots up as before, and everything seems
    >> fine... until OS/2 starts, at which point I discover that the mouse WILL
    >> NOT WORK. Sometimes I get an error message that VMOUSE.SYS could not be
    >> loaded... other times the desktop starts without incident, but the mouse
    >> pointer is stuck in the centre of the screen and does not respond to
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> Can anybody offer any insights?

    > Have you tried just one of the new RAM modules?

    No... I need to use matched DIMMs, so I'd have to match it up with one of
    the old ones. Given the amount of time I've spent fiddling in the case so
    far, I'm a bit reluctant to go mixing and matching like this unless I have
    to.

    I probably will eventually, though... if nothing else, to see which of the
    old DIMMs has the bad addresses.

    > What is your BIOS setting for determining the RAM type?

    "Auto", as far as I can tell.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  13. Re: New RAM kills mouse

    On 31 Mar 2007 15:23:57 GMT, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    >> If I boot into Windows, everything (mouse and all) works fine, so I don't
    >> think it can be a hardware conflict. It's just OS/2 that won't operate
    >> the mouse anymore.
    >>
    >> If I take the new RAM out and put the old RAM back in, the mouse works
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Can anybody offer any insights?

    > Not really, but perhaps your RAM timings in the BIOS are set too fast
    > for the new RAM and for some reason that is only uncovered by that
    > driver...

    Well, the BIOS settings for RAM timing is set to "auto". The settings are
    so obscure, though, that I'd be completely lost trying to set them
    manually.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex